• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622

Image taken from my deviantART page: AdmiralN30

Ninten is the main character of the very first Mother game titled: EarthBound Beginnings. In this game, he is joined by Ana, Lloyd, and Teddy as they fight off an invading army led by Giegue (Giygas). As their journey progresses, Ninten discovers their connection to his great grandparents.

Why should he join the roster?

If Ninten was added in Smash Bros, then all the primary protagonists of all three games can be represented. So far, all that Smash Bros had to represent the first Mother game was one stage and several songs. Ninten so far had only a couple of cameos on the Magicant stage on the 3DS and a sticker in Brawl. Admittedly, at the time of Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and Wii U, his chances seemed kind of slim. Since then however, Nintendo officially released the English translation of the first Mother game and re-titled it to EarthBound Beginnings. If Ninten was included, it could spread awareness of the character and his game to a wider audience, like what the Fire Emblem characters did in Melee or even what Ness and Lucas did when they were brought to the roster. In fact, one could argue that Super Smash Bros is partly responsible for helping to spread the popularity of these franchises.

B: PK Beam:

Ninten fires a chargeable beam of energy which inflicts combo damage to opponents. The longer B is held down, the longer the beam will be.

B →: 4-D Slip:

A circle of light forms in front of Ninten as the player controls a second one with the analog stick. When B is released, he jumps into a portal in front of him and emerges from another at the spot the spot the circle was when B was released. Any opponent caught at the two spots where the portals form will receive electrical combo damage. To an extent, the move is kind of like Greninja’s Shadow Sneak, except it doesn’t happen in a flash.

B ↑: PK Teleport:

Ninten rapidly spins on the ground or in midair and teleports into the direction in which the analog stick is held. Any opponent caught within range of his teleportation will receive a burning damage effect.

B ↓: PK Hypnosis:

Ninten releases rings of light from his eyes which lulls an opponent in front of him to sleep briefly. It’s kind of similar to Mewtwo’s disable as it works when the opponent is facing him, except it’s slightly slower to activate and covers a wider range.

Final Smash: Brain Cyclone:

Ninten creates an aura around himself which telekinetically lifts any surrounding characters and rapidly spins them around him in a spiral. This has enough power throw the opponents off screen. Whoever isn’t KO’d will have their controls jinxed briefly as if they are confused or “feel strange”.

Objections:

Argument #1: He looks the same as Ness.

This is easy to fix. Redesigns are not uncommon in media, let alone in video games. A lot of fan art seems to base the way they show Ninten off of the original commercial for Mother on the Famicom in which he wore a red bandana and a shirt with different colored stripes.

Even I designed the image provided at the very top of is thread. Of course, I don’t expect him to look exactly like that, but it is just an example. If Ninten does make it into Smash for the Switch they may very well could redesign him.

Argument #2: He will just be another Ness clone.

It is assumed that his moveset would just be a copy of Ness and Lucas, which is not necessarily true. Just because Ninten is a PSI user, that doesn’t mean he is guaranteed to be a clone of the other two characters. There were several moves from EarthBound Beginnings that weren’t used by characters in the later games like PK Beam and the 4th Dimensional Slip. Plus, there were moves in the other two Mother games that weren’t in the first like PK Flash and PK Starstorm.

However, I understand that some wouldn't mind having him as a clone. As a personal preference, I would prefer for him to have a unique moseset.

Argument #3: Ness IS Ninten.

This is a blanket statement. Just because they looked similar doesn’t mean they are the same exact character. They both have different settings, different friends and family, different weaknesses, as well as different stories. With the different plot points and character traits, the differences outweigh the similarities.

Argument #4: Adding another Mother character is over-representation.

There were only two playable Mother characters in Super Smash Bros so far. I don’t see how adding one more would be over-representation. The roster can still be diverse if one more Mother character was added.

Don’t forget, the previous Smash game had three Kid Icarus characters and six Fire Emblem characters (which includes DLC), while The Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong Country had only the veterans and zero newcomers. This gives me the impression that there is no set-in-stone rule that states “this series deserves x amount of characters”. So, I think it’s a fair compromise to have at least a maximum of three characters to represent the Mother series.

Argument #5: Neither Ninten nor EarthBound Beginnings are popular enough.

Popularity doesn’t always guarantee a character’s inclusion. Again, most people were expecting new characters to represent the Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong Country for Smash 4 but didn’t get any. While popularity is important, it's not the final deciding factor.

