• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
It's nice to see that the thread is still alive and kicking, even if it's not as much as some other characer support threads, i still find it pretty incredible considering how niche Ninten is in the grand scheme of things.

jab and tilts
aerials and smash attacks
grab and throws
specials (and a lot of down b ideas)
final smash and stuff
stage,music and spirits
more complete image of the stage
hope all of you like it.

Edit: Twitter moveset
Nicely done ! I really dig your artstyle.

Last edited:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Hello guys! I know this is the ninten thread but we all know porky is also great, he would have some bangers if he was in smash like this one.

It's nice to see that the thread is still alive and kicking, even if it's not as much as some other characer support threads, i still find it pretty incredible considering how niche Ninten is in the grand scheme of things.

Nicely done ! I really dig your artstyle.
Yeah it's great to see this place alive,

Thanks for liking the moveset, I worked really hard on it.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
I think giving ninten his own psi attack is kind of a bad idea, at that point it isn't really ninten, it would be another ness but instead of using a yoyo it's a boomerang.
nah, gonna have to disagree with that.
if its about X not being themselves, what's the point of giving any creative liberties to any Smash character via a spinoff?

sure, Ninten could be the first to not just take the same idea and remix it again, but he's definitely going to get some generic form of PSI to use as an attack. (like how the graphic of Ness' signature PSI in his basic attacks use to be flashes of white, they can actually bring that back again lol)

also, i'm not sure if using a boomerang, like Ness' smash attacks, would result out well, but could work out.

Last edited:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
nah, gonna have to disagree with that.
if its about X not being themselves, what's the point of giving any creative liberties to any Smash character via a spinoff?

sure, Ninten could be the first to not just take the same idea and remix it again, but he's definitely going to get some generic form of PSI to use as an attack.
They can be creative with ninten, mother 1 has a lot of things they can use to make a creative moveset without making up stuff, they aren't in a situation of "oh we don't know what he can do so we can just make stuff up", even characters that take creative liberties have moves from somewhere.

:ultfalcon:moves are based on stuff seen in the f zero comic.

:ultfox:has stuff like lasers similar to his game and is fast and attacks mostly with his legs probably because his design had metal legs.

they don't really need to create a psi ability that doesn't exist to make ninten playable, especially when mother 1 has so many things that 2 and 3 don't have, they will have to make some visuals for things like pk beam tho.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
They can be creative with ninten, mother 1 has a lot of things they can use to make a creative moveset without making up stuff, they aren't in a situation of "oh we don't know what he can do so we can just make stuff up", even characters that take creative liberties have moves from somewhere.

:ultfalcon:moves are based on stuff seen in the f zero comic.

:ultfox:has stuff like lasers similar to his game and is fast and attacks mostly with his legs probably because his design had metal legs.

they don't really need to create a psi ability that doesn't exist to make ninten playable, especially when mother 1 has so many things that 2 and 3 don't have, they will have to make some visuals for things like pk beam tho.
i mean, yeah i agree, there's a lot to material to do here. The usual process on mixing original and Smash material to create a fighter still going to apply to a few needed things, but still there's still ideas to make Ninten more or less of a template.

The thing is that simplying using PSI in the most plain and basic way isn't really made up, if we're not being visually strict here.
as a matter of fact, before 4/Ultimate even made sure the PSI effects in Ness' basic attacks were actual references to his Signature PSI attack, they were just generic flashes of psionic energy applied to his jumps and throws, then his some of his aerials.

and you mentioned Falcon right? they had to give it a bit of "oomph" while taking some notes on his appearance in the comic. (which was just the Falcon Flyer and the two panels where he started to kick some criminal arse, none of that hype he did in the first Smash game.)
without all those flaming Terry Bogard-esque details, which obviously inspired ques from boosting with an F-Zero machine, Falcon would be a pretty basic as hell in Smash.

the main idea we were talking about was giving the looks of Ninten's PSI in his basic attacks a neat reference, regardless the easy way out isn't there (i.e. Signature PSI) this time, or just doing it the very old way back in 64 to Brawl (i.e. applying some generic white flashes).

also PK Beam IS in Smash, but both its γ and Ω variations are just repurposed PK Fire projectiles for the Starman assist trophy, lol.
However the official idea is there, we can hypothesise that PK Beam, as a fighter utility, would be a drastic difference to PK Fire, like how PK Freeze is to PK Flash in Smash.

Last edited:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
i mean, yeah i agree, there's a lot to material to do here. The usual process on mixing original and Smash material to create a fighter still going to apply to a few needed things, but still there's still ideas to make Ninten more or less of a template.

The thing is that simplying using PSI in the most plain and basic way isn't really made up, if we're not being visually strict here.
as a matter of fact, before 4/Ultimate even made sure the PSI effects in Ness' basic attacks were actual references to his Signature PSI attack, they were just generic flashes of psionic energy applied to his jumps and throws, then his some of his aerials.

and you mentioned Falcon right? they had to give it a bit of "oomph" while taking some notes on his appearance in the comic. (which was just the Falcon Flyer and the two panels where he started to kick some criminal arse, none of that hype he did in the first Smash game.)
without all those flaming Terry Bogard-esque details, which obviously inspired ques from boosting with an F-Zero machine, Falcon would be a pretty basic as hell in Smash.

the main idea we were talking about was giving the looks of Ninten's PSI in his basic attacks a neat reference, regardless the easy way out isn't there (i.e. Signature PSI) this time, or just doing it the very old way back in 64 to Brawl (i.e. applying some generic white flashes).

also PK Beam IS in Smash, but both its γ and Ω variations are just repurposed PK Fire projectiles for the Starman assist trophy, lol.
However the official idea is there, we can hypothesise that PK Beam, as a fighter utility, would be a drastic difference to PK Fire, like how PK Freeze is to PK Flash in Smash.
Yup, I understand they could make a simple flash like previous smash games, it just that it might look weird compared to other effects since ultimate has a really specific style compared to the other smash games but they totally can come up with cool looking effects that look mother'ish.

I actually mentioned the stuff from falcon because it's an important part of him to have the fire effects but erased it because I didn't what to make the response to long or sound annoying.

And I also think pk beam might be different from the starman since like you said it's just a reused pk fire effect.

Also if ninten was in smash how do you guys think he could look like and also how would you like him to look like, he has a lot of designs with little differences from each other, they're all pretty cool, I personally would like them to combine some of them an make a "definitive ninten".

I did a tweet with the designs one time just for fun.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Yup, I understand they could make a simple flash like previous smash games, it just that it might look weird compared to other effects since ultimate has a really specific style compared to the other smash games but they totally can come up with cool looking effects that look mother'ish.

I actually mentioned the stuff from falcon because it's an important part of him to have the fire effects but erased it because I didn't what to make the response to long or sound annoying.

And I also think pk beam might be different from the starman since like you said it's just a reused pk fire effect.

Also if ninten was in smash how do you guys think he could look like and also how would you like him to look like, he has a lot of designs with little differences from each other, they're all pretty cool, I personally would like them to combine some of them an make a "definitive ninten".

i theorize Sakurai is going to give him a hybrid Smash redesign
where he still looks like his clay model, but he dons a very "similar" attire based on the popular commercial design.
he might be even a tiny bit taller than the other 2 Mother protagonists

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Heya, just coming to say that I'm still alive for now, for the 0.5 people who care.

I love those drawings! You're really talented and I can see the effort you put into your art. I hope you keep supporting Ninten, since it seems me and other people who were in this thread are kinda doing a terrible job nowadays and are just being silent and waiting for Smash 6.

MOTHER literally wouldn't never existed without Dragon Quest, especially MOTHER 1.
I know, I know. Doesn't mean I have to worship or like the franchise.
Also dude, I posted that last year. If you're coming to this thread then maybe try replying to something more... recent. Unless you got nothing better to do.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I convinced a friend of mine to try Earthbound Zero. He started it today! I'm doing my bit to spread the love for this wonderful game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What would be the forum consensus on Ninten as an echo?

I'm sure it was discussed. I just dont know where anyone stands.

How about costume?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

How about costume?
I don’t think an echo would be very nice; it could technically work if they change a few moves, though, since PK Starstorm, yo-yos, and PK Flash weren’t in the first Mother. I think he has enough to be unique though.

I’d take a costume over nothing tbh.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

How about costume?
I think he could work as a Lucas echo (mostly because Lucas doesn't use yo-yos and Ninten shouldn't either). Obviously I'd prefer unique because I think he has the potential, but I'd take what I can get, and him being a Lucas echo instead of Ness would go a long way towards preemptively shutting down complaints of them being identical.

Alt is a big no-no for me, I just hate alts generally and most of Ness' moveset doesn't make sense for Ninten.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think he could work as a Lucas echo (mostly because Lucas doesn't use yo-yos and Ninten shouldn't either). Obviously I'd prefer unique because I think he has the potential, but I'd take what I can get, and him being a Lucas echo instead of Ness would go a long way towards preemptively shutting down complaints of them being identical.

Alt is a big no-no for me, I just hate alts generally and most of Ness' moveset doesn't make sense for Ninten.
What about a Ninten alt?

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
What about a Ninten alt?
They could do that but it wouldn't feel like ninten, ninten can't use the stuff ness and Lucas have so an alt would be weird.

most people here want a him as a full character, some people would be ok with an echo.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

How about costume?
in terms of consolidation, an echo would be nice.
but we're kinda past that point where we could get anything nice at the last minute, so a full newcomer moveset would do much better.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They could do that but it wouldn't feel like ninten, ninten can't use the stuff ness and Lucas have so an alt would be weird.

most people here want a him as a full character, some people would be ok with an echo.
Pardon... I meant what about an alt for Lucas.

Well... yes... no one ever wants their character as an echo. I guess my question wasnt clear enough.

Is that really that much different than the other echoes?

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Pardon... I meant what about an alt for Lucas.
It wouldn't work that well, Lucas has ok love and rope snake, ninten's doesn't have psi attacks and the closest thing to the snake would be the rope item from mother 1, but Lucas has a taunt where he talks with rope snake and ninten can't just talk with a normal rope.

Well... yes... no one ever wants their character as an echo. I guess my question wasnt clear enough.
Sorry for not understanding the question.

Is that really that much different than the other echoes?
It would, echoes normally have the same abilities the other character has,Marth and Lucina have just a sword, dark pit can use a lot of weapons But he also can use the same ones pit uses so they made him an echo.

if ninten had to be an echo he would have to be a mix between Ness and Lucas but without Lucas's smash attacks because he can't use attack psi, no pk flash, no yoyo so no down smash or up smash (it could be a boomerang but it follows the same path as ness's) , at that point it's better making a new character than having a weird mix of Ness and Lucas.

Chrom has only 1 attack different from Roy, ninten would need more than that so it would be a mess.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ninten absolutely cannot work as an alt. He can work as an echo of Ness, provided every attack not in Mother 1 is replaced with an attack that is in Mother 1.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Chrom has only 1 attack different from Roy, ninten would need more than that so it would be a mess.
I guess what I mean to say is... does he really NEED it? Could reskins work? Is it really different than Samus and Dark Samus?

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
I guess what I mean to say is... does he really NEED it? Could reskins work? Is it really different than Samus and Dark Samus?
I think he needs it, a skin for Lucas doesn't make sense because rope snake and psi attacks same for Ness but also yoyo and pk flash, dark Samus like dark pit could have been different but she can also do stuff Samus does, so they made an echo since it's easier.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
You guys still being here gives me the hope that I kinda lost with time. I am happy that Ninten still gets attention thanks to all of you and I will try to also do what I can to support Ninten.

Even if we don't get him for Smash I am hopeful that he will receive something this year or next year. In any case I hope y'all stay healthy! :ness:

D

Deleted member

I am finally on summer break, and y'all know what that means

I'mma replay all 3 games.

And it's gonna be awesome.

Also I still want Ninten

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Guys look!!!!!
This is so cool!!!!
There was a problem fetching the tweet
a comic, done by a lot of different artist!!(including toby fox)
It isn't an actual comic it has short stories, it's more of an official art book done by fans, but it still is great.
I can't believe this. Seriously, after all these years, to see Earthbound getting this kind of treatment in 2020?

It feels unreal. Even if this probably isn't getting translated or released overseas or anything... It just feels so nice to see this wonderful trilogy treated as something worth a damn.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ah, so like those tribute art books done for other games and stuff. Not an adaptation like I was expecting, but it's good enough.

I am finally on summer break, and y'all know what that means

I'mma replay all 3 games.

And it's gonna be awesome.

Also I still want Ninten
Ay, welcome back, you're just in time for the period before June and the ARMS fighter arrival starts.

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Ah, so like those tribute art books done for other games and stuff. Not an adaptation like I was expecting, but it's good enough.
They said it's an anthology, I guess the adaptation would be the book with all of the games dialogue?? They also said that there will be more announcements.

Last edited:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Hey, source gaming showed the results of the smash poll they did, porky ended in 30th with 176 votes, and ninten is 99th with 34 votes (he tied with other characters ) and the masked man is at 166 with 16 votes (also tied).
Looks like porky is the most wanted out of the 3

•u• that's pretty cool.

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Well folks, its official: Spirits do not dis-confirm!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
I also saw this today!!, I was so distracted by how good it looked that I completely forgot about showing it here, it's so perfect!!!
I wish I could mod my switch only for this but I don't want to delete ness for ninten.

and Nintendo would delete me ._."""

That looks great! It's awesome that someone's taking the time to make a mod, maybe this is the proof of concept we need to show people Ninten's not just alt material.
Yeah!! He deserves better.

Btw hope everyone is doing great!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, I can't wait until the Hobonichi stuff comes out. I've been replaying Mother 1 for the 4th time and as always I love it heh.

Also, just curious, which Mother spirit battle do you guys think was the hardest?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Man, I can't wait until the Hobonichi stuff comes out. I've been replaying Mother 1 for the 4th time and as always I love it heh.

Also, just curious, which Mother spirit battle do you guys think was the hardest?
I think Claus took me some effort, that's the only Mother Spirit Battle I remember being difficult though.

Top Bottom