• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NO KOAST v3 - 3/13-14, Wichita, KS

What should our Side Event be?

• Total voters

Cook

Smash Master
Housing is a pretty big deal, but the tournament is in a hotel so I mean, there are rooms right there. Otherwise, I recommend calling spots at people's houses.
**** hotels, they cost money. MO hereby calls dibs SOMEWHERE in Wichita. Don't neglect us!

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
An OoS Bonus sounds amazing. I should start looking for a teammate now.

Also, I feel somewhat disturbed that Melee is in the list of Side Events to vote on. =(

Dojo

Smash Champion
Let's **** teams. :]

If you and Tim are flying in, we'll get together and start looking to see if we can get in at the same time.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I call dibs on fino housing and airport pickup

i might need a teammate
warning: im a doubles genious

Teh Future

Smash Master
Andrew honestly if a lot of cats are staying in the hotel I think Id much rather stay there.

I think dphats system for payout is good, it always seems like the only person who wns money is the one who places first :/

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hmm I honestly think OOS bonus should apply to top4 (I'm guessing yall are expecting a good turnout).
SO let say only 1 OOSer places in the top4 he would take the entire bonus regardless if he only took 4th, and if 2 OOSers place top 4they would both take 250, and if 3 are in the top4 the one who places best would make 200 and the other 2 would make 150, and etc etc. Or you know just distribute the 500 evenly amongst the top4.
1st) $200 Added
2nd) $100 Added (can be changed to 150)
3rd) $100 Added
4th) $100 Added (can be changed to 50)
Regardless of the the fact that they are OOS or not.
Just throwing out possible number payouts.
I fully agree with this. Including the numbers given, though 200, 150, 100, 50 would make slightly more sense lol. If you have a pot bonus just to first then you convince like 2 extra people to show up. If you have a pot bonus through forth you would convince a lot more people, cause the number of people competing for 4th place is probably more then 5X the number competing for 1st. That is also why I advocate top 5 payout system.

I think dphats system for payout is good, it always seems like the only person who wns money is the one who places first :/
Not in Ohio! And the top 5 payout is spreading! Go Go Go! (Same deal for OoS bonus though top 4 is pretty close to top 5 haha)

Cook

Smash Master
Andrew honestly if a lot of cats are staying in the hotel I think Id much rather stay there.

Well, you are not a 21-year-old cat, so good luck getting a hotel room with out somecat else's help.

Everycat wants to be a cat. Everycaaa--aat! Everycaaa-aat! Everycat wants to be a cat!

Stop saying cat.

fragbait

Smash Master
I fully agree with this. Including the numbers given, though 200, 150, 100, 50 would make slightly more sense lol. If you have a pot bonus just to first then you convince like 2 extra people to show up. If you have a pot bonus through forth you would convince a lot more people, cause the number of people competing for 4th place is probably more then 5X the number competing for 1st. That is also why I advocate top 5 payout system.
I like this.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Man, I'm doing a terrible job at keeping up with this thread.

So to catch up...

- David is a cat.

- I like top 5 payout better than top 3 as well.

- I don't think ledge grab rules are necessary at all and I have no problem with the way that Dphat plays. I've never been a fan of Hobo's overly restrictive rules or anti MK silliness...

- Wieners.

- Poop.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
you should look at your stats after each game at domo's weekly tournies. They aren't as much as you think it is. I honestly think 25-30 is more than enough. although some would argue with me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ok I'm gonna be honest here. You need an edge grab limit for both Doubles and Singles. Whether you make them both the same, or slightly more for Doubles/Singles is your call, but in my honest opinion you need the rule for both events. Do you want a Grand Finals of Dojo + UTD Zac vs Dphat+DMG where the first team to get a 50% lead and plank wins? That would suck.

Even though Dphat and I, along with Zac and Dojo and Lee Martin/Other people who play gay (whether they team or not, just naming people) would benefit the most from there being no planking/edge grab limit whatsoever, I think we all unanimously agree that there NEEDS to be a limit established. Fair numbers to try for are somewhere in the Ballpark of 45-55 for either event.

Also for payout, I think First place deserves at least 50% of the pot. I tend to lean towards 55% because that truly gives him ~50% or so taking into account tournament fees/entrance fees he pays.

You can do 55, 25, 10, 5, 5 for 5 placements if you want. Takes 5% out of first and second place each, seems fair IMO.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I support a ledge grab limit, as long as it's fair/is a number that will do its job. If you make the edge grab limit 20 or something, I'm gonna look at you funny and frown. Same for if you make it some astronomical number like over 100.

fragbait

Smash Master
I support a ledge grab limit, as long as it's fair/is a number that will do its job. If you make the edge grab limit 20 or something, I'm gonna look at you funny and frown. Same for if you make it some astronomical number like over 100.
I'm pretty sure some people could easily do a hundred XD
Joke aside, the number, should there be one, will be well thought on. We're not just gonna throw a number out.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
FOR PRE-REGISTRATION PLEASE GO HERE:

http://www.chroniclesconvention.com/tickets.shtml

This will guarantee you a ticket into the event when you arrive. After January the price of this ticket will increase to 30 dollars, so please register now and save yourself the cash! The more people preregister the more hype, which means more money to the pot because there will be even more interest.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
25-35 is so ridiculously low, thats ridiculously ridiculous

35 in a 8 minute match is like one ledge grab every 14 seconds. What's so bad about that? Especially considering ledge invincibility is like a second or so...

Also, GaW can not plank no where near as bad as MK. Atleast I've never had a problem with it with all the GaWs I've played, though I've yet to play against Zac in 1v1. I actually find that it puts GaW in an easy situation to get gimped.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@all the people confused by what os said earlier bout a projectile rule:

he dislikes anti-planking rules because he thinks that they're arbitrary and don't actually do anything to stop stalling, and are unnecessary because planking hasn't been proven to be a game-breaking tactic yet. if it was, then everybody would be winning tournies with it

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You want a tournament won by planking?

I can guarantee that for Doubles, someone will win it with planking if you let them. Dphat and Lee Martin are a great example of that. Dphat and I look forward to doing so if given the chance.

Singles, I would say I can also guarantee that is won by planking, but there are a lot of factors involved. If M2K goes there, he can probably win without planking others. Unless one of the more dedicated people do it to M2K, he's gonna stop it pretty easy as MK (MK obviously stops planking better than any other character. He's also the best planker. MK is one of the few characters with a decent shot at stopping another MK from planking because it makes it almost into a pure rock paper scissors event instead of MK having a slight or huge edge on the person trying to stop him)

Basically, if M2K comes, unless he himself planks, the tournament won't be won through planking. If he doesn't though, I know Dojo/Zac/Lee Martin/Dphat/I will certainly plank each other in Grand Finals if necessary. Heck, I'll get everyone I know who is good at it to plank in Pools to prove a point before the tournament starts if I have to.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
His planking is OK, it's more annoying than extremely effective though. The shortened "edge lag" he suffers compared to most of the cast also doesn't hurt him either. The biggest problem is that he doesn't have a solid enough "GTFO" move to scare people from approaching him. He can't shark with Uairs/Nairs like G&W/MK, and he isn't entirely safe if you drop down, use an aerial on an opponent near the edge, and they shield it. He's still pretty good at it though all things considered.

Top Bottom