• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
This goes along with any racially or other cultrally-insulting word. There's no easy solution. The easiest example of this dilemma comes from the n-word.

I have to say n-word because the censors will block it, which is not the case with gay.

Anyway, there's basically two options. You can try to ignore it, and call anyone who uses it a racist. This will never erase the word completely, and it actually empowers it in a way. It's also hard to ignore every time, and trying to educate/yell at everyone who uses it out of disrespect is not only difficult but exhausting.

Alternatively, you can embrace it and use it all the time. If it's commonly used all the time then it's not a problem, right? Well, just because you take the sting out of being called an idiot doesn't mean the other person is going to stop thinking you're an idiot. In a way, it just reassures that sentiment. This also gives practically everyone the free right to use whatever word whenever, which only alters the problem and doesn't really get rid of anything.

So you see, there's never really an answer at all to a hateful word. What's better for some is outrageous for others. So for me, I just do what's most fun.

Gaylord Perry.

Art?

Smash Journeyman
yeah ******, stop being gay.

lol @ gayferd

i don't think being hetero/homo/bisexual is a choice at all; you just... are.

gayferd i'm just joking don't **** my gay arse.

edit: i think i might wanna enter teams if someone wants to go dual falcon with me.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I don't know if being gay is a choice.

I know that being a certain race is not. That's the ONLY difference between the two, in this case.

I don't think it's wrong to like or dislike someone based on uncontrollable factors. If you people of a certain race are better looking than those of another race, there's nothing wrong with that and it's incredibly common. Races are simply not equal.

It's equally OK to like or dislike someone based on their choices. So either way you look at it, it's perfectly OK to have an opinion of someone based on whether or not they're gay. It's a personal choice.

But no matter your decisions, it's usually useless to use terms you think someone might take as derogatory, and you're just being an ******* if you continue after someone asks you to stop and you continue in their presence.

But in a public forum, why should lots of people conform to one because of such little consequence?

SuperRad

Smash Master
from personal experience:
the straight people who get offended by people using "gay" get more offended then gay people do.
it's just like how the "native americans" i know think that the word "indian" is fine, and actually use the term more then stupid pc **** like "indigenous persons" or whatever dumb **** white people think of.

edit: this doesn't always apply to other racial slurs like "the n-word". generally that one is widely hated by black people. although they do call eachother ******....

Zelgadîs ™

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's wrong to like or dislike someone based on uncontrollable factors. If you people of a certain race are better looking than those of another race, there's nothing wrong with that and it's incredibly common. Races are simply not equal.

It's equally OK to like or dislike someone based on their choices. So either way you look at it, it's perfectly OK to have an opinion of someone based on whether or not they're gay. It's a personal choice.

But in a public forum, why should lots of people conform to one because of such little consequence?

You don't think it's wrong to like or dislike someone based on uncontrollable factors? So, I could not like you cause you're ugly, and thats alright? I don't agree. If I don't like you because you're black, I think that's also wrong. You're hella weird. "If people of a certain race are better looking than those of another race".....WTF does that mean? Races are simply not equal? What does that mean? You're racist.

It is ok to like or dislike someone based on their choices, but I don't think thats necessarily right either. Granted it might not be wrong, but that's also sort of saying I don't like you because you play Ice Climbers. Or I don't like you because you like your hair long. It's ridiculous.

You're really confusing. Not in a good way. You go on about how choice is perfectly ok, and it totally looks like you're supporting racism and sexism, and then you turn around and write that last sentence "But in a public forum, why should lots of people conform to one because of such little consequence?". It seems like you're playing both sides. Just support something. If you don't support one side, don't argue both.

My good friend, you are entitled to your opinion, but not to your facts. :D Couldn't you say the same about converting religions? Anyways. This is my last post on the topic.

p.s.
uh... I don't eat meat, but I'm not trying to convert anybody, and I don't see what that has to do with anything. ?:/

My point was that only people who are gay should be offended by the use of the word, or the words' euphemisms. Religion is a completely different topic. I can only think that you brought it up because you realize you're wrong or don't know what else to say, and trying to cover that fact up by introducing a topic that isn't relevant. We're talking about uses of the word gay being offensive to homosexuals. Not converting religion, and not racial stereotypes or racism in general.

I say it's a good call by Rey about you being vegetarian. EVERY of Vegetarian that I've ever known, and have heard about, usually try to argue something controversial rather than just letting the topic slide and die out. How often do board users reference gay anyway? It might be a lot, it probably isn't as much as a lot of other offensive things they could be talking about.

