• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

D

Deleted member

Maybe, in a Mother 1 remake, they could have Teddy join you for a larger amount of time in the game. He's always depicted as one of the 4 heroes, but I think he needs more time in the party, and someone here (can't remember who lol) suggested the idea that you can have all 4 of them in the party and I'd love that

...You're kidding, right?

By that logic, why do you want Geno in Smash (Which I know you do since you got a profile pic of him and I see you're mostly active in the Geno thread) if he's yet ANOTHER Mario character? Who also happens to be ANOTHER character from Square. Don't you want variety?

You know... like... I dunno, Mother / Earthbound? That one underrated series who did not get any new fighters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate? While some other series that also only had 2 characters like Metroid, Donkey Kong and Star Fox received at least a new fighter?

No offense or anything (in fact I also highly support Geno fans who are not disrespectful against other characters), but between Ninten and Geno, Ninten definitely brings more variety if we're going with your logic.
I agree with this, and I say that as a Geno fan

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Maybe, in a Mother 1 remake, they could have Teddy join you for a larger amount of time in the game. He's always depicted as one of the 4 heroes, but I think he needs more time in the party, and someone here (can't remember who lol) suggested the idea that you can have all 4 of them in the party and I'd love that

I agree with this, and I say that as a Geno fan
Yeah, like maybe Teddy ends up making amends with Lloyd after he saves everyone and realizes that he made some really rash judgments about him. Teddy wants to help the gang out in its entirety in order to make up for all of the mental hurt he caused Lloyd, but can't because of his injuries. He encourages the group to go on without him, but Lloyd realizes how sorry Teddy is and convinces Ninten and Ana to use their combined healing powers to speed up his recovery. Ninten and Ana are hesitant at first because they don't know if it will work or not, nor do they know how much effort it would take them, but they decide it's worth a shot. After all, Giegue is no easy foe and the group want all of the help they can get. Blam, Teddy's the fourth party member now. Feel free to revise this idea or something, I feel like it could go similarly to this.

sorry this is so ****ty, I came up with this on the spot and I feel like my writing skills are a bit lacking ha ha

D

Deleted member

Yeah, like maybe Teddy ends up making amends with Lloyd after he saves everyone and realizes that he made some really rash judgments about him. Teddy wants to help the gang out in its entirety in order to make up for all of the mental hurt he caused Lloyd, but can't because of his injuries. He encourages the group to go on without him, but Lloyd realizes how sorry Teddy is and convinces Ninten and Ana to use their combined healing powers to speed up his recovery. Ninten and Ana are hesitant at first because they don't know if it will work or not, nor do they know how much effort it would take them, but they decide it's worth a shot. After all, Giegue is no easy foe and the group want all of the help they can get. Blam, Teddy's the fourth party member now. Feel free to revise this idea or something, I feel like it could go similarly to this.

sorry this is so ****ty, I came up with this on the spot and I feel like my writing skills are a bit lacking ha ha
Nah, I like this.

More lore and story could work perfectly in a Mother 1 remake. It's already very intriguing as is, so adding more like this is the cherry on top of the ice cream cone imo

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408

Honestly, I think this is a really cool idea for having all the 4 party members active.

I honestly would not mind if they changed how events unfold a bit for the remake, and basically make it so that the game is harder since you'll need the help of all party members, which you would have starting half-way through the game. Still the same game and story for the most part, of course.

Also, I proposed the idea that Ninten would get unique items and abilities from his companions by having a new feature where you spend time with them in locations from the redesigned cities and towns (as most of them kinda look the same). Maybe they could add things and elements that the original game didn't have and further portray the concept of a bunch of friends hanging out in the city, and with enough friendship these events where Ninten learns new abilities from his partners would play.

Since I said that in the case of Teddy, Ninten would get the Hank's Bat from Teddy as a symbol of friendship, maybe he would get it after Teddy fully recovers thanks to Ninten and Ana's healing abilities.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Nah, I like this.

