• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You could do it as an Earthbound hack. I think the tools are pretty simple to use.

Hmm, this is interesting.

I'll likely try it sometime - I'll have to download a ROM, but I guess it'll be fine. I guess I could just rip my copy of EarthBound on the Wii U...but, the VC titles are modified...

edit: I don't mind downloading roms - it's just I'm scared I might get a virus...though, my EarthBound Zero ROM is fine, as were those Pokemon Gold/Silver demo roms...

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Sakurai also deconfirmed the possibility of Ridley in Smash in 2014/2015.

And, by "hardly acknowledging it," it somehow ends up being one of 3 series to have all its stages return in Ultimate, having more spirits than Metroid, Yoshi, Star Fox, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, Wario, Punch Out, Xenoblade, Metal Gear, and Sonic, having a piece of art made by an official staff member of Mother 3 to celebrate Ultimate, having Mother 1 be localized, and having Earthbound on the SNES Classic and WiiU VC.

You're giving up too quickly
Not sure if it's too late to reply, but here I go (btw, I just want to make sure that you know there's no hard feelings in this, I'm just giving my opinions).

I don't think it's fair to compare Sakurai and Itoi because they are two completely different people. If Sakurai changes his mind a lot, that doesn't necessarily mean Itoi will. 13 years, and we're still waiting. I was 12 when I first played Mother 3 in 2008, so I definitely have not given up too quickly lol because I'd say I started really losing hope in 2017/2018 and that's fair because that's a decade of waiting.

Nintendo as a company does hardly acknowledge Mother. We're lucky that Sakurai gives it a lot of love in Smash. It's not like the heads of Nintendo themselves planned on bringing back every Mother stage, and including so many spirits. That all can be credited to the lovely work of Sakurai's development and spirit teams.

A person who has worked on some kind of media is allowed to create art for it after it is over without it hinting at a revival. Just look at Butch Hartman and his YouTube channel. He's still pumping out new artwork of the Fairly Odd Parents and Danny Phantom even though both shows are cancelled and he has left Nickelodeon. Just because that Mother 3 staffer created art in celebration of Ultimate doesn't necessarily mean it's hinting at something. I think they just wanted to create a wholesome picture of the Mother 3 characters playing Ultimate.

And like I've said, Mother 1 was already localized for decades before it was released on VC. I don't think it took a heaping amount of effort to change the name and throw it on the eShop lol. EarthBound is a famous cult classic, that's why it's on the SNES Classic and Wii U VC. You know what else is on VC? Duck Hunt. But that doesn't mean it's hinting at a new Duck Hunt game.

I'm sorry for bringing my pessimistic views into this thread, I'll try my best to refrain from doing so in the future. However, I think a lot of the alleged "evidence" and "hinting" of a new Mother game is just really passionate fans looking too deeply at things that aren't supposed to be looked at so deeply. But I'm not gonna judge or criticize anyone for having hope, I'm just tossing around my thoughts. I used to have a lot of hope but after so much waiting it just bit me in the butt and I realized it's not worth my time to keep wishing for something that will likely never come to fruition.

But hey, to each their own, so if you guys really want to hope for a new game, then who am I to stop you?

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if it's too late to reply, but here I go (btw, I just want to make sure that you know there's no hard feelings in this, I'm just giving my opinions).

I don't think it's fair to compare Sakurai and Itoi because they are two completely different people. If Sakurai changes his mind a lot, that doesn't necessarily mean Itoi will. 13 years, and we're still waiting. I was 12 when I first played Mother 3 in 2008, so I definitely have not given up too quickly lol because I'd say I started really losing hope in 2017/2018 and that's fair because that's a decade of waiting.

Nintendo as a company does hardly acknowledge Mother. We're lucky that Sakurai gives it a lot of love in Smash. It's not like the heads of Nintendo themselves planned on bringing back every Mother stage, and including so many spirits. That all can be credited to the lovely work of Sakurai's development and spirit teams.

A person who has worked on some kind of media is allowed to create art for it after it is over without it hinting at a revival. Just look at Butch Hartman and his YouTube channel. He's still pumping out new artwork of the Fairly Odd Parents and Danny Phantom even though both shows are cancelled and he has left Nickelodeon. Just because that Mother 3 staffer created art in celebration of Ultimate doesn't necessarily mean it's hinting at something. I think they just wanted to create a wholesome picture of the Mother 3 characters playing Ultimate.

