• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
What's everyone's favorite boss in Mother 3?
I dunno, I guess I'll go with the barrier trio because... just... y'know. Just look at them. They're just so utterly spectacular. I can't explain it but I'm sure you understand.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What's everyone's favorite boss in Mother 3?
I'm not really sure; I'd probably just go with Porky.

Ignoring bosses that are also main characters, probably the N. K. Cyborg or the Cactus Wolf.

The Barrier Trio are also pretty cool, even if I did get annoyed trying to beat them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh yeah I forgot to mention mine.

Hmm....I think Master Eddy is my favorite boss fight.

Now if we're going by hardest boss fight in Mother 3, I think it'd be the first Masked Man fight for me.

What about y'all? What's the hardest Mother 3 boss fight for you?

Zeox

Smash Champion
Psstt... hey... just remember that Mother 1 is still not in the E-shop or the online service.
It would had take them 20 seconds to port it and is one of the top sellers on the E-shop of Wii U.
They could had gone for the lazy route and say "to celebrate Mother 30th anniversary, here's Mother 1, now you can play it whenever you want wherever you want"... but they didn't do it.
And why is that? why Earthbound Beginnings (and Earthbound) are still in any shape or form on the Switch? Why wouldn't they announce ports on the E3, on the 30th anniversary?
Could it be that they have something bigger but they didn't had it ready to show?
Could it be that they wanted to announce the third party characters on bigger events and leave first parties for smaller Nintendo Streams because only actual Nintendo fans would care about them?
Maybe not everything is lost, Ninten, maybe you still have a chance...

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Psstt... hey... just remember that Mother 1 is still not in the E-shop or the online service.
It would had take them 20 seconds to port it and is one of the top sellers on the E-shop of Wii U.
They could had gone for the lazy route and say "to celebrate Mother 30th anniversary, here's Mother 1, now you can play it whenever you want wherever you want"... but they didn't do it.
And why is that? why Earthbound Beginnings (and Earthbound) are still in any shape or form on the Switch? Why wouldn't they announce ports on the E3, on the 30th anniversary?
Could it be that they have something bigger but they didn't had it ready to show?
Could it be that they wanted to announce the third party characters on bigger events and leave first parties for smaller Nintendo Streams because only actual Nintendo fans would care about them?
Maybe not everything is lost, Ninten, maybe you still have a chance...
Totally! This is the logic that I'd like to go by. Maybe there host a surprise direct on the anniversary of either Mother 1 or Earthbound (most likely Earthbound's in August since that gives us a bit longer of a cooldown since we just got two characters at E3) and they announce a Mother trilogy plus Ninten in Smash to promote it. You can call me pollyanna, say I'm crazy as a loon, but... eh actually I don't have a rhyme to follow this up with but you get my point. I'm not losing hope just yet!

D

Deleted member

Holy **** this looks like a really good, awesome, funny as hell hack

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Sorry for the double post but it's been a few days and I gotta be honest...

I think this thread is kinda dying.

Or at least getting much quieter now, all after the DLC announcements.

Kinda sad, specially cuz I remembered we said we would stick around wether Ninten is announced or not or something similar to that, but with Erdrick's confirmation it kinda had a negative impact. I guess you could say that's my valid reason why I personally dislike him, to say the least.

Or who knows! Maybe I'm wrong and this is (hopefully) a temporary thing. I do admit that I haven't been very active either.
Not wanting to force you guys to get in here if ya don't feel like it either. Am just sayin'.

... then again, that's coming from the guy who is on SmashBoards just to comment on this thread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kinda sad, specially cuz I remembered we said we would stick around wether Ninten is announced or not or something similar to that, but with Erdrick's confirmation it kinda had a negative impact. I guess you could say that's my valid reason why I personally dislike him, to say the least.

Or who knows! Maybe I'm wrong and this is (hopefully) a temporary thing. I do admit that I haven't been very active either.
Not wanting to force you guys to get in here if ya don't feel like it either. Am just sayin'.

... then again, that's coming from the guy who is on SmashBoards just to comment on this thread.
Yeah, I've been on Discord a lot more as of late, sorry I haven't been super active here either y'all, but I ain't givin' up on Ninten.

Oh and btw, do y'all know about the Earthbound hack "Hallow's End"?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

All good things must come to an end, I guess.

Personally I kinda stopped posting when all the cursed images started popping up because that stuff makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Ani leaving was also a huge blow, but she had her reasons.

Still, even without hope that Ninten will get in, we should still use this thread to discuss how to grow support, his Smash 6 chances, or just random Mother stuff.
Yeah, I've been on Discord a lot more as of late, sorry I haven't been super active here either y'all, but I ain't givin' up on Ninten.

I did begin playing it, but I recall I didn't get too far.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What's everyone's most hated dungeon/area in Earthbound?
Can't say I really have one. But I recall having a very hard time with Threed due to very bad decision making. (Basically I got a total party kill and no money to heal them)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Fourside mall,the enemies are tough and you only have Ness and Jeff.I don't like the Mole dungeon as well,I find it kind of boring.
Oh boy I love those. I really like the designs for the robots in Fourside and the whole 'I am the third strongest' shtick really stuck with me.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Mt Itoi makes me wanna die. I don’t enjoy grinding nearly impossible encounters for hours, so I usually just 4thD slip my way to Giegue.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
What's everyone's most hated dungeon/area in Earthbound?
For me, it's the area between Saturn Valley and the Milky Well, mainly because of the Struttin' Evil Mushrooms that force you to backtrack to Mr. Saturn's spring if they scatter their spores to make your party members "feel strange".

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Mt Itoi makes me wanna die. I don’t enjoy grinding nearly impossible encounters for hours, so I usually just 4thD slip my way to Giegue.
Mt Itoi is so ridiculously hard (IIRC it wasn't tested) without Teddy or EVE that battling is not even worth it, Giegue is not hard so you don't need to grind at that point in the game anyway, I always 4thD spam at Mt Itoi.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It tells you how imbalanced the place is when its namesake Itoi got exhausted by the dev cycle and wanted it over with at that point.

That's the way. Even if Ninten doesn't get in here, you musn't let support die when just about every other Mother character save Porky has been given up on.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Mt Itoi is so ridiculously hard (IIRC it wasn't tested) without Teddy or EVE that battling is not even worth it, Giegue is not hard so you don't need to grind at that point in the game anyway, I always 4thD spam at Mt Itoi.
Wait, really? If that's the case then that's really interesting.

I guess even the developers had faith that Ninten and his friends would make it up the mountain. :4pacman:

Also, I am not depressed anymore. And I forgot to share this stage with you guys, it's another version of Mt. Itoi with a more casual structure, still mainly visual but hey, at least EVE is in it walking around.
Mt. Itoi Stage V.2 by Dib.png

Been a while since I made a stage, given the tools avaiable what would be another good Mother stage to make?

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
By the way, I did not know that there was a Mother Encyclopedia that had pictures of areas of the game.
If they were to make a remake, they could combine aspects for those pictures with how the game looks to make each area more unique and cool looking. Here's an example, I personally think aspects from this pic of the Magicant Underground would make the in-game Magicant Underground much cooler.

Magicant Underground.png

Imagine if it looked like that but with how it also looks in the game, kinda gives a maze-like vibe. Actually, they could make the beginning of the underground a small maze where you have to navigate your way through these almost pillar-like rocks that form the maze, instead of "choose left or right till you get the right way".

It could be either one simple maze you have to go through everytime or a harder maze but you only need to do it once and then the rocks dissapear. They could even do the same for the Dragon, making a different maze that's harder but also dissapears, except Ninten gets lost in the maze and can't do it until he's strong enough. Pretty much a magic maze that won't let Ninten meet the Dragon until he's ready to face him and will just boot him out.
As a small detail, maybe while you're near that maze and while doing it you can hear the Dragon sleeping, and once you're the right level to complete it you can hear that Dragon's noises getting stronger, maybe even to aid you as to indicate which path you gotta take that leads to the dragon.
Heck, maybe you need a specific ammount of melodies that Ninten has to play to eliminate whatever magic the maze guarding the Dragon has.

Just an idea, as I once mentioned how I would personally redesign Magicant. Now with this picture alone I was inspired the give the Magicant Underground a cool setting since we all know the black floor and crystal blocks with water outside is not that cool. But if it was more like these stones (except made of crystal like in the game) with some mazes and some water here and there then it could look like a really cool location.

