• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Ed Mendoza posted these awesome drawings of Ninten and Giygas about 2 months ago on his twitter.
I really love the design of these two, and what do you guys think of Giygas as an echo fighter of Mewtwo?

Link here
This is probably my favorite render of Ninten so far.

Df1CjtTUwAA_hNl.jpg
Df1Ck_2VQAEinbL.jpg

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
Ed Mendoza posted these awesome drawings of Ninten and Giygas about 2 months ago on his twitter.
I really love the design of these two, and what do you guys think of Giygas as an echo fighter of Mewtwo?

Link here
This is probably my favorite render of Ninten so far.

View attachment 159450View attachment 159455
Whoa, can you imagine Giygas’s Final Smash being turning off the Devil Machine & attacking fighters in his EarthBound form? That would be amazing

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Whoa, can you imagine Giygas’s Final Smash being turning off the Devil Machine & attacking fighters in his EarthBound form? That would be amazing
Oh man, imagine the people who have never played the games and saw that for the first time. The text would come out and say "You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack." That would be both amazing and scary to see in hd!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh man, imagine the people who have never played the games and saw that for the first time. The text would come out and say "You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack." That would be both amazing and scary to see in hd!
The background would become Giygas' haunting face, the music of the stage would suddenly shift to one of Giygas' battle themes (or Porky Means Business please), the screen would tint pink, and that shockwave-like effect would shoot out at the fighters.

Giygas doesn't really have anything similar to Mewtwo's powers, so an Echo wouldn't suit him very well, but if we get a Mother boss, we've gotta have a return of the Porky boss from Brawl fighting alongside Giygas. It'll be just as memorably frightening for Smash fans as it was for Mother fans.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
The background would become Giygas' haunting face, the music of the stage would suddenly shift to one of Giygas' battle themes (or Porky Means Business please), the screen would tint pink, and that shockwave-like effect would shoot out at the fighters.

Giygas doesn't really have anything similar to Mewtwo's powers, so an Echo wouldn't suit him very well, but if we get a Mother boss, we've gotta have a return of the Porky boss from Brawl fighting alongside Giygas. It'll be just as memorably frightening for Smash fans as it was for Mother fans.
I agree Giygas and Mewtwo are both different, and he is better suited for a boss like Porky, but hey, it's fun to speculate about these things (I would pay to see Giygas and Mewtwo in a stand-off tho). Speaking of bosses, maybe Giygas boss stage can be on Mt. Itoi and you would have to traverse into caves before fighting him.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I said it in another thread, but I think Ninten's chances are actually improved by Paula and Kumatora being passed over as echoes, since they would seem to be the most obvious choices. Or maybe it's pointing to Claus instead. But either way, I think chances for a Ness/Lucas echo are actually pretty good

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I agree Giygas and Mewtwo are both different, and he is better suited for a boss like Porky, but hey, it's fun to speculate about these things (I would pay to see Giygas and Mewtwo in a stand-off tho). Speaking of bosses, maybe Giygas boss stage can be on Mt. Itoi and you would have to traverse into caves before fighting him.
If this Spirits Mode is like a combination of Brawl's boss battle mode and Smash Run where you'd have a stage leading up to a battle, then having any of the series' final levels (Mt. Itoi/Cave of the Past & Devil's Machine/Empire Porky Building underground) would fit all too well.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
If this Spirits Mode is like a combination of Brawl's boss battle mode and Smash Run where you'd have a stage leading up to a battle, then having any of the series' final levels (Mt. Itoi/Cave of the Past & Devil's Machine/Empire Porky Building underground) would fit all too well.
Honestly, I really hope Spirits mode is something like that. Maybe a little story that goes along with it, but I'm hoping it's not as long and grand like brawl was. Maybe something more like Adventure mode, and you can take different paths through many different worlds based on a game series; you can go from being in the Mushroom Kingdom to Eagleland by taking certain paths.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Honestly, I really hope Spirits mode is something like that. Maybe a little story that goes along with it, but I'm hoping it's not as long and grand like brawl was. Maybe something more like Adventure mode, and you can take different paths through many different worlds based on a game series; you can go from being in the Mushroom Kingdom to Eagleland by taking certain paths.
I hope they haven't ditched the idea of branching paths in single player. They went for a personalized version of Brawl's Classic Mode instead of 3DS' pathways, and I'm hoping that's because Spirits is a Melee Adventure-Brawl boss battle hybrid with the option to create your own route of different maps to play.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I hope they haven't ditched the idea of branching paths in single player. They went for a personalized version of Brawl's Classic Mode instead of 3DS' pathways, and I'm hoping that's because Spirits is a Melee Adventure-Brawl boss battle hybrid with the option to create your own route of different maps to play.
That's pretty unique, I think that would increased replay value. Maybe certain routes can lead you to a boss, where you can unlock a character after words. You can gain trophies, songs, and coins on the way too.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I saw this extremely cool Ninten redesign on Reddit but for the life of me I can't find it. He had his inhaler? Does anyone know what i'm referring to?

FoodPoisoning

Smash Rookie
-Ness's general moveset;
-Lucas's Up and Down Smash, NAir and his PK Fire as his Neutral Special;
-Villager's FAir and BAir;
-Toon Link's Boomerang for his Forward Special;
-Zelda's Farore's Wind(with a different animation and different particle effects) for his Up Special as 4D Slip;
-Fox's Reflector(with different particle effects) for his Down Special as Power Shield;
-Mii Gunner's Final Smash as PK Beam, with the signature EarthBound particle effects.

Chrom is the only example of an Echo with moves that come from more than one character, so i'm not sure if it would be possible, but i would love to see it happening.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
add me to the supporters! man, id love to see all 3 main heroes this time around. also, it'd be incredibly ironic to see the first main character of a series becoming an echo of the later characters. but oh well. lol

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
-Ness's general moveset;
-Zelda's Farore's Wind(with a different animation and different particle effects) for his Up Special as 4D Slip;
-Fox's Reflector(with different particle effects) for his Down Special as Power Shield;
-Mii Gunner's Final Smash as PK Beam, with the signature EarthBound particle effects.

Chrom is the only example of an Echo with moves that come from more than one character, so i'm not sure if it would be possible, but i would love to see it happening.
I'd prefer a new Unique-ish Final Smash where Ninten call's up his friends to perform the Eight Melodies. I think it's only fair that his supporting cast helps; if Ness and Lucas's are now involved in their Final Smashes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I support, I love using Ness and Lucas and would love to play as Ninten if he made it in.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
-Ness's general moveset;

It's a pretty unique idea, but I feel like that would be a lot different moveset for a Echo.
Echos as far as we know borrows movesets from one character. (sometimes two for Chrom)

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I love Lucas and Ness and therefore I also support Ninten's inclusion in Ultimate. Would be cool if he ended up being some kind of frankenstein, borrowing moves from both Ness and Lucas. We need to have the Mother protagonists complete :p

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Or Possibly Spirits Mode = Melee Adventure Mode + Brawl Story Mode + Smash Run 3DS
Though I'd HONESTLY be satisfied with either:
A. Spirits Mode = Melee's Adventure Mode
B. Spirits Mode = Melee's Adventure Mode + 3DS Smash Run

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I said it in another thread, but I think Ninten's chances are actually improved by Paula and Kumatora being passed over as echoes, since they would seem to be the most obvious choices. Or maybe it's pointing to Claus instead. But either way, I think chances for a Ness/Lucas echo are actually pretty good
I'd be a Fan of Ninten, complete with Anna & Lloyd in his Final Smash, Probably PK Beam Y(Since PK Starstorm didn't even exist in Earthbound Beginnings), or possibly even Masked Man(Complete with his Plasma Sword)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'd be a Fan of Ninten, complete with Anna & Lloyd in his Final Smash, Probably PK Beam Y(Since PK Starstorm didn't even exist in Earthbound Beginnings), or possibly even Masked Man(Complete with his Plasma Sword)
Masked Man has a ton of unique attacks and he's confirmed to still be an alt for Lucas. Ninten is a far more likelier choice for an Echo.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Masked Man has a ton of unique attacks and he's confirmed to still be an alt for Lucas. Ninten is a far more likelier choice for an Echo.
Though in Masked Man's Defense; He's not an Alt, the Only appear he makes in on Lucas' Shirt, as Lucas in that Alt has GREY Hair, UNLIKE the Masked Claus!!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Though in Masked Man's Defense; He's not an Alt, the Only appear he makes in on Lucas' Shirt, as Lucas in that Alt has GREY Hair, UNLIKE the Masked Claus!!
Although, Lucas has had an alt based on Claus for the last 2 games. We haven't seen it yet because Lucas is not a part of the demo roster.

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Ninten being Ness' echo is a no-brainer. Make a mix between Ness and Lucas, and you're gold! With Mother being onlye a trilogy, would be awesome to get all the games represented with a playable character.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Earthbound series is absolutely unmatched in other series. It is truly unique in its style, primarily due to the playful writing and characterization.

That is why I hope it gets no more playable characters. I don't want it getting the resentment that Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus receive. Both of those can be considered great games that get far more than they need to make the series feel present in Smash. I fear adding another Earthbound character, primarily one with little-to-know discernible differences from Ness, would cause more harm than good for the Earthbound legacy, considering it is just that- an ended series with only its (incredible) legacy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Earthbound series is absolutely unmatched in other series. It is truly unique in its style, primarily due to the playful writing and characterization.

That is why I hope it gets no more playable characters. I don't want it getting the resentment that Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus receive. Both of those can be considered great games that get far more than they need to make the series feel present in Smash. I fear adding another Earthbound character, primarily one with little-to-know discernible differences from Ness, would cause more harm than good for the Earthbound legacy, considering it is just that- an ended series with only its (incredible) legacy.
You present some good points, and I definitely would not like to see EarthBound’s reputation tarnished like Fire Emblem’s was. However, I think most people know how much EB fans have suffered over the years and that has made people more sympathetic towards the series and its Smash representation (you’ll see something similar towards F-Zero).

Plus the fact that EarthBound content has really been well received (or at least from what I’ve seen, people really seem to love the maps), and character representation has been gradual (only Ness in 64, Lucas planned to replace Ness in Melee, Lucas added in Brawl and cut in 4), I don’t think many would complain about one more character, especially if it is an Echo.

Mind you, I am extremely satisfied and grateful about what we’ve had so far and wouldn’t mind if it ended there, but I can’t see there being backlash.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I feel like since Earthbound doesn't have much potential characters left; we might as well just round off the representation with Porky and Ninten, since unlike Fire Emblem; it's not like we're likely going to see Mother ever again.

FoodPoisoning

Smash Rookie
So now that we know Semi-clones can be added in Ultimate, what do you guys think of Ninten's chances? I made a moveset for him that borrows moves from many different characters now there's an actual chance of something like that happening:

-Ness's general moveset;
-Lucas's Up and Down Smash, NAir and PK Fire's animation, but with the projectile dazing(same effect in Mewtwo's Disable) the opponent instead of damaging them, and called PK Hypnosis, for his Neutral Special;
-Toon Link's Boomerang as his Forward Special;
-Zelda's Farore's Wind(with a different animation and visuals) as 4D-Slip;
-Fox's Reflector(with different visuals) as PSI Power Shield;

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Ninten would be so perfect as an echo. I don't know if he'll make it into the base roster (probably not), but he as a dlc echo he would be awesome. Making him an echo wouldn't be too hard of a task like making an original fighter and he'll please a lot of people for finally completing the trilogy.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ninten would be so perfect as an echo. I don't know if he'll make it into the base roster (probably not), but he as a dlc echo he would be awesome. Making him an echo wouldn't be too hard of a task like making an original fighter and he'll please a lot of people for finally completing the trilogy.
Yeah. He's an easy echo of Ness.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
DLC could be likely if he doesn't make it in the base roster.

I did post this on the Isaac forum, but does it seem kinda strange that there are 4 Mother stages while there are only 2 Mother reps?
I know that they're just returning stages but it seems like a lot for only 2 characters. I could be over-analyzing but maybe there is a possibly.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
You know, I really want Ninten as a fighter now that I think about it. Having him, Ness, and Lucas would be perfect to represent a series that will never get a game again.

Nintendo could either make him unique or an echo, but I feel as though both could work. Ninten is different enough from Ness and Lucas, but at the same time he can be similar. I wonder if Sakurai ever thought about Ninten...

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
A couple of weeks back I was thinking about how they could design Ninten for Smash to make him visually distinct from Ness while still being classic Ninten.
That weekend, I quickly put together a painting as a concept - this is what I got:
I apologise for the shoddy workmanship (it should go without saying that I'm not an artist), I hope that it conveys the main points of how I envisioned him regardless and I'm curious to know what people think of the design as a basic concept. Obviously I mainly drew inspiration from Ninten's sprite here, rather than his clay model, and I tried to make him look a lot "sharper" than Ness, who is by comparison a very "soft" character with rounded features, gentle colours and such.

I know I've said it before, but I'd really love to see what Nintendo's artists would do with the character for Smash Ultimate.

As for moveset potential - if we're not going the Echo route, I could see a Wolf-approach to Ninten in that he is much more of a jack of all trades than Ness and Lucas, who have clearly defined strengths (and weaknesses). Off the top of my head, his PK Fire might have the least endlag of all the EB characters so that Ninten can use it to pressure at midrange (similar to Lucas) and then approach behind it, guessing how the opponent might respond and picking the appropriate option to punish (more in line with Ness' playstyle). Would probably be a legitimate kill move, unlike the other two, or maybe it sets up a juggle situation, or something else that forces you to respect it yet is distinct from the other two PK Fires.

His moveset could follow this kind of pattern to find the middle ground between Ness' high risk, high reward gameplay and Lucas' lower risk, consistent style, or otherwise find niches for his moves that the other two counterparts don't cover. Base his dash attack on the 4-D Slip and you have a proper zone-breaking dash attack in line with that of someone like Meta Knight, ZSS or Fox, for example. PKT2 goes Ness-distance but doesn't get halved if intercepted (and is much weaker and probably slower). And so on.

I think if he has any realistic chance for this game it would probably be as a Ness Echo, but you could definitely squeeze some unique gameplay out of him with his own moveset, so that's definitely worth some thought too. Why not dream big?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I wonder: Would Ninten be considered a Ness or Lucas echo? I'm leaning more towards Lucas myself.

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I wonder: Would Ninten be considered a Ness or Lucas echo? I'm leaning more towards Lucas myself.
I feel like Ninten would use a little bit from both Ness and Lucas. Chrom has most of Roy's moves while having Ike's recovery.
Sakurai could do the same thing here.

Top Bottom