And like I've said, Mother 1 was already localized for decades before it was released on VC. I don't think it took a heaping amount of effort to change the name and throw it on the eShop lol. EarthBound is a famous cult classic, that's why it's on the SNES Classic and Wii U VC. You know what else is on VC? Duck Hunt. But that doesn't mean it's hinting at a new Duck Hunt game.

I'm sorry for bringing my pessimistic views into this thread, I'll try my best to refrain from doing so in the future. However, I think a lot of the alleged "evidence" and "hinting" of a new Mother game is just really passionate fans looking too deeply at things that aren't supposed to be looked at so deeply. But I'm not gonna judge or criticize anyone for having hope, I'm just tossing around my thoughts. I used to have a lot of hope but after so much waiting it just bit me in the butt and I realized it's not worth my time to keep wishing for something that will likely never come to fruition.

But hey, to each their own, so if you guys really want to hope for a new game, then who am I to stop you?
You are absolutely free to give your opinion and thoughts whether they are positive or "negative",there is nothing wrong in having a counter argument. I never saw your posts as pessimistic,they are in fact realistic which at the same time may sound pessimistic because that's the way the reality of this series is.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for really being more clear about the topic.

About not acknowledging the game, not every series gets acknowledgement. And, Smash is a Nintendo game. They likely have to approve all the content to.

While the art may not hint at a new trilogy, I see it as an acknowledgement. It's not exactly a "convenient" thing to do imo.

How do we know that the Mother 1 localization was ready years in advance? And, even if it was, no one was particularly requesting them. There wasn't a reason to do it, but they did it anyway.

For the things pointing to possible Mother content in the future, it may seem like looking too deep at first. It may seem like a coincidence, but that's what people say about things that seem at first glance "impossible." No matter how possible or impossible, there are things that point to it and it's part of what's giving me hope.

And, while yes, Sakurai and Itoi are different people, they are still people. And people can change their minds.

Again though, thanks for giving your opinion :)

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
EarthBound is a famous cult classic, that's why it's on the SNES Classic and Wii U VC. You know what else is on VC? Duck Hunt. But that doesn't mean it's hinting at a new Duck Hunt game.
It is a good thing then that no one is arguing that a new Mother game is coming solely because earthbound exists on the VC then.

Edit: Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion though, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with doubting.

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
How do we know that the Mother 1 localization was ready years in advance? And, even if it was, no one was particularly requesting them. There wasn't a reason to do it, but they did it anyway.
The game was fully functional, but never released because the NES was considered dead by that point.

However, a prototype cartridge found it's way to the internet and Mother fans got their hands on it and released Earth Bound to the internet. At some point, the rom was renamed EarthBound Zero to prevent confusion with EarthBound. Then, years later out of the blue, Nintendo was like "hey, you know that game we've been sitting on for a few decades that is being stolen online? What if we, like, just released it and actually make money off of it?"

D

Deleted member

The game was fully functional, but never released because the NES was considered dead by that point.

However, a prototype cartridge found it's way to the internet and Mother fans got their hands on it and released Earth Bound to the internet. At some point, the rom was renamed EarthBound Zero to prevent confusion with EarthBound. Then, years later out of the blue, Nintendo was like "hey, you know that game we've been sitting on for a few decades that is being stolen online? What if we, like, just released it and actually make money off of it?"
I see.

I don't see it as a totally effortless thing though. If they didn't want to put effort into anything, they wouldn't have released it at all

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Personally, I see the possibility of Mother getting remakes in the realm of possibility with how much Mother keeps appearing in Smash. After all, one of Smash's points is to introduce people to new series that they might want to know more about.
Even though it's a slightly different scenario, it wouldn't be the first time one or more characters appear in Smash despite their game or games being obscure and then get a new game. It happened with Kid Icarus, I could see Nintendo wanting to do something similar and see how it pays out. (though I'm not saying it's probable)
So yeah, they could remaster Mother games and target them at the same kind of audience that like colorful, cute games like Pikmin, Kirby and Animal Crossing. Or well, the audience that likes RPG's like Paper Mario, Bowser's inside story and Fire Emblem.

Again, not saying this is something that will most likely be done. But man, wouldn't it be cool?

On a separate note, a friend of mine told me that if they were to remaster Mother, he would see it looking like how the world of Winnie the Pooh looks in Kingdom Hearts 3 in terms of general design and lighting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On a separate note, a friend of mine told me that if they were to remaster Mother, he would see it looking like how the world of Winnie the Poo looks in Kingdom Hearts 3 in terms of general design and lighting.
Huh...that's an interesting thought. I looked up how Winnie looks in KH3, and I guess I could see it like that.

I would like to see a remake of the Mother games look like the remakes of Mario and Luigi SS and BIS. I think it would look awesome

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmm, this is interesting.