Speaking of water, maybe instead of being a ladder in which you go down to face the Fish that guards the room to the Onyx Hook, it's a big lake with a REALLY old warning. Maybe they could redesign the fish into an Angler Fish (you know, those fishes with a light on the forehead) except the antenna thing that has the light also has the Onyx Hook hanging from it too. And the antenna is the only thing that's not inside the water.
That way you know for sure that this is a boss and that you gotta be ready, it also makes more sense and adds more theme to the underground by using the elements that were already in the original game, except this time they're used to add more theme instead of just tell you where you can and can't go.

But this is just an idea. From all the pictures from Encyclopedia Mother that I saw, this one of the underground looked like the coolest with how it looked like a labyrinth themed cave. I think that it would look cool if there were stones and crystals shaped in the same way as they are shaped in this picture.
Of course, my idea is not that the entire thing is a maze, just the beginning and the Dragon. Everything else would be an open area that would be decorated by some stones, crystals and water puddles here and there, maybe some plants and/or rivers that have bridges, too.
What do you guys think? I really wanted to share this idea with ya'll. (And sorry for any bad grammar or weird word choices)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

By the way, I did not know that there was a Mother Encyclopedia that had pictures of areas of the game.
If they were to make a remake, they could combine aspects for those pictures with how the game looks to make each area more unique and cool looking. Here's an example, I personally think aspects from this pic of the Magicant Underground would make the in-game Magicant Underground much cooler.

View attachment 229556

Imagine if it looked like that but with how it also looks in the game, kinda gives a maze-like vibe. Actually, they could make the beginning of the underground a small maze where you have to navigate your way through these almost pillar-like rocks that form the maze, instead of "choose left or right till you get the right way".

It could be either one simple maze you have to go through everytime or a harder maze but you only need to do it once and then the rocks dissapear. They could even do the same for the Dragon, making a different maze that's harder but also dissapears, except Ninten gets lost in the maze and can't do it until he's strong enough. Pretty much a magic maze that won't let Ninten meet the Dragon until he's ready to face him and will just boot him out.
As a small detail, maybe while you're near that maze and while doing it you can hear the Dragon sleeping, and once you're the right level to complete it you can hear that Dragon's noises getting stronger, maybe even to aid you as to indicate which path you gotta take that leads to the dragon.
Heck, maybe you need a specific ammount of melodies that Ninten has to play to eliminate whatever magic the maze guardian the Dragon has.

Just an idea, I once mentioned how I would personally redesign Magicant. Now with this picture alone I was inspired the give the Magicant Underground a cool setting since we all know the black floor and crystal blocks with water outside is not that cool. But if it was more like these stones (except made of crystal) with some mazes and some water here and there then it could look like a really cool location.

Speaking of water, maybe instead of being a ladder in which you go down to face the Fish that guards the room to the Onyx Hook, it's a big lake with a REALLY old warning. Maybe they could redesign the fish into an Angler Fish (you know, those fishes with a light on the forehead) except the antenna (?) that holds the light also has the Onyx Hook hanging from it too. And the antenna is the only thing that's not inside the water.
That way you know for sure that this is a boss and that you gotta be ready, it also makes more sense and adds more theme to the underground by using the elements that were already in the original game, except this time they're used to add more theme instead of just tell you where you can and can't go.

But this is just an idea. From all the pictures from Encyclopedia Mother that I saw, this one of the underground looked like the coolest with how it looked like a labyrinth themed cave. I think that it would look cool if there were stones and crystal shaped in the same way as they are shaped in the picture.
Of course, my idea is not that the entire thing is a maze, just the beginning and the dragon. Everything else would be an open area that would be decorated by more stones, crystals and water puddles here and there, maybe some plants, too.
What do you guys think? I really wanted to share this idea with ya'll. (And sorry for any bad grammar or weird word choices)
I really like these ideas lol. And I didn't know there was a Mother encyclopedia either. Gotta check that out.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I just saw this from Ridley Revolution on twitter.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
If I'm being realistic, we probably won't be seeing Ninten anymore until 1 or 2 years later at least where they may or may not do a second DLC wave with echo fighters.
Or who knows! Maybe they will do unique fighters too!

But until then, the best we could get would be a MOTHER / EarthBound Beginnings Remake.

And even then, EarthBound Beginnings for the NES online service sounds more likely to happen. And while cool it would still be dissapointing to me, specially considering the fact that what I'm saying is all speculation. For all we know, there's a possibility that Nintendo won't even do anything for this almost 30 year old series...

