• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I don't remember if we ever talked about this, but if a MOTHER remake was made, would you guys like Ninten to have the silent protagonist treatment or actually say stuff?
And outside from those two, would you guys like him not having much expressiveness or would you guys like him having a lot of expressive movement?

I would not mind if they gave him personality, but Ninten is the one that feels the most "You're the protagonist" in the series (at least for me). So I would like him staying silent at least.

In fact, it would actualy be cool if they gave options so that you can choose how Ninten responds to interactions, specially to that of his partners and other characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't remember if we ever talked about this, but if a MOTHER remake was made, would you guys like Ninten to have the silent protagonist treatment or actually say stuff?
And outside from those two, would you guys like him not having much expressiveness or would you guys like him having a lot of expressive movement?

I would not mind if they gave him personality, but Ninten is the one that feels the most "You're the protagonist" in the series (at least for me). So I would like him staying silent at least.

In fact, it would actualy be cool if they gave options so that you can choose how Ninten responds to interactions, specially to that of his partners and other characters.
It's hard for me to choose lol. I like the idea of him having dialogue, but at the same time, I like the idea of him staying silent.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

I’d personally prefer him to talk a bit. Though he did actually have dialogue at the end if I remember correctly.

To me Ness felt the most “you’re the Protagonist” due to all the chosen one shenanigans but that’s just my take.

D

Deleted member

Ninten: "Don't you dare threaten my friends and family!"
Ness: "I'm the chosen one. I'm able to absorb the power."
Lucas: "Why? Why!? WHY!!!?"

Each Mother protagonist in their own game.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Whats kinda funny is that even though Lucas has the most dialogue of any Mother protagonist, I always imagined him as the one who talks the least. Even in his yes/no responses I imagine him either nodding or shaking his head.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Whats kinda funny is that even though Lucas has the most dialogue of any Mother protagonist, I always imagined him as the one who talks the least. Even in his yes/no responses I imagine him either nodding or shaking his head.
That makes sense, he is a shy kid. The only reason he talks the most out of the protagonists is because of the chapters in which he's an NPC.

D

Deleted member

I kinda feel like the way Lucas was during his reveal trailer should be like how Ninten is revealed (if he is in). Determined and ready to kick ***.

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
I would not mind if they gave him personality, but Ninten is the one that feels the most "You're the protagonist" in the series (at least for me).
Have to disagree because Ness exists. Ness has no connection to Giygas, he just has to defeat him because he's supposed to. Ness' party members aren't his friends because he actually interacts with them beforehand, they're his friends because they're supposed to be. Ninten's party members actually volunteer to join him, because he interacts with them. This combined with the info given by the MOTHER Encyclopedia honestly makes Ninten the most fleshed out MOTHER protagonist. Ness is the most boring one.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I kinda feel like the way Lucas was during his reveal trailer should be like how Ninten is revealed (if he is in). Determined and ready to kick ***.
I think he should get ambushed to mirror the intro to Mother.
Have to disagree because Ness exists. Ness has no connection to Giygas, he just has to defeat him because he's supposed to. Ness' party members aren't his friends because he actually interacts with them beforehand, they're his friends because they're supposed to be. Ninten's party members actually volunteer to join him, because he interacts with them. This combined with the info given by the MOTHER Encyclopedia honestly makes Ninten the most fleshed out MOTHER protagonist. Ness is the most boring one.
Ness's character is more subtle, but it's still there. For example, if you are struggling in magicant and flying men keep dying, their dialogue and graves become increasingly bleak as Ness's desperation mounts. His thoughts in Lumine Hall are particularly interesting. Considering you've (presumably) just reached the 7th sanctuary after beating the boss, you'd expect Ness to be feeling pretty good about his progress so far, but all that's on his mind is how long a journey it's been and his doubts about the future.
While he lacks a connection to Giygas outside of the prophecy, his connection to Porky is more substantial than Ninten's connection to Giegue, imo, and is also more interesting. EarthBound's more fleshed out world in general allows us to glean Ness's personality from the dialogue of the NPCs he interacts with.
Ness's homesickness is also the single most endearing mechanic ever implemented into a video game.

Of course, you're free to disagree and prefer Ninten, but I personally think Ness is perhaps the most interesting protagonists in the series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree, but I think this is what Dib Dib was saying too lol.