I'll likely try it sometime - I'll have to download a ROM, but I guess it'll be fine. I guess I could just rip my copy of EarthBound on the Wii U...but, the VC titles are modified...

edit: I don't mind downloading roms - it's just I'm scared I might get a virus...though, my EarthBound Zero ROM is fine, as were those Pokemon Gold/Silver demo roms...
You shouldn’t be afraid of any virus. In my *ahem* long career of rom-downloading, I haven’t suffered from those.

What you should be wary of is that Nintendo is killing every site with its roms, so you might have a semi-hard time finding one.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You shouldn’t be afraid of any virus. In my *ahem* long career of rom-downloading, I haven’t suffered from those.

What you should be wary of is that Nintendo is killing every site with its roms, so you might have a semi-hard time finding one.
Yeah, I remember one rom site that seemed safe, but they took their Nintendo roms down because of that. It was mainly other sites that I was weary of viruses.

'guess I'll use the VC version if I can't find one.

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
@Zack E. See, I'm just glad we can come to a mutual understanding of each other instead of going back and forth arguing :grin:
That just proves the point I made earlier! That ,unlike some other communities, the Mother fanbase is mainly formed by good people! c:
Unlike... well... anyone who only cares about shoving the character that they wanna see in Smash and neglecting the possibility of any other fighter getting in the roster.

Not saying other communities can't be mostly respectful or that there aren't respectful people in some communities with bad reputation. I'm pretty sure there are awesome people out there who form part of commonly horrible communities. Just that Mother fans tend to be one of the best examples of a good community. (And I know that, just like with everything on the internet, there are some toxic people but my point still stands)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
...well, as it turns out, someone is already working on a Mother remake as an EarthBound hack.

I might just go ahead and make my own version, though...plus, I could make some meme/silly hacks...

edit: I'll likely also work on an RPG Maker XP version of Mother 1 if I don't just drop the hack idea all-together, as I just found an EarthBound Starter Kit for the software...

edit 2: eh, nvm it's not even finished...nor is another one I found...I'll just stick to the hack. I could also make Undertale hacks for EB :shades:

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I got bored today and figured y'all might enjoy this.

Ninten moveset concept

Neutral b - PK Beam α/β/γ: a projectile that can be charged and stored. It travels in a straight line from Ninten and functions like falco laser, then wolf laser depending on how much it is charged. Once fully charged, it can be thrown in any direction by tapping b and pointing in that direction. The projectile is like a slower version of the Starman assist trophy version of the move, and kills at reasonable percents. Goes through the stage and platforms.

Side b - ShieldOff: Ninten lets out a burst of psychic energy in front of him that deals massive shield damage. Functionally similar to Marcina’a shield breaker, but is bigger with less knockback. Chargeable.

Up b - 4thD slip: a teleport recovery with huge distance. Visually, it is identical to the Starman assist trophy teleport animation. The teleport can be curved and snaps to ledge easily. Invincible at frame 1, but has high landing lag. Puts Ninten in freefall and greatly reduces his aerial drift afterward.

Down b - Power Shield: a counter/reflect in one ala Palutena.

Jab - a rapid jab that involves Ninten rapidly swirling a boomerang in front of him using his PSI. 3 hit combo is just a single boomerang swing.
Tilt attacks are the same as Ness/Lucas, but utilt is a boomerang swing instead of PSI.

Nair - Ninten uses his PSI to quickly whirl a boomerang 360 degrees around him. It’s a single, quick disjointed hit.
Fair - Throws the boomerang a short distance, and it then returns to Ninten. Visually similar to Link's, but significantly shorter range and much faster return time.
Bair - Basically Ike's bair, but with a bat
Uair - Ninten swirls a boomerang above his head for a very long lasting multihit move. Does tons of damage, but can't kill.
Dair - Ninten slashes downward with his bat for a vicious spike.

Fsmash - a metal bat swing that reflects projectiles
Dsmash - uses his PSI to whirl his bat around him quickly, keeping it low to the ground
Usmash - uses his PSI to twirl his bat above his head quickly, like Robin’s usmash.

Up taunt: Ninten does a twirl while floating in the air using his PSI. Can be looped to constantly twirl.
Side taunt: Ninten puffs on an inhaler
Down taunt: an explosive fire effect causes a surprised Ninten to be covered in soot, which he quickly shakes off

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Most things are going in our favor. If he is actually in, Ninten would be an even more shocking reveal than Joker.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I got bored today and figured y'all might enjoy this.