... just thought I would share my opinion, specially with how abandoned this thread is looking.

D

Deleted member

Been off for a week visiting relatives, sorry if I wasn't here all that much (but yeah, ain't givin' up on Ninten).

So btw

what did y'all think

when you first came across

the ramblin evil mush

in earthbound

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Been off for a week visiting relatives, sorry if I wasn't here all that much (but yeah, ain't givin' up on Ninten).

So btw

what did y'all think

when you first came across

the ramblin evil mush

in earthbound
I was very confused, I thought they were scenery and they suddenly started moving.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
An interesting tidbit Ive found recently,

There was a supposed remake of Mother 1/EarthBound into the Gamecube made by both Itoi and Bandai Namco back in 2003.

It was intended but it never came..

Regardless the Mother 1/Earthbound Remake was suppose to had a clay like style and 3d environment. Here are some pictures of concept art for Mother 1 remake!
Screenshot_20190710-233037_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190710-233101_YouTube.jpg

Source is from gamexplain!
Link:

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

There was a supposed remake of Mother 1/EarthBound into the Gamecube made by both Itoi and Bandai Namco back in 2003.

Regardless the Mother 1/Earthbound Remake was suppose to had a clay like style and 3d environment. Here are some pictures of concept art for Mother 1 remake!
View attachment 230783View attachment 230784
Link:
Yeah, read that today as well.

To be honest, the art-style isn't very compelling to me, so while I get it was a mere proof of concept, I'm honestly not disappointed it didn't get made.

D

Deleted member

Link:
I'd so get something like this lol.

I think something like the art style for the LoZ LA remake would work best for a Mother trilogy remake, but I'd still love something like this regardless.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408

Link:
This is awesome!
You know, my faith was starting to decay, but knowing about this gave me dat hope back!

Since it's a remake then I wonder why they made the protagonist look like Ness, probably a placeholder. Still, now I could see a Ninten redesign having a shirt with two stripes and the hat facing diagonally instead of completely to the side.

WOAH! BATEN KAITOS!! I was not expecting that hidden gem to be mentioned. I think the way it looks would have looked nice with some polish, after all those pictures are supposed to give the general idea before the true polish begins. It would have honestly still looked like Zelda LA while still being slightly different by having proportions and artstyle a bit more connected to that of the characters of MOTHER / EarthBound.

Oh, and please, if you're looking for good GameCube games and your computer can emulate those games, please play Baten Kaitos Origins. Good story, fun gameplay, masterpiece level of soundtrack and interesting characters!
But then again, I would not be surprised if some of you already knew about it.

Anyways, as I said before, this does give me hope that they could potentially remake MOTHER! If it happens I'm sure a lot of people would buy it out of curiosity for the franchise. Not many people feel comfortable enough to play a NES, SNES or even a GBA but those people would actually try to avoid playing those old games to play the remakes blind. You know, the whole getting new series idea.
It worked well for Kid Icarus so it's clear that when it comes to series that are upgraded from their outdated status, they can shine and bring something unique that fans love.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Link:

Ooh, that would have been neat.

Still, gotta keep in mind that Itoi had to have been working on Mother 3 at the time, so he probably wouldn't have wanted this to overshadow that game...

Man, who knew that an essayist could have so much power over a video game IP's fate? Shame that he hasn't been interested about doing anything for the IP again. Nintendo certainly wouldn't do anything without him having say on things. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Ooh, that would have been neat.

Still, gotta keep in mind that Itoi had to have been working on Mother 3 at the time, so he probably wouldn't have wanted this to overshadow that game...

Man, who knew that an essayist could have so much power over a video game IP's fate? Shame that he hasn't been interested about doing anything for the IP again. Nintendo certainly wouldn't do anything without him having say on things. :ohwell:
You're right. Maybe he actually wanted to take the offer if it wasn't for MOTHER 3 in development. (No hate on the game, just saying that it probably was bad timing)

Well, if it happened once then that means it can happen again, maybe this time Itoi would be happy to work as the director of the remakes.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

Have you guys seen this? It's a scene from a new Disney Channel show called Amphibia. Pretty cool that even Disney aknowledges Earthbound.

Kind of cute how small Ness is when compared to Paula and Jeff :grin:

Also, are you guys really going to give up? :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom