• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I don't know me personally, I can't imagine the Mother series in 3D. If it were to happen, I'd just have to get used to it like I did with Pokemon. But I feel like this could work extremely well for the original Mother, because that game has some of the most generic level designs and characters (besides a few occasional goofy NPCs). Yeah, the three things that would make me never ask for anything again:
  1. Mother 3 International Release
  2. EarthBound Beginnings 3D overhaul
  3. Porky/Ninten in Smash

D

Deleted member

For me to never ask anything again:

- Geno in Smash
- Ninten in Smash
- Remake of the 3 Mother games
- Remake of Super Mario RPG

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I don't know me personally, I can't imagine the Mother series in 3D. If it were to happen, I'd just have to get used to it like I did with Pokemon. But I feel like this could work extremely well for the original Mother, because that game has some of the most generic level designs and characters (besides a few occasional goofy NPCs). Yeah, the three things that would make me never ask for anything again:
  1. Mother 3 International Release
  2. EarthBound Beginnings 3D overhaul
  3. Porky/Ninten in Smash
I feel like I'm the only Mother fan on earth that'd actually prefer Mother 1 remade than Mother 3 being localized. Of course I want both but I want the former a bit more.

Okay guys... We have a major break here. I think I found the missing piece to the Ninten puzzle. It's this article right here.

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/...saawI0s85D_K70a0iGqw6T3zwL0V7TAIir4XS_oPNw7gU

So this implies that the DLC characters were chosen and finalized over a year ago. This means that these five were planned before hand. My theory is that some got cut due to time constraints but that's not really important even if true.

Now where this comes into the Ninten theory is Vergeben's Mother 3 leak. He leaked near the end of 2017, so by this time the DLC characters should be locked in. Verge said the reason why Mother 3 was being held back was because they didn't know what month to release it in. It's gotta be a DLC character, because in reality, the month this game comes out shouldn't require OVER A YEAR of thinking over.

And since this means that the characters were planned in advance this could explain: The new Mother victory theme, Ninten's odd spirit placement, and him being a player icon while Loid and Ana aren't.

Now that I think about it... Loid and Ana were shown on the site to the public but Ninten was nowhere to be found despite being more important.

TL;DR I'm 95% sure our new Mother rep is gonna be our boy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like I'm the only Mother fan on earth that'd actually prefer Mother 1 remade than Mother 3 being localized. Of course I want both but I want the former a bit more.

Okay guys... We have a major break here. I think I found the missing piece to the Ninten puzzle. It's this article right here.

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/...saawI0s85D_K70a0iGqw6T3zwL0V7TAIir4XS_oPNw7gU

So this implies that the DLC characters were chosen and finalized over a year ago. This means that these five were planned before hand. My theory is that some got cut due to time constraints but that's not really important even if true.

Now where this comes into the Ninten theory is Vergeben's Mother 3 leak. He leaked near the end of 2017, so by this time the DLC characters should be locked in. Verge said the reason why Mother 3 was being held back was because they didn't know what month to release it in. It's gotta be a DLC character, because in reality, the month this game comes out shouldn't require OVER A YEAR of thinking over.

And since this means that the characters were planned in advance this could explain: The new Mother victory theme, Ninten's odd spirit placement, and him being a player icon while Loid and Ana aren't.

Now that I think about it... Loid and Ana were shown on the site to the public but Ninten was nowhere to be found despite being more important.

TL;DR I'm 95% sure our new Mother rep is gonna be our boy.
I can't control myself right now. I'M SCREAMING. I hope he comes :)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I can't control myself right now. I'M SCREAMING. I hope he comes :)
Tell me about it. I had this epihany in class and was internallly screaming for about an hour.

Now again I'm not 100% sure we're gonna get a Mother rep, (I'm no insider, I just have a lot of free time) but if we are? With all the Mother 1 references and evidence in Smash I'd be shocked if it wasn't best boi™.

D

Deleted member

Tell me about it. I had this epihany in class and was internallly screaming for about an hour.

Now again I'm not 100% sure we're gonna get a Mother rep, (I'm no insider, I just have a lot of free time) but if we are? With all the Mother 1 references and evidence in Smash I'd be shocked if it wasn't best boi™.

We kinda have to get a new Mother rep, and it kinda has to be Ninten. Next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series. He is the missing protagonist and was considered for Brawl. We already have so much new Mother content, I think a new rep has to at least be considered. Itoi might have wanted to push for one, and it being the missing protagonist, Ninten. All the content is approved by him. It's Ninten's time to return

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
We kinda have to get a new Mother rep, and it kinda has to be Ninten. Next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series. He is the missing protagonist and was considered for Brawl. We already have so much new Mother content, I think a new rep has to at least be considered. Itoi might have wanted to push for one, and it being the missing protagonist, Ninten. All the content is approved by him. It's Ninten's time to return
Honestly, with the odd spirit placement, my theory is that his spirit is in just to make sure he's represented in the game with or without DLC, similar to Geno. (I've obiously kept up on what's going on in that thread) It'd be weird to have so much new Mother content then go "Oh crap, I forgot the main protagonist!" and shove him on the end.

Itoi probably did push for a new character. Itoi wasn't quite exposed to how large the Mother fanbase was until after Smash 4 was already far in development, and now that he has? Just look at the massive shift in content from Smash 4 to SSBU aimed to a franchise that hasn't had a new entry in over a decade. That's pretty bloody magical mates.

I just wish Porky fans would calm down a little. I'm sorry mates but your spirit theory just doesn't add up compared to all this... this...
I have no idea what to call my evidence. Welp.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
The Anigriffin The Anigriffin

Wait a sec. Sakurai says creating a character takes a year, yes. Keep in mind that this article came out before Smash 4 got released so he was talking about creating characters in the main development process.

As for DLC, there's not much more to do for the team but creating characters and releasing balancing patches. Sure, the team got shrinked down a bit probably. But it's fairly obvious that a DLC character won't need so much time because they have more resources to create him.

I have to admit, you made many good points as of why Ninten's chances are not as bad as I thought they would of been, but I hope noone here is really expecting him. Keep your hopes up high though :)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
The Anigriffin The Anigriffin

Wait a sec. Sakurai says creating a character takes a year, yes. Keep in mind that this article came out before Smash 4 got released so he was talking about creating characters in the main development process.

As for DLC, there's not much more to do for the team but creating characters and releasing balancing patches. Sure, the team got shrinked down a bit probably. But it's fairly obvious that a DLC character won't need so much time because they have more resources to create him.

I have to admit, you made many good points as of why Ninten's chances are not as bad as I thought they would of been, but I hope noone here is really expecting him. Keep your hopes up high though :)
Keep in mind, Stages are also being made, so that could probably eat up a lot of development time as well. There's too many pieces of evidence that fit that it can't just be ignored.

Not only that, but Ultimate was built from the ground up on a new system.

But yeah. I don't expect him 100%. As for another Mother rep though? I'd be surprised if it isn't him if we get one.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind, Stages are also being made, so that could probably eat up a lot of development time as well. There's too many pieces of evidence that fit that it can't just be ignored.

Not only that, but Ultimate was built from the ground up on a new system.

But yeah. I don't expect him 100%. As for another Mother rep though? I'd be surprised if it isn't him if we get one.
Sure, they have to create stages and accomplish the legal stuff with Itoi or 3rd Parties. All we can do is making presumptions because we don't really know how DLC development is structured.

Would surprise me too. Porky is the only other one I could see but it wouldn't feel right to me. Having all 3 protagonists should be priority.

However, I like the idea of Porky being playable. Such a greatly designed antagonist darn.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Sure, they have to create stages and accomplish the legal stuff with Itoi or 3rd Parties. All we can do is making presumptions because we don't really know how DLC development is structured.

Would surprise me too. Porky is the only other one I could see but it wouldn't feel right to me. Having all 3 protagonists should be priority.

However, I like the idea of Porky being playable. Such a greatly designed antagonist darn.
Guess we'll get more info when the first character drops, which is hopefully Thursday. :Crosses fingers for Geno:

Personally I'd kill for Claus as he's technically my most wanted, but I know the odds are super against him.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, with the odd spirit placement, my theory is that his spirit is in just to make sure he's represented in the game with or without DLC, similar to Geno. (I've obiously kept up on what's going on in that thread) It'd be weird to have so much new Mother content then go "Oh crap, I forgot the main protagonist!" and shove him on the end.

Itoi probably did push for a new character. Itoi wasn't quite exposed to how large the Mother fanbase was until after Smash 4 was already far in development, and now that he has? Just look at the massive shift in content from Smash 4 to SSBU aimed to a franchise that hasn't had a new entry in over a decade. That's pretty bloody magical mates.

I just wish Porky fans would calm down a little. I'm sorry mates but your spirit theory just doesn't add up compared to all this... this...
I have no idea what to call my evidence. Welp.
I know! So much more Mother content, and a lot more in Ultimate than in Smash 4. I think he was exposed to the Mother fanbase after Smash 4 was in development, like you said. But yeah, I admit at first I thought Porky was really likely lol, but after the spirits of Pit and Pikachu and my view of spirits changing, I don't think Porky has increased or decreased chances. I am really happy with your powerpoint, and I am confident in Ninten's chances :)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I know! So much more Mother content, and a lot more in Ultimate than in Smash 4. I think he was exposed to the Mother fanbase after Smash 4 was in development, like you said. But yeah, I admit at first I thought Porky was really likely lol, but after the spirits of Pit and Pikachu and my view of spirits changing, I don't think Porky has increased or decreased chances. I am really happy with your powerpoint, and I am confident in Ninten's chances :)
I'll be sure to update here if anything comes up. :)

D

Deleted member

Guess we'll get more info when the first character drops, which is hopefully Thursday. :Crosses fingers for Geno:

Personally I'd kill for Claus as he's technically my most wanted, but I know the odds are super against him.
Same! I really hope Geno is revealed soon :)

I'll be sure to update here if anything comes up. :)
Thank you :) I always look forward to more good news

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Ness has circular PSI particle affects, and Lucas has hexagonal particle affects. I wonder what Ninten's would be... a square? No, diamonds would be pretty cool.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ness has circular PSI particle affects, and Lucas has hexagonal particle affects. I wonder what Ninten's would be... a square? No, diamonds would be pretty cool.
It's usually based on what their PSI actually looks like in the games.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Not an update, but it's something I made a while back.

I always noticed the Ninten icon here while not bad, looks a bit too much like Ness. So I took a crack at making one.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

I always noticed the Ninten icon here while not bad, looks a bit too much like Ness. So I took a crack at making one.

Thoughts?
Why does this look beautiful

D

Deleted member

Thoughts?
And this is another way they can differentiate Ninten and Ness

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah. I forgot I put those in the first one.

I'll still see if I can find em. :)
:) Oh yeah, there was something else I wanted to bring up. We know LoZ, Kirby, and Mother all have their stages returning, and they didn't get any unique or echo fighter in the base roster, so maybe each of those franchises will get a new rep as DLC? And based on the online icons, Tingle, Bandana Dee, and Ninten? After going through your powerpoint, I do think that if we get another Mother rep, it will be Ninten, especially since he would be the only new Mother character that was considered for a past Smash game. I don't believe Porky ever was, which is good, since he is probably Ninten's biggest competition for a new rep. I think Ninten will prevail though

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
:) Oh yeah, there was something else I wanted to bring up. We know LoZ, Kirby, and Mother all have their stages returning, and they didn't get any unique or echo fighter in the base roster, so maybe each of those franchises will get a new rep as DLC? And based on the online icons, Tingle, Bandana Dee, and Ninten? After going through your powerpoint, I do think that if we get another Mother rep, it will be Ninten, especially since he would be the only new Mother character that was considered for a past Smash game. I don't believe Porky ever was, which is good, since he is probably Ninten's biggest competition for a new rep. I think Ninten will prevail though
I don't think Ninten being considered in Smash was true, apparently the source came from EarthBound wikia, which has the text left unsourced.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I don't think Ninten being considered in Smash was true, apparently the source came from EarthBound wikia, which has the text left unsourced.
Yeah, I'd personally check the powerpoint. There's a lot of oddities in Brawl that hint towards him being a consideration at the very least.

Kinda funny you mention LoZ, because an aquaintance of mine made a theory surrounding the possibility of Fi from Skyward Sword possibly being DLC. Oddly enough, she has an online icon too, so I don't think he was too crazy for thinking that.

Yeah, after speaking with a friend of mine who also obsessively digs for info pertaining to Smash, I really do think Ninten is gonna be the Mother rep if we get one. He does as well, which is interesting considering he's never touched a Mother game in his life. Too many oddities surrounding him and not quite enough surrounding Porky, Claus, or Kumatora/Paula. There really isn't much more for me to do right now but wait until more info surrounding DLC characters surfaces unfortunately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'd personally check the powerpoint. There's a lot of oddities in Brawl that hint towards him being a consideration at the very least.

Kinda funny you mention LoZ, because an aquaintance of mine made a theory surrounding the possibility of Fi from Skyward Sword possibly being DLC. Oddly enough, she has an online icon too, so I don't think he was too crazy for thinking that.