Ninten moveset concept

Neutral b - PK Beam α/β/γ: a projectile that can be charged and stored. It travels in a straight line from Ninten and functions like falco laser, then wolf laser depending on how much it is charged. Once fully charged, it can be thrown in any direction by tapping b and pointing in that direction. The projectile is like a slower version of the Starman assist trophy version of the move, and kills at reasonable percents. Goes through the stage and platforms.

Side b - ShieldOff: Ninten lets out a burst of psychic energy in front of him that deals massive shield damage. Functionally similar to Marcina’a shield breaker, but is bigger with less knockback. Chargeable.

Up b - 4thD slip: a teleport recovery with huge distance. Visually, it is identical to the Starman assist trophy teleport animation. The teleport can be curved and snaps to ledge easily. Invincible at frame 1, but has high landing lag. Puts Ninten in freefall and greatly reduces his aerial drift afterward.

Down b - Power Shield: a counter/reflect in one ala Palutena.

Jab - a rapid jab that involves Ninten rapidly swirling a boomerang in front of him using his PSI. 3 hit combo is just a single boomerang swing.
Tilt attacks are the same as Ness/Lucas, but utilt is a boomerang swing instead of PSI.

Nair - Ninten uses his PSI to quickly whirl a boomerang 360 degrees around him. It’s a single, quick disjointed hit.
Fair - Throws the boomerang a short distance, and it then returns to Ninten. Visually similar to Link's, but significantly shorter range and much faster return time.
Bair - Basically Ike's bair, but with a bat
Uair - Ninten swirls a boomerang above his head for a very long lasting multihit move. Does tons of damage, but can't kill.
Dair - Ninten slashes downward with his bat for a vicious spike.

Fsmash - a metal bat swing that reflects projectiles
Dsmash - uses his PSI to whirl his bat around him quickly, keeping it low to the ground
Usmash - uses his PSI to twirl his bat above his head quickly, like Robin’s usmash.

Up taunt: Ninten does a twirl while floating in the air using his PSI. Can be looped to constantly twirl.
Side taunt: Ninten puffs on an inhaler
Down taunt: an explosive fire effect causes a surprised Ninten to be covered in soot, which he quickly shakes off
I like this moveset. You actually had the same ideas of how some moves from Mother would work, like Powershield being more fit to be a counter like Palutena's (maybe even make it that it only deflects projectiles if it is energy based) and ShieldOff, except I personally imagined it being a third version of Ness and Lucas's PK Flash and PK Freeze, being in between those two moves when it comes to how quick it is in movement and using it.
As for one of the taunts, I was thinking it could be him playing the first melody of the Eight Melodies with his Ocarina, and if you taunt again, it plays the second, then the third and so on.
However, I do think he would use the slingshot as well, being another item exclusive from Mother 1 (correct me if I'm wrong), but this is still a great moveset! c:

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I like this moveset. You actually had the same ideas of how some moves from Mother would work, like Powershield being more fit to be a counter like Palutena's (maybe even make it that it only deflects projectiles if it is energy based) and ShieldOff, except I personally imagined it being a third version of Ness and Lucas's PK Flash and PK Freeze, being in between those two moves when it comes to how quick it is in movement and using it.
As for one of the taunts, I was thinking it could be him playing the first melody of the Eight Melodies with his Ocarina, and if you taunt again, it plays the second, then the third and so on.
However, I do think he would use the slingshot as well, being another item exclusive from Mother 1 (correct me if I'm wrong), but this is still a great moveset! c:
Thanks! There are actually 2 slingshots are in EarthBound. The regular one in... Twoson iirc? and the bionic one in Saturn Valley. I considered a slingshot fair ala villager, but that move is already reused on Isabelle plus the boomerang felt more unique.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Thanks! There are actually 2 slingshots are in EarthBound. The regular one in... Twoson iirc? and the bionic one in Saturn Valley. I considered a slingshot fair ala villager, but that move is already reused on Isabelle plus the boomerang felt more unique.
Yeah, that's what I thought. At least the boomerang is used differently in this moveset, but it would feel like too much to put the same slingshot move on a third character, specially if that character is DLC. Still, I was thinking him using the boomerang to spin around him close to the ground could be his down smash, just so that not all smash attacks are bat swings.
Also, it would be cool that, even though he would be the one with the least PSI based moves, that when he uses it (for things like grabbing/throwing opponents or controlling his weapons) you can see his PSI. It could be something like red and blue squares.
They could even make 4th-D Slip have those PSI effects, so while it looks like the Starman assist trophy's teleportation move, it has Ninten's PSI effects instead.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's what I thought. At least the boomerang is used differently in this moveset, but it would feel like too much to put the same slingshot move on a third character, specially if that character is DLC. Still, I was thinking him using the boomerang to spin around him close to the ground could be his down smash, just so that not all smash attacks are bat swings.
Also, it would be cool that, even though he would be the one with the least PSI based moves, that when he uses it (for things like grabbing/throwing opponents or controlling his weapons) you can see his PSI. It could be something like red and blue squares.
They could even make 4th-D Slip have those PSI effects, so while it looks like the Starman assist trophy's teleportation move, it has Ninten's PSI effects instead.
I like the idea of boomerang dsmash over the bat. The visual for that makes a lot more sense in my head.

