• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No sympathy: Ike Video thread

Commander

Smash Ace
I was nervous druing game 1 which caused excessive fsmashes. Any advice would be welcome.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
This was awhile ago, but I got 9th at WTFox for PM and this is the set that put me into that spot.

Thoughts? @metroid1117 and everyone else?
I had the pleasure of playing Iori this weekend at RSB1, which I too switched to Ike and clutched out the 3-0 after he beat me the first two.

I'll post the vods here when they get uploaded.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
I was nervous druing game 1 which caused excessive fsmashes. Any advice would be welcome.
You played pretty solid imo just need to mix up your QD options a little more. I think every time you were at Frame advantage for a QD you would go for a grab which it looked like your oppoenent caught on to it.

Also when your back is faced against the ledge and you have an opponent grabbed always throw them down first as that will tell you right then if they know how to DI it properly and you get the BAir follow up. and seeing as you do not have enough space to QD and keep aerial momentum it is also the safest option.

Other than that try a little more QD spacing when you are in neutral, there were times where you were just sitting there as your oppoenent was approaching you or going for the dash dancing mind games. A few QD's and WD's would have your opponent thinking twice on their approach.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Ended up using Ike at RSB1 in NWA about two weeks ago in Loser's finals and ended up coming back and winning grand finals with him. The entire vid itself is the whole stream and hasn't been broken into the VODs just yet but the link should take to straight to the matches. Here they go

Loser's Finals:

Vs. Iori (Mario/Mewtwo/Falcon)

Grand Finals:

Vs. Chamberline (Sheik)

Last edited:

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Sup boys, been a while. Could use some in depth critiques of my set with a local sheik main that gave me some trouble at my last monthly. Really disappointed in my play; any advice with regards to what tools I should be abusing more in neutral and how to handle approaching/defending appropriately vs sheik in general would be appreciated (please ignore game 3)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQvhtlzK28

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Sup boys, been a while. Could use some in depth critiques of my set with a local sheik main that gave me some trouble at my last monthly. Really disappointed in my play; any advice with regards to what tools I should be abusing more in neutral and how to handle approaching/defending appropriately vs sheik in general would be appreciated (please ignore game 3)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQvhtlzK28

It's the simple things that I've noticed that could've turned the fight around in your favor and added to the mindgames to achieve victory.

Remember, A NAir on Shield when behind the opponent leads to jab shield pressure as no character in the game has anything enough in that situation to punish it, so go for it seeing as Ike doesn't have much Neutral outside of NAir.

If a Sheik player ever full jumps for needle mix ups, a Full Jump FAir will punish almost every needle option she has, so don't be afraid to approach with the proper spacing (I think there were two cases where you could've done it.

Also when you have sheik on the outside take FULL advantage of edgeguards, as she doesn't have much to choose from against Ike as he has so many options to cover every option against her.

Other than that when you were on hit you had the right idea as far as getting good damage as Ike should be, but his neutral was stronger which lead to the stocks he received.

Edit, I recently played our States Number 1 Sheik and while it's not a technical his fundamentals are on point. Hopefully it can give you ideas on what to do against Sheik with Ike.

Last edited:

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Winners Semis of a local tourney. I think I played pretty well but still looking for some critique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34vMvctTjI8&feature=youtu.be

feat. commentary by Big D lol
It hurt me to see that comeback from Tink but stuff like that happens. Your combo game and tech skill is solid as hell but the punish game is what seems to needed the work. I counted about 4 possible punishes you could've done that would've ended the game earlier in the first one.

Also your own brain can be your biggest problem. When you were hot you were hot but when you lost your momentum you started going autopilot it looked like (doing things that usually work, not what you needed to do at the time).

Try to read your opponent more and react to their game as opposed to just the fun feeling of moving your hands all fast like, you can get much more damage that way.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
It hurt me to see that comeback from Tink but stuff like that happens. Your combo game and tech skill is solid as hell but the punish game is what seems to needed the work. I counted about 4 possible punishes you could've done that would've ended the game earlier in the first one.

Also your own brain can be your biggest problem. When you were hot you were hot but when you lost your momentum you started going autopilot it looked like (doing things that usually work, not what you needed to do at the time).

Try to read your opponent more and react to their game as opposed to just the fun feeling of moving your hands all fast like, you can get much more damage that way.
Thanks, will keep this in mind for my next tournament.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
TCEG Con finished this weekend in Edmonton, Alberta, feat. myself, M2K, Ally, Odds, NinjaLink and Alphicans. No telling when the videos will be up on youtube. I didn't get the opportunity to play M2K sadly. :(

PM bracket: http://tcegcon2015.challonge.com/PMT32TCEG2015
Stream archive: http://www.twitch.tv/dashype/v/20254748

Timestamps of all my sets: (I went all Ike)
Winner's Quarters vs. Odds (Charizard, Bowser, bo3) : 03:30:15
Winner's Semis vs Ally (Ike, bo5) : 03:40:35

Loser's Quarters vs. BlueZone (Roy, C. Falcon, bo3): 04:30:45 (I get destroyed in the second game of this set at 04:36:00)
Loser's Semis vs. Alphicans (Fox, bo5): 05:05:50
Loser's Finals vs Ally (Ike, bo5): 05:30:20

I had so many input errors and nerves in loser's bracket lol. And vs ally in both sets. Wish I used uthrow more and didn't miss my tech, had a lot of opportunities I bungled. Still had a good time vs ally he's a bro, we both were having a lot of fun.

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Good **** to Sylarius, I'm going to find the time to especially watch the Odds matches fully. I saw some of the Ally vs you already, was good.

Here's some stuff I've done over the weekend. I clutched everything this weekend and pulled out 2nd place against TN. Even my doubles was hype with all the comeback we pulled off.

Singles

Last edited:

Cox Box

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone. I recently, in the past month or so, managed to beat some relatively notable players in my city. Here are some sets at our weekly that I won on stream, but I know I'm doing a bunch of thins wrong.

Vs Mslano:

Https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAmLug-YyfK8EL_eowZkTizCupx0QmteB&v=-7hvYyZbHzw

He's a decent Falco main, but not our best, so I consider my victory over him to be my first step to mastering the Falco matchup. I've also never lost to Peach in tournament, but our resident Peach player bodies me consistently, so I obviously don't really know the matchup.

Vs Tieske:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAmLug-YyfK-x385OEpZFC9CCLOkhCyTC&v=2kq-sBjK_eA

Tieske is the closest thing we have to an MK main, but he's really a melee Marth player. After this set he just goes Sheik against me (and wins), but at least I made him scared of the match up. Can someone tell me why game 2 was so awful? I was obviously doing some things wrong.

Vs KaneStaff:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAmLug-YyfK8EL_eowZkTizCupx0QmteB&v=l-nkYAkznaw

I have no idea how to deal with Sheik. I'm dead every single time I get hit offstage, so I've tried focusing on fighting for stage position in this matchup, but that's only helped a little bit. Any tips would be appreciated.

These videos are pretty recent, so they're fairly representative of my current level of Ike play. All feedback is appreciated.

Wandering_Ico

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. I recently, in the past month or so, managed to beat some relatively notable players in my city. Here are some sets at our weekly that I won on stream, but I know I'm doing a bunch of thins wrong.

Vs Mslano:

Https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAmLug-YyfK8EL_eowZkTizCupx0QmteB&v=-7hvYyZbHzw

He's a decent Falco main, but not our best, so I consider my victory over him to be my first step to mastering the Falco matchup. I've also never lost to Peach in tournament, but our resident Peach player bodies me consistently, so I obviously don't really know the matchup.

Vs Tieske:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAmLug-YyfK-x385OEpZFC9CCLOkhCyTC&v=2kq-sBjK_eA

Tieske is the closest thing we have to an MK main, but he's really a melee Marth player. After this set he just goes Sheik against me (and wins), but at least I made him scared of the match up. Can someone tell me why game 2 was so awful? I was obviously doing some things wrong.

Vs KaneStaff:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAmLug-YyfK8EL_eowZkTizCupx0QmteB&v=l-nkYAkznaw

I have no idea how to deal with Sheik. I'm dead every single time I get hit offstage, so I've tried focusing on fighting for stage position in this matchup, but that's only helped a little bit. Any tips would be appreciated.

These videos are pretty recent, so they're fairly representative of my current level of Ike play. All feedback is appreciated.
Hey there! I'll just split up my comments into the characters you fought.

Falco: Be wary of using that jump when you're recovering back to the stage and the guy is spamming lasers, it's an easy gimp as you saw in the video. I got a bit scared when you tried to edgeguard an illusion with a dair since that never works unless you're above him and you catch him before it starts (I'd say go for fairs offstage when you know you can catch him before the illusion comes out or position yourself to bait the illusion and space it out for a good fsmash read/grab/whatever). Don't use SideB to walljump so much, as he got you with an easy Fsmash as a punish. Fastfall to lower yourself from the top of the ledge to avoid those.

Peach: Same as above on recovering and the opponent is spamming projectiles. This guy really got you from your lack of L-cancels and from your UpB usage offstage. Never recover with your UpB and face away from the stage with that unless you want that spike to gimp them when they're offstage (even then, you're better off using something else to edgeguard). Use different on-ledge recoveries/attacks. Don't rely too much on SideB attacks and try to use some invincible nairs or fairs from ledge. Noticed you like to use jump (delay) and bair. Afterwards, you seem to have a habit of dodging away whenever it whiffs. Though mslano didn't really read that, he still got you from shield grabs or Dsmashes as a punish tool whenever you used them.

Meta Knight: Tieske capitalized quite a bit off those UpBs/Side Bs onstage. Never land on stage with those unless he grabs ledge. Try to incorporate sweetspotting the ledge and don't use walljumps too much. Work on those L-cancels as they help negate his huge amounts of landing lag and don't just stand there when you do get them. An option can be to run away and avoid aggressive players who try to rush you down after aerials to bait out their attacks. Same as with the Peach player, you used a lot of bairs. This time, MK is a small character so it would work only if you delayed them the way you did. However, the problem lies where it takes extremely long to pull out a delayed bair and he just caught you by attacking you before it came out or simply shield grabbing the attack. Whenever you go for aerials try to L-cancel and run behind them to avoid those shield grabs, or go for aerials behind them as well. Otherwise, space your aerials so that the shield grabs can't reach you and follow up with tilts or other options to add to your mixup game. In addition, don't up throw at high percents. Use your back and forward throws to convert them into QD bairs/fairs for a solid kill option. (Side note - jab resets only work if you didn't tech. Practice teching to avoid getting Fsmashed and whatnot from a wake-up jab reset)

Shiek: To avoid the gimp, an option to use could be to fast fall and UpB if you can, or SideB walljump into sweetspot UpB. Don't just jump onstage whenever your opponent is near it, use aerials to make your landing safer. Careful about using attacks close up, as Kane got a lot of shield grabs off of you. Moreover, try to work on that DI to avoid getting in chaingrabs or bad situations.

Overall: Work on your QDs and L-cancels, you don't want to spam too much of the same option and you'll have to be wary of what to use in different situations regarding positioning. As Ike, you want to bait out an attack with WD back and add grabs/tilts/aerials to the mixups. Don't just sit there and charge QD from a whole stage away, use quick "bursts" of QD to avoid getting predictable. You should also look up some match-up videos/tips and see what others do as a means to use them in your own game plan.

Hope that helps!

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Apologies for being gone for forever and a day and not maintaining the OP. Slowly going through the thread and updating, although aside from the tutorials I'll only have videos from 3.6 in the OP.

-edit-

3.5 and 3.6 vids in the OP for now

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Here's my latest recorded set against the wicked Puff.

Btw, in the Peach match-up you need to generally outspeed/outpace them. Play it similar to Marth vs Peach, use your disjoint and movement to avoid everything. If you're not doing that, you'll get hit and lose. I'll watch the set in a bit, that's just some preliminary advice.

Last edited:

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Won a 100 dollar pot bonus tournament with DK, Ike, and Samus. Not my best performance but there's Ike footage so here ya guys go

Loser's Finals

Vs. Arby

Grand Finals

Vs. Chamberlin

Cox Box

Smash Cadet
So I finally improved enough to 2-0 a supposedly better player on stream yesterday.

https://youtu.be/vTE2vpNJMSE?t=3h18m48s

Match starts at 3 hours at 20 minutes if the timestamp doesn't work. The whole tournament was just one VOD, lol. I've been trying to figure out uses for down tilt, which is why I use it so much in this set. Any advice on when to use down tilt and when another move would be better (f-tilt, down angled f-tilt, etc) is appreciated. Also, this is the only footage I have of me styling on someone in tournament, so I'm pretty excited about it.

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I sold my tag to get Raidenant Dawn for $25, anyways;
Here is a video of me vs. Jaime HR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCKLpRs5vU

He downloaded me super quick, by the time I realized what I was doing wrong and made the correct adjustments, he either readjusted or it was too late.

This one is against Dutchman, he is a local Charizard player. I've been beating him forever and this is the first time he beat me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg0HwpPPpqM

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Sorry my most recent recorded Ike match is teams with Ike but it does give an idea of things to do with him. Seeing as these guys are higher performance players I learned some things to do with Ike in teams.

For one you are the Support and Deal the final blow. I use to think it was more about just trying to finish but truthfully Ike is main the set up for his teammate. You commit on almost everything in neutral and once you are punishable your opponent has to choose a safer option due to your weight as your teammate can quickly followup. I started noticing this around half way into game two.

Anyways, here's the vid

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Played my first Diddy and to my luck it would be SS | Luck lmao. I did take one game though but it felt like I could've done better. One thing I know now though, don't try to use Diddy's own banana unless he's in Ike's pressure range, I ate alot of damage from banana stuff. Anyways, here's the vid.

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
Played my first Diddy and to my luck it would be SS | Luck lmao. I did take one game though but it felt like I could've done better. One thing I know now though, don't try to use Diddy's own banana unless he's in Ike's pressure range, I ate alot of damage from banana stuff. Anyways, here's the vid.

You probably want to either put the banana in a situation where it will put Diddy in a bad position, if he goes for it, he will lose stage control, or use it against him so he will trip on it or he goes for it and you punish him. You can also use it to stuff out his approaches.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
More Ike, vs Meta Knight this time, leggo. My opponent was trying to Control The neutral with spacing but truthfully that's what Ike wants lol. Here's the link for that:

Also here's Ike Vs. Luigi which in my opinion is in Ike's favor for the obvious reasons. I still lost the set cause I bustered out with nonsense but it's still alot to learn in it with spacing and other options. Here's the link for that:

S_F3

Smash Rookie
Hello, I got some VODs from the latest French tourney. I'm satisfied with the end result (3rd) but I feel like I could have played better.
I'm open to critique on my play, especially in my matches against Zen and Charby.
(Commentary with bad English and hype overdoses, proceed with caution)

Pools, vs Wooneg (Luigi, Lucas) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJATEN3FE3s
WR2, vs pr0gg (G&W) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCGbufWCiCk
WSF, vs Poilu (Lucario) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWX5EMGHvCc
WF, vs Zen (Charizard) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9aaomgPEXo
LF, vs Charby (Marth) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvTv_SgEG_g

Top Bottom