More lore and story could work perfectly in a Mother 1 remake. It's already very intriguing as is, so adding more like this is the cherry on top of the ice cream cone imo
Honestly, I think this is a really cool idea for having all the 4 party members active.

I honestly would not mind if they changed how events unfold a bit for the remake, and basically make it so that the game is harder since you'll need the help of all party members, which you would have starting half-way through the game. Still the same game and story for the most part, of course.

Also, I proposed the idea that Ninten would get unique items and abilities from his companions by having a new feature where you spend time with them in locations from the redesigned cities and towns (as most of them kinda look the same). Maybe they could add things and elements that the original game didn't have and further portray the concept of a bunch of friends hanging out in the city, and with enough friendship these events where Ninten learns new abilities from his partners would play.

Since I said that in the case of Teddy, Ninten would get the Hank's Bat from Teddy as a symbol of friendship, maybe he would get it after Teddy fully recovers thanks to Ninten and Ana's healing abilities.
Yeah, I'm a person of many headcanons, so I like coming up with little story ideas like this even if I'm a tad bit unconfident when it comes to presenting them. I do really like the idea of having little in-game locations where you can bond with your party members and stuff like that. In a way, it seems like something they'd do in a Pokemon game and the fact that I'm a Pokemon fan just makes it that much cooler to me imo. Also, what if Pippi had a bit more of a dominant role in the story? I don't think she'd be a permanent party member, but more of a reoccurring side-character. She already is kinda like that in Mother, but maybe she could show up more frequently and the game could give more explanation as to why she's just a seven-year-old in this random cottage, far from home, in the middle of a swamp? I like Pippi and think that she's sorta underappreciated as a character. In my book, I put her on about the same level as the other party members since she's a somewhat reoccurring character and has a close relationship with Ninten. Idk, I'd just like to see it expanded upon a bit.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'm a person of many headcanons, so I like coming up with little story ideas like this even if I'm a tad bit unconfident when it comes to presenting them. I do really like the idea of having little in-game locations where you can bond with your party members and stuff like that. In a way, it seems like something they'd do in a Pokemon game and the fact that I'm a Pokemon fan just makes it that much cooler to me imo. Also, what if Pippi had a bit more of a dominant role in the story? I don't think she'd be a permanent party member, but more of a reoccurring side-character. She already is kinda like that in Mother, but maybe she could show up more frequently and the game could give more explanation as to why she's just a seven-year-old in this random cottage, far from home, in the middle of a swamp? I like Pippi and think that she's sorta underappreciated as a character. In my book, I put her on about the same level as the other party members since she's a somewhat reoccurring character and has a close relationship with Ninten. Idk, I'd just like to see it expanded upon a bit.
These ideas are soooooooooooooo gooooooooooood and just make my mouth water when this could all possibly be in a remake of Mother 1 lmao

Another thing, what do you guys think of the difficultly of the bosses? I think they could make them more difficult and raise their stats like their HP. After all, they did do that in the M&L SS remake, so they could definitely do that in a Mother 1 remake.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
These ideas are soooooooooooooo gooooooooooood and just make my mouth water when this could all possibly be in a remake of Mother 1 lmao

Another thing, what do you guys think of the difficultly of the bosses? I think they could make them more difficult and raise their stats like their HP. After all, they did do that in the M&L SS remake, so they could definitely do that in a Mother 1 remake.
That's what I mean, you would get your party members sooner, so you would relly on them more to take out all the bosses and strong monsters. And the feature of Ninten getting items and abilities from his party members from some events would also help with the more difficult boss battles.

I also wouldn't mind new locations and bosses in places where there used to be nothing in the original game. Given that all of it would be aproved by Itoi, new content would always be really nice.

One idea that I think would be cool is having a hidden boss somewhere. Maybe there's a rip through space and time and you get to fight Ness and his party members. And after that fight you would get an item that would let you fight another rip through time and space that would allow you to fight Lucas and his party members.
I find that unlikely in a Mother remake, but still. A hidden optional boss would be awesome. And making it the strongest boss in the game.

