• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I think with the Joker dlc, it is clear that both Sakurai and Nintendo need to approve of the character. I am sure Sakurai would be fine with Ninten, but Nintendo needs a business reason to approve of him. He either needs to be a gaming icon or a shill character. He isn't a gaming icon unfortunately, so he would need to be a shill character. Therefore, I think his inclusion is contingent on whether that we either get a Mother 30th anniversary edition remake trilogy, or EB:B being added to NSO this year. If neither of these happen I can't see Ninten getting in. Fortunately, I think either of these things could definitely happen this year. If that is the case, I think Ninten has great odds. What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

I think with the Joker dlc, it is clear that both Sakurai and Nintendo need to approve of the character. I am sure Sakurai would be fine with Ninten, but Nintendo needs a business reason to approve of him. He either needs to be a gaming icon or a shill character. He isn't a gaming icon unfortunately, so he would need to be a shill character. Therefore, I think his inclusion is contingent on whether that we either get a Mother 30th anniversary edition remake trilogy, or EB:B being added to NSO this year. If neither of these happen I can't see Ninten getting in. Fortunately, I think either of these things could definitely happen this year. If that is the case, I think Ninten has great odds. What do you guys think?
I do think either Mother 3 translated or a remake of the 3 Mother games are happening next year, and Ninten could promote that. Lucas was DLC for Smash 4 with EBB coming to the WiiU virtual console, so Ninten could be DLC with Mother 3 coming to the Switch, or a remake of the 3 Mother games coming to the Switch.

I still wouldn't give up on Ninten even if I didn't think something Mother related next year was likely. As I have been seeing, fan rules get broken. During Brawl - "no third party fighters!" Broken. Smash 4 - "only one fighter per third party company!" Broken. Ultimate - "only one fighter per third party franchise!" Broken. And now it's being pushed to "only one unique fighter per third party franchise!"

Then you have Joker. One popular fanmade rule was that a character had to either be a gaming icon or owned by Nintendo/close to Nintendo. Joker was neither of these, and he is in. Another fanmade rule was that all the DLC characters for Smash 4 were either highly requested, gaming icons, or promotions. Again, these rules were broken by Joker, who is not a gaming icon, not a highly requested Smash character, and not a promotion. Character rules get broken, and any supposedly keeping Ninten out can get broken as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Then you have Joker. One popular fanmade rule was that a character had to either be a gaming icon or owned by Nintendo/close to Nintendo. Joker was neither of these, and he is in. Another fanmade rule was that all the DLC characters for Smash 4 were either highly requested, gaming icons, or promotions. Again, these rules were broken by Joker, who is not a gaming icon, not a highly requested Smash character, and not a promotion. Character rules get broken, and any supposedly keeping Ninten out can get broken as well
Well,Joker might not be a gaming icon,but Persona 5 (and the Persona spin offs in general) are extremely popular both in Japan and in the West. And I'm 90% sure P5 will arrive on Switch,I think that's why he is in. While I'm sure he wasn't requested as much as Geno or other fighters (Ridley and K.Rool for example),he was indeed requested (him or Yu,P4's protag).

But yeah they don't follow any rules,at this point I think everything that has a videogame has a chance to be in

D

Deleted member

Well,Joker might not be a gaming icon,but Persona 5 (and the Persona spin offs in general) are extremely popular both in Japan and in the West. And I'm 90% sure P5 will arrive on Switch,I think that's why he is in. While I'm sure he wasn't requested as much as Geno or other fighters (Ridley and K.Rool for example),he was indeed requested (him or Yu,P4's protag).

But yeah they don't follow any rules,at this point I think everything that has a videogame has a chance to be in
True. Persona 5 was a success in Japan and the west and it is really popular, but still not an icon.

He wasn't a thing during the time of the ballot though. There were some people who wanted him, but I don't think he was added for the sole reason of pleasing the fans.

