• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

D

Deleted member

Have you guys seen this? It's a scene from a new Disney Channel show called Amphibia. Pretty cool that even Disney aknowledges Earthbound.

Also, are you guys really going to give up? :(
Man, that's awesome lol (I feel like I'm seeing a lot more Earthbound these days).

And nah, I'm still ain't givin' up

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I was in a state of negativity and depression when the """Hero""" was revealed. But I recovered from it and eventually remember the fact that they've apparently found multiple empty character slots in the game's data.

This means that we may be getting a second DLC roster with Smash is still being relatively new and the Nintendo Switch also having a loooong life ahead of itself. Which indicates that Nintendo may most likely want to continue supporting Ultimate, and no one had confirmed that there won't be more DLC after the first Fighter's Pass.

So yeah, worst case scenario, we get echo fighters. And I would not mind the idea at all since Ninten has potential for a unique fighter, semi close and echo.
Best case scenario, we get more unique fighters and they're focusing on first parties, maybe even focusing on series that did not get new fighters.
If this happened, this would mean that we would have F-Zero, Kirby, MOTHER / EarthBound and Pikmin being some of the more probable targets, since they've been around as part of the Smash roster for longer. So wether we get unique fighters or echoes, EarthBound would definitely be one of the series that would receive some content, specially with Smash and Sakurai noticing the first MOTHER since Smash 64 with Ness' shirt being longer on one side, a clear nod to Ninten's design.

And as I once said before (unless memory fails me), the redesign of Ninten could later be used for a future MOTHER remake. And by getting that remake, we could get MOTHER 2 and MOTHER 3 remake, therefore getting MOTHER 3 localized on a 3D remake for the Nintendo Switch on top of that.

Does this mean Ninten is the key to MOTHER 3's localization? Time for every MOTHER fan to unite, our chance to shine may be getting closer.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

This is making the rounds on Twitter right now after Smash announced a Mother-themed spirit board to coincide with the 30th anniversary. Apparently it uses unknown sunflower art that doesn't have a clear source since Mother 3 never created any artwork for its game. While the clouds have been identified as coming from Tortimer Island's, this is a weird exception. Obviously speculation got around fast that it could be leaked from a future Mother project like a Mother 3 localization, but since they've already taken .pngs from fan websites before (the pre-v2.0 Masked Man spirit sprite had a small artifact on the helmet that was not in the original sprite), I would not be surprised if this was either just very obscure fanwork yet again or if they drew the sunflowers specifically for the promotional image.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
So, a live presentation for Hero's release date just got announced. I'm probably delusional, but I have a feeling Ninten will be announced as an Echo there. Hear my conspiracy theory out.

This presentation, and presumably Hero's release, is happening in July 2019. Mother's 30th anniversary is happening in the same month. Both Dragon Quest and Mother debuted on the Famicom, with the first Mother game arguably being a parody of DQ in some ways, particularly the combat. This makes Erdrick from DQIII, Solo from DQIV, and Ninten from EB:B share a status as Famicom JRPG protagonists. With this in mind, their release in the same update is pretty fitting.

As for why I think any Echo announcement is possible, consider the circumstances of this upcoming presentation. This is a video (presumably prerecorded) estimated at 22 minutes in length presented by Masahiro Sakurai. Compare this with Joker's "New Content Approaching" video, which had both the first reveal of Joker in-game and the reveal of Stage Builder. Both of these are very big deals, but the video wasn't livestreamed for some reason, and it didn't feature Sakurai. It was just dropped on a Tuesday evening out of the blue.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the Hero's video will announce even more content than Joker's, but it does imply that there's something in Hero's video that warrants being livestreamed. Gameplay and new mode reveals didn't cut it, so the only thing it makes sense for them to announce live is a new character. It would be way too soon to announce Challenger Pack #4, so the most we can expect is an Echo Fighter. This is the thing I'm most confident about, but there's no real reason to expect it to be Ninten besides timing.

This has been a particularly specific dream scenario of mine for months, so please excuse my enthusiasm. I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I don't particularly mind. This recent announcement just feels like one step closer to that dream becoming reality.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, a live presentation for Hero's release date just got announced. I'm probably delusional, but I have a feeling Ninten will be announced as an Echo there. Hear my conspiracy theory out.

This presentation, and presumably Hero's release, is happening in July 2019. Mother's 30th anniversary is happening in the same month. Both Dragon Quest and Mother debuted on the Famicom, with the first Mother game arguably being a parody of DQ in some ways, particularly the combat. This makes Erdrick from DQIII, Solo from DQIV, and Ninten from EB:B share a status as Famicom JRPG protagonists. With this in mind, their release in the same update is pretty fitting.

As for why I think any Echo announcement is possible, consider the circumstances of this upcoming presentation. This is a video (presumably prerecorded) estimated at 22 minutes in length presented by Masahiro Sakurai. Compare this with Joker's "New Content Approaching" video, which had both the first reveal of Joker in-game and the reveal of Stage Builder. Both of these are very big deals, but the video wasn't livestreamed for some reason, and it didn't feature Sakurai. It was just dropped on a Tuesday evening out of the blue.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the Hero's video will announce even more content than Joker's, but it does imply that there's something in Hero's video that warrants being livestreamed. Gameplay and new mode reveals didn't cut it, so the only thing it makes sense for them to announce live is a new character. It would be way too soon to announce Challenger Pack #4, so the most we can expect is an Echo Fighter. This is the thing I'm most confident about, but there's no real reason to expect it to be Ninten besides timing.

This has been a particularly specific dream scenario of mine for months, so please excuse my enthusiasm. I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I don't particularly mind. This recent announcement just feels like one step closer to that dream becoming reality.
While I would like Ninten getting in at all, I hope he'd be an echo of Lucas with his normal attacks being based on Ness with some originals. Things from Ness and Lucas don't really fit him, while the other echoes make sense at least (even if Dark Samus has unique attacks in Metroid Prime)...

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Here's a stage I designed based on the Ellay Live House scene. If only they included "All I Needed was You" as a song.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I thought of an idea for Ninten's dodge animation. Similar to how Mewtwo uses Teleport, I was thinking Ninten could evade attacks using his 4-D Slip.

But let me know what you think. Should he use 4-D Slip for his dodge maneuvers or would you rather keep it simple and have the animations similar to Ness and Lucas?

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I thought of an idea for Ninten's dodge animation. Similar to how Mewtwo uses Teleport, I was thinking Ninten could evade attacks using his 4-D Slip.

But let me know what you think. Should he use 4-D Slip for his dodge maneuvers or would you rather keep it simple and have the animations similar to Ness and Lucas?
I actually shared this idea in detail before in the past. I think he should use it, wether it has any effect in gameplay or not, I don't really care.
If it actually had any effect, I remember saying that they would make Ninten travel a bigger distance than any regular air dodge while the rolls would also be the ones that travel the most distance. All at the cost of them being one if not the slowest roll.

But hey, if he's a DLC character for Ultimate then I would not mind if they made his rolls the best in the game. Since DLC characters tend to be strong unless they're returning characters.

Last edited:

Auraseth

Smash Rookie
HEY GUYS!!! how has everyone been! I've decided to rejoin, I took a small break to focus on personal stuff...but if I'm being honest...I really missed talking about mother and ninten, I thought today would be a good day to come back because (drum roll) THERES GONNA BE A SEASON 2 FOR DLC! And there's still one more character to be announced...so this means there's another season of dlc! Idk why but I got excited, obviously ninten is confirmed or anything but maybe this next wave will be fighters from the games already in smash, instead of fighters from different games like the first 5 dlc?? I think it's definitely possible, and if that's the case we could see more characters for games like Sonic, Pacman and maybe Mother???? O.O

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Man, good to see this thread pop back up. We need to be loud if we want Ninten in.

I think our chances are best as an Echo and given how all of a sudden we got a Mii Costume with a remix I don't think a bonus Echo is that far-fetched.

Auraseth

Smash Rookie
Man, good to see this thread pop back up. We need to be loud if we want Ninten in.

I think our chances are best as an Echo and given how all of a sudden we got a Mii Costume with a remix I don't think a bonus Echo is that far-fetched.
I'd take that! Obviously I'd prefer a unique character but!! Id definitely accept an echo! Especially if it's like what they did with chrom, making him slight different

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd take that! Obviously I'd prefer a unique character but!! Id definitely accept an echo! Especially if it's like what they did with chrom, making him slight different
A Chrom or Ken style Echo is I think the perfect compromise.

Auraseth

Smash Rookie
I'd take anything tbh haha did you see the sans Mii costume??? When I saw it online I thought he was an actual character! I was OH MY GOD haha still to even include undertake in smash at all is interesting

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Well, with the Second Wave DLC announced, I'm still cautiously optimistic for Ninten. I just hope there's more Nintendo characters this time around (that's my two cents).

Sorry if I'm late with this message BTW.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I have to say... I always felt that a Mother game simply couldn't roll with a more-than-8bit artsyle. But as I'm playing Link's Awakening, I feel that any of the Mother games would look absolutely fantastic with a similar approach, specifically Earthbound. The vibrant colors would work really well in Eagleland.

Either way, I'd be happy to see Ninten. Not sure how much love Mother can be shown by Nintendo anymore but I'd take anything!

Last edited:

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet
Sad to see that this thread slowed down so much while I was away, but hopefully we can kick things back up now that a second wave of DLC has been confirmed. Hopefully posting this isn't considered necroposting, since it's been a good two weeks.

I've had a lot of mixed feelings on whether I'd prefer Ninten or Porky to get in, but at this point, I'd honestly take any rep we can get.

I have to say... I always felt that a Mother game simply couldn't roll with a more-than-8bit artsyle. But as I'm playing Link's Awakening, I feel that any of the Mother games would look absolutely fantastic with a similar approach, specifically Earthbound. The vibrant colors would work really well in Eagleland.

Either way, I'd be happy to see Ninten. Not sure how much love Mother can be shown by Nintendo anymore but I'd take anything!
I originally was firmly against the idea of making a Mother game in any sort of 3D-style. But after seeing Link's Awakening, as well as the scrapped EarthBound game that I think was going to be on the GameCube (the one that kind of has the felt look), realized that it wouldn't be entirely impossible to make that work out. I've always been concerned about the games losing their charm that way, but maybe these styles would do it some justice.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Come on guys, don’t give up yet! With more DLC characters on the way, you might be closer than you think...

Here, I hope this can bring more inspiration/motivation to the thread:
4C064529-EF85-4619-9816-90ABEACFC70F.jpeg

Just remember, no crying until the end!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey y'all, can't believe it's been a year since I first joined the sight to post on this thread lol...

I just wanted to check back into the thread (since I'm pretty busy now and probably won't be on the sight much), but I'm still always hoping for Ninten and a Mother announcement (Mother trilogy remake pls lol).

No crying until the end!

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
“Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old, or whether the character is recognizable to everyone.”

Welp, that's a plus! :grin:

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well it's been about 5,000 years...

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

But I'm back. And not dead. I hope none of yall completely threw in the towel. ;) I had to take a long mental health break, speculation was really taking a toll on me and I really needed some space away from the fandom after going hardcore from July 2018 to June of this year. (I was insane before Smashboards lmao.) Also, I've wanted to post here for quite a while now, but could never think of the proper thing to say. I still can't think of the proper thing to say outside apologizing for how long it's been. I missed posting here. The one place that tolerated my insane ramblings heh. Might have another one soon, who knows.

“Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old, or whether the character is recognizable to everyone.”

Welp, that's a plus! :grin:
Pretty great news if you ask me. Especially if you're like me and have a wishlist of literal whos heh.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh wow, people are coming back to this thread. That's cool, getting the band back together.

Anyway, I feel like next season could bring anything, so fingers crossed for Ninten!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Oh wow, people are coming back to this thread. That's cool, getting the band back together.

Anyway, I feel like next season could bring anything, so fingers crossed for Ninten!
Anything is possible my good man. I got a good feeling about what's to come soon.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
As the resident jaded mother fan, I still don't like Ninten's chances, but I'll be supporting him 100% until the end.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys, so I've been thinking. Whether Ninten stands a great chance of being added in post pass DLC or not, there is something we have to do. We NEED to expand the fanbase. Now, I agree, Mother 1 is a hard game to get into, especially with its more famous younger siblings. And the character is often brushed off. But we need to try, and to help get the complicated character across, I've made a Google Doc that I'm treating as a comprehensive guide to the character. Where he's from, what his game is like, how he fights, and what his DLC might bring to Smash, including potential stages, music (including a particular fantastic remix of Poltergeist mixed with Battle With a Dangerous Foe that I highly recommend), Spirits, and Mii Costumes.

What I suggest is helping me edit and expand the guide, then passing it around, getting people to know about the character. Remember, a lot of the other characters were once small, niche choices, and we have a headstart thanks to our character's series actually being in Smash. All we need is to expand our rank and we'll get in. The Document as it stands right now. Be wary, it's a long read, but that's because I put a lot of time into this.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Alright guys, so I've been thinking. Whether Ninten stands a great chance of being added in post pass DLC or not, there is something we have to do. We NEED to expand the fanbase. Now, I agree, Mother 1 is a hard game to get into, especially with its more famous younger siblings. And the character is often brushed off. But we need to try, and to help get the complicated character across, I've made a Google Doc that I'm treating as a comprehensive guide to the character. Where he's from, what his game is like, how he fights, and what his DLC might bring to Smash, including potential stages, music (including a particular fantastic remix of Poltergeist mixed with Battle With a Dangerous Foe that I highly recommend), Spirits, and Mii Costumes.

What I suggest is helping me edit and expand the guide, then passing it around, getting people to know about the character. Remember, a lot of the other characters were once small, niche choices, and we have a headstart thanks to our character's series actually being in Smash. All we need is to expand our rank and we'll get in. The Document as it stands right now. Be wary, it's a long read, but that's because I put a lot of time into this.
The VC release was a start to get more people aware of the first game, which has long been the red-headed stepchild of the series.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Hey there! I've seeingn that other people have come back to say that they're not giving up on Ninten. I may not be very present in this thread but just remember that I'm still rooting for Ninten to be in Smash over everyone else, just like you guys.

As I've previously said somewhere in this thread, if a DLC wave happens with echo fighters, Ninten definitely fits that role perfectly while also being able to bring abilities from MOTHER 1 like PK Beam replacing PK Fire.

So yeah, I hope that everyone has a good day / evening / night. Once we get confirmation of DLC characters being first parties, that's when we'll most likely get a great chance at seeing Ninten in Smash! :ness:

Speaking of which, I found these. They're obviously fake but they're really nice. I think this is how Ninten should look in terms of face and expression. Additionally, this is a good visual representation of how he would look like without a redesign and just using his original design while still being different from Ness's design.
1574886009595.png

1574886032315.png

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey there! I've seeingn that other people have come back to say that they're not giving up on Ninten. I may not be very present in this thread but just remember that I'm still rooting for Ninten to be in Smash over everyone else, just like you guys.

As I've previously said somewhere in this thread, if a DLC wave happens with echo fighters, Ninten definitely fits that role perfectly while also being able to bring abilities from MOTHER 1 like PK Beam replacing PK Fire.

So yeah, I hope that everyone has a good day / evening / night. Once we get confirmation of DLC characters being first parties, that's when we'll most likely get a great chance at seeing Ninten in Smash! :ness:

Speaking of which, I found these. They're obviously fake but they're really nice. I think this is how Ninten should look in terms of face and expression. Additionally, this is a good visual representation of how he would look like without a redesign and just using his original design while still being different from Ness's design.
View attachment 248392
View attachment 248393
That's... A really great render! Surprised that I haven't seen it before, must be new.

Top Bottom