D

Deleted member

That's what I mean, you would get your party members sooner, so you would relly on them more to take out all the bosses and strong monsters. And the feature of Ninten getting items and abilities from his party members from some events would also help with the more difficult boss battles.

I also wouldn't mind new locations and bosses in places where there used to be nothing in the original game. Given that all of it would be aproved by Itoi, new content would always be really nice.

One idea that I think would be cool is having a hidden boss somewhere. Maybe there's a rip through space and time and you get to fight Ness and his party members. And after that fight you would get an item that would let you fight another rip through time and space that would allow you to fight Lucas and his party members.
I find that unlikely in a Mother remake, but still. A hidden optional boss would be awesome. And making it the strongest boss in the game.
Oh, my bad, I misread part of your post lol.

I would love a hidden boss as well. Though I don't think fighting the heroes of the later games would be a good idea lol. I think it would be cool if the potential optional boss in a Mother 1 remake is Porky, screwing around with his time travel, and, heck, maybe Loid even recognizing him (although Loid being Dr. Andonuts is a fan theory, so Idk about that last part). But still, I think it would be really cool if an optional boss in a Mother 1 remake is Porky, and that he got there via messing with time travel.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet

Honestly, I can totally relate. The thought of all of this in a potential Mother remake makes me absolutely... hungry? Idk, that's the best way for me to describe it XD. Like, I just crave this type of content and character development. And yes, while many of this ideas are absolutely preposterous, the thought of them still excites me and I just love to share my thoughts on stuff like this.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I can totally relate. The thought of all of this in a potential Mother remake makes me absolutely... hungry? Idk, that's the best way for me to describe it XD. Like, I just crave this type of content and character development. And yes, while many of this ideas are absolutely preposterous, the thought of them still excites me and I just love to share my thoughts on stuff like this.
Nah m8 this is the Mother series

Embrace the preposterousness

The preposterous is possible - anything is possible with the Mother series - the same series that brought us a ****ing LAMP as an enemy

Last edited by a moderator:

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Nah m8 this is the Mother series

Embrace the preposterousness

The preposterous is possible - anything is possible with the Mother series - the same series that brought us a ****ing LAMP as an enemy
Yeah, I guess by preposterous I just meant the chances of Nintendo including this good **** in a game. Honestly I don't question the actual events of the Mother series lol

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Yeah, I guess by preposterous I just meant the chances of Nintendo including this good **** in a game. Honestly I don't question the actual events of the Mother series lol
I mean, if I had Psychich powers and there was a lamp and other objects attacking me, I wouldn't question it either.

You got fricking Psychic powers!

Just like with the Mother series, I would just roll with it.

D

Deleted member

AND YOU HAVE TO SMACK A MEDIATING HIPPIE IN THE FACE WITH A PLASTIC BAT

AND FOUREYES - AN INSULT - AS AN ENEMY

AND WHAT THE **** IS A BARBOT

AND NANCY, KELLY, AND JUANA

Mother is just the series that makes you scream "WHAT THE ****!???" While also immensely enjoying it at the same time

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
AND YOU HAVE TO SMACK A MEDIATING HIPPIE IN THE FACE WITH A PLASTIC BAT

AND FOUREYES - AN INSULT - AS AN ENEMY

AND WHAT THE **** IS A BARBOT

AND NANCY, KELLY, AND JUANA

Mother is just the series that makes you scream "WHAT THE ****!???" While also immensely enjoying it at the same time
Nancy,Kelly and Juana are named after some staff that worked in the translation. No idea about their japanese names though(Suzy,Caroline and Jane),probably some random female names because they are robots with um.....detailed breasts.