Yeah, after speaking with a friend of mine who also obsessively digs for info pertaining to Smash, I really do think Ninten is gonna be the Mother rep if we get one. He does as well, which is interesting considering he's never touched a Mother game in his life. Too many oddities surrounding him and not quite enough surrounding Porky, Claus, or Kumatora/Paula. There really isn't much more for me to do right now but wait until more info surrounding DLC characters surfaces unfortunately.
Yeah, the wait for DLC is going to be painful. If Geno is revealed first, that will end SO much speculation. I will still be participating in the speculation season for Ninten though :) Anyways, what are everyone's picks for the DLC characters?

Mine are:

Geno
Ninten
Banjo-Kazooie/Bandana Dee
Rayman/Louie/Shantae
Tails/Crono/Lloyd Irving/Tingle

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah, the wait for DLC is going to be painful. If Geno is revealed first, that will end SO much speculation. I will still be participating in the speculation season for Ninten though :)
If it's any consolation, the same friend that thinks Ninten is probably in also thinks Geno is in. And I'm right behind you there bud. To think the original reason I got so invested in this was due to that bogus riddle leak that mentioned "Prime Ribs."

Mine are:

Geno
Ninten
Banjo-Kazooie/Bandana Dee
Rayman/Louie/Shantae
Tails/Crono/Lloyd Irving/Tingle

Geno
Ninten
Lloyd Irving
Bandana Waddle Dee/Louie
Banjo

Who I want though?

Ninten
Geno
Klonoa
Decidueye
Claus

But I know three of those will probably never happen heh...

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Any possible issue with this for Ninten?
I think there's a problem with the stage Pre-Fix for Magicant
Screenshot 2018-11-25 at 1.11.11 PM.png

It says "EarthBound", not "EarthBound Beginnings" but the Japanese version simply says "Mother" and the 2nd game in the series in the JP version says "Mother 2". I still haven't found any evidence that proves that Mother is renamed to EarthBound Beginnings yet in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Anigriffin The Anigriffin Nice picks :) (I forgot to quote you) You know, that riddle leak is fake, but it did say Geno and Ninten would be DLC rather than the base roster....maybe it could get some things correct...

Something funny, even though I want Geno more than Ninten, Ninten's reveal would actually be more important to me. Geno is a character who I want to be in so bad, and I would be more upset if he didn't get in than if Ninten didn't get in, but Ninten's reveal would actually hit me with a lot of nostalgia. What about you all?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I think there's a problem with the stage Pre-Fix for Magicant
View attachment 181492
It says "EarthBound", not "EarthBound Beginnings" but the Japanese version simply says "Mother" and the 2nd game in the series in the JP version says "Mother 2". I still haven't found any evidence that proves that Mother is renamed to EarthBound Beginnings yet in Smash.
I remember that New Pork City in Brawl also had EarthBound as it's logo. Perhaps they're keeping it to make it less confusing?

That is weird though that the Japanese version uses different logos.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I remember that New Pork City in Brawl also had EarthBound as it's logo. Perhaps they're keeping it to make it less confusing?
In Ultimate, the Stage-Prefix for New Pork City is renamed to Mother 3 actually, don't know why they didn't use EBB name for Magicant stage since its based off the first game.
DfrhfMxU0AAji8Z.jpg

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
In Ultimate, the Stage-Prefix for New Pork City is renamed to Mother 3 actually, don't know why they didn't use EBB name for Magicant stage since its based off the first game.
View attachment 181494
That.... Okay yeah that's weird... Not really sure what to make of that but I'll keep that in mind.

The Anigriffin The Anigriffin Nice picks :) (I forgot to quote you) You know, that riddle leak is fake, but it did say Geno and Ninten would be DLC rather than the base roster....maybe it could get some things correct...

Something funny, even though I want Geno more than Ninten, Ninten's reveal would actually be more important to me. Geno is a character who I want to be in so bad, and I would be more upset if he didn't get in than if Ninten didn't get in, but Ninten's reveal would actually hit me with a lot of nostalgia. What about you all?
Oof. Geno being in would certainly bring me back to my freshman year in Highschool. I picked up the game at a sketchy game store. (That smelled of an illicit substance may I add) I was originally just gonna get Chrono Trigger, but I saw SMRPG and remembered the curiosity of Geno I had while searching through old Brawl threads and got that game too.

Later that year I went as Geno for Halloween.

Ninten however? He brings me back to when I was 12 learning about what EarthBound was for the first time. I remember the first EB related thing I saw online were a long series of sprite videos and they included Ninten who I had no idea was even a real thing until then. I got his sticker in Brawl but back when i first got it I thought it was just an old timey Ness god I feel dumb. I'm in my early 20's now, and honestly, seeing him finally get the attention and recognition he deserves would honestly probably make me break down and cry heh...

Top Bottom