I think he should get ambushed to mirror the intro to Mother.
This would be hilarious. They could have Kirby transform into a lamp with his down b, seemingly showing that it's an inanimate object, and then -

7192d15dc7df48db50664f7050084be2.jpg

SmashHype64

Smash Rookie
Uh, hi again. I just wanted to share this concept I made for Ninten as an Echo Fighter. I've discussed some of these before, but I thought it would be better to properly visualize it. Hope y'all enjoy.

(Hopefully, these images don't break...)

By the way, I'm looking forward to that PowerPoint, Anigriffin.
Technicaly, :ultken: would still had the most unique FS

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, what does everyone think the funniest moment is in the Mother series?

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I found Lloid's befriending cutscene where he plays with fire rockets and destroys a room charming. Also the fact that the whole thing can be simplified to "i got no friend" "i'll be ur friend" "bottle rocket, then we talk". xD

Also teddy asking why Ninten and Ana are blushing after they spend the time they got alone dancing.

Then I pretty much laughed at any funny moment in MOTHER 3 with how stupid some things are like the Osohe dance, Kumatora when she gets made and basically when she does any kind of funny shenanigan and Duster abuse from his dad in the chapter where you play as him.
Oh yeah, also Lucas having his pants pulled down by Boney. xD

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So I got an update from the awesome foam helmet maker I commissioned to make Claus’s helmet.

Anyone wanna see pics?

D

Deleted member

I found Lloid's befriending cutscene where he plays with fire rockets and destroys a room charming. Also the fact that the whole thing can be simplified to "i got no friend" "i'll be ur friend" "bottle rocket, then we talk". xD

Also teddy asking why Ninten and Ana are blushing after they spend the time they got alone dancing.

Then I pretty much laughed at any funny moment in MOTHER 3 with how stupid some things are like the Osohe dance, Kumatora when she gets made and basically when she does any kind of funny shenanigan and Duster abuse from his dad in the chapter where you play as him.
Oh yeah, also Lucas having his pants pulled down by Boney. xD
I agree lol. I think each of the games have lots of funny moments, like pretty much the Crow stealing items from Mother 1, Happy Happy village from Earthbound, and, while very sad, Mother 3 also has funny moments like the Rope Snake's depression.

So I got an update from the awesome foam helmet maker I commissioned to make Claus’s helmet.

Anyone wanna see pics?
I do :grin:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Man, we forgot to say it, but we're at 80 pages!!! Just 20 more 'till we reach a pretty big milestone.

I want to put this on my head.
Oh man. I don't even pay much attention to page numbers lulz. I just post stuff heh.

RIGHT?? Soon I'll be able to!!

Hmm. Maybe if I could figure out how to make a sword with a sound chip that plays PK Thunder sound effects... That'd be dope as hell.

Tyl0r

Smash Cadet
I love the scene where 2 pigmasks are fighting in front of osohe castle about how which should go first cause i see that all the time where i live.
Also love duster getting called a moron, hes my fav character next to porky and lucas.

Also that helmet looks really cool! I cant help but look at it and feel a little sad tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh man. I don't even pay much attention to page numbers lulz. I just post stuff heh.

RIGHT?? Soon I'll be able to!!

Hmm. Maybe if I could figure out how to make a sword with a sound chip that plays PK Thunder sound effects... That'd be dope as hell.
That would be pretty kick***.

I love the scene where 2 pigmasks are fighting in front of osohe castle about how which should go first cause i see that all the time where i live.
Also love duster getting called a moron, hes my fav character next to porky and lucas.
Lmao how could I forget the Pigmasks fighting. But yeah, throughout all of Mother 3 pretty much the pigmasks are really funny, especially when they're about to be beat up by the drago at the end of chapter 3, when they constantly look around until they see the drago behind them.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Since we're bringing funny moments, I found this somewhere and thought it was REALLY funny, so here it is.

a universe where Claus stays with Lucas be like

Oh ThE EgG.jpg

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
This is off-topic but...Guys, I just got back from seeing Endgame. And I’m not gonna spoil it, but...holy crap.

D

Deleted member

This is off-topic but...Guys, I just got back from seeing Endgame. And I’m not gonna spoil it, but...holy crap.
With everyone saying how much they loved it after seeing it, it really makes me more excited for it lol. Just a day and a half, a day and a half....

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With everyone saying how much they loved it after seeing it, it really makes me more excited for it lol. Just a day and a half, a day and a half....
So many chances for spoilers... One could be hiding behind any corner, any click...