And yeah, I don't think Smash has any character rules. Really, the only rule is that the character has to originate from video games, which Ninten has :D

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I do think either Mother 3 translated or a remake of the 3 Mother games are happening next year, and Ninten could promote that. Lucas was DLC for Smash 4 with EBB coming to the WiiU virtual console, so Ninten could be DLC with Mother 3 coming to the Switch, or a remake of the 3 Mother games coming to the Switch.

I still wouldn't give up on Ninten even if I didn't think something Mother related next year was likely. As I have been seeing, fan rules get broken. During Brawl - "no third party fighters!" Broken. Smash 4 - "only one fighter per third party company!" Broken. Ultimate - "only one fighter per third party franchise!" Broken. And now it's being pushed to "only one unique fighter per third party franchise!"

Yeah, it is just hard for me to believe Nintendo would approve a character unless they made good business sense. And that is the only situation where I feel Nintendo would see Ninten as a good business decision. Maybe I should just have more faith in Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it is just hard for me to believe Nintendo would approve a character unless they made good business sense. And that is the only situation where I feel Nintendo would see Ninten as a good business decision. Maybe I should just have more faith in Nintendo.
There is actually something I want to show you guys

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach

Reggie talks about picking Joker:
“It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.”

About the DLC: “Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."

Even though Sakurai tweeted that the DLC was decided by Nintendo, and he said that he would decided if he could create a fighter based on their selection (which could mean a couple of different things, two being 1) Nintendo suggested some characters, and Sakurai decided if he could make that character a fighter, or 2) Nintendo made a list of characters and Sakurai chose 5 characters from that list to make into fighters), the way Reggie talks in this article makes it seem that Sakurai chose the characters. The process of deciding the DLC was, imo, like a brainstorming session between Sakurai and Nintendo, and Sakurai suggesting some characters.

Joker especially is the kind of character you wouldn't guess Nintendo would choose. He is the protagonist of a Sony console exclusive game, and they didn't announce Persona 5 for the Switch. Funnily enough, Sakurai is a huge fan of Persona 5. This alone makes it seem like Nintendo either chose characters that Sakurai likes, or Sakurai suggested the DLC characters.

It doesn't sound like the characters are being chosen for how good a business move they are. However, if they were, Ninten would still be good, since he could promote something Mother related coming to the Switch next year.

D

Deleted member

^
This has given me a reason to live.

And yeah I think Ninten has great odds especially with my analysis of datamined content. It's more or less the waiting game till the next reveal at this point.
Speaking of the datamine, people have come to the conclusion that brave is a floaty zoner character. He/she does not play like swordsman but has notable similarities between zoners such as Pacman and Mii Gunner

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Speaking of the datamine, people have come to the conclusion that brave is a floaty zoner character. He/she does not play like swordsman but has notable similarities between zoners such as Pacman and Mii Gunner
1547454743_preview_ba7140099da5195a5dc94cfb60a730ce.jpg

Thanks for lettin me know bud.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Kay so this isn’t the spirit analysis buuuuuut... A certain asthmatic someone popped up on the spirit board last night.

8E101CFA-A83D-4BF7-B8D9-D2B3844911E4.jpeg

So I of course challenged him and sure enough, his spirit battle was a Ness team of four. But, there was something else... Weird about it because of course there is.

474944C8-C8FD-48B9-95C6-62BC857A519F.jpeg

^
Here it shows the Fuel alt Ness implying all four are going to be that alt color.

2038B02E-B0CD-48C3-9176-4E85CC21E2B1.jpeg

They’re all different alt colors. Why? I have absolutely no ****ing idea. It’s like they couldn’t decide which alt to use so they said “eh just use all of em it’ll be fine.”

D

Deleted member

Kay so this isn’t the spirit analysis buuuuuut... A certain asthmatic someone popped up on the spirit board last night.

View attachment 186536

So I of course challenged him and sure enough, his spirit battle was a Ness team of four. But, there was something else... Weird about it because of course there is.

View attachment 186537
^
Here it shows the Fuel alt Ness implying all four are going to be that alt color.

View attachment 186538

They’re all different alt colors. Why? I have absolutely no ****ing idea. It’s like they couldn’t decide which alt to use so they said “eh just use all of em it’ll be fine.”
I don't think they all would have been the same color. Not too suspicious imo.

What is weird is the Fuel alt being used as the alt for the spirit battle instead of Ness's default alt, which looks a lot more like Ninten's spirit design then the fuel alt.

If he is DLC, I expect him to have a redesign or the Japanese Mother 1 commercial design. I don't think his design is going to be the one that looks like Ness

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I don't think they all would have been the same color. Not too suspicious imo.

What is weird is the Fuel alt being used as the alt for the spirit battle instead of Ness's default alt, which looks a lot more like Ninten's spirit design then the fuel alt.

If he is DLC, I expect him to have a redesign or the Japanese Mother 1 commercial design. I don't think his design is going to be the one that looks like Ness
Most teams I’ve fought are all the same alt color, like the Lakitu with Spinies, the Pocket Football team, and the Mechkoopas. That’s why I thought it was weird. Although the better question is why the holy mother of **** is Ninten a team of four Ness’s. Stamina I get. But four Ness’s?

I feel like this was all a last minute decision. I’m not sure if I’ve fought all of the EB spirits quite yet, but of all the ones I’ve fought, this one makes the least amount of sense. And all the other ones especially Loid’s fit their characters to a T so I’m not sure why’d they drop the ball on Ninten’s so badly unless it was just to make sure he wasn’t absent from the game entirely to make people wonder why he isn’t there. It’s like they’re going out of their way to not show him off. He’s not in WOL, Ana and Loid we’re explicitly shown off on the website while he wasn’t, and other spirits added after him like Hinawa not only ARE in WOL, but have a distinct amount of effort put into her battle.

I guess what I’m saying is, of all the EB spirits so far, he’s easily the most rushed and inaccurate despite arguably being one of the most important characters.

D

Deleted member

Most teams I’ve fought are all the same alt color, like the Lakitu with Spinies, the Pocket Football team, and the Mechkoopas. That’s why I thought it was weird. Although the better question is why the holy mother of **** is Ninten a team of four Ness’s. Stamina I get. But four Ness’s?

I feel like this was all a last minute decision. I’m not sure if I’ve fought all of the EB spirits quite yet, but of all the ones I’ve fought, this one makes the least amount of sense. And all the other ones especially Loid’s fit their characters to a T so I’m not sure why’d they drop the ball on Ninten’s so badly unless it was just to make sure he wasn’t absent from the game entirely to make people wonder why he isn’t there. It’s like they’re going out of their way to not show him off. He’s not in WOL, Ana and Loid we’re explicitly shown off on the website while he wasn’t, and other spirits added after him like Hinawa not only ARE in WOL, but have a distinct amount of effort put into her battle.

I guess what I’m saying is, of all the EB spirits so far, he’s easily the most rushed and inaccurate despite arguably being one of the most important characters.
Really? I forgot about that. I guess it is kind of strange.

I'm thinking the 4 Ness' are a reference to 4th-D-Slip. Still, there are better ways to represent Ninten is a spirit battle, like having a battle with one Ness who attacks with only his bat and some punches and kicks, to reference Ninten only attacking physically.

Another thing they could have done was use Lip's Stick and a 1 on 1 HP battle to reference Ninten's asthma.

Another thing they could have done is have Ness use a boomerang, along with attacking with only his bat, some punches and some kicks, along with Lip's Stick in a 1 on 1 HP battle. Imo this would be the best one

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Really? I forgot about that. I guess it is kind of strange.

I'm thinking the 4 Ness' are a reference to 4th-D-Slip. Still, there are better ways to represent Ninten is a spirit battle, like having a battle with one Ness who attacks with only his bat and some punches and kicks, to reference Ninten only attacking physically.

Another thing they could have done was use Lip's Stick and a 1 on 1 HP battle to reference Ninten's asthma.

Another thing they could have done is have Ness use a boomerang, along with attacking with only his bat, some punches and some kicks, along with Lip's Stick in a 1 on 1 HP battle. Imo this would be the best one
I feel like the Dimmension Slip one would work better if it was one Ness at a time and if they were all the same alt to give the illusion that he’s teleporting. Maybe they just needed an excuse to make it WAY harder than it needed to be. I got my *** beat about 5 times before I switched to Luc and barely pulled a victory off.

I will say they got one thing accurate. They were VERY aggressive. They got me cornered and one kept spamming PK Fire. Which is kinda backwards but either way, he’s easily the hardest EB spirit battle.

Yeah they could’ve done much better with his which is why it screams rushed to me. I mean Loid is a Villager with a freaking BOMB OMB Rule and Jeff’s is an Inkling showing that they clearly understand the differences between the characters.
There’s something about Ninten spamming PK Fire that just ain’t right.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like the Dimmension Slip one would work better if it was one Ness at a time and if they were all the same alt to give the illusion that he’s teleporting. Maybe they just needed an excuse to make it WAY harder than it needed to be. I got my *** beat about 5 times before I switched to Luc and barely pulled a victory off.

I will say they got one thing accurate. They were VERY aggressive. They got me cornered and one kept spamming PK Fire. Which is kinda backwards but either way, he’s easily the hardest EB spirit battle.

Yeah they could’ve done much better with his which is why it screams rushed to me. I mean Loid is a Villager with a freaking BOMB OMB Rule and Jeff’s is an Inkling showing that they clearly understand the differences between the characters.
There’s something about Ninten spamming PK Fire that just ain’t right.
If anything I think they should have spammed the bat.

That is weird though

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
https://techraptor.net/content/snes-games-and-emulator-may-be-coming-to-switch-online-service

Looks like we’re getting SNES games on the Switch Online. Oddly enough, EarthBound isn’t on there.

The second best selling Virtual Console game on both the Wii U and 3DS isn’t on the launch list.

Hmmmm......
Have they found any datamined NES games or just the SNES ones? Regardless, the lack of Earthbound bodes well in many ways. This is especially interesting because Earthbound made it onto the SNES classic. Earthbound trilogy collection anyone?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://techraptor.net/content/snes-games-and-emulator-may-be-coming-to-switch-online-service

Looks like we’re getting SNES games on the Switch Online. Oddly enough, EarthBound isn’t on there.

The second best selling Virtual Console game on both the Wii U and 3DS isn’t on the launch list.

Hmmmm......
Have they found any datamined NES games or just the SNES ones? Regardless, the lack of Earthbound bodes well in many ways. This is especially interesting because Earthbound made it onto the SNES classic. Earthbound trilogy collection anyone?
OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD MY GOD MY GOD

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Not that I'm aware of. Just SNES games here. They did discover the possibily of two more consoles coming to the Switch online as well though. Not sure which consoles though as it seems that Nintendo has them hidden behind codenames. Though if you're wondering if Mother 1 is on track to be coming to the NES Game list I haven't seen or heard any news about it. That's also a complete ghost, which is also quite interesting.

D

Deleted member

Not that I'm aware of. Just SNES games here. They did discover the possibily of two more consoles coming to the Switch online as well though. Not sure which consoles though as it seems that Nintendo has them hidden behind codenames. Though if you're wondering if Mother 1 is on track to be coming to the NES Game list I haven't seen or heard any news about it. That's also a complete ghost, which is also quite interesting.
Maybe instead of Mother 3 for Switch, we get a remake of the 3 Mother games next year along with Ninten for Smash.

I am so excited

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I mean EB and EBB were both very successful on the eshop, and they weren't afraid to put EB on the snes mini. What reason would they exclude these game from online unless they were trying to monetize it in some other way. They know it is popular and it doesn't seem like they are trying to shun the series anymore. A trilogy collection is the only explanation that makes sense to me.

D

Deleted member

I mean EB and EBB were both very successful on the eshop, and they weren't afraid to put EB on the snes mini. What reason would they exclude these game from online unless they were trying to monetize it in some other way. They know it is popular and it doesn't seem like they are trying to shun the series anymore. A trilogy collection is the only explanation that makes sense to me.
Same. I was sad EBB wasn't on the NES online yet, but maybe there is something bigger waiting :D

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
They are going to make a collection or they are going to put the 3 games into their respective Online emulator at the same time,if I recall correctly they also found files for another two emulators or so,but they were only codenames,maybe one of them is GBA.

D

Deleted member

They are going to make a collection or they are going to put the 3 games into their respective Online emulator at the same time,if I recall correctly they also found files for another two emulators or so,but they were only codenames,maybe one of them is GBA.
If this is true, then Mother 3 will be localized, and I think that would have to come with a Mother rep for Smash.

I can't wait for July

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
Guys, I believe Mother 2 will eventually be released on SNES Online Switch thing. I mean, they are just starting to put SNES games on there. Not that I've used Online.

D

Deleted member

Guys, I believe Mother 2 will eventually be released on SNES Online Switch thing. I mean, they are just starting to put SNES games on there. Not that I've used Online.
Either, like Mad Duck Mad Duck said, the 3 of them going on their respective online consoles, or Nintendo is saving up for something.

Keep in mind that EB is the second best-selling Virtual Console game on both the WiiU and 3DS. It's odd that it isn't on there yet

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Nintendo knows these games sell like hotcakes. Putting them in a collection and selling them separately would net them more cash than just putting them on the Switch Online which would just end up being free to a decent part of their market.

I think the collection is happening and it's gonna get announced in March/April alongside a certain asthmatic psychic for Smash.

You can can call me Pollyanna say I'm crazy as a loon, but I believe in silver linings and that's why I believe in you~~~

D

Deleted member

Nintendo knows these games sell like hotcakes. Putting them in a collection and selling them separately would net them more cash than just putting them on the Switch Online which would just end up being free to a decent part of their market.

I think the collection is happening and it's gonna get announced in March/April alongside a certain asthmatic psychic for Smash.

You can can call me Pollyanna say I'm crazy as a loon, but I believe in silver linings and that's why I believe in you~~~
I think it's happening too.

This is the most excited I have been in the speculation of Ninten and Mother games, along with me believing that we are going to get the 8 melodies as its own track, and it would only make sense to come with Ninten

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman

It is all or nothing at this point, and I have a really good feeling about this guys.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm starting to get higher hopes of something happening this year. I still sorta think it's unlikely that they would go out of their way to remake all 3 games in HD, but I believe a localized Mother 3 and new Smash rep is possible and I think it would be a great idea. The sales of EBB and EB on the Wii U VC reflects how positively Mother content is received, and I feel like EB's inclusion on the SNES classic only further reflects that. Besides EBB getting released in 2015, nothing too eventful has happened for the series since 2006, but I believe 2019 may finally be the year where we get a plethora of Mother content. There's still a possibility that nothing at all will happen which is why I'm not outright believing this will all definitely happen, but the hope is there nonetheless.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Call me a lunatic but I think the datamined character is Ninten, and my friend thinks the same.

Weight is just density, meaning how hard they are to launch. NOT how much the character weighs. Mewtwo is a heavy Pokemon in the games, but in Smash he’s one of the lightest characters in the game. So it not being accurate to the characters actual weight is pretty moot.

I mean, the height of Ness, can’t wall jump, super floaty, slides a bit, doesn’t have a rapid jab... All those could fit Ninten easily, as the other EB characters share those traits.

Combine that with all the ingame oddities, Mystery character no. 70, and the subtle hinting from WOL and the Mother 3 team...

I think it’s him. I really do. Could I be wrong? Yes. But there’s a point where things stop being coincidences and I think we’ve hit that point. I’m not caving to “leaks” and popular opinion this time. I’m going with my gut.

Top Bottom