D

Deleted member

Nancy,Kelly and Juana are named after some staff that worked in the translation. No idea about their japanese names though(Suzy,Caroline and Jane),probably some random female names because they are robots with um.....detailed breasts.
Oh yeah I know lol. I just mean why they used their names as enemies, and for robotic-psychic ones lmao

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I know lol. I just mean why they used their names as enemies, and for robotic-psychic ones lmao
EBB has the most uncanny enemies in the trilogy imo,Shroudley looks like a horror game enemy with the drippling blood and all that. I played EBB for the first time when I was like 10 or 11 and some enemies like Shroudley or the Dr Distorto used to scare me.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
EBB has the most uncanny enemies in the trilogy imo,Shroudley looks like a horror game enemy with the drippling blood and all that. I played EBB for the first time when I was like 10 or 11 and some enemies like Shroudley or the Dr Distorto used to scare me.
Yeah, something about the EBB enemies is just so freaky. Like, the EB and M3 enemies have enough detail to their sprites that they're not as creepy. It's just easier to tell what some of them are, whereas the limitations of the NES lead to some pretty strange-looking sprites that could be interpreted many different ways.

Also, this is completely unrelated, but what if a Mother series remake had battles similar to the game Miitopia? Like, it would have the same Earthbound battle mechanics like the rolling hp bar and maybe even the classic battle backgrounds, but you'd be able to see your characters readying their attacks and actually approaching their enemies before an attack. Idk, just a thought.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, something about the EBB enemies is just so freaky. Like, the EB and M3 enemies have enough detail to their sprites that they're not as creepy. It's just easier to tell what some of them are, whereas the limitations of the NES lead to some pretty strange-looking sprites that could be interpreted many different ways.

Also, this is completely unrelated, but what if a Mother series remake had battles similar to the game Miitopia? Like, it would have the same Earthbound battle mechanics like the rolling hp bar and maybe even the classic battle backgrounds, but you'd be able to see your characters readying their attacks and actually approaching their enemies before an attack. Idk, just a thought.
I agree on the enemies. It's another thing I love about Mother 1 more than Earthbound and Mother 3.

About a Mother remake potentially having the mechanic where you see them approach the enemies, I would really like it, but at the same, time, I like the battle system as is, where you see the rolling HP and having the party attack without seeing them.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with whatever style they choose but personally I would love something like this:

The style they chose for the remake of DQ7 it's like a mix between the classic style and the you-can-see-the-attacks-style

D

Deleted member

I'm fine with whatever style they choose but personally I would love something like this:

The style they chose for the remake of DQ7 it's like a mix between the classic style and the you-can-see-the-attacks-style
Ooh, I would like a style like this, actually.

And imagine seeing PK Beam, Freeze, Fire, and Thunder like this, and pretty much all the other PSI attacks. And the PSI attacks like PSI Rockin' and PK Love in Earthbound and Mother 3...

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet

I actually really like this too! It would be really interesting to see a remake done with this type of combat system. I could see it being easily adjusted to fit in the rolling hp bar and stuff.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, as tough as it was to deal with, fighting the Psycho Car in Smash Bros. was glorious.

You're right. Mother is a huge issue when it comes to variety in Smash. That's why we need more Fire Emblem characters based on Marth.
Jokes aside, that user doesn't realise that there's barely any options for Mother characters any more, when anyone that isn't the hero is set aside. Porky is maybe the only non-hero that's not at a disadvantage.

D

Deleted member

If Ninten gets in, he could possibly have a redesign not only for Smash, but in a Mother 1 remake as well

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Honestly. Ninten would not be the first character who would get a redesign that would then be used for a new game of a series considered dead. (We got Pit, after all)
I would not mind having Ninten redesigned for Smash and then have that redesign used for a Mother remake. Just like how I would not mind Ninten not getting in Smash as long as he gets a redesign and a remake.

