• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Pretty solid first real impression now that I've started it. I don't want to clutter up this board with the tales of my playthrough, but I'm glad to finally be playing this gem. I've also heard its on the shorter side for RPGs, so if that's true, I'll also really appreciate it. RPGs tend to overstay their welcome for me, but part of that seems inherent in random encounter design...
I heard the game is somewhere around 30 hours to beat, if you consider that short...

Also, wanted to ask, should I be using a guide for this game? Nothing too far has seemed to difficult to figure out and I've been trying to see a lot of different stuff, but seeing as the game is still a 90s RPG, I feel like there are a bunch of stuff that you can miss on playthroughs and never get in you miss them the first go around.
If you want to use a guide, Nintendo has one on their website for the full game. I don't really think you'll need a guide because if you got through Onett, you have the skills to figure out what to do. It doesn't get too complex to figure out. You might want to make sure you explore every bit of each area because you'll never know where a Your Sanctuary location might be...

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
My one-word analysis on the endings of the Mother/EarthBound trilogy:
Mother/EarthBound Beginnings: Bittersweet?
Mother 2/EarthBound: Heartwarming
Mother 3: Depressing

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
My one-word analysis on the endings of the Mother/EarthBound trilogy:
Mother/EarthBound Beginnings: Bittersweet?
Mother 2/EarthBound: Heartwarming
Mother 3: Depressing
Still, let's not talk any more about it since there's someone here who hasn't played Mother 3 or Mother 1. They're just starting Mother 2 as well.

I know we already put a lot of Mother spoilers before, but I'm just saying we should stop if there's currently someone here posting they're playing the games.

Then again, we can still use the spoiler thing to talk about spoilers without having the new guy looking at them whenever they enter this thread. I just don't wanna ruin the new person's experience with Earthboung / Mother.
And what I mean about the "spoiler thing" are these. v v v
Ness has psychic powers! :o

In case someone here doesn't know how to put them (which I doubt but just in case), they're in the Insert icon when you write a comment, right next to the Smilies.

Am just saying cuz for the longest time I personally didn't know, so I would just choose to reply to someone else's comment and copy paste the Spoiler's "code" thing. xD

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Eh, I mean, Mother 3's ending is up to interpretation. Still, let's not talk any more about it since there's someone here who hasn't played Mother 3 or Mother 1. They're just starting Mother 2 as well.

I know we already put a lot of Mother spoilers before, but I'm just saying we should stop if there's currently someone here posting they're playing the games.
We can always use spoiler tags if we have to.

Like so.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
We can always use spoiler tags if we have to.

Like so.
Lol, I was editing my comment to add that just when you said that. XD
But yeh, let's do that, if it's not much to ask.

BY DA WAY

I made this Ninten animated thingie. I liked the idea of the Ninten echo fighter design that was previously posted here with the long scarf. So I took that idea and applied it to Ninten's handkerchief, the idea being that he has a huge handkerchief with the two ends on the back sticking out but having wind physics.
(I hope I don't get called a thief for "stealing" an idea like that, I just liked the idea so much I thought I would apply it, since it's a really cool design choice)

Ninten handkerchief wind big.gif
<-Woah! Look at that wind!

Also remember that I'm not the best at animating or making pixel art. In fact, am still having a hard time animating but I give it my all, so I'm sorry if there's a frame that actually looks wrong or something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lol, I was editing my comment to add that just when you said that. XD
But yeh, let's do that, if it's not much to ask.

BY DA WAY

I made this Ninten animated thingie. I liked the idea of the Ninten echo fighter design that was previously posted here with the long scarf. So I took that idea and applies it to Ninten's handkerchief, the idea being that he has a huge handkerchief with the two ends on the back sticking out but hanging wind physics.
(I hope I don't get called a thief for "stealing" an idea like that, I just liked the idea so much I thought I would apply it, since it's a really cool design choice)

View attachment 207724 <-Woah! Look at that wind!

Also remember that I'm not the best at animating or making pixel art. In fact, am still having a hard time animating but I give it my all, so I'm sorry if there's a frame that actually looks wrong or something.
The wind animation here is awesome. I'd love if that concept is used in a potential Ninten reveal trailer.

D

Deleted member

Sorry about the double post, but I had another idea for a Mother trilogy remake.

In Mother 1, you can teleport anywhere, but in Earthbound, you can't teleport in rooms or caves, and, in Mother 3, you don't obtain the ability to teleport.

In a Mother trilogy remake, they could upgrade the teleport in Earthbound so you can teleport anywhere, and they can give you the teleport ability in Mother 3, also allowing you to teleport anywhere. Mother 1 doesn't need changing with the teleport IMO, maybe the only thing is being able to teleport in a circle like in Earthbound.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Hold the phone

What if something Mother related is revealed or released on...

MOTHER'S DAY

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408

So it turns out that Ninten design was used outside of that one commercial. Neat.
It was also featured in a way as Ninten's design in the Novel, where he was named Ken (since he did not have a name until much later).

With this, we could say that Itoi would redesign Ninten to look like he does in the commercial while also fitting the artstyle of the Mother characters in Smash.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I kinda miss when Shogo Sakai, and other composers from HAL Laboratory did new remixes for Smash. Especially when the series was developed by HAL Laboratory.