Mother 1 was pretty lacking in the animation department, so I left the visuals largely up to interpretation. I like to imagine Ninten's PSI sparkles looking like Ness's did back in Brawl, and they leave a sparkle trail behind the weapons he's whirling around.

Also, did anyone catch the reference in his down taunt? I was kinda proud of myself for thinking of that tbh.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Checked with a friend that knows Japanese,Mother content is indeed coming to that park. Also Zelda,Animal Crossing,Kirby,Metroid,Fire Emblem,Pikmin,F Zero and Starfox. It seems to be like a presentation of Nintendo franchises

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Holy **** Motherland is a thing! (Also Nintendo if you let me drive an F-Zero machine I’m taking all my friends to Japan to do so)

Now I’m shuddering thinking what Fire Emblem meet-n-greets are gonna look like. Probably lots of cleveage.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Giygas horror ride.

Pig Bean ride.

Spider Mech ride.

Ninten, Ness, Lucas, and other character mascots.

Porky show.

Mr. Saturn show.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Holy **** Motherland is a thing! (Also Nintendo if you let me drive an F-Zero machine I’m taking all my friends to Japan to do so)

Now I’m shuddering thinking what Fire Emblem meet-n-greets are gonna look like. Probably lots of cleveage.
Giygas horror ride.

Pig Bean ride.

Spider Mech ride.

Ninten, Ness, Lucas, and other character mascots.

Porky show.

Mr. Saturn show.
DCMC and Runaway Five concerts.
Starstorms

TheBeastHimself

Oh my God!!! I'm so happy that Mother content is coming to Universal! I have an idea for a ride:

Has anyone here ever been to Disneyland? In the California Adventure area of the park, there's a ride called Soarin' where you sit down and get raised in the air in front of a huge screen. The screen then displays various areas of the world while moving your seat around so it feels like you are actually there and flying over whatever you are seeing. Also, in some areas you can actually smell stuff. Like when you're flying over Africa, you can smell the jungles and stuff like that, it's really neat. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I5NMpCzmk

I feel like a Skyrunner version of that ride, where you're flying over the different areas of EarthBound would be a lot of fun. And being able to smell stuff like the Magic Cakes in Summers would just add to the experience like at Disney.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Oh my God!!! I'm so happy that Mother content is coming to Universal! I have an idea for a ride:

Has anyone here ever been to Disneyland? In the California Adventure area of the park, there's a ride called Soarin' where you sit down and get raised in the air in front of a huge screen. The screen then displays various areas of the world while moving your seat around so it feels like you are actually there and flying over whatever you are seeing. Also, in some areas you can actually smell stuff. Like when you're flying over Africa, you can smell the jungles and stuff like that, it's really neat. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I5NMpCzmk

I feel like a Skyrunner version of that ride, where you're flying over the different areas of EarthBound would be a lot of fun. And being able to smell stuff like the Magic Cakes in Summers would just add to the experience like at Disney.
I went to Soaring!! I loved it,unfortunately I was placed in a bottom row and I'm kinda tall so I could see someone's feet above the screen and that kinda ruined the magic but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
An Earthbound-themed restaurant would be something I'd do. Kraken soup,Strawberry Tofu,Lifenoodles,there a lot of things that they could do in a place like that.

TheBeastHimself

I went to Soaring!! I loved it,unfortunately I was placed in a bottom row and I'm kinda tall so I could see someone's feet above the screen and that kinda ruined the magic but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
An Earthbound-themed restaurant would be something I'd do. Kraken soup,Strawberry Tofu,Lifenoodles,there a lot of things that they could do in a place like that.
That's a great idea! There's so many whacky foods from the Mother series as a whole and I think it'd be great to try them out in person.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
A Skyrunner ride would be cool.

I like the music that plays when you're in the Skyrunner.

unfortunately I've never been to Disney's parks nor any other large park like Universal and probably won't be able to anytime soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom