• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
October 5th huh. Well it all comes down to this. Firstly, how about that Nintendo direct huh? I don’t think I’ll ever understand why Chris Pratt was chosen to be Mario over like, literally anyone else but eh. I feel like Miyamoto being there made it way more surreal than it needed to be.

October 5th is also the day NASB drops which I find a tiny bit bizarre. Like, was this chosen on purpose? Like, is it to dunk on them? I kinda doubt that as the game is coming out on the Switch however. I can’t see Nintendo making unnecessary competition, Yeah the Nick game probably isn’t going to take off as far as some smash tubers think it is, but for Nintendo to announce the character during the launch to me says that it’s not gonna be a character that will break the internet. Again, the game is being released on the Switch, it’d be dumb to announce something like Sora. (Who I’d love but have absolutely zero hope for) It’s probably gonna be someone that’s Terry tier in my opinion where the better part of gamers aren’t really gonna know who this character is, or just isn’t as popular. As Sakurai said in his Terry video: It’s important that the character is fun to play, not just being recognizable.

And as I was in the middle of writing this, NASB delayed the game to the 8th. You can’t make this crap up.

I was right about the character being most likely released in mid-late October if they were announced early though.. If we look at the day Kazuya was announced, which was the 15th of June and compare it to the day he was released which was June 29th. 14 days or two weeks later. Pyra/Mythra were announced Feb 17th, released March 4th, once again two weeks later. Sephiroth was announced on December 10th and was released on the 22nd, a little less than two weeks, but if it was exactly two weeks it would have actually been Christmas so… It’s understandable.

ANYWAY to me this says the earliest we’re getting the character would be the 18th while the latest would probably be the 21st with how these last three characters have been released. Though we are probably looking at the 18th or 19th for a release as most fighters drop on Mondays or Tuesdays. It’s also probably to give time for Metroid Dread to shine as well.

Anyways, how about them N64 titles eh? Never thought I’d see the day! I mean, I guess I thought it was possible, but just kinda thought it wouldn’t be any time soon. Though it does make me think. Are we done with the bigger NES and SNES releases? When the SNES games dropped, the NES games dropped in quality. And by that I mean the classic first party entries disappeared. There were still games, but no noteworthy 1st party titles. With the N64 games on their way, looks like the SNES games will follow the same route (though honestlly, they’ve already declined pretty bad already, DKC3 was the last decent
addition of note which was in December, ALMOST AN ENTIRE YEAR AGO.) which begs the question:

WHERE THE **** IS EARTHBOUND?!?!

Seriously. This is ridiculous. Whether it be a collection or a remake, that’s the only way I see this happening. Because as a reminder, NA isn’t the only region without these games. Japan, the region that the games are the most popular in, ALSO don’t have them. They clearly don’t want to put them on the NSO, so selling them is the only option. There have been rereleases of the vinyls this year, a metic ton of merchandise being released constantly for well over a year and even leaks that the franchise would be included at Universal Parks. The Switch is the first console in history that has not had plans for an EB game that we know of. There’s just no way they’re gonna skip out on this goldmine of a console. I guess I just don’t know what the hell they’re waiting for then unless there’s something else in the pipeline.

Also I noticed something kinda interesting about the DLC characters. Joker and Sephiroth were big VGA announcements, Hero, Banjo, and Kazuya were all unveiled at E3, while Terry and Pyra/Mythra were shown off in normal run of the mill directs. Min Min, Steve, and Byleth were not. Two out of three of these characters were first parties.

However, Steve is a bit of a weird case here. Think of the time period of when he was revealed though. No real directs, no real announcements, no E3. There’s no way there wasn’t at least an initial plan for a E3 presentation, and Steve fits the bill perfectly. But due to the delays, it makes sense why he didn’t happen there. There’s also the whole thing of Steve being announced BEFORE the Sakurai presentation. Min Min and Byleth were revealed IN their respective Sakurai Presents. Yes Min Min’s franchise was announced earlier, but her actual character WASN’T. So both times when there was a reveal in a Sakurai Presents, they were first parties. So I’m pretty damn confident in this being a first party.

Something else I should mention is that we haven’t gotten a true shill rep this pass. Now a shill rep doesn’t necessarily mean that the character comes out at almost the same time as what it’s shilling. For example, Byleth was obviously a shill rep, but his game came out 6 MONTHS before he was even revealed. Hero was revealed and even released several months before Dragon Quest 11 Definitive edition was even out. You could argue that Corrin came out around the same time as Fates, however, the game was already out in Japan for over half a year. The only real DLC “shill rep” that I can think of that was released at the same time was Lucas and EB0 in 2015. I guess my point here is that if it’s a shill rep, it’s not gonna be Metroid, and could even be for something that isn’t even announced as Lucas was announced long before EB0 dropped. Just something to mention.

One other thing. I was looking at the Mother Project part of the Hobonichi site, and I noticed a couple things. Firstly, there’s planned restocks of a ton of items that have been long out of stock. I’m talking things that haven’t been sold in many months. The hotel travel souvenirs are a good example and just got restocked on the 28th of this month. Some Mr. Saturn plushes as well as Ninten/Ness’s hat are coming back in stock in December. The only things I see that aren’t planned to be restocked are the knee high Mr. Saturn and the Mother 2 jacket.

What’s more interesting to me is the 2022 calendar on the site. Rather than just be the same as last years, they changed it up. The wall calendar consists of locations from EarthBound and that seems to be it which is different from the previous calendar that contained pages from all three games. The old desktop one consisted of locations from only EarthBound. This new one however, is all locations from EB0. Pretty interesting right? Likely doesn’t mean much, but still cool nonetheless.

Finally we got Pollyanna 2 coming out on October 21st. So less than a month away, they’re releasing a second official manga, which just sounds weird to me. I would have thought they’d release it closer to Christmas honestly as that’s when the scripts came out. Or in the summer like the last book came out. Why October? Just strange…

Though it gets a little tiny bit stranger. On the Hobonichi site, they’ve confirmed that there will be “long interviews” with voice actor Yuichi Nakamura and member of the band SUPER BEAVER Ryuuta Shibuya. Here’s the link.

https://www.1101.com/n/s/mother_project/pollyanna2_pre01

I certainly have a question though; Why? The first Pollyanna comic did not include interviews. So… Why does this one? Pollyanna 2 supposedly wasn’t planned from the beginning of the Mother Project, so if any book should have interviews, wouldn’t it be the first one? Also, of all the people in the world, why these two? Yuichi has voice acted in Nintendo games before such as Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, but he’s never been involved in a Mother based project before. Same with SUPER BEAVER. There’s zero connection between SUPER BEAVER and Nintendo, EarthBound, or even Itoi that I can see. I can’t even really see a connection between Ryuuta and Yuichi. It could be just interviews with celebrity Mother fans, but it just seems really weird. Like why not interview Keiichi Suzuki on his new Mother albums that just came out THIS YEAR.

Also, this probably means nothing, but they have not shown off the back cover of this book yet. The back cover of the original book sported an ad for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. With how the original Pollyanna book advertised the Mother Project merchandise within the pages of the manga, the non Mother Project ad was on the back cover. So if there is an ad on the back cover, it’s likely not gonna be Mother Project merch. So I guess the question here is, what’s the ad gonna be? Could very well be the exact same Smash ad as last year, but that’d be weird as this manga is going as far as having interviews in it so I don’t see them copy pasting an ad.

Though, this is all kinda weird if you threw it all together. We got a smash character that’s extremely likely to be a first party/Nintendo character being revealed on the 5th, most likely will be released on the 19th, while this manga debuts on the 21st and contains interviews from a voice actor known for voicing younger male characters and a band member from a group that’s never been known to associate with Nintendo before and they haven’t even mentioned the reasons FOR these interviews yet. I don’t even think the guys themselves have mentioned it yet. Or else I would have certainly heard about it by now. Without them showing what the ad is on the box it makes this whole situation weirder. There’s no way the ad isn’t gonna be Mother related. The question is, what’s it gonna be?

So help me god if Ninten is actually in this game and is voiced by Rex goddamned Raptor I will loose my ****ing mind.

I’ll make one final recap and post in a couple days. I’m not saying this is all proof of anything but god. It always seems to get weirder.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
IT’S THE FINAL NINTEDTALK DO DO DO DO… DO DO DO DO DO!!!

Okay, I’m gonna try to keep the points to a minimum and not go overboard, but knowing me I probably will so heh, Anyways let’s do this for old time’s sake.

Putting them in spoiler folders or else I might break the website.

-There’s lots of weird crap surrounding Brawl and the Mother series. The music for starters. In game, there were four M3 tracks added and two EB0 tracks added giving EB0 and M3 four tracks total with EB having none. If you count the tracks cut from the game, (Eight Melodies, Smiles and Tears, Hippie Battle and Because I Love You) EB0 has 5, EB has 2, and M3 has one. EB0 which had no reps was going to have the most music.

-The Mother victory theme was also changed from EB’s Smiles and Tears to EB0’s Mother Earth. If we look into the cut victory themes, Lucas was among those that were planned to get unique ones (Likely a track from Mother 3), while Ness’s was just binned and replaced with a track not from his own game, but from the game missing a rep.

-Despite not having a fighter, EB0 also had the same amount of stickers as EB, which has had a character since the first game.

-In the Subspace Emissary, characters debuted in locations based around their respective franchise. Lucas and Ness both debuted in the Ruined Zoo stage which has no presence in either of their games, but it did have a presence in Ninten’s game. It even has a similar muted color scheme and design elements. In the Great Maze, shadow Ness and Porky are present, and plays Snowman, a Mother 1 track.

-In the credits for Ness’s Classic Mode, rather than play Pollyanna, the track that plays in his house, it plays Snowman, a track that only plays once in EB and when it does, Ness isn’t even playable or even shown.

It feels like something is missing here.

-EB was planned to be ported to the VC as far back as the Wii. The ESRB rated it for the US, but never ported it because they believed that it would flop like back in 1995. They were wrong. For some reason it never got officially ported in Japan either.

-April 2013 the game was ported onto the Wii U eshop, and after massive fan demand on the Mii verse, was localized worldwide and became a bestseller that to this day is in the top 10 best selling eshop games on the Wii U in NA and Japan.

-EB0 was then localized in 2015 on the Wii U eshop worldwide and topped Splatoon on release. It was followed by EB being a LAUNCH title for the New 3DS SNES games and was placed on the SNES classic in 2017. Mother 3 was also added to the Japanese Wii U VC. All three games were in the top 15 for the Japanese Wii U in 2018.

-Magicant is a stage from Mother 1 and was present in the 3DS version despite not having a character from that game being playable.

-The two enemies in Smash Run, Starman and Mad Car, were also from EB0. If you combine the fighter trophies together, EB0 and M3 tied the amount of trophies at 5 with EB having 4 despite EB0 not having a character.

-Lucas was initially cut, but returned as DLC leading the fighter ballot. Lucas, a Flying Man Mii, and EB0 were all released within the same week of June 2015.

-Ultimate contains the same 2 Mother assist trophies as Smash 4, and includes 3 items which is 1 more than the amount of characters in the game.

-All four stages returned and is one of only 3 original 12 franchises to have all stages back.

-Every music track from past games was included as well as two new remixes. The new total is 6 EB0 tracks, 4 EB tracks, and 4 M3 tracks. EB0, which has no fighter, has the most tracks once again.

-For spirits, EB0 had 7 while the sequels had 10 making it the first time EB has more spirits/stickers than EB0. Characters like the Mad Car and Queen Mary which would be obvious choices are strangely absent.

-Every character in FP2 has been planned back as far as 2018. An Arms character was planned for base, but didn’t have enough time to implement them. Same happened with Pyra/Mythra. Steve had plans going back as far as 2015, while Sephiroth was initially rumored and leaked 2 years prior. A Tekken rep was planned as far back as Smash 4, but Sakurai couldn’t get them to work, so Kazuya was added in SSBU.

-The final character is gonna be another straggler.

-2 tracks were added into the game, but were never posted onto the smash blog. The only other franchises that didn’t were one-offs like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit. They showed Magicant in a small music list but never actually showed it off.

-The only in game purchasable music tracks in game were the credits themes from EB and M3.
The Eight Melodies Magicant mix has the Eight Melodies removed from the title despite the code having the right title. This misnamed title credits Suzuki despite him not actually composing Magicant. He only did Eight Melodies. It wasn’t an accident because Bein Friends had a type that was eventually corrected.

-Pollyanna and Bein Friends were added very late in development explaining this typo. These tracks and Mach Rider were the only Mele tracks that didn’t have a newer mix in game prior to being added.

-In August 2018, during a smash event in Australia, two character victory themes were not allowed to be recorded. Cloud and Ness. In the final game, Cloud didn’t have his victory theme changed, and was allowed to be recorded before. HOWEVER. This time period was when the first SE leaks happened explaining the paranoia. When Sephiroth was added, he came with a new theme.

-Cloud and Ness were in the E3 demo meaning the sudden copyright issues doesn’t make sense. Sony may own the distribution rights to the game soundtracks, but that doesn’t mean they can do whatever the hell they want without Nintendo’s approval.

-Ness’s victory theme was changed from Mother Earth, to Eight Melodies. He wasn’t the only one to have a new victory theme though as Corrin also got one. The Mother theme is an anomaly as it was the only mix that wasn’t shortened, the same but remixed, or taken from a new track.

-EarthBound was the only franchise with a new/remixed victory theme that didn’t get a newcomer or cut vet returning

-The victory theme was once again taken from a game that has no playable rep.

-Ninten’s spirit doesn’t make any sense and is the least referential spirit of all Mother spirits including EVE from EB0 and Salsa from Mother 3; characters that are hardly in the games compared to Ninten.

-Ninten’s spirit was one of the last 100 added into the game with the other 5 late EB additions have had much more thought put into their battles.

-Ninten is the only EB0 spirit to NOT appear in WOL and was never shown off until 6 months after the release.

-The only non fillery spirits in the last 100 spirits were Ninten, the Chorus kids, The Arms spirits, and the Xenoblade 2 protags.

-Ninten and the Chorus kids are the only non filler player icons added at the end with no playable rep.

-The Mii Force helmet was removed. Not redesigned or repurposed, outright removed.

-Removing the animal hats (That many were replaced via smash 4 dlc) and hats based off real helmets such as the spartan hat, there were only three hats removed that have no counterpart and have no reason to be missing. The Mii Force Helmet, the Master Gardener Crown, and the Red Ribbon.

-The Helmet and Ribbon look very similar to Claus’s helmet and Paula’s bow; two very popular Mother characters that would make sense as eventual Mii costumes.

-There was a character scrubbed out of the original base roster found by dataminers showing a character that was cut and likely pushed to DLC.

-Based on the placement, the character was a first party, so it wasn’t Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, Steve, Sephiroth, or Kazuya meaning the only possibilities are the plant, Byleth, Min Min, Pyra/Mythra, or the next DLC character.

-Ads prior to launch that included the Plant seemed off by one character.

-It wasn’t Byleth as his game came out months after Smash and was likely planned to be DLC like Corrin was in 4. It wasn’t Min Min due to Spring Man’s priority, and it wasn’t Pyra due to them being scrapped early on in development as well as taking up more than one slot. It’s either the Plant or the next newcomer.

-The plant seems obvious, but if it was, why was the data for the Plant placed elsewhere in the data? The Plant was known a month prior to launch, it wasn’t a secret anymore. There was no reason to keep the values separate.

-The spirit differentiation of the nipper plant and petey implied that they initially weren’t gonna be evolutions. It’s possible that PP was planned to be that spirit but then got switched to fighter super late in development after everyone else was programmed in.

-PP was likely a special promotion like Mewtwo and was never intended for base.

-Eight Characters from Smash 64 were playable. Ness was the only secret character.

-There were only 23 stages in the build. Only 5 franchises got more than one stage. The franchises were Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and EarthBound. The other 4 franchises are easily some of Nintendo’s biggest, yet they chose EB over the likes of Kirby and Fire Emblem.

-EarthBound is the only one of these franchises to not have a cut vet return or have a newcomer introduced.

-Ness’s victory theme in this build is the Brawl/Smash 4 mix meaning the victory theme was PURPOSELY CHANGED LATER.

-Ness appears on Onett when you unlock him normally, but Magicant in WOL. The music that plays isn’t the Onett theme, Smiles and Tears, Bein Friends, or even the new Magicant mix. It’s specifically the Eight Melodies/Magicant mix. The song that has nothing to do with Ness, but everything to do with Ninten.

-Ness’s classic mode starts with a blue hat alt Ness that is likely referencing Ninten. The Eight Melodies/Magicant mix plays here.

-Mii Brawler Flying Men are not a part of Ness’s classic mode despite it being EB themed.