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Oh, by the way guys. I had a really weird dream.

I was in a place that was Nintendo related, there were people there and there was a looooong table displaying 10 screens (?) that I'm pretty sure displayed the most sucessful new games from Nintendo.

The thing here is that the 7th screen displayed MOTHER. And it was a new logo because the planet representing the "O" was colored and more detailed and while the other letters looks pretty much the same, they looked like they were made of wood.

Could this be nothing but a dream? Yeah, maybe.
Could this be a signal of a MOTHER remake? YES, ABSOLU-Ahem, I mean... maybe. WhO KnOwS??

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

I was in a place that was Nintendo related, there were people there and there was a looooong table displaying 10 screens (?) that I'm pretty sure displayed the most sucessful new games from Nintendo.

The thing here is that the 7th screen displayed MOTHER. And it was a new logo because the planet representing the "O" was colored and more detailed and while the other letters looks pretty much the same, they looked like they were made of wood.

Could this be a signal of a MOTHER remake? YES, ABSOLU-Ahem, I mean... maybe. WhO KnOwS??
Maybe your dream is a vision!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Reminds me of the dream I had where Nintendo confirmed a released date for an unannounced game to be Saturday July 27th.

I didn't even know the 27th was a a Saturday until I looked.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I got an idea for a possible “Favorite Thing” PSI move to give to Ninten if they remade the trilogy. I was thinking of something along the lines of “PK Music” (as the default name), in which it functions the same way as Ness and Lucas’s versions, but instead of a diamond or hexagon pattern, it appears on-screen in the form of musical notes. I thought it would be suitable with the way Ninten and his friends collect the Eight Melodies and use the song against Giygas at the end and how they sing in the Ellay Live House scene. So it would be meant to fit in a music theme.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hold the phone

What if something Mother related is revealed or released on...

MOTHER'S DAY
When's Mother's Day in Japan?

Since only 3's logo has wood, that's your Mother 3 remake logo right there.
I got an idea for a possible “Favorite Thing” PSI move to give to Ninten if they remade the trilogy. I was thinking of something along the lines of “PK Music” (as the default name), in which it functions the same way as Ness and Lucas’s versions, but instead of a diamond or hexagon pattern, it appears on-screen in the form of musical notes. I thought it would be suitable with the way Ninten and his friends collect the Eight Melodies and use the song against Giygas at the end and how they sing in the Ellay Live House scene. So it would be meant to fit in a music theme.
I always had the headcanon that Ninten's special attack is PK Techno. Don't know where that one came from.

D

Deleted member

I always had the headcanon that Ninten's special attack is PK Techno. Don't know where that one came from.
Mother's day in Japan is, same as here in America, May 12.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Holy **** I thought I was the only one aware of PSIPaula4’s Insane EarthBound Adventures. PK Techno was Ninten’s custom move in that and I’m pretty sure it was planned to be in an EB0 fan remake.

Though I’d lie if I said I didn’t headcanon him with PK Techno as well. It just seems to fit his personality to me.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Holy **** I thought I was the only one aware of PSIPaula4’s Insane EarthBound Adventures. PK Techno was Ninten’s custom move in that and I’m pretty sure it was planned to be in an EB0 fan remake.

Though I’d lie if I said I didn’t headcanon him with PK Techno as well. It just seems to fit his personality to me.
That must be where I saw it, but I never really recalled where from. I just kind of osmosis'd it into my headcanon for all these years.

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet

You definitely ain't the only one, I grew up on that ****

Simpler times

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Lol, I like that there's a lot of us who saw the PK Techno thing. xD

I would not mind Ninten's unique PSI being PK Techno or anything different.

I do not remember what were the other default options for Ness and Lucas's favorite thing cuz if "Love" appeared in Earthbound, then we could take any default option from Earthbound and Mother 3 and apply it for Ninten's unique PSI in a Mother remake.

Actually, it didn't have a 3 anywhere and it had the font/letters of Mother 1, the letters looked mostly the same, they just were made of wood.
It would make more sense that it was a Mother 1 remake than a Mother 3 remake cuz Mother 1 is the beginning of the story, where everything is still pure. The whole deal with Mother 3's logo (without putting spoilers) is that it has wood and metal to represent the big elements of Mother 3's story. So yeh, my dream self knew it was refering to Mother 1 content.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That must be where I saw it, but I never really recalled where from. I just kind of osmosis'd it into my headcanon for all these years.
You definitely ain't the only one, I grew up on that ****

Simpler times

I do not remember what were the other default options for Ness and Lucas's favorite thing cuz if "Love" appeared in Earthbound, then we could take any default option from Earthbound and Mother 3 and apply it for Ninten's unique PSI in a Mother remake.

Actually, it didn't have a 3 anywhere and it had the font/letters of Mother 1, the letters looked mostly the same, they just were made of wood.
It would make more sense that it was a Mother 1 remake than a Mother 3 remake cuz Mother 1 is the beginning of the story, where everything is still pure. The whole deal with Mother 3's logo (without putting spoilers) is that it has wood and metal to represent the big elements of Mother 3's story. So yeh, my dream self knew it was refering to Mother 1 content.
Yeah, PK Techno would make a pretty cool unique PSI move for Ninten lol.