Besides, you want to talk about popularity? For over two decades fans have been demanding the release of the first Mother game to the west, thanks in part to Starmen.net. They eventually got their wish in 2015 when Nintendo released it to the Wii U’s virtual console. That might not have happened if it wasn’t for so many people demanding the game (we are still demanding Mother 3, but I digress).

Argument #6: The first Mother game isn’t relevant.

You know, the Virtual Console publication in 2015 technically marks the first time that the game was officially released worldwide. Are you just going to pretend that it didn’t happen?

Argument #7: Ninten should just be an alternate skin for Ness.

In my opinion, making him an alternate skin for Ness would be like if they decided to make Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X an alternate skin for Shulk. Just because they can, doesn’t mean they should. I mean, Alph being an alternate skin for Olimar made sense because he didn't have much to work off of from Pikmin 3 (aside from maybe Rock Pikmin like they originally planned). As for the seven Koopalings, they were made into skins for Bowser Jr. as a minor bonus as he was a last-minute addition anyways. That and most of Bowser Jr.’s moves were either not specific to one Koopaling or just made up altogether (except for the Shadow Mario Final Smash, but that's just one move). Ninten deserves better than that, especially when he has plenty of distinct moves and abilities to exercise.

Argument #8: Is he plausible?

Technically yes. Ninten is a Nintendo character (if his name didn’t make it obvious enough) who does fit the guidelines of Super Smash Bros. At the time of Smash 4, it seemed that his chances were low. But with EarthBound Beginnings finally out on the Wii U Virtual Console that anyone with said system can access, I think his chances are better than before. Maybe not to the extreme, but still sufficiently to say he has a fair shot. As the first hero of the Mother series, I think he deserves the spot well enough after all of this time.

If you want Ninten in the next Smash game, feel free to show your support. And don’t forget to spread the word!

"Ninten for Smash" Twitter Account

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Still support. It would be interesting to see the OG Mother protagonist in Smash.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
As a Ness main, Ninten is definitely the next Mother series representative I'd like to see in Smash. Even though he'd more than likely be a Ness semi-clone, I think that would be acceptable. I would hope they'd at least give him unique special moves like Teleport for his recovery and a move like LifeUp or OffenseUp to give him something very different from the other Mother kids and create a different playstyle. As for how he'd look in the game, I'd prefer it if they use the design like I have in my signature. It would set him farther apart from Ness than if they designed him after his more "official" art like in the clay model. The final question is, how likely is it that Ninten would be added? I personally think it's pretty unlikely. The Mother series has been completed for some time now, and the series already has 2 representatives through Ness and Lucas. The fact that Earthbound Beginnings was released for the Virtual Console helps his chances, but only marginally. I feel that the other reasons put too much against his chances. I don't believe he'll ever make it, but I'd still love to see it happen.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Things are looking very grim for more Mother representation in the future. But at least we got Earthbound Beginnings a few years ago (We juts need Mother ****ing 3 in the West).

Speaking of which, I'm still behind the idea of Ninten as a Smash fight. As crazy as that sounds.

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Here's something to think about:

If Ninten was added to the roster, which stage should he have to represent his game? Should they just bring back the Magicant Stage from the 3DS Smash game, or would you rather see something different?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

If Ninten was added to the roster, which stage should he have to represent his game? Should they just bring back the Magicant Stage from the 3DS Smash game, or would you rather see something different?
id prefer something new

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Podunk or Mt. Itoi would work well. Especially the latter.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I thought I might post this:

I designed this stage and posted it on my deviantart page about four years ago. My idea was that the R7038XX (the robot further back in the background) would fire energy beams at the players similarly to the cannon on the Halberd stage. The players could avoid it by jumping into the two holes leading to the cave which viewpoint fades in and out as they enter and leave, in a similar fashion to the Luigi's Mansion stage. Eventually EVE would rise up from the whirlpool in the lake and fight off the R7038XX until they both explode.

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Just a quick update. I added one more counter-argument to the OP.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I thought of some ideas for custom moves for Ninten.

Instead of relying strictly on PSI Powers, I thought of adding some weapons and battle items that were exclusive to EarthBound Beginnings. For example, one of Ninten’s custom Down Bs could be the Bullhorn, which would operate similarly to PK Hypnosis which I mentioned in the OP, but would have a slightly smaller range and would inflict damage to the opponents instead of causing them to fall asleep. And yes I know this isn’t how the Bullhorn was used in the game, but Smash Bros has gotten away with these inconsistencies before. I mean, since when could the move Rest blast opponents away in the Pokémon games?

Another custom Down B could be the Flea Bag, which he pulls out and throws at opponents. Fleas fly out and attach to the opponent causing their damage to increase and must be shaken off. It would be like the Bee Hive item, except the fleas are slower, ground based and don’t cause the opponents to flinch. Also, for the sake of balancing, Ninten can only have one set of fleas out at a time.

Then for a custom Side B, he could fling a Boomerang which would have a Meteor Smash effect (just to make it stand out from Link and Toon Link’s Boomerangs).

Thoughts?

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet

Instead of relying strictly on PSI Powers, I thought of adding some weapons and battle items that were exclusive to EarthBound Beginnings. For example, one of Ninten’s custom Down Bs could be the Bullhorn, which would operate similarly to PK Hypnosis which I mentioned in the OP, but would have a slightly smaller range and would inflict damage to the opponents instead of causing them to fall asleep. And yes I know this isn’t how the Bullhorn was used in the game, but Smash Bros has gotten away with these inconsistencies before. I mean, since when could the move Rest blast opponents away in the Pokémon games?

Another custom Down B could be the Flea Bag, which he pulls out and throws at opponents. Fleas fly out and attach to the opponent causing their damage to increase and must be shaken off. It would be like the Bee Hive item, except the fleas are slower, ground based and don’t cause the opponents to flinch. Also, for the sake of balancing, Ninten can only have one set of fleas out at a time.

Then for a custom Side B, he could fling a Boomerang which would have a Meteor Smash effect (just to make it stand out from Link and Toon Link’s Boomerangs).

Thoughts?
Showcasing battle items would be a good way to give Ninten some variety from Ness and Lucas. Besides, his psychic moves from Earthbound Beginnings look to be more centered around status effects or healing. Using some of those battle items along with certain powers like 4th-D Slip would work in helping him to stand out.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Thoughts?
I see nothing wrong with it, incorporating the other Mother items would be a great way to expand Ninten's movset pool at least. Instead of variations like the other fighters, I wouldn't mind it being like Mega Man with more unique custom moves (which I loved).

No argument there.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I see nothing wrong with it, incorporating the other Mother items would be a great way to expand Ninten's movset pool at least. Instead of variations like the other fighters, I wouldn't mind it being like Mega Man with more unique custom moves (which I loved).

No argument there.
Yeah, I’ve been tossing an idea around to change the custom moves for most of the characters so that at least one would be a variant of the default move, like how I described the Bullhorn, and the other would be an original move, like the Flea Bag. This way players could be encouraged to try different techniques.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Here are some alternate color swaps I made for Ninten.

Here's the Deviantart link.

If anyone has fan art or anything else relating to Ninten that they would like to share, I encourage it.

Last edited:

APKNepra

Smash Rookie
NNID
PSIPsychicgirl
3DS FC
5301-0568-5128
Wow dude, I agree with this post. I love the MOTHER series to death and just seeing this Ninten post made me go "YES YOU GET ME." I voted for Ninten in the smash ballot actually, and most of the points you made were some of the same stuff I mentioned as well. It would be awesome if Ninten made it into smash, it would represent the MOTHER series well and hopefully get people into it. At least the MOTHER series isn't UnderTale, *shivers*. Even though I don't mind UnderTale, it's the fanbase I don't like. But yeah, thanks for the post m8!

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
There is one song from EarthBound Beginnings that has yet to be used in Super Smash Bros that I think could be perfect. The song is titled “All That I Needed Was You” which played during the Ellay Live House scene.

Here’s the 8-bit version:

And here’s the lyrical version:

Are there any songs from the first Mother game that you'd like to hear in Smash Bros which haven't been used yet?

Last edited:

NintenEBB

Smash Cadet
I always find it rediculous how people try to use the fact that Ness looks like him. I said it like that because in series chronological order that's how it is, but anyway it's dumb. Smash literally has Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario. So how come Ninten is the only one who gets singled out by by one of his fellow protagonist looking like him.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I always find it rediculous how people try to use the fact that Ness looks like him. I said it like that because in series chronological order that's how it is, but anyway it's dumb. Smash literally has Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario. So how come Ninten is the only one who gets singled out by by one of his fellow protagonist looking like him.
I know. It stems mainly from his promotional art. The appearance of his in-game sprite on the other hand, was kind of vague, aside from the red cap and blue shirt. From the way I see it though, Ninten’s appearance hasn’t been set in stone, at least not in the same way Ness and Lucas has.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Well, I watched the Nintendo Direct Yesterday, and I will say that I am cautiously optimistic. Not just for Ninten’s chances as a newcomer, but also because of the uncertainty of whether the new Smash game being a new entry or just a port (I’d much prefer the former), which is bugging me the most right now. I have read about Sakurai's current involvement in the game and that he's been working silently on it for a while, though it still seems ambiguous.

Any thoughts?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Well, I watched the Nintendo Direct Yesterday, and I will say that I am cautiously optimistic. Not just for Ninten’s chances as a newcomer, but also because of the uncertainty of whether the new Smash game being a new entry or just a port (I’d much prefer the former), which is bugging me the most right now. I have read about Sakurai's current involvement in the game and that he's been working silently on it for a while, though it still seems ambiguous.

Any thoughts?
We don't know exactly when they started developing Smash for Switch, though kind of reminds me of Melee being released about 2 years later from Smash 64. I'm sure the team should be bigger than when they were working on DLC. So we may get more content than the amount of DLC Content was in Smash 4 or just 3DS Version ports.

Regarding Ninten's moveset, you haven't went into much detail about his normals. If it was similar to Ness though it would be repetitive for fans and misrepresent MOTHER 1.
Some of the items you described could be his normals, the flee bag could be his down throw
There's some items I think would work well for Ninten's normals:
Slingshot could be his side-tilt where you would be able to angle the move like other side-tilts. Some issues with Villager though since he does use it as his fair/bair.
Darkness can be used on a couple of Ninten's attacks as the name implies, it gives out a darkness hit effect.
The Brain-Cyclone can be his up throw or better off as his Down-Smash, just like some of the functions you described within the Final Smash.
Another Custom Down-B can be a paralysis move for Ninten.
I still think you should at least represent the PSI Shield as his Down-B since it parallels with what the PSI Magnet does for Lucas and Ness, can be used by all characters in the series, but named differently in the third game.
His Bat should be used more than just being limited to a Side-Smash.

Wouldn't the Eight Melodies be a better fit for his Final Smash? Its a very iconic and important song in the MOTHER Series. It would operate similar to DK's Final Smash, a rhythm system that could also represent the MOTHER 3 side of the battles, though he is suppose to represent EarthBound Beginnings. Even though Lucas' and Ness' final smashes were from their party members in their respective games, PK Starstorm held a purpose for Poo and Kumatora within their journey (Against their powerful foes), and not obtained normally like their other PSI Moves. (Leveling Up)

You do know it will be the 30th anniversary of the MOTHER series next year, which will make the first game more relevant.

Though there is a PM mod, but I'm sure you would get more insights of a vision for a potential Ninten Moveset. (Not Made by me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxRbmYhsDg

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Honestly I like your idea for his special moveset! I would rather have the 8 melodies or EVE as his final smash personally! I just ultimately want a rep for the first game already! Even Ana or Lloyd would make me extremely happy

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
We don't know exactly when they started developing Smash for Switch, though kind of reminds me of Melee being released about 2 years later from Smash 64. I'm sure the team should be bigger than when they were working on DLC. So we may get more content than the amount of DLC Content was in Smash 4 or just 3DS Version ports.
I definitely won't doubt that. That way the production will be more efficient.

Regarding Ninten's moveset, you haven't went into much detail about his normals. If it was similar to Ness though it would be repetitive for fans and misrepresent MOTHER 1.
Some of the items you described could be his normals, the flee bag could be his down throw
There's some items I think would work well for Ninten's normals:
Slingshot could be his side-tilt where you would be able to angle the move like other side-tilts. Some issues with Villager though since he does use it as his fair/bair.
Darkness can be used on a couple of Ninten's attacks as the name implies, it gives out a darkness hit effect.
The Brain-Cyclone can be his up throw or better off as his Down-Smash, just like some of the functions you described within the Final Smash.
Another Custom Down-B can be a paralysis move for Ninten.
I still think you should at least represent the PSI Shield as his Down-B since it parallels with what the PSI Magnet does for Lucas and Ness, can be used by all characters in the series, but named differently in the third game.
His Bat should be used more than just being limited to a Side-Smash.
I have thought about Ninten's standard attacks. The slingshot could work perfectly as a side tilt. Maybe he could fire a rocket for his up Smash as a reference to Lloyd, but with more of a fiery explosive effect unlike the Villager's up Smash. In one of my old moveset ideas I gave him a Power Shield which acted basically how you described, but I left it out of my recent one because I was trying to show how it was possible to differentiate him from Ness and Lucas. Originally, I didn't go into detail about his standard moves in the OP because I prefer to see us brainstorm ideas.

Wouldn't the Eight Melodies be a better fit for his Final Smash? Its a very iconic and important song in the MOTHER Series. It would operate similar to DK's Final Smash, a rhythm system that could also represent the MOTHER 3 side of the battles, though he is suppose to represent EarthBound Beginnings. Even though Lucas' and Ness' final smashes were from their party members in their respective games, PK Starstorm held a purpose for Poo and Kumatora within their journey (Against their powerful foes), and not obtained normally like their other PSI Moves. (Leveling Up)
That could work too. As long as it's not PK Starstorm, I'm good. ;)

You do know it will be the 30th anniversary of the MOTHER series next year, which will make the first game more relevant.
It would be nice if Nintendo did something for it, like maybe releasing Mother 3 or a compilation of all three games.

Though there is a PM mod, but I'm sure you would get more insights of a vision for a potential Ninten Moveset. (Not Made by me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxRbmYhsDg
I have watched the video, as well as read the moveset details from the download page. I'm not quite sure about PK Hypnosis operating like PK Flash, but as long as Ninten stands out well enough, I'd be cool with it.

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Honestly, I could see him in the runnings for a late-addition clone character (every game has them). His game and the series as a whole has had a boost in relevance, since EarthBound Beginnings was released not too long ago.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I'm all for Ninten as a fighter! Mother/EarthBound Beginnings still isn't represented much in Smash and his game was recently released worldwide. I feel like he's likely as a Mother rep. The only character from the series I think stands more of a chance perhaps is Porky--he's, to my knowledge, the only character that shows up in two Mother series games, and he played an important part in Brawl.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for Ninten as a fighter! Mother/EarthBound Beginnings still isn't represented much in Smash and his game was recently released worldwide. I feel like he's likely as a Mother rep. The only character from the series I think stands more of a chance perhaps is Porky--he's, to my knowledge, the only character that shows up in two Mother series games, and he played an important part in Brawl.
Porky was in a machine when he was in Brawl (Based on his MOTHER 3 appearance), though I don't think Sakurai will figure out a way to make him jump without looking awkward. MOTHER 3 hasn't been localized yet which will still put his chances pretty low, and I still believe the Masked Man has a higher chance than Porky because he doesn't run into some movement issues and he is still a villain character overall. (Though spoilers for people who haven't played the game.) Vechicles in Smash Bros. are unlikely to be playable characters (not including final smashes), unless its small like Bowser Jr.'s clown car. Plus Porky doesn't have much animation aside from the machine's legs moving or generating anything out of it.
From the new mother reps they can choose from this is from most likely to least likely.
1) Ninten (Localized and the only character that isn't represented in the MOTHER Series for Smash)
2) Masked Man (Spoiler concerns, and some moves are yet to be represented)
3) Porky (Some movement concerns the, machine legs are the only ones that really animates on his movement.)
4) Misc. party members since they are usually represented by the respective protagonists.
No boss character has yet to be a playable character in Super Smash Bros. yet plus those bosses were chosen since they had limited movement in mind. Though Ridley had size concerns since moveset mods has shown that he can move pretty well in the game. The Petey Piranha can be compared pretty well with Porky since they work like they had limited movement in mind.

Last edited:

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
Porky was in a machine when he was in Brawl (Based on his MOTHER 3 appearance), though I don't think Sakurai will figure out a way to make him jump without looking awkward. MOTHER 3 hasn't been localized yet which will still put his chances pretty low, and I still believe the Masked Man has a higher chance than Porky because he doesn't run into some movement issues and he is still a villain character overall. (Though spoilers for people who haven't played the game.) Vechicles in Smash Bros. are unlikely to be playable characters (not including final smashes), unless its small like Bowser Jr.'s clown car. Plus Porky doesn't have much animation aside from the machine's legs moving or generating anything out of it.
From the new mother reps they can choose from this is from most likely to least likely.
1) Ninten (Localized and the only character that isn't represented in the MOTHER Series for Smash)
2) Masked Man (Spoiler concerns, and some moves are yet to be represented)
3) Porky (Some movement concerns the, machine legs are the only ones that really animates on his movement.)
4) Misc. party members since they are usually represented by the respective protagonists.
I was considering him as being similar to Bowser Jr. but now that you mention it I suppose it would be a little harder to animate Porky's mech.

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't mind seeing Ninten, would hope he doesn't get a recovery involving PK Thunder though lol.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind seeing Ninten, would hope he doesn't get a recovery involving PK Thunder though lol.
If HE HAS to use a PK Thunder recovery, it should function like the Star Fox character's special moves but the same collision coding like Lucas and Ness' PK Thunder 2. (Meaning no PK Thunder projectile) The main reason is because PK Thunder never misses in EarthBound Beginnings. The hitboxes, should function like Wolf's up-b or better off as Wolf flash.
Though I'd still choose 4th-D Slip as his Up-B.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Argument 8: Is he likely?

...and your response is yes.
That makes the rest of the post feel illegitimate to me.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Argument 8: Is he likely?

...and your response is yes.
That makes the rest of the post feel illegitimate to me.
I said yes to him being likely, not guaranteed.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I hope people someday will realize how different his skill set is from Ness’ and Lucas’, and how original his moveset could (and ideally would) be as a result.

(I support BTW)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I said yes to him being likely, not guaranteed.
No one is a guarantee, so of course that is not something that could even be considered possible.
But saying he is likely... is certainly not an opinion that I think many could share.

Morbi

Scavenger
I always viewed Mother and Earthbound as Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. They are different movies, but the second one is just trying to do the first one better. Not necessarily a remake, but a re-imagining. That, to me, translates to Ninten and Ness. There are not enough differences to justify his existence despite the fact that Ninten is different in the same way that Ashley was different than Ashley. In other words, I would rather have a Paula.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I always viewed Mother and Earthbound as Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. They are different movies, but the second one is just trying to do the first one better. Not necessarily a remake, but a re-imagining.
Even if you do consider Evil Dead 2 a re-imagining, it is still intended to be a sequel to the first movie (while spoofing it too, but still a sequel nonetheless), as EarthBound has been established as a sequel to the first Mother game.
That, to me, translates to Ninten and Ness. There are not enough differences to justify his existence despite the fact that Ninten is different in the same way that Ashley was different than Ashley.
The idea that Ninten and Ness are the same character still comes across to me as a superficial generalization, especially when you actually look into lore of both games. The evidence is there regardless. BTW, Evil Dead 2 is set immediately after the first Evil Dead, so I'm not quite sure if that's a good example.

Last edited:

NintenEBB

Smash Cadet
I can't find the post where I went into full detail of my moveset for him, but I know it consisted of PK Beam, Brainshock which would be his neutral B and possibly do more damage than Ness's PK Flash since a brain shock would hurt a lot, 4th-D Slip as a recovery, and either PSI Magnent like the other two or maybe PK Darkness which would be another move Ana taught him. Question is how would PK Darkness work? Would it slow the enemies down or do damage effect over time which last about 10 seconds or so. In canon it lowered the enemies accuracy or defense if I remember correctly. Got any ideas for PK Darkness?

As four taunts we got Asthma Attack, Inhaler, and Playing the Ocarina.

His Final Smash could either be him and Ana charging a PK Beam together at all the opponents that got trapped in the cutscene doing critical damage which references the MOTHER 1 trailer.

Option 2 is the eight melodies with Giegue/Giygas here Ninten, Ana, and LLoyd sing the song triggering Giegue hurting all of Ninten's opponents on the field because Giegue's/Giygas's attack is like Taboo's final smash in brawl.

The last possible option is Ninten summoning E.V.E. to attack his opponents shooting lasers everyone for specific amount of time although she would already be doing that if there was a Mt. Itoi stage.

So I would probably go with the first to final smashes if he's allowed to have two like Ryu.

Top Bottom