Bwuahahahaha! I never noticed that my post sounded like a poem!

And god bless you Zelgadis. God bless you.

And Justin, are you sure it was Jewish? It very well could have been Islam.

One more thing: Jewish is not a race, it is a religion. I think Hebrew is a race... I think.

I'm not religious. Don't bless me :-p

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Homosexuality isn't a black and white "gay or straight" thing. Each person's sexuality is a linear combination of hetero- and homo-. If a "straight" person does something considered "gay" once, there seems to be a tendency to call him gay, whereas if a "gay" person does something heterosexual once, surely most people wouldn't start calling him straight. My point is that it's a spectrum, it's not binary. In my experience it's rare that anyone is exactly totally 100% on one extreme of the spectrum.

As for "being gay" being a choice or not, I'd say that having the desires is not a choice. That is, being gay or straight or whatever combination, in the MIND is just a product of how your brain is wired. I mean, if we could choose our desires, there would be no such thing as obesity because we would choose to desire healthy foods (not to say homosexuality is unhealthy by analogy of course). But living the lifestyle is a choice. Taking action based upon the desires is a choice.

Now, does it deserve ridicule, or hate speech directed against it? Who cares. You can make fun of absolutely anything if you give it the right tone and context. I personally think calling something 'gay' is ********, since I don't think it's an inherently bad thing, and the use of 'gay' doesn't really generally even make fun of the stereotypes of 'gay,' which would make it funny if it did. It's like people arbitraritly co-opted the word as a synonym for 'lame' or what have you, which doesn't really make sense. So my gripe with it is really that it doesn't make sense, and it's not funny, not that it's offensive. If some group didn't like the name that ws in general use for their group because it was a misnomer, that's different than just simply not liking the word because people start to co-opt it into meaning something different (although if eventually the primary meaning became the negative one that it was co-opted to mean, then that would warrant a change). In fact, I generally use 'gay' and '******' in ways that are intended to make fun of people who overuse the words. So perhaps it's not the word itself that has meaning or value:

Really when you get down to it though, the words that you use to express ideas are purely arbitrary in the first place. There's nothing intrinsic to the sequence of sounds 'g-a-y' that make it offensive, it's purely the context that it's been given. So it's the context and the idea itself that are what really matter in the first place. The idea of 'profanity' is arbitrary and stupid.

Of course I should also mention that having a gay friend (which I have many) or being gay yourself doesn't give you carte blanche to say things about gays, nor does it make you any more or less 'correct' about your position.

I don't get offended by anything, I'll just think you're an idiot, and I'll have a good reason why to think so.

Lunchbox

Smash Journeyman
Man what you guys are talkin bout is gay.

BUT FOR THE RECORD BEING GAY IS A CHOICE, THEY CHOSE TO LOVE MEN AND BE GAY THEY NOT BORN THAT WAY THERE IS NOT A GAY GENE BEING PASSED AROUND BY YOUR MOM AND DAD BEING GAY IS SOMTHIN THAT SOME ****** CHOOSES!

BUT I LOVE LESBIANS BYAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

SuperRad

Smash Master

BUT FOR THE RECORD BEING GAY IS A CHOICE, THEY CHOSE TO LOVE MEN AND BE GAY THEY NOT BORN THAT WAY THERE IS NOT A GAY GENE BEING PASSED AROUND BY YOUR MOM AND DAD BEING GAY IS SOMTHIN THAT SOME ****** CHOOSES!

sexuality is not like chosing what clothes to wear.

it's like, a taste. for example, my tastes in music are pretty erratic. i listen to somethings that people would listen to and say "wtf is this noize". yet, when I listen to it, it sounds good. of course, i could listen to things i don't like just to fit into some kind of group. but who wants to do this? wouldn't we all rather listen to things that we think sound good, regardless of the social stigma?
it's just how my brain interprets the sounds I hear.

[this is probably not scientifically accurate, but it works. you know?]

Miharu

Smash Hero

Yeah, prove it. There have been some scientific studies that say otherwise.

But yes, we all love lesbians ^^

MyKo

Smash Lord
You Probably Can Tell After IP Tracking Me.
poloPOPlLOPLL

LO
OLPP
L[L
O
P
OLLKKOP

KO
LO

LL
L
OL

Sheridan said Carte Blanche.

that sounded like food..*Thinks.

wtf you guys stop making more pages of 'gayness'..

sooner or later people are going to wonder why are thread has the most pages..and this'll be one reason.

lol. hmm to be literal, this definitely belongs in the "Debate Hall" section of SWF.

anywayyy..back to this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U5mT3FHiURQ&mode=related&search=

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Zelgadis said:
You don't think it's wrong to like or dislike someone based on uncontrollable factors? So, I could not like you cause you're ugly, and thats alright? I don't agree. If I don't like you because you're black, I think that's also wrong. You're hella weird. "If people of a certain race are better looking than those of another race".....WTF does that mean? Races are simply not equal? What does that mean? You're racist.
What I'm saying is that you can't blame someone for having preferences - someone can't be blamed as being racist simply for finding someone of their own race more attractive than another race. Technically, that is racist, but that doesn't mean there should be any negative connotations which should be attached to it.

Also, I think races differ more because of upbringing than because of their actual race. For example, a white person brought up in Africa in the fifteenth century would bear no resemblance to a German in his behavior.

Zelgadis said:
It is ok to like or dislike someone based on their choices, but I don't think thats necessarily right either. Granted it might not be wrong, but that's also sort of saying I don't like you because you play Ice Climbers. Or I don't like you because you like your hair long. It's ridiculous.
I agree with you here. Personally, when I see someone acting stereotypical, I try to avoid judging them prematurely - even though I may have biases. I keep in mind that all I think may be wrong.

Zelgadis said:
You're really confusing. Not in a good way. You go on about how choice is perfectly ok, and it totally looks like you're supporting racism and sexism, and then you turn around and write that last sentence "But in a public forum, why should lots of people conform to one because of such little consequence?". It seems like you're playing both sides. Just support something. If you don't support one side, don't argue both.
I mean that it doesn't make sense for multiple people to subject themselves to one for no reason. So Jay shouldn't expect everyone to stop just because he happens to be offended.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Haha this reminds me of the time I got banned. I "offended" someone in the Brawl section and I remember my words going along the lines of this: "lol my little brother (who is 8 years old) likes to make fun of the wii. He calls it the 'wii wii' lol." Somebody got offended and I was banned for 2 months wtf. I hate Brawl n00bs.

from personal experience:
the straight people who get offended by people using "gay" get more offended then gay people do.
it's just like how the "native americans" i know think that the word "indian" is fine, and actually use the term more then stupid pc **** like "indigenous persons" or whatever dumb **** white people think of.
I read an essay that shows the life of a crippled woman. She agrees with you. She says that she doesn't want to be called "handicapped" because, in reality, she is crippled. And she is not in denial, and she doesn't get offended so easily.

But yes, we all love lesbians ^^
Meh. The only reason you like them is because of what they do. But have you met one? A lot of them are.... well I'm sorry but they are b****s. They spitefully say that I am a "****ing man."

And one more thing: I am confident that I will be going to this tourney but unfortunately I will probably be late for singles so I'm only gonna play friendlies. I'm also bringing a Cube but I have to leave and take it with me at 8:30 PM.

Lunchbox

Smash Journeyman
Super Rad

you choose to listen to that music, and some ppl chose to be gay and like the same sex it is somethin they chose

Hydro Kirby

Who cares bout Science when it comes to gays they Choose to live that life style

AND WHO EVER DOESNT LIKE LESBIANS MUST BE GAY

MyKo

Smash Lord
You Probably Can Tell After IP Tracking Me.
Super Rad

you choose to listen to that music, and some ppl chose to be gay and like the same sex it is somethin they chose

Hydro Kirby

Who cares bout Science when it comes to gays they Choose to live that life style

AND WHO EVER DOESNT LIKE LESBIANS MUST BE GAY
i rather watch 2 MapleStory girls make out.

if that isn't considered as female-ness, i must be gay then.

LOLOOLOLOLL[KP
[
L
L
[OK
PKM

yuck this keyboard cant spam as good..w/e lOLOLF D*)UOJZXK:{<CPAU

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
BTW, why haven't you come over in like, a long long time?
Mostly because school + 80 miles each way = a tired Ragado :/

School got out just recently but I took a few days for Pound 2, and now I'm going on vacation for about 3 weeks starting Friday...so yeah, see you guys July 21st I hope. I miss my dear Concordians.

Sheridan come to sac and i'll give u a whole turkey
I don't like turkey. John Madden does though. I went to trivia at a pub with my friends tonight and our team name was John Madden Popcorn Popper and the BigLots Boys.

Top Bottom