• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet

This place is super dead :/ ,i hope it revives someday after all ninten really needs suport now.
Well I guess I'll post my moveset thing for ninten, a friend I met in smash Amino told me it was good and I should show it here a loooong time ago
(it doesn't let me show it as an image so il post it as a link i hope it works correctly ._. , sorry for the crusty images btw )
jab and tilts
aerials and smash attacks
grab and throws
specials (and a lot of down b ideas)
final smash and stuff
stage,music and spirits
more complete image of the stage
hope all of you like it.

Edit: Twitter moveset

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh man, good to see this thread back to life.

Anyway, first parties are back on the menu, and Oddity got rebranded. If anything, it's a good year to be a Mother fan! As good as can be without Mother 3 getting localized, at least.

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Oh man, good to see this thread back to life.

Anyway, first parties are back on the menu, and Oddity got rebranded. If anything, it's a good year to be a Mother fan! As good as can be without Mother 3 getting localized, at least.
Maybe this year we get a localization??

Idk I just hope we get earthbound and earthbound beginnings in the switch.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I know this video is a little old, but I thought I'd like to share it anyways.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I'm just coming back to say that I haven't given up on Ninten, specially after how uh... unexpected it was for Byleth to be included, needless to say that people were surprised to say the least.

During the time I've been forgotten by everyone here, I got a new computer and my life has been going much better than how it was since I last was active on this thread. I am sorry that I left since I guess I was one of the many contributors to this thread, and I'm sorry for any of the things I've said I would do but never got around to do.

But hey, maybe we WILL get Ninten in the game, not very likely (because of course it has to be unlikely, it's MOTHER content after all) but there's always the chance, just like how there's the chance that we'll get some character only 5 people know about, it's only a matter of time since unfortunately there's absolutely nothing we can do to impact Ninten's chances anymore. The characters have already been chosen and the last time had any sort of power to influence the making of MOTHER content was in that japanese quiz from last year.

I still will always be praying and hoping for a MOTHER Remake, which would eventually be used to remake the next two games and localize MOTHER 3. I think remaking the game would give them the power to change some of the things from MOTHER 3 that would be seen as controversial for a Nintendo game nowadays by the public eye, plus we could end up seeing if they expand the lore. After all, a lot of things in the lore that are not shown by the game are a bit vague.

Anyways, I hope ya'll have been doin' well and that you have a fantastic day. :ness:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Great you're back , hopefully everyone comes back to support ninten some day •u•
(also, hi im "new" i guess, I never posted but always read the thread.)

there's absolutely nothing we can do to impact Ninten's chances anymore. The characters have already been chosen and the last time had any sort of power to influence the making of MOTHER content was in that japanese quiz from last year.
this is really sad, we can only hope ninten is one of the characters for fp vol.2, after all Sakurai said that being fun to play is way more important than being recognizable in the Terry presentation (plus every character except byleth has a legacy and is important in gaming).

Also, does anyone know how we could support ninten a little bit more ? Because I think we are really silent at supporting him, I don't mean something like going to Twitter to annoy Sakurai, that's basically asking to not get him in (that and the characters are already chosen so it's double useless), but maybe we could go on starman.net, Reddit or Twitter and make a voting thing to see which mother characters people want the most. Idk I just want people to talk about ninten again.

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Great you're back , hopefully everyone comes back to support ninten some day •u•
(also, hi im "new" i guess, I never posted but always read the thread.)
Oh yeah, I remember you. I don't know if I messaged you before but I knew about how you checked the thread in silence, glad you're here posting now! ^^
Sorry if now it's kinda dead, but trust me when I say that the people who are not here anymore are still most likely supporting Ninten.

Also, does anyone know how we could support ninten a little bit more ? Because I think we are really silent at supporting him, I don't mean something like going to Twitter to annoy Sakurai, that's basically asking to not get him in (that and the characters are already chosen so it's double useless), but maybe we could go on starman.net, Reddit or Twitter and make a voting thing to see which mother characters people want the most. Idk I just want people to talk about ninten again.
I don't think there anything we can do other than mentioning him as a good MOTHER rep to be added, a good echo fighter and a good costume if Sakurai ever decided to add costumes for existing characters, since we know costumes can have different models and voice acting as long as they share similar proportions like Alph and Female Robin, even Lucina since she was originally supposed to be a costume for Marth before being put as an echo.

Last edited:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
I don't think there anything we can do other than mentioning him as a good MOTHER rep to be added
true, at this point we cant do a lot, i tried to give atention to ninten with the moveset though, it didn't do great in here mostly because there aren't many people here lately, and since i don't know how to post it as an image it dosn't really stand out ( also if anyone can help me with posting images here i would thank you a lot).
I also posted my moveset in twitter and honestly it did great, way better than i thougth it would, im pretty happy that people see the potential ninten has as an actual character thanks to my moveset idea. (and then theres also instagram were it didn't receive that much attention but it's ok after all Twitter is more important for smash related stuff)

Oh yeah, I remember you. I don't know if I messaged you before but I knew about how you checked the thread in silence, glad you're here posting now! ^^
Sorry if now it's kinda dead, but trust me when I say that the people who are not here anymore are still most likely supporting Ninten.
Oh nice and nope i've never talked here befor, don't worry its not like it's your fault that the thread is like this, honestly this place fell apart wen hero got announced, we belived it was ninten so much it made a lot of people get upset and leave and yeah people here are really dedicated at suporting ninten i don't think hes been forgoten.

Hopefully, someday, Ninten will make it into Smash. Someday. We just gotta believe: https://youtu.be/vBbRJoHTJAM
pollyanna is always great.

also who are your most wanted characters for smash?
mine are :
1# Ninten
2# Masked Man
3# Porky
also Geno and quote from cave story.

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
true, at this point we cant do a lot, i tried to give atention to ninten with the moveset though, it didn't do great in here mostly because there aren't many people here lately, and since i don't know how to post it as an image it dosn't really stand out ( also if anyone can help me with posting images here i would thank you a lot).
I also posted my moveset in twitter and honestly it did great, way better than i thougth it would, im pretty happy that people see the potential ninten has as an actual character thanks to my moveset idea. (and then theres also instagram were it didn't receive that much attention but it's ok after all Twitter is more important for smash related stuff)

also who are your most wanted characters for smash?
mine are :
1# Ninten
2# Masked Man
3# Porky
also Geno and quote from cave story.
It's been a while so I don't remember how to post pics very well, you would just have to try, I think I used to just use the "Insert Image" button here:
1582681937425.png

Also, I wanna say that I just realized you're from Chile, and a wonderful artist and Ninten supporter on top of that. That's so awesome! I am also from Chile, and the last thing I expect to see is someone else from my country voting for an underrated character like Ninten.
I am happy that people in your twitter liked it, I also showed it to some friends of mine, I hope that is okay.

As for my most wanted characters, Ninten is my most favorite and possible character, but if I had to pick at least 3 then it would be:

1.- Ninten (MOTHER)
2.- Sagi (Baten Kaitos Origins)
3.- Palico (Monster Hunter)

I also support Geno since people have also been very loyal to him. I hope he gets to have the Mii costume at least instead of nothing.

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
I think I used to just use the "Insert Image" button here:
i tried that with imgur but it didn't let me post, i guess i'll try with another thing :/.

Also, I wanna say that I just realized you're from Chile, and a wonderful artist and Ninten supporter on top of that. That's so awesome! I am also from Chile, and the last thing I expect to see is someone else from my country voting for an underrated character like Ninten.
I am happy that people in your twitter liked it, I also showed it to some friends of mine, I hope that is okay.
whait WHAT???? you are from chile too! thats so cool, i didn't expect to find someone from chile in here, it's great nowing that people in chile support ninten too, thanks and its ok if you show the moveset to other people, after all i made it to convince people that ninten is the best.

As for my most wanted characters, Ninten is my most favorite and possible character, but if I had to pick at least 3 then it would be:

1.- Ninten (MOTHER)
2.- Sagi (Baten Kaitos Origins)
3.- Palico (Monster Hunter)

I also support Geno since people have also been very loyal to him. I hope he gets to have the Mii costume at least instead of nothing.
nice list, mine is is a little biased on the mother series yours is more diverce and nice, i have never played baten kaitos, or monster hunter but i hope to play them some day, i now baten kaitos has great music thanks to smash 4's remix of the veledictory elegy, and monster hunter has always looked interesting.

Geno is totally getting in i don't see nintendo putting the mii after the first pass, plus he is the last big character left, its crazy that the same game has ridley, k.rool and banjo as newcomers.

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
nice list, mine is is a little biased on the mother series yours is more diverce and nice, i have never played baten kaitos, or monster hunter but i hope to play them some day, i now baten kaitos has great music thanks to smash 4's remix of the veledictory elegy, and monster hunter has always looked interesting.

Geno is totally getting in i don't see nintendo putting the mii after the first pass, plus he is the last big character left, its crazy that the same game has ridley, k.rool and banjo as newcomers.
I agree, Geno fans have waited for a long time. They deserve their character in the game, hopefully Nintendo gets the permission to add him in.

For the Palico, if you're wondering what kind of moveset they would have, it would kinda be how they fight in Monster Hunter Generations, where they're playable and use all sorts of tricks, moves and items to fight.

As for Baten Kaitos, I really recommend it! However, if you're gonna be trying it then please play Baten Kaitos Origins, it came after the first Baten Kaitos but it's a prequel and, honestly, it has a better battle system. I really recommend it, the soundtrack for that whole game is great!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well it looks like you guys are both from Chile, I'm from Argentina, so we're all very close. Talk about coincidences!

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Mother forever is pretty good, I love that every little detail is there like Ninten's clay model saying that Ninten likes baseball, ribs and penguins

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Well it looks like you guys are both from Chile, I'm from Argentina, so we're all very close. Talk about coincidences!
It's funny cuz people have asked me if I knew about Terry and if I was excited for him in Smash since he apparently was well known in Latin America. Just to reply that I only played one SNK game and that I don't even remember if Terry was a character in there or not. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if SNK had nothing to do with Terry, that's how much I know the character. (no hate on him though, I kinda like him)

Meanwhile here we are, three people from Latin America who support Ninten.
Come on, Nintendo, listen to the 0.000000000000000001% of your players. :4pacman:

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
It's funny cuz people have asked me if I knew about Terry and if I was excited for him in Smash since he apparently was well known in Latin America
I knew who Terry was because of an old video I watched where he fought ken, I always thought he was cool.

Also I find funny how some people justify Terry being In smash not because of him being a great character or his fighting game legacy but because he is popular in Latinoamerica, which is really likely not the reason since Nintendo doesn't really care about Latinoamerica (we literally can't buy stuff in the eShop) except for Mexico.

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Also, these people have done a few polls in the past, it was actually surprising and satisfactory to find this. These are the results for the EarthBound characters that people wanted to see in Smash back in 2018 and how many votes they each one got.

1584348932619.png

If you guys are interested in seeing the results for each of the series, here's the link. Just scroll down and the results for each franchise appears there. EarthBound and Xenoblade are put together.
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/10/mega-smash-poll-switch-results/

Ninten is far from a popular character, but he is in the realm of possibility and he has been a character who's been voted to be in Smash since Brawl. If they're expanding series that haven't gotten a new character in over a decade, Ninten is the most logical and possible choice. (No hate or discourage on any of our homies wanting other EarthBound characters, we're all in this together after all)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Also, these people have done a few polls in the past, it was actually surprising and satisfactory to find this. These are the results for the EarthBound characters that people wanted to see in Smash back in 2018 and how many votes they each one got.

View attachment 265879

If you guys are interested in seeing the results for each of the series, here's the link. Just scroll down and the results for each franchise appears there. EarthBound and Xenoblade are put together.

Ninten is far from a popular character, but he is in the realm of possibility and he has been a character who's been voted to be in Smash since Brawl. If they're expanding series that haven't gotten a new character in over a decade, Ninten is the most logical and possible choice. (No hate or discourage on any of our homies wanting other EarthBound characters, we're all in this together after all)
I'll admit that I'm surprised that Kumatora placed that high and that Porky placed that low, but those are all awesome characters! Goes to show that you can't go wrong with Mother fighters.

But yeah, I think unless they want to go out of their way to add a unique character or a villain, Ninten is the go-to rep for Mother. Even if he isn't an Echo, it'll still be much easier to create him using assets from Ness and Lucas.

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet

View attachment 265879

thats great!! kumatora used to be really popular until she bacame part of lucas's final smash.
i also saw a mother character poll once, ninten was number 1 it was supper small tho (the options were only ninten,porky and masked man) but its excelent nowing ninten is the most wanted mother character.

ninten slowly gets more talked about in smash speculation he went from not talked about to "he should be a ness skin" to "he could be a ness echo" maybe people notice his and other mother characters potential,
Hopefully we need to get lucky in the figthers pass vol.2

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
thats great!! kumatora used to be really popular until she bacame part of lucas's final smash.
i also saw a mother character poll once, ninten was number 1 it was supper small tho (the options were only ninten,porky and masked man) but its excelent nowing ninten is the most wanted mother character.

ninten slowly gets more talked about in smash speculation he went from not talked about to "he should be a ness skin" to "he could be a ness echo" maybe people notice his and other mother characters potential,
Hopefully we need to get lucky in the figthers pass vol.2
Ninten became more accepted thanks to the advent of Echo Fighters, but that doesn't mean that he has to be one. It would be weird for Ninten to be a Ness echo because Ness uses attacks that don't exist in EB, such as PK Flash and PK Starstorm.

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Ninten became more accepted thanks to the advent of Echo Fighters, but that doesn't mean that he has to be one. It would be weird for Ninten to be a Ness echo because Ness uses attacks that don't exist in EB, such as PK Flash and PK Starstorm.
Yeah I know and mother 1 also has psi that isn't used in the other games , I'm just saying that people are slowly considering ninten as a character, and I would be sad to see him represented as an echo or a skin, after all Ness and Lucas play similar enough from each other having ninten play the same would not represent him and mother 1.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah I know and mother 1 also has psi that isn't used in the other games , I'm just saying that people are slowly considering ninten as a character, and I would be sad to see him represented as an echo or a skin, after all Ness and Lucas play similar enough from each other having ninten play the same would not represent him and mother 1.
Yeah. Mother 1 in general also has some unique attacks that don't appear in either Earthbound or Mother 3, such as 4th-D-Slip and PK Beam. Also, I do agree that making Ninten a Ness echo would not faithfully represent Mother 1, as Ninten would be using attacks that don't exist in that game.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
i hope everyone here is doing fine and taking precautions during the COVID-19 crisis.

that said, i been doing some thinking.
I been always wondering what kind of creative take would Sakurai would give to Ninten in terms of his PSI attacks in his basic moveset.
1585091439739.png
like how Ness PSI attacks are just bits of PK Rockin' and Lucas is hexagoning bursts of PK Love, if anyone notice the similiarities of the design of the attacks in Smash vs how it is in the home series.

of course, Ninten has no signature PSI in Mother 1/EB Beginnings, so its pretty impossible to pull out something from that.
but i been thinking, what if we took reference of said idea from another part from the game instead of the usual road? like it could be some memorable thing Ninten did in the overworld or battle interface and shape it into some sort of basic PSI attack/effect he could do in Smash?

i haven't had the time to replay Earthbound Beginnings once again, since the very day i completed the game in one sitting/a single day, so maybe i'll dig up a good suggestion if i could. lol

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Giving his attacks a very blocky appearance would be appropriate, seeing as he comes from an NES game. As for a color scheme for his PSI energy, I think blue, purple, and pink would be most appropriate as a callback to the background when collecting a melody and when singing the eight melodies.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Giving his attacks a very blocky appearance would be appropriate, seeing as he comes from an NES game. As for a color scheme for his PSI energy, I think blue, purple, and pink would be most appropriate as a callback to the background when collecting a melody and when singing the eight melodies.
like how blocky? 8-bit sparks or should it be square shape opposed to Ness' circular PSI and Lucas' hexagonal PSI
also, nice idea on the Eight Melodies bit! it should be take heavy note as a matter of fact. We oughta dig a bit more deeper tho.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
like how blocky? 8-bit sparks or should it be square shape opposed to Ness' circular PSI and Lucas' hexagonal PSI
I was just thinking of square based PSI sparks rather than actual pixels. It'd be kinda odd if his attacks were all pixelated when compared to Ness and Lucas.
Looking closer at Ness and Lucas, they each have 2 primary colors to their attacks. Ness's are primarily pink with a hint of green, while Lucas's are primarily blue with a hint of yellow. Thus, I'd go with purple as Ninten's primary PSI sparkle color. I'd also have the PSI sparkle effects flicker at a rapid pace as a nod to the way PSI attacks are represented in game: bright colors flickering the whole screen.

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
i been doing some thinking.
I been always wondering what kind of creative take would Sakurai would give to Ninten in terms of his PSI attacks in his basic moveset.

like how Ness PSI attacks are just bits of PK Rockin' and Lucas is hexagoning bursts of PK Love, if anyone notice the similiarities of the design of the attacks in Smash vs how it is in the home series.

of course, Ninten has no signature PSI in Mother 1/EB Beginnings, so its pretty impossible to pull out something from that.
but i been thinking, what if we took reference of said idea from another part from the game instead of the usual road? like it could be some memorable thing Ninten did in the overworld or battle interface and shape it into some sort of basic PSI attack/effect he could do in Smash?
Hello, welcome to the thread! ( Unless you where here before and I didn't notice .-.,,,)

I think ninten could use the original sound effects from the psi in mother 1 since the game doesn't use visuals to represent psi, instead it uses sound effects, that could work nicely and even Ness and Lucas don't have that, I also think ninten could use squares as Psi effects and the color idea sounds really nice but I think the could also come up with some other cool effects for other psi.

He doesn't have a psi attack as his ability, instead his unique ability is the 4-D slip, so maybe that could be what uses the effects you guys are talking about.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Hello, welcome to the thread! ( Unless you where here before and I didn't notice .-.,,,)
Heh, I've technically been around here for a while, but I don't post much.
This thread is honestly the reason I've kept my account on this relatively dead site. This tiny pocket of dedicated Mother fans is great.

I think ninten could use the original sound effects from the psi in mother 1 since the game doesn't use visuals to represent psi, instead it uses sound effects, that could work nicely and even Ness and Lucas don't have that, I also think ninten could use squares as Psi effects and the color idea sounds really nice but I think the could also come up with some other cool effects for other psi.

He doesn't have a psi attack as his ability, instead his unique ability is the 4-D slip, so maybe that could be what uses the effects you guys are talking about.
I always saw 4th-D slip as being visually like the starman assist trophy's teleport, personally.
Using native sound effect for characters where possible (especially Ness and Lucas since Mother has such crunchy, satisfying sound effects) has always been something I thought would really elevate Smash's attention to detail to another level. It's an especially good point in Ninten's case where there aren't any visuals to really lean on.

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
Heh, I've technically been around here for a while, but I don't post much.
This thread is honestly the reason I've kept my account on this relatively dead site. This tiny pocket of dedicated Mother fans is great.
Yeah it's great here, there's also some ninten threads in starmen.net but one is 1 page with 4 posts or something and the other doesn't have a lot of support and is more of a discussion

I always saw 4th-D slip as being visually like the starman assist trophy's teleport, personally.
I see how that could work but the starman assist trophy teleport is more based on the starmen way of teleporting/moving around, so I imagine it being a little different considering it's ninten's

Using native sound effect for characters where possible (especially Ness and Lucas since Mother has such crunchy, satisfying sound effects) has always been something I thought would really elevate Smash's attention to detail to another level. It's an especially good point in Ninten's case where there aren't any visuals to really lean on.
like the heroes from dragon quest, they use their critical hit sound effects from their original games, the little sound when you run out of mp, ninten could do that but with every special he has and he could even have the "SMAAAASH!!!" sound effect for landing a fully charged smash/when landing one that kills.

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
i been doing some thinking.
View attachment 266901

I did have an idea of making up a new original signature move called PK Music, which takes the form of musical notes. I thought of it as a reference to the Eight Melodies and how EarthBound Beginnings had more of a musical theme.

There's also PK Techno from that one fan remake.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
I was just thinking of square based PSI sparks rather than actual pixels. It'd be kinda odd if his attacks were all pixelated when compared to Ness and Lucas.
Looking closer at Ness and Lucas, they each have 2 primary colors to their attacks. Ness's are primarily pink with a hint of green, while Lucas's are primarily blue with a hint of yellow. Thus, I'd go with purple as Ninten's primary PSI sparkle color. I'd also have the PSI sparkle effects flicker at a rapid pace as a nod to the way PSI attacks are represented in game: bright colors flickering the whole screen.
yeah, that last part is pretty brilliant, goes in the style of how the effects should characteristicly display out hypothetically in Smash.
Squares can actually work too.

and there's another idea for the shape of Ninten's PSI attacks that popped up:
in the GBA port of Mother 1/EB Beginnings, the Eight Melodies backdrop effect is full of waves or "ripples" instead of the original transition in the background being all straight lines.
1586233235696.png
1586233250411.png

imagine if we took note of that and make his PSI effect looking like round ripples...

I did have an idea of making up a new original signature move called PK Music, which takes the form of musical notes. I thought of it as a reference to the Eight Melodies and how EarthBound Beginnings had more of a musical theme.

There's also PK Techno from that one fan remake.
this is something to vigorously consider! (and would mix pretty well with the ripple idea too~ ;D)

Podunk_boy

Smash Cadet
I think giving ninten his own psi attack is kind of a bad idea, at that point it isn't really ninten, it would be another ness but instead of using a yoyo it's a boomerang.

Top Bottom