Also, for all we know, we might get a second set of fighters in the future if Ninten turns out to not be any of the remaining 4. I dunno why but I kinda feel that as a possibility.
In any case, I hope Ninten gets a well deserved redesign, maybe then some kind of people would start seeing him as his own character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly. Ninten would not be the first character would would get a redesign that would then be used for a new game of a series considered dead. (We got Pit, after all)
I would not mind having Ninten redesigned for Smash and then have that redesign used for a Mother remake. Just like how I would not mind Ninten not getting in Smash as long as he gets a redesign and a remake.

Also, for all we know, we might get a second set of fighters in the future if Ninten turns out to not be any of the remaining 4. I dunno why but I kinda feel that as a possibility.
In any case, I hope Ninten gets a well deserved redesign, maybe then some kind of people would start seeing him as his own character.
I agree. If he gets, like you said, a redesign and a remake of his game, people would already give him more of a chance, and his chances to get into Smash increase even further.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
We need a redesign for Ninten. You sit two people down and I guarantee you they will picture Ninten in their heads differently.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's see

Ridley got a redesign for his height when people said he was "too big"

so maybe Ninten could get a Smash redesign when people say he is "too similar to Ness"

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Hi, sorry for being out so long!

Has Ninten ever had an official design? If not, than yeah I could pretty much see Sakurai making some major changes in order to make the character more distinguishable from Ness, while still staying true to his original appearance!
The funny thing is that I never thought his NES sprite looked anything like Ness at all!

But either way, if we're talking about redesigns, which one of these fan-made designs do you think it's the most suiting:
d26.png

I personally think the second one is the best choice specially cuz it's closer to his original NES design! And I've always had a weakness for characters' original designs, I even go as far as saying that I prefer Miyamoto's original design of Donkey Kong than Rareware's redesign!

D

Deleted member

Has Ninten ever had an official design? If not, than yeah I could pretty much see Sakurai making some major changes in order to make the character more distinguishable from Ness, while still staying true to his original appearance!
The funny thing is that I never thought his NES sprite looked anything like Ness at all!

But either way, if we're talking about redesigns, which one of these fan-made designs do you think it's the most suiting:

I personally think the second one is the best choice specially cuz it's closer to his original NES design! And I've always had a weakness for characters' original designs, I even go as far as saying that I prefer Miyamoto's original design of Donkey Kong than Rareware's redesign!
Hello! For a Ninten design, I think he can either use the design of the second fanmade render you showed, or have a redesign. However, his design that has him wearing a white, red, and blue striped shirt and a bandana is actually from the official Japanese Mother 1 commercial, so it is canon, and, again, an official design by Nintendo -

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I prefer the second one all the way, I was never fond of the first one. I don't know who made it but that Ninten design has some years and I always found it a little weird, maybe it's the form of the cap the artist used.

If I were to redesign him I'd make him wear some of the bracelets you can equip in EBB (though they were localized as rings) so he can stand out more.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
I prefer the second one all the way, I was never fond of the first one. I don't know who made it but that Ninten design has some years and I always found it a little weird, maybe it's the form of the cap the artist used.

If I were to redesign him I'd make him wear some of the bracelets you can equip in EBB (though they were localized as rings) so he can stand out more.
Yeah, idk why but I've always drawn Ninten with wristbands, so if they incorporated something similar into his design, I think it would be cool. The design I've always given him is a mix of the commercial, his sprite, and some personal touches (it's the design in my pfp). I feel like if he gets added, he'll probably use the commercial design since it's pretty popular, it's canon, and it would differentiate him from Ness quite a bit.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, idk why but I've always drawn Ninten with wristbands, so if they incorporated something similar into his design, I think it would be cool. The design I've always given him is a mix of the commercial, his sprite, and some personal touches (it's the design in my pfp). I feel like if he gets added, he'll probably use the commercial design since it's pretty popular, it's canon, and it would differentiate him from Ness quite a bit.
That's a really interesting design idea. I like how the wristbands are used in this fanart too:

MOTHER the First.png

D

Deleted member

Now that I think of it...
Would Ninten have the party members from Mother 1 in his Final Smash similar to Ness and Lucas?

Sakurai would have to create new designs not only for Ninten in that case, but hopefully it isn’t something to worry about.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Would Ninten have the party members from Mother 1 in his Final Smash similar to Ness and Lucas?

Sakurai would have to create new designs not only for Ninten in that case, but hopefully it isn’t something to worry about.
I don't think the party members would get a redesign. And Nintendo loves to recycle so for Ana I'm 100% sure they'd just add pigtails to Paula's model and that's it.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408

Hey there! Welcome back!
As Zack E. said, I preffer the second design. And not only was it used in the commercial, some elements from that design were later used in the MOTHER novel as well. Which is also aproved by Shigesato Itoi.
Since Shigesato Itoi owns the characters, I think it would be possible that Itoi would want Ninten to look like his own character by having him keep some elements from the commercial and the novel like the bandana and the blue, white and red striped shirt while still keeping traits that appeared in his clay model and that people know about like the socks, shoes, the spiky hair and the shirt being lower on one side.
In adition to this, they could take some liberties with these traits. Like making his hair a bit different instead of staying mainly like a spiky version of Ness' hair. Or having the shoes be different in desing.

All of this would be good to differenciate Ninten, keep elements from his original design and make him stand out as his own character. A few creative liberties here and there would not be bad for the character, after all.

However, if Ninten were to have his design purely based on his clay model. Just like Pit, they could alter his design to make him stand out as his own character, I mean that's basically what they did with Pit, taking already existing elements and altering them, you can still tell he's Pit, just looking WAY different but with elements that still make people who know him tell it's him

With that said, I guess they could first change the hue and saturation of his clothes. The blue on his shirt could be light or darker and more inclined towards light blue or something. Same for the stripes, maybe they would make the yellow stripes thinner. And maybe one of the few elements they would change would be the color of the yellow stripes to white stripes.

In any case, his design from the clay model could still be altered enoug

D

Deleted member

Eh, I don't think the party members need a redesign. It's possible they could get one, but I don't think they necessarily need one. Loid and Teddy, at least. Ana can be distinguishable from Paula by adding pigtails and a hat, and no red bow.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Eh, I don't think the party members need a redesign. It's possible they could get one, but I don't think they necessarily need one. Loid and Teddy, at least. Ana can be distinguishable from Paula by adding pigtails and a hat, and no red bow.
Yeah, I believe that if they were to have any kind of redesign, it would mostly be just adjusting their proportions a bit to match the art style of Mother characters. The clothes would stay exactly the same.

Also this is completely unrelated and is just my own silly personal opinion. I personally don't like that Paula and Ana wear lipstick (or have mouths that looks like they're wearing lipstick).
Nothing agaisnt people who use make up or kids who want to wear it, but I just don't like the idea of a small girl wearing lipstick. If it were up to me, Ana would have a regular mouth like Kumatora, the same goes for Paula. (Not saying it looks bad, I just have a slight prefference of one thing over the other)

But anyways, yeah, I think they would just add more detail to Ana and Lloyd's clothes, just like how Ness and Lucas' clothes have more detail on them. Other than that, their designs would stay almost unchanged. As both of their designs are able to stand out from the rest of the Mother cast.

Last edited:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Also this is completely unrelated and is just my own silly personal opinion. I personally don't like that Paula and Ana wear lipstick (or have mouths that looks like they're wearing lipstick).
Nothing agaisnt people who use make up or kids who want to wear it, but I just don't like the idea of a small girl wearing lipstick. If it were up to me, Ana would have a regular mouth like Kumatora, the same goes for Paula. (Not saying it looks bad, I just have a slight prefference of one thing over the other)
Sadly it's just an aged stereotype. Ana and Paula are cute and pink and bubbly,Kumatora is a tomboy teen so having cute features is "strictly forbidden" (IIRC her cheeks are not even blushed in the SSB model,a common trait among Mother characters).

Or maybe it's not lipstick and it's a hello kitty lip gloss instead (now that was a bad joke don't kill me.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom