• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noctis Warps into Battle! (FFXV Pocket Edition for Switch)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

Noctis is the main character of Final Fantasy XV.

The reason I support Noctis as a character is because, as usual, I think he would bring a totally new playstyle. Don't jump to conclusions, just because of the sword. Originally, I had absolutely no hopes for his inclusion, due to Final Fantasy XV being PS4/XONE/PC exclusive. But Cloud's inclusion alone increases his chances. And with the Pocket Edition of Final Fantasy XV coming to the Switch, Noctis now officially has a presense in Nintendo, other than Minecraft. Furthermore, if the below sources are legit, Square Enix has been trying to port FFXV to the Switch, albeit with little success. That said, if in the end we do get a Switch port, whom knows what could happen?

Keep in mind, though, that the below articles are several months old. And minds can change quite a bit in a month.

https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-15-switch-153/
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...o-get-full-fat-final-fantasy-15-on-the-switch

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I saw this coming, from you anyways. I personally support it mostly for Noctis' cool power of teleporting with his sword. Though I do not think he will get in over Sora.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Hmm, it isn't that farfeteched since SE had allowed Noctis to be in Tekken 7 and I am sure they want to try and give FFXV more exposure as they keeping making definitive editions of the game. I can see him replacing Cloud if it came to it.

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see Noctis I would hope that Cloud dont get cut and Geno has to be in the roster too Sakurai wants him in smash sense Brawl.

startmirca

Smash Rookie
I have my own moveset for Noctis! Please add to OP if you wish.

Up-B : Warp-Strike - Noctis will throw the Engine Blade in the direction in which the player's control stick is tilted, or upwards if it is not tilted and then warp to that direction. If the Engine Blade hits an opponent, the opponent will take damage from the hit and then Noctis will reappear in that direction to launch the opponent. The farther away from his opponent Noctis is, the greater damage he deals when using the move. If the Engine Blade hits a ledge, the Engine Blade will stick to the ledge and Noctis will hang on to the blade (this is a reference to his point-warp ability from FFXV), while hanging on to the ledge-stuck Engine Blade, Noctis can use his Up-B special again while tilting the direction stick to another direction. A silhouette (akin to Fox Illusion) is shown for 5 seconds from the possition Noctis started his Warp-Strike, note that this is a reference to the “Warp Decoy” upgrade from the Ascension tree and this is just aesthetic.

Neutral-B: Ring of the Lucii - Death: A special grab. At startup, Noctis will cast Ring Magic in front of himself that pulls in the nearest foe (due to the windbox). The moment the foe gets trapped in the ring magic, the foe will start taking damage before being launched by Noctis around 4 seconds later. Noctis will be healed around 15% as soon as the unlucky opponent gets launched (unlike Nosferatu which heals damage to Robin while dealing damage to the opponent). If the grabbed opponent gets hit by something else (such as being hit by another player) while Noctis is using the Neutral-B on him/her, Noctis doesn't get healed.

Side-B: Elemancy: Noctis will throw a Magic flask forward, with the Magic flask being covered with the area-of-effect visual from FFXV corresponding with the Elemental spell in the flask. First it’ll be a fire attack inside the flask, the next time Elemancy is used, it’ll be the Blizzard spell, which obviously Ice damage and freezes the opponent if damage is high enough and then after all, the spell becomes Thunder, which deals electric damage. After Thunder, it’ll be Fire again and so on. This gives Noctis some sort of physical projectile (like Link’s arrows or his bombs) that explode upon coming in contact with an opponent, so as a result, it isn’t absorbable.

Down-B: Ring of the Lucii - Holy: A counteattack. Noctis instantaneously smites foes with sacred energy and deals holy damage to nearby enemies. Counter window is slightly longer than most but is slightly weaker (around x1.1 damage only, making it weaker than Marcina’s). Timing it PERFECTLY with an attack makes Noctis do a strong Holy that gives it a x1.4 damage multiplier (making it stronger than most counters, but has a stricter timing than most).

Final Smash: Armiger Chain - Noctis says “You’re done for” as spectral weapons (the Royal Arms) summon around Noctis. Opponents nearby Noctis are sucked inside the attack and his friends show (Ignis, Prompto and Gladiolus) show up with royal arms to attack as one. It also shows “Armiger Chain” with a green font in front of the screen.

Throws:

Down-throw: Final hit of “Legacy of the Lucii”
- Noctis lands a strike with an Area of Effect magic attack on the ground that deals damage.

Back-throw: Royal Cleave - Noctis turns his opponents behind him and cloaks a sword in a magic aura, faces the other side and slashes forward.

Up-throw: Dynastic Stance - Takes a stance and summons phantom swords around Noctis, swords rain down the opponent as Nocts throws the upwards. Multi-Hit throw (just like how Falco and Fox use their Blasters at the opponent)

Forward-throw: Apocalypsis - Brings the royal arms in front of Noctis in a cylindrical formation that damages foes and shoots it forward, splitting into multiple bolts.