D

Deleted member

So many chances for spoilers... One could be hiding behind any corner, any click...
Exactly lmao. That's why I'm only staying on this site, and, even when I watch YouTube vids, I don't watch too much on the topic of the MCU (so they don't recommend any videos that are spoilers), and I don't check the comment section of anything.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Exactly lmao. That's why I'm only staying on this site, and, even when I watch YouTube vids, I don't watch too much on the topic of the MCU (so they don't recommend any videos that are spoilers), and I don't check the comment section of anything.
Smart man.

D

Deleted member

Smart man.
Why thank you :D

But yeah, now, it just 24 hours or less. And I'm going to eat and drink a lot of snacks. And, if I need to use the bathroom, I'll either hold it or just pee myself.

Ok, nevermind, maybe not that last part, but you know what I mean :p

pkivaness

Smash Rookie

Image taken from my deviantART page: AdmiralN30

Ninten is the main character of the very first Mother game titled: EarthBound Beginnings. In this game, he is joined by Ana, Lloyd, and Teddy as they fight off an invading army led by Giegue (Giygas). As their journey progresses, Ninten discovers their connection to his great grandparents.

Why should he join the roster?

If Ninten was added in Smash Bros, then all the primary protagonists of all three games can be represented. So far, all that Smash Bros had to represent the first Mother game was one stage and several songs. Ninten so far had only a couple of cameos on the Magicant stage on the 3DS and a sticker in Brawl. Admittedly, at the time of Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and Wii U, his chances seemed kind of slim. Since then however, Nintendo officially released the English translation of the first Mother game and re-titled it to EarthBound Beginnings. If Ninten was included, it could spread awareness of the character and his game to a wider audience, like what the Fire Emblem characters did in Melee or even what Ness and Lucas did when they were brought to the roster. In fact, one could argue that Super Smash Bros is partly responsible for helping to spread the popularity of these franchises.

B: PK Beam:

Ninten fires a chargeable beam of energy which inflicts combo damage to opponents. The longer B is held down, the longer the beam will be.

B →: 4-D Slip:

A circle of light forms in front of Ninten as the player controls a second one with the analog stick. When B is released, he jumps into a portal in front of him and emerges from another at the spot the spot the circle was when B was released. Any opponent caught at the two spots where the portals form will receive electrical combo damage. To an extent, the move is kind of like Greninja’s Shadow Sneak, except it doesn’t happen in a flash.

B ↑: PK Teleport:

Ninten rapidly spins on the ground or in midair and teleports into the direction in which the analog stick is held. Any opponent caught within range of his teleportation will receive a burning damage effect.

B ↓: PK Hypnosis:

Ninten releases rings of light from his eyes which lulls an opponent in front of him to sleep briefly. It’s kind of similar to Mewtwo’s disable as it works when the opponent is facing him, except it’s slightly slower to activate and covers a wider range.

Final Smash: Brain Cyclone:

Ninten creates an aura around himself which telekinetically lifts any surrounding characters and rapidly spins them around him in a spiral. This has enough power throw the opponents off screen. Whoever isn’t KO’d will have their controls jinxed briefly as if they are confused or “feel strange”.

Objections:

Argument #1: He looks the same as Ness.

This is easy to fix. Redesigns are not uncommon in media, let alone in video games. A lot of fan art seems to base the way they show Ninten off of the original commercial for Mother on the Famicom in which he wore a red bandana and a shirt with different colored stripes.

Even I designed the image provided at the very top of is thread. Of course, I don’t expect him to look exactly like that, but it is just an example. If Ninten does make it into Smash for the Switch they may very well could redesign him.

Argument #2: He will just be another Ness clone.

It is assumed that his moveset would just be a copy of Ness and Lucas, which is not necessarily true. Just because Ninten is a PSI user, that doesn’t mean he is guaranteed to be a clone of the other two characters. There were several moves from EarthBound Beginnings that weren’t used by characters in the later games like PK Beam and the 4th Dimensional Slip. Plus, there were moves in the other two Mother games that weren’t in the first like PK Flash and PK Starstorm.

However, I understand that some wouldn't mind having him as a clone. As a personal preference, I would prefer for him to have a unique moseset.

Argument #3: Ness IS Ninten.

This is a blanket statement. Just because they looked similar doesn’t mean they are the same exact character. They both have different settings, different friends and family, different weaknesses, as well as different stories. With the different plot points and character traits, the differences outweigh the similarities.

Argument #4: Adding another Mother character is over-representation.

There were only two playable Mother characters in Super Smash Bros so far. I don’t see how adding one more would be over-representation. The roster can still be diverse if one more Mother character was added.

Don’t forget, the previous Smash game had three Kid Icarus characters and six Fire Emblem characters (which includes DLC), while The Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong Country had only the veterans and zero newcomers. This gives me the impression that there is no set-in-stone rule that states “this series deserves x amount of characters”. So, I think it’s a fair compromise to have at least a maximum of three characters to represent the Mother series.

Argument #5: Neither Ninten nor EarthBound Beginnings are popular enough.

Popularity doesn’t always guarantee a character’s inclusion. Again, most people were expecting new characters to represent the Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong Country for Smash 4 but didn’t get any. While popularity is important, it's not the final deciding factor.

Besides, you want to talk about popularity? For over two decades fans have been demanding the release of the first Mother game to the west, thanks in part to Starmen.net. They eventually got their wish in 2015 when Nintendo released it to the Wii U’s virtual console. That might not have happened if it wasn’t for so many people demanding the game (we are still demanding Mother 3, but I digress).

Argument #6: The first Mother game isn’t relevant.

You know, the Virtual Console publication in 2015 technically marks the first time that the game was officially released worldwide. Are you just going to pretend that it didn’t happen?

Argument #7: Ninten should just be an alternate skin for Ness.

In my opinion, making him an alternate skin for Ness would be like if they decided to make Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X an alternate skin for Shulk. Just because they can, doesn’t mean they should. I mean, Alph being an alternate skin for Olimar made sense because he didn't have much to work off of from Pikmin 3 (aside from maybe Rock Pikmin like they originally planned). As for the seven Koopalings, they were made into skins for Bowser Jr. as a minor bonus as he was a last-minute addition anyways. That and most of Bowser Jr.’s moves were either not specific to one Koopaling or just made up altogether (except for the Shadow Mario Final Smash, but that's just one move). Ninten deserves better than that, especially when he has plenty of distinct moves and abilities to exercise.

Argument #8: Is he plausible?

Technically yes. Ninten is a Nintendo character (if his name didn’t make it obvious enough) who does fit the guidelines of Super Smash Bros. At the time of Smash 4, it seemed that his chances were low. But with EarthBound Beginnings finally out on the Wii U Virtual Console that anyone with said system can access, I think his chances are better than before. Maybe not to the extreme, but still sufficiently to say he has a fair shot. As the first hero of the Mother series, I think he deserves the spot well enough after all of this time.

If you want Ninten in the next Smash game, feel free to show your support. And don’t forget to spread the word!
Honestly, I strongly agree, Ninten should be in smash to represent MOTHER/ EarthBound Beginnings. I actually voted for him in the SSB4 fighter ballot. I feel like another character who can also represent other parts of the EarthBound series like porky from EarthBound, or what I think is the more definitive version of Porky, the one in MOTHER 3. But personally I think the one in EarthBound has more potential because Porky's Absolutely Safe Capsule appears in World of Light as a spirit, So Porky might have a move set more kiddy like how Villager is. Almost like the concept

D

Deleted member

Yeah, another thing awesome about Ninten is that he'd literally represent Nintendo's beginning of their take on RPGs, since Mother 1 was Nintendo's first RPG.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah, another thing awesome about Ninten is that he'd literally represent Nintendo's beginning of their take on RPGs, since Mother 1 was Nintendo's first RPG.
Well, first turn based since Zelda existed, but without it, the Pokemon that we know today wouldn't exist.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Yes, other than that Ninten is actually the first RPG character from Nintendo.

So not only is he the first protagonist of the MOTHER series and the first creation of Shigesato Itoi, but he's also representant of the first RPG that was made for Nintendo, that actually just makes me want him more, as that kinda gives him more importance as a character of Nintendo's past.

D

Deleted member

Yes, other than that Ninten is actually the first RPG character from Nintendo.

So not only is he the first protagonist of the MOTHER series and the first creation of Shigesato Itoi, but he's also representant of the first RPG that was made for Nintendo, that actually just makes me want him more, as that kinda gives him more importance as a character of Nintendo's past.
Exactly my thoughts.

Actually, wait, I just thought of something....

you guys know how Link in the LoZ:LA remake looks like a Mother character?

So, Ninten will be revealed for DLC....with LoZ:LA Link as his echo fighter!

pkivaness

Smash Rookie
Exactly my thoughts.

Actually, wait, I just thought of something....

you guys know how Link in the LoZ:LA remake looks like a Mother character?

So, Ninten will be revealed for DLC....with LoZ:LA Link as his echo fighter!
Hmm Probably not
I feel like Ninten would be revealed and then some other content.

Top Bottom