• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Disassemble!: Overswarm's instruction manual for ROB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
No. Not on purpose, anyway. Some people screw it up by doing stupid stuff.

holysnap

Smash Cadet
Great guide on ROB, I feel more confident with ROB after reading this.

Dude I love all the stuff on SoulCrushing, I know all about that ahaha! It is so true too! You should put that stuff in Binary because we only want Robs to be able to read that amazing post!

It's so funny to sandbag on the friendlies before the tournament, fall for things that you won't usaully fall for on purpose to make them think that's an effective tactic against you, just fail but make it close. Than when the tournament begins and the oponnent is thinking "This worked on the friendlies I'll use it again here" Completely destroy him, counter his moves, and another big rule is if you can try not to let him hit. Even if the opponent is good if you can deal 50-60% without letting him hit you, you will usaully be able to 0-death him, and 0-death is a falcon punch to the soul... Nobody can play smash well no matter how great they are after that...

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
huh everyday theres a rob thread i miss >.> .

Its a good guid so far just remember to add the protip thing i was talking about in the other thread .

Protip: Every time you crush someones soul a ROB wins a match.

10knackers

cutter

Smash Champion
Even though I don't main ROB, the Soul Crushing part of your guide was well worth reading. Soul Crushing isn't just for Smash, but it's applicable in pretty much any competitive game.

I definately love ****ing around with my G&W in friendlies to try and have people think I suck. I successfully pulled that off in a decent-sized tourney when I 3-stocked the guy's Pit with my G&W. When it came to the second game, he played like absolute crap and lost even faster. He constantly *****ed about the turtle during game 1 and I abused it to hell and back to easily win the 2nd game.

Knowing when to show emotions and knowing when to be stoic is also critical IMO to successful Soul Crushing.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Stigmata is a bit different, unless it is Hebrew he is speaking.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Even if the opponent is good if you can deal 50-60% without letting him hit you, you will usaully be able to 0-death him, and 0-death is a falcon punch to the soul... Nobody can play smash well no matter how great they are after that...
umm, yes you can... I've done it. two stocked him right after that, and then won.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this? I can see it coming a mile away. I never judge people on one match reguardless if it's friendly or competitive. It just makes sence to me that a friendly round is a friendly round, however they play may be nothing like how they play competitivly...

penguinman

Smash Apprentice
The whole guide is great OS. Very in-depth and the soul crushing thing is great. I just tried it on my brother and it really got to him.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I think there's one really useful thing about dash attacks you forgot, and that's edgeguarding.

Generally, if an opponent is recovering from an area below the ledge, there's three things you can really do, depending on at what point the opponent is in his recovery (considering that his most obvious course of recovery would be to go up to the ledge).

1. You can run to the edge, short-hop, and d-air cancel for the spike. This is very circumstantial, has a high probability of not working, and generally isn't very efficient.
2. You can just run off. From here, depending on where the opponent is placed near you, you can f-air to keep him away, b-air to attempt a stage spike or put him beneath the, n-air, which generally isn't fast enough, or u-air, which can stage spike under weird circumstances.
3. If the opponent is too close but still hasn't grabbed the edge (i.e. he's about 3/4 of R.O.B.'s base's length away from the edge), you can dash attack, This will almost always hit the opponent, and, depending on how they DI, send him upwards, where you can jump up and continue your assault, or send him sideways, which will give you opportunity to run off and pursue.

imo, that's what the dash attack is most useful for, and that's what I generally use it for in any serious match.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Also, one thing to add about the Up+B is that when you're approaching the enemy off-stage with it to edgeguard, getting into a position slightly below the opponent will give them the opportunity to footstool jump off of you, which is a decidedly bad thing since it gives them a free jump when you're trying to gimp them. Fortunately, R.O.B. doesn't go into the tumbling footstool animation, but the opponent gets to get away. Space yourself well, and be aware of falling speeds.

holysnap

Smash Cadet
umm, yes you can... I've done it. two stocked him right after that, and then won.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this? I can see it coming a mile away. I never judge people on one match reguardless if it's friendly or competitive. It just makes sence to me that a friendly round is a friendly round, however they play may be nothing like how they play competitivly...
Obviously the soul crushing technique has no effect on you... Your a ROB, ROB's have no soul.

But if your in a tournament and in the first stock you 0-death them...Than their soul is crushed.

And alot of times people try their hardest in friendlies, if I own some1 5 times in friendlies before the competition, that I usaully am not too scared when I fight him in the first round.

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
Another way to soul crush (this only works if you know you can beat your opponent) is to cream them in friendlies like ten times before the competition and then they will be to afraid to fight.

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
great guide, the stuff on soul crushing is pretty awesome haha

Another way to soul crush (this only works if you know you can beat your opponent) is to cream them in friendlies like ten times before the competition and then they will be to afraid to fight.
that's also a good way for them to learn your playstyle then get an advantage in a match that actually means something (so use that trick with caution)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
^agree with Lexx

Update! Does this mean the next update starts character matchups?!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
No Hanenbow, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, or Pokemon Stadium 2? I know different regions see different stages. In MD/VA we usually don't see Distant Planet, Skyworld, or Green Greens.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hanenbow is banned, Pictochat doesn't have anything special about it, PS2 doesn't have anything special... Pirate ship is bad for ROb. I might have to add that in.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Hanenbow's not banned on the EC. I agree there isn't really anything worth saying about Pictochat, but PS2? You don't change up your strategy any when there's low gravity, moving floors, or ice?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I should probably bump this when I update this.

I'm prolly gonna clean up the Yoshi matchup thing, maybe add some more to it... I want to keep them more simple than anything. We'll see where it goes. Feel free to point me in a direction.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
It would help to add "best counterpick" to the character matchup section for each character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom