• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Icyllya

Smash Rookie
Since the game is out and we know the Mother spirits are in the game’s data, do we actually know if Ninten’s a secondary or primary spirit or actually seen him being labeled as a spirit?

The wiki currently has him down as unclassified.
(I haven’t been paying attention to the evidence for Ninten recently so I have no idea.)

I ask this because with Geno, we know what sort of spirit he is. If Ninten’s a spirit floating around in the data, then that leaves some questions if he’s a fighter, secondary, or primary.

Now I haven’t seen the actual files of the game for myself so I don’t know how everything was filed, but if the spirits were filed based on what they were then there’d be no reason to classify him where they have him.
All we know is that he has an icon. Perhaps they did this as a way to try and deconfirm him until the reveal?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since the game is out and we know the Mother spirits are in the game’s data, do we actually know if Ninten’s a secondary or primary spirit or actually seen him being labeled as a spirit? Or is it still unclassified? The wiki currently has him down as unclassified. (I haven’t been paying attention to the evidence for Ninten recently so I have no idea.)

I ask this because with Geno, we know what sort of spirit he is. If he’s a spirit floating around in the data, then that leaves some questions if he’s a fighter, secondary, or primary.

Now I haven’t seen the actual files of the game for myself so I don’t know how everything was filed, but if the spirits were filed based on what they were then there’d be no reason to unclassify he him.
That's a good point, I'm not sure. According to The Anigriffin The Anigriffin , Ana was classified as an Ace spirit, I am not sure what class her spirit is (spirits mode is confusing lol). Ninten could be a legendary spirit, and I think he could be a primary. Not sure though

Icyllya

Smash Rookie
So I have a bit of an update.
I have found the boy. He is, indeed, a spirit.
However something intriguing is that each fighter have a spirt of their original self and their smash self.

I’m gonna put on my tinfoil hat and say that spirits don’t deconfirm fighters. What I’m thinking is that once a spirit becomes DLC, they either, keep their spirit and don’t become playable in world of light but will be playable in spirits mode, or remove their spirits effect once they become playable. This is due to the fact that multiple spirits have both the same rank and effect. If this is true then if someone were to lose that spirit on their main guy, they could always use a different spirit with the same rank and effect. Alternatively they could make a spirit for their home game and one for their smash rendition. Especially if certain characters are getting a touch up like Ninten possibly could.

Not only that but I’m pretty sure it’s been confirmed that Spirits were worked on before the DLC had been decided. Using theories such as Porky and Sylus aren’t in the game yet therefore they’re playable doesn’t work either because as Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee have proved, spirits can be added overtime, especially if they go along with game releases. It’s very well possible that Sylus and Porky are waiting to be released due to their upcoming games, that is IF what Verge said is true and we get a Mother 3 release. I don’t think Verge getting one thing wrong proves he’s not a reliable source and he just got bad info. He’s got a better track record to back him up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

However something intriguing is that each fighter have a spirt of their original self and their smash self.

I’m gonna put on my tinfoil hat and say that spirits don’t deconfirm fighters. What I’m thinking is that once a spirit becomes DLC, they either, keep their spirit and don’t become playable in world of light but will be playable in spirits mode, or remove their spirits effect once they become playable. This is due to the fact that multiple spirits have both the same rank and effect. If this is true then if someone were to lose that spirit on their main guy, they could always use a different spirit with the same rank and effect. Alternatively they could make a spirit for their home game and one for their smash rendition. Especially if certain characters are getting a touch up like Ninten possibly could.

Not only that but I’m pretty sure it’s been confirmed that Spirits were worked on before the DLC had been decided. Using theories such as Porky and Sylus aren’t in the game yet therefore they’re playable doesn’t work either because as Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee have proved, spirits can be added overtime, especially if they go along with game releases. It’s very well possible that Sylus and Porky are waiting to be released due to their upcoming games, that is IF what Verge said is true and we get a Mother 3 release. I don’t think Verge getting one thing wrong proves he’s not a reliable source and he just got bad info. He’s got a better track record to back him up.
I think if spirits did deconfirm DLC fighters, it would have been said by now. I think Sakurai would have said that the DLC fighters are not spirits in the November direct if spirits really did deconfirm. And yes, the Pikachu and Eevee spirits were added overtime, and I don't think Sakurai and Nintendo would want to waste time making a spirit of an already playable character if spirits deconfirm

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I think if spirits did deconfirm DLC fighters, it would have been said by now. I think Sakurai would have said that the DLC fighters are not spirits in the November direct if spirits really did deconfirm. And yes, the Pikachu and Eevee spirits were added overtime, and I don't think Sakurai and Nintendo would want to waste time making a spirit of an already playable character if spirits deconfirm
Yeah spirits don't deconfirm but it's been implied that DLC will be surprising so I doubt there's gonna be characters that already are present in the game somehow. Just like it was with Joker.

D

Deleted member

Yeah spirits don't deconfirm but it's been implied that DLC will be surprising so I doubt there's gonna be characters that already are present in the game somehow. Just like it was with Joker.
Since DLC is surprising, it actually makes sense that spirits don't deconfirm, because then there are so many options

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Since DLC is surprising, it actually makes sense that spirits don't deconfirm, because then there are so many options
Well, there's still many options not many thought of. I didn't hear much of Joker despite being completely absent in base. We'll see.

D

Deleted member

Well, there's still many options not many thought of. I didn't hear much of Joker despite being completely absent in base. We'll see.
Yeah. Remember during the Brawl days, on the Smash Dojo, the description for Lucas was, "Ness has been playable up until this point. Now, Lucas is playable!" People thought this implied that Ness was deconfirmed, but that definitely wasn't the case. I think there will be some unexpected picks, but it doesn't mean expected characters are out of the running

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Is he a 4 Star? I'm sorta curious. Also yeah spirits deconfirming is a terrible theory. They're honestly just SSBU's equivalent of trophies.

Also keep in mind Reggie said unexpected characters to the audience of the game awards. The average gamer doesn't know much about Persona, and if Joker says anything it's that he's a pick to please a fanbase rather than a character existing for no reason outside being a shill.

I've got a lot on my mind. Give me a few days (Preferably until finals are done) and I'll hopefully come up with an updated theory, but I will say this: He's not out of this race yet folks. Hang in there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pray for Ninten everyone :)

Is he a 4 Star? I'm sorta curious. Also yeah spirits deconfirming is a terrible theory. They're honestly just SSBU's equivalent of trophies.

Also keep in mind Reggie said unexpected characters to the audience of the game awards. The average gamer doesn't know much about Persona, and if Joker says anything it's that he's a pick to please a fanbase rather than a character existing for no reason outside being a shill.

I've got a lot on my mind. Give me a few days (Preferably until finals are done) and I'll hopefully come up with an updated theory, but I will say this: He's not out of this race yet folks. Hang in there.
So a video of all the spirits came, and Geno and Ninten are legendary spirits!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Alright, just a small update, so after speaking with friends about EB spirits it's come to my attention the EB legendary spirits (According to my friend) are the following:

Jeff
Ness's Dad
Hinawa
Absoulely Safe Capsue
Ninten

Seeing that the ASC is a 4 Star, I think it's safe to say that the spirit is Porky.

Also Ness's Dad and Hinawa are parents to their respective kids in Smash so perhaps that's why they're 4 Star?

Jeff I hear is a nightmare to fight, so that might be why he's 4 Star.

Kinda intersting how Porky and Ninten, the most likely EB characters for Smash are both 4 Stars.

Now I just need to see these Spirit Battles.

D

Deleted member

Alright, just a small update, so after speaking with friends about EB spirits it's come to my attention the EB legendary spirits (According to my friend) are the following:

Jeff
Ness's Dad
Hinawa
Absoulely Safe Capsue
Ninten

Seeing that the ASC is a 4 Star, I think it's safe to say that the spirit is Porky.

Also Ness's Dad and Hinawa are parents to their respective kids in Smash so perhaps that's why they're 4 Star?

Kinda intersting how Porky and Ninten, the most likely EB characters for Smash are both 4 Stars.

I think Claus is a legendary too. His spirit battle is probably just Lucas with his Claus alt lol

I think Paula is as well

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I think Claus is a legendary too. His spirit battle is probably just Lucas with his Claus alt lol

I think Paula is as well
Jeez just make them all legendaries at this point lmao. If you can find out for sure if they're 4-Star can you let me know?

If Claus is a legendary but Masked Man isn't I'm gonna die laughing.

D

Deleted member

Jeez just make them all legendaries at this point lmao. If you can find out for sure if they're 4-Star can you let me know?

If Claus is a legendary but Masked Man isn't I'm gonna die laughing.
Then I think you are going to laugh, hard :D

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Then I think you are going to laugh, hard :D
Man now I'm really looking forward to seeing this. It's hard when you don't have a Switch for the next 15 days.

Would you or any other Ninten fan be interested in a Fatmanonice style State of the Ninten Address? If you give me a bit of time I'll probably be able to compile a decent one (Stupid finals which should all be done by Friday are getting in the way.) that goes over our boy's current status.

D

Deleted member

Man now I'm really looking forward to seeing this. It's hard when you don't have a Switch for the next 15 days.

Would you or any other Ninten fan be interested in a Fatmanonice style State of the Ninten Address? If you give me a bit of time I'll probably be able to compile a decent one (Stupid finals which should all be done by Friday are getting in the way.) that goes over our boy's current status.
I would definitely be interested :) Don't rush yourself tho

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Jeff
Ness's Dad
Hinawa
Absoulely Safe Capsue
Ninten

Believe me, Jeff is hella hard. You need specific Spirits and a strategy to beat him.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So friends of mine have found both Ana’s spirit battle as well as the Flying Man’s.

Still no sign of the boy.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I've currently beat the first section of World of Light, and have not come across Ninten yet (I'd say I'm mid-way through the mode).

Jeff's battle is super hard because:

You have 3 inklings jumping around and shooting while the Jeff assist trophy frequently comes on top of the cars that speed through Onett.

However, if you're skilled enough, you could get through most spirit battles by exploiting Kirby's down special. Probably not the intended way of going through the mode, but I still use it if I'm losing over and over.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I've currently beat the first section of World of Light, and have not come across Ninten yet (I'd say I'm mid-way through the mode).

Jeff's battle is super hard because:

You have 3 inklings jumping around and shooting while the Jeff assist trophy frequently comes on top of the cars that speed through Onett.

However, if you're skilled enough, you could get through most spirit battles by exploiting Kirby's down special. Probably not the intended way of going through the mode, but I still use it if I'm losing over and over.
Can’t wait to get anhillated when I eventually get the game.

Super weird that no one I know found Ninten yet...

D

Deleted member

Can’t wait to get anhillated when I eventually get the game.

Super weird that no one I know found Ninten yet...
I know, I am DYING to see his spirit battle. It's confirmed to be in the game, but where tf is it

D

Deleted member

The Anigriffin The Anigriffin

Wait a sec. Sakurai says creating a character takes a year, yes. Keep in mind that this article came out before Smash 4 got released so he was talking about creating characters in the main development process.

As for DLC, there's not much more to do for the team but creating characters and releasing balancing patches. Sure, the team got shrinked down a bit probably. But it's fairly obvious that a DLC character won't need so much time because they have more resources to create him.

I have to admit, you made many good points as of why Ninten's chances are not as bad as I thought they would of been, but I hope noone here is really expecting him. Keep your hopes up high though :)
Nauzgo: "I hope noone here is really expecting him."

Reggie Fils-Aime: "The DLC characters will be unexpected, like Joker."

:D

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Praying that the remaining three days of my semester go smoothly. Then I'll be able to actually put together Slideshow MK III or just a short research essay, whatever comes first.

How many EarthBound spirits have you guys found? There's 28 of those suckers and I'm quite curious as to how they function in battle.

D

Deleted member

Praying that the remaining three days of my semester go smoothly. Then I'll be able to actually put together Slideshow MK III or just a short research essay, whatever comes first.

How many EarthBound spirits have you guys found? There's 28 of those suckers and I'm quite curious as to how they function in battle.
There are actually 30 EB spirits! I have found Ana, Teddy, Flying Man, Starman, Jeff, Ness's dad (telephone), Master Belch, Buzz Buzz, Ramblin Evil Mushroom, and Duster. I still have 20 left to find lol

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
There are actually 30 EB spirits! I have found Ana, Teddy, Flying Man, Starman, Jeff, Ness's dad (telephone), Master Belch, Buzz Buzz, Ramblin Evil Mushroom, and Duster. I still have 20 left to find lol
...There's 30?

Well this is certainly news to me. I only see 28 on the Smash wiki.

D

Deleted member

...There's 30?

Well this is certainly news to me. I only see 28 on the Smash wiki.
I know! And there are numerous legendaries! Ninten, Paula, Jeff, Ness's dad (telephone), Hinawa, ASC, and Claus are all legendaries. A lot of them are aces too, such as Ana, Loid, EVE, Flying Man, Poo, Mr. Saturn, Ultimate (heh) Chimera, and Masked Man

The Anigriffin The Anigriffin could you explain the music icon theory here?

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Okay for some reason I never got the post notification here. So that’s lame.

Music icon theory eh? From my understanding, when you have all unique franchises music unlocked, there are three spaces left on the bottom. If Box Theory taught us anything, this most likely means that 3 DLC characters will be from new franchises. Joker is one, so that leaves two new franchises. This implies the remaining two will be from franchises already present in Smash.

The question now is, which two franchises willl they be?

D

Deleted member

Okay for some reason I never got the post notification here. So that’s lame.

Music icon theory eh? From my understanding, when you have all unique franchises music unlocked, there are three spaces left on the bottom. If Box Theory taught us anything, this most likely means that 3 DLC characters will be from new franchises. Joker is one, so that leaves two new franchises. This implies the remaining two will be from franchises already present in Smash.

The question now is, which two franchises willl they be?
Mario and Mother.

Geno and Ninten

D

Deleted member

Best timeline, and somehow a fairly likely one.
Yes. Also, about the EB music, the Magicant/Eight Melodies track is there, but they chose to make a new and separate remix of Magicant, and not 8 melodies. The victory theme for Ness and Lucas is the final 2 melodies of the 8 melodies from Mother 1, but the 8 melodies doesn't exist as it's own track, instead combined with Magicant, which has it's own track.

Title theme from Mother 1 is gone too, so maybe Title theme, 8 melodies, and another EBB track is in the pass.

About the Ninten spirit, I thought of something. There is a spirit of Link that is simply labeled "Link (The Legend of Zelda)." It is Link, and every game he appears in is part of The Legend of Zelda series, so it's odd to be this vague about a spirit. He uses his classic tunic in the spirit, not the BotW outfit. For Ninten, he uses his clay model as a spirit, which is his blue and yellow striped shirt. What if they made his model if he is a fighter him wearing a bandana and a white, blue, and red shirt? This would be no different from the Link spirit and BotW playable Link situation. That Link spirit is not a fighter spirit btw

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yes. Also, about the EB music, the Magicant/Eight Melodies track is there, but they chose to make a new and separate remix of Magicant, and not 8 melodies. The victory theme for Ness and Lucas is the final 2 melodies of the 8 melodies from Mother 1, but the 8 melodies doesn't exist as it's own track, instead combined with Magicant, which has it's own track.

Title theme from Mother 1 is gone too, so maybe Title theme, 8 melodies, and another EBB track is in the pass.

About the Ninten spirit, I thought of something. There is a spirit of Link that is simply labeled "Link (The Legend of Zelda)." It is Link, and every game he appears in is part of The Legend of Zelda series, so it's odd to be this vague about a spirit. He uses his classic tunic in the spirit, not the BotW outfit. For Ninten, he uses his clay model as a spirit, which is his blue and yellow striped shirt. What if they made his model if he is a fighter him wearing a bandana and a white, blue, and red shirt? This would be no different from the Link spirit and BotW playable Link situation. That Link spirit is not a fighter spirit btw
Yes the music choices for SSBU for EB are a bit... Odd to me. Both mixes are remixes of tracks already in game, (Hell both versions of Fourside even have the EB Eight Melodies sprinkled in the composition) and Mother 1's Magicant with a suspicious lack of the EB0 Eight Melodies. Even stranger to me was the fact that the blog never posted either Mother track. If it were like Starfox or Xenoblade where they either lacked new tracks period or all their new tracks were originals ripped from the game, I'd be singing a different tune, but they're not. Pikmin got music posted, and I wouldn't call Pikmin as a series super "hype"and that Yoshi mix was the ONLY new Yoshi track in the entire game so I'm honestly baffled as to why they didn't post a Mother track on the blog.

That being said, EB music in SSBU has been suspicious since the August direct. Ever since that Twitter post mentioning that they couldn't record Ness's victory theme I immediately went "Wait what." And that situation gets even stranger when you realize all the Zelda characters in the demo, Corrin, and Ridley ALSO got new victory themes but there was nothing preventing them from being recorded. Even stranger, Onett and New Pork City were both present since the E3 demo and Onett was the stage that wasn't allowed to be recorded back then. So it can't just be Mother music as a whole that couldn't be recorded.

The new Mother victory theme is a whole new level of bizarre. Like you said it's from Mother 1, but why change the victory theme to a Mother 1 track when there's no Mother 1 character? Especially since the last track was from Mother 1 to begin with. Corrin, Lucina, and King K. Rool's new victory themes come from rewly remixed tracks present in Ultimate. Zelda and Metroid's were the original ones slightly remixed. Mother's is neither of these. So... What's up with that? Sakurai explain.

Wasn't there an Original Pit spirit too? Seeing that a separete team made the spirits, I don't think the deconfimation argument hold much water anymore. And another possible fighter spirit for Ninten could be his in game sprite if they're super lazy.

Hmm. You know, I myself was thinking about the possibility of Commercial Ninten being his possible Smash design. I know there's the whole "It's a fanon design" argument which is objectively false if past merchandising is brought up. Not only that, but Ness's render looking identical to the Smash Wii U fake leak render shows that Sakurai and the developers pay attention to the fans. (Just not Isaac fans it seems sadly)

Honestly, there's enough suspicious happenings that you kinda can't ignore them. I'll be sure to make slideshow Mk IV or a State of the Ninten address soon. Don't give up Ninten friends.

D

Deleted member

Yes the music choices for SSBU for EB are a bit... Odd to me. Both mixes are remixes of tracks already in game, (Hell both versions of Fourside even have the EB Eight Melodies sprinkled in the composition) and Mother 1's Magicant with a suspicious lack of the EB0 Eight Melodies. Even stranger to me was the fact that the blog never posted either Mother track. If it were like Starfox or Xenoblade where they either lacked new tracks period or all their new tracks were originals ripped from the game, I'd be singing a different tune, but they're not. Pikmin got music posted, and I wouldn't call Pikmin as a series super "hype"and that Yoshi mix was the ONLY new Yoshi track in the entire game so I'm honestly baffled as to why they didn't post a Mother track on the blog.

That being said, EB music in SSBU has been suspicious since the August direct. Ever since that Twitter post mentioning that they couldn't record Ness's victory theme I immediately went "Wait what." And that situation gets even stranger when you realize all the Zelda characters in the demo, Corrin, and Ridley ALSO got new victory themes but there was nothing preventing them from being recorded. Even stranger, Onett and New Pork City were both present since the E3 demo and Onett was the stage that wasn't allowed to be recorded back then. So it can't just be Mother music as a whole that couldn't be recorded.

The new Mother victory theme is a whole new level of bizarre. Like you said it's from Mother 1, but why change the victory theme to a Mother 1 track when there's no Mother 1 character? Especially since the last track was from Mother 1 to begin with. Corrin, Lucina, and King K. Rool's new victory themes come from rewly remixed tracks present in Ultimate. Zelda and Metroid's were the original ones slightly remixed. Mother's is neither of these. So... What's up with that? Sakurai explain.

Wasn't there an Original Pit spirit too? Seeing that a separete team made the spirits, I don't think the deconfimation argument hold much water anymore. And another possible fighter spirit for Ninten could be his in game sprite if they're super lazy.

Hmm. You know, I myself was thinking about the possibility of Commercial Ninten being his possible Smash design. I know there's the whole "It's a fanon design" argument which is objectively false if past merchandising is brought up. Not only that, but Ness's render looking identical to the Smash Wii U fake leak render shows that Sakurai and the developers pay attention to the fans. (Just not Isaac fans it seems sadly)

Honestly, there's enough suspicious happenings that you kinda can't ignore them. I'll be sure to make slideshow Mk IV or a State of the Ninten address soon. Don't give up Ninten friends.
Yes, there is a Pit (Original) spirit. Pokemon also got a new victory theme. Both Pokemon and Mother's rights are shared with The Pokemon Company and Shigesato Itoi respectively, so if it was a case of rights holders and new victory themes, Pokemon's victory theme would have been copyrighted.

> Both series have shared rights
> Both series have a new victory theme
> Mother series' victory theme is not allowed to be recorded but Pokemon's is
Why

A theory I have is that a new Pokemon rep for the base roster was known, so the Pokemon theme was allowed to be recorded. A new Mother rep may have been unknown by everyone except the higher-ups at Nintendo, since a new one may be saved for DLC!

Add in: And Corrin too. Fire Emblem's rights are shared with Intelligent Systems and he got a new victory theme. Maybe it wasn't copyrighted since it was known that it would get a new rep for the base roster. My theory is that it is also very doubtful that Pokemon and DE are getting new reps as DLC. There was no reason for the Mother victory theme to not be recorded if Pokemon and FE's could be recorded

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Not really related to any kind of discussion, but is Earthbound Beginnings worth playing? I know Mother 3 is the one everybody says I should play but I don't like emulating games. If Ninten (or some other mother character) gets in as DLC I might get around to playing it.

D

Deleted member

Not really related to any kind of discussion, but is Earthbound Beginnings worth playing? I know Mother 3 is the one everybody says I should play but I don't like emulating games. If Ninten (or some other mother character) gets in as DLC I might get around to playing it.
Earthbound Beginnings is worth playing

Top Bottom