Note that the animations would have to be quicker than in FFXV.

Other:

-One of Noctis' taunts will have him blow the Beast Whistle, complete with the sound and pose he does upon using it in FFXV.

Entrance:

- Noctis warps into battle (not above from the sky like Cloud), it’s the animation he does when a battle ends while playing as one of his friends, he warps to the front of the screen (signifying that the player has control of him again).

Note that I am not done with his moveset just yet.

Altais

Smash Champion
I would love to write a moveset of mine own, but since I haven't played FFXV, I don't really have much to go on.

But I must agree that Warp Strike should be one of his specials. I actually thought of that same idea, only with minor differences. In mine idea, Warp Strike is his Neutral Special. He can throw the sword in any direction. When he Warp Strikes someone, he can then perform any attack he wants. I think Noctis should be able to cancel the Warp after throwing the weapon, as a means to bait and punish.

Like Cloud, I'd rather not have elemental magick in Noctis's moveset, and instead focus his playstyle on his Warp magick and Spectral Weapons. His jab and tilts could involve lighter weapons, while his smashes would involve the heavier weapons. Since his Warp Strike gives him ample mobility, I think they should balance that out with slow running speed.

Basically, Noctis's primary approach would be the Warp Strike, followed by a grab or normal attack. Alternatively, he could fake an approach by cancelling the Warp, then punish the enemy with a smash.

Those are mine ideas, at any rate. Again, I haven't played the game, so I don't have many building blocks.

Last edited:

startmirca

Smash Rookie
Well, well,well. What have we got here. FFXV Pocket Edition HD is coming to the Nintendo Switch, making it the latest FF main title since FFVI to be released on Nintendo consoles:

Although I don’t think this means anything regarding Noctis and Smash, it’s nice to see Noctis make an appearance for a Nintendo console (and it’s not even a cameo).

Watch as Pocket Edition Noctis becomes playable in Smash

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Interesting. I might invest in this game, depending on what GameSpot has to say about it. And until Square Enix says otherwise, I'm still keeping mine hopes up for the full version coming to the Switch.

Originally, I lost all hope for Noctis after it was revealed that every fighter was returning. But since Richter's reveal opened the door to more third-party characters per franchise, I've been wondering if Noctis will stand a chance, if DLC is confirmed.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Well, well,well. What have we got here. FFXV Pocket Edition HD is coming to the Nintendo Switch, making it the latest FF main title since FFVI to be released on Nintendo consoles:

Although I don’t think this means anything regarding Noctis and Smash, it’s nice to see Noctis make an appearance for a Nintendo console (and it’s not even a cameo).

Watch as Pocket Edition Noctis becomes playable in Smash
Too bad people are giving it flak for not being the real deal when there is no way, shape or form that the Switch can take it, even PC, PS4Pro can barely run it stablely because of the engine it was on.
Anyway while Lightning is my foremost choice for a new FF rep, I have Noctis as my second choice with Terra being 3rd, and besides, warping around the stage would be fun as heck. Btw, Altais Altais if you have time, update the main post with info that Noct has his game on a Nintendo console, so if he got in, he at least has an affiliation with the big N.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Besides Tidus and Squall, Noctis is definitely my favorite FF character. And one that has actually a chance to make it in as a DLC character.
I definitely support him for DLC <3

As for his move-set instead of using all the weapons and the warp strike mechanic, I would love Noctis to have his Link Strike mechanic for once.

I love each party member in FFXV and so I would love for Noctis to use the help of each of them in his move-set for example Gladio can appear when you shield or use a FSmash, Prompto can use a projectil together with Noct, Ignis could do a jump with him as a recovery tool and so on.
With that move-set you could also mix in warp strikes and armiger chains since those are iconic for Noctis. But I rly hope IF he makes it in, that the other 3 will support him while he fights since his FFXV move-set is based on his teamwork with his bros!

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
What would his specials be??
There are a bunch of options for that matter. He could either cast spells, use warp strikes, use different weapons, use ring of Lucii, use Link Attacks, use his team work special moves with his bro's,...

The possibilites are endless. I just hope they don't do the basic warp mechanic since he already does that in Dissidia and Tekken and that would be boring a 3rd time lol.

D

Deleted member

You ever have a character whose thread you want to support, but decide not to voice it because you feel like you'd be supporting too many threads of a character from that series? That's the reason why I never commented on the matter of Noctis in Smash until now since I felt like I'd be supporting too many threads of Square-Enix characters.

But I've decided to go ahead an ask to be added to the support list. I don't know if he's really hit Cloud levels yet. But Noctis is still one of Final Fantasy's most notable faces and his weapon warping ability combined with a chance of Square being less stingy about FF stuff in Ultimate makes me like the idea.

Top Bottom