And yes, I'd like the idea of it being music. I feel like Ninten is the Mother protag most associated with music, with, heck, an option to sing in the final battle against Giegue.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

Techno’s awesome. And so is Trance!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder if they would give Ness and Lucas the moves they have in Smash, like PK Thunder and Fire to both of them, and PK Freeze to Lucas, in a Mother trilogy remake, so they could match how they are in Smash. Same goes for Ninten if he gets in and he has PK Beam as a move from Ana. I wonder if, at that point, they would give Beam to him in a Mother 1 remake.

TheBeastHimself

Now I'm imagining so many PSI-music based attacks that Ninten could use in a remake. A lot of you guys have some really good ideas! Also, I never heard of PK Techno being used for Ninten, but that sounds like a cool idea to me.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Now I'm imagining so many PSI-music based attacks that Ninten could use in a remake. A lot of you guys have some really good ideas! Also, I never heard of PK Techno being used for Ninten, but that sounds like a cool idea to me.
Personally, I always imagined it to be green and silver to contrast with his design. (Works with both the commercial and model + neckerchief designs)

To me techno also makes sense with the 80’s setting in my opinion with the popularity of synth pop in the 80’s, but PK Synthpop doesn’t really sound as cool to me.

Also Ninten uses 80’s slang like “Radical” unironically and you can’t prove me wrong.

D

Deleted member

Personally, I always imagined it to be green and silver to contrast with his design. (Works with both the commercial and model + neckerchief designs)

To me techno also makes sense with the 80’s setting in my opinion with the popularity of synth pop in the 80’s, but PK Synthpop doesn’t really sound as cool to me.

Also Ninten uses 80’s slang like “Radical” unironically and you can’t prove me wrong.
Photoshop of Ninten wearing 80's clothes pls

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Hey guys, here's a lil animation of Ninten using 4th-D Slip. In Smash, I pictured it being similar to the teleportation move of the Starman assist trophy. You would be able to control a small sparkle of PSI for a moment before Ninten reappears where the sparkle was (kinda like the Black Mage's Up B in Super Smash Flash 2).

Here's the position alone:

Ninten 4th-D Slip position.gif

And here's the whole animation thingie!

Ninten's 4th-D Slip.gif

Hope you guys like it!

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, here's a lil animation of Ninten using 4th-D Slip. In Smash, I pictured it being similar to the teleportation move of the Starman assist trophy. You would be able to control a small sparkle of PSI for a moment before Ninten reappears where the sparkle was (kinda like the Black Mage's Up B in Super Smash Flash 2).

Here's the position alone:

View attachment 208861

And here's the whole animation thingie!

View attachment 208862

Hope you guys like it!
Your animations are awesome dude!

Speaking of 4th-D-Slip, maybe (if Ninten is in Smash) he could use 4th-D-Slip as a recovery, but control the small sparkle to move anywhere you want, like in your animation.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Your animations are awesome dude!

Speaking of 4th-D-Slip, maybe (if Ninten is in Smash) he could use 4th-D-Slip as a recovery, but control the small sparkle to move anywhere you want, like in your animation.
Thank so much, it really means a lot! c:
And yeah, I think it would be a cool and unique recovery move!

D

Deleted member

Which game in the Mother series do y'all think has the best kinds of animations, like the PSI?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Which game in the Mother series do y'all think has the best kinds of animations, like the PSI?
MOTHER 1 OF CO-

Ahem, I mean, if it surprised anyone, I think that all of them are equally good.
Earthbound Beginnings / Mother 1 's animations are REALLY simplistic, but as I said in my first experience with the game, it has this charm that personally allows me to imagine the battles easily. And the sound effects are really nice. There's this charm about NES games that I love.
(Also, the sound effect for PK Freeze in Mother 1 / Earthbound Beginnings is the one sound effect where I actually imagine the move being casted how it's represented in Smash with Lucas' PK Freeze)

Earthbound / Mother 2 's PSI animations are more retro-like and abstract, they're also very colorful and I like that some are longer than Mother 3's. I also like the sound effects for the moves, specially PK Freeze, PK Flash and PK Rockin. In fact that's a reason why I like Earthbound, it has really colorful PSI animation and locations.

Mother 3's animations are SO well done! They're smooth and really awesome to look at. They also have the best variety compared to the previous game (since you know, when you use any sort of shield in Mother 2 / Earthbound it's pretty much the same animation but with a different color). The fact that they also add PSI animations to the text boxes when you cast a shield, when you cast life up or when buff someone is also a really nice touch.

I dunno which one I like the most, so I just said why all of them are equally good! c:

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
PK Rockin always looked dope to me so EarthBound I suppose.

M3 had the best character sprite animations however obviously.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree with your opinions. I think Earthbound has the best PSI animations, and Mother 3 the best sprite animations.

And Mother 1 for the amazing dancing in Ellay and reminding me of Charlie Brown.

Top Bottom