-All three Mother protags are a different element in the fighter triangle.

-The character that's supposedly Ness in the opening cutscene doesn’t really look like Ness.

-There was a piece of art posted in 2018 by Mother 3 devs of Lucas and Claus playing switches. None of the games are on the Switch.

-Itoi retweeted fanart of a potential EB0 remake. The retweet was later deleted for seemingly no reason.

-EB0 and EB are ghosts for the online despite being highly successful.

-N64 games got announced for Switch, practically killing the chance for EB games to be on the NSO, meaning they’d be sold if they were on Switch.

-Sony dropped a tactical nuke on the EB soundtrack and surrounding fan projects. However, the fan projects eventually went back up.

-This happened months after the vinyls were released, and some of the vinyls weren’t even hit.

-Megalovania was struck prior to being added into Smash.

-For the 31st anniversary in 2020, Itoi’s company dumped a ****load of Mother merch which was believed to have stopped by the end of the year. It’s currently the fall of 2021 and there’s STILL more stuff they want to add as well as restock a ton of the old stuff.

-The 2022 Calendar is EB0 themed.

-Pollyanna 2 comes out several days after the final character.

-Has yet to show the back cover ad. The original back cover ad was an ad for SSBU.

-Has interviews when the original did not. The interviews feature a voice actor and a band member with no relation to Itoi or Mother.

-The DLC was mentioned to Sakurai two months before the game was even ANNOUNCED let alone shown off giving ample time to scrub a character from the game.

-Mother characters have a strange aversion to being shown off in reveal cinematics despite how much of a focus they were in SSBB’s. The only time Ness was even slightly shown off was in Joker’s Game Awards announcement which was a last minute trailer as Joker didn’t even get a splash screen. The only reveal trailer that featured EB character’s was Lucas’s in Smash 4.

-A Mother rep could double as an Iwata tribute

-Lucas and Corrin were the beginning and ending Smash 4 shills. Byleth was pass 1’s first party shill. Pass 2 doesn’t have a confirmed obvious shill yet.

-There haven’t been any pages of the project plan uploaded yet while Smash 4 had pages uploaded while DLC characters were coming out.

-Ness’s disappearing eyes glitch.

-When Pyra and Mythra were added, there was a weird glitch on the website possibly implying that they went up earlier than anticipated. Pichu is off centered with the lightning possibly implying a fighter will push him back into place. Kazuya didn’t.

-The area where Pichu is is directly between Lucas and Ness’s renders. There’s plenty of free space between Wolf and Roy.

-When Pyra and Mythra were added, the music for some of the spirits were altered.

-Base game Xenoblade 2 spirits are the same amount as EB0.

-Lucas is the only Smash 4 DLC character without a counterpart in SSBU.

-Mother content NEVER LEAKS.

-Itoi’s tweet about remakes have been deleted.

-EB content is always delayed.

-Characters revealed in Sakurai Presents videos have always been first parties.

Side note: I found this on the Mother Project site.

The same day they're announcing the character for Smash, these are being released. Dot print replicas of three locations in EarthBound Zero are also releasing. Expensive as s*** but there they are. I also noticed they added memo pad sets themed to be EB0 once again. Lots of EB0 love lately on the site.

The 5th should be interesting.

Last edited:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
I have nothing important to say honestly, i hope the character is fun.
The good thing is whoever is the final character will be someone's dream newcomer. It's been fun reading all the cool theories, watching the directs and feeling the hype, i hope everyone has fun with this final character.

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
As expected it wasn't our boy.
Sora seems pretty fun to play,The doom guy Mii looks cool and smash ultimate is over.

honestly thats a good character choice, having Disney in the credits is never not gonna be weird to me (especially since they avoided using goofy and stuff but obviously it makes sense why).

Edit: now that it's over i wonder why the oddities we know about even exist.

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Well, I saw the Final Smash Direct yesterday. While I didn't put my money on Ninten, I was hoping that it would be a Nintendo character. Not just because that was the point of the series in the first place, but also because third party licenses are costly (especially in this case) and don’t last forever.

That said, I’m not upset. As long as Sora is fun to play as, I’m cool. I might even check out the Kingdom Hearts cloud ports when they become available.

I’m at least glad that they decided to not have any Disney characters on-screen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom