• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Zeox

Smash Champion
Made a bit of a discovery while slogging through a Smash U facebook group, since someone posted this.

I'm extremely conflicted --- Mostly because I don't have a lot of information on this particular guy, and also for another reason but I'll get into that in a bit. Point is, the reasoning for this could make or break Ninten being "Brave". Not necessarily destroy his odds of being DLC altogether, but "Brave" in particular.

I would like some clarification as to who this is, because some people are saying this is a prominent Smash director, while others are saying he hasn't been involved in Smash's development since Melee.

And second of all, referring to Erdrick's shield as being "The brave's shield": This could be implying that it's "Brave", or the hype could just be a side effect of people not realizing that this is a Japanese fan of the Dragon Quest games who would probably refer to Erdrick as "Brave", since I believe that was his name ("Yuusha") in the Japanese version of the game?

Some people are also speculating that this is intentionally being done to throw people off, but that's just guesswork.

Things might be up in the air for now.

This wouldn't be the first time people took his posts as confirmations, check out these two:
Yet there's no Goku or Skull Kid in Smash. Would be pretty dumb to tease a character that people are already expecting because of "leaks"... could also be a red herring or a reference to that Dragon Quest character that made it into Jump Force.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This wouldn't be the first time people took his posts as confirmations, check out these two:
Yet there's no Goku or Skull Kid in Smash. Would be pretty dumb to tease a character that people are already expecting because of "leaks"... could also be a red herring or a reference to that Dragon Quest character that made it into Jump Force.
Yeah, at this rate Kumazaki will have to stop posting his stuff on Instagram when he realizes that fans keep thinking this means anybody got confirmed for Smash...

But yeah, Dai was indeed added in Jump Force, though referencing him would be more clear-cut if Kuma did own a figure of him.

And as far as I know Kuma wasn't involved with Smash at all until now. Earliest thing he did was taking part in Kirby Air Ride's development (most likely in pre-planning by the time Melee came out), and nowadays he is known as the current Kirby director. The "original game supervisor" credit might just be something as simple as crediting him for the games whose stuff has been included in this game, yet people haven't brought up this credit before the Instagram post came up, not even on the Kirby character threads.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah it means absolutely nothing. Poor dude can't post anything without people thinking it's a Smash hint. Did people just forget that not everything that mentions DQ is mentioning Smash leaks? People can reference it withought it tying to Smash... Honestly this is reminding me of the "Isaac is a lock GET READY" nonsense from last year.

And as far as I know Kuma wasn't involved with Smash at all until now. Earliest thing he did was taking part in Kirby Air Ride's development (most likely in pre-planning by the time Melee came out), and nowadays he is known as the current Kirby director. The "original game supervisor" credit might just be something as simple as crediting him for the games whose stuff has been included in this game, yet people haven't brought up this credit before the Instagram post came up, not even on the Kirby character threads.
Guess they gotta push this weird narrative somehow...

Also I myself made a discovery: DQ doesn’t have a monopoly on the name Yuusha like everyone's been saying.

This tells me that the codename is vague on purpose and isn't nearly as open and shut as everyone thinks. Especially since beforehand everyone was expecting Erdrick since that's the name Verge heard most. (Which is honestly pretty damn sketch since Square is infamous with leakbait from what I heard but that's an entire separate issue.) It also doesn't explain why Brave doesn't play like a Swordfighter at all. Sure the stats can be shifted, but I don't think the entire character is going to have a massive shift in playstyle. Sakurai has to see the character dancing in his head first after all.

TL;DR. The codename could literally mean anyone and that Instagram post is a big nothing.

No reason to go Chicken Little.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It was revealed over on the Agumon support thread that "Brave" has a biological hit sound, implying that "Brave" does not wear armor.

D

Deleted member

It was revealed over on the Agumon support thread that "Brave" has a biological hit sound, implying that "Brave" does not wear armor.
B-but, I thought Ninten would wear the knight's armor.../s

Also, about the instagram post, the guy is only linking the term "brave" with Eddy, it doesn't have anything to do with Smash, and he posted pics of, like Zeox Zeox showed, Skull Kid and Goku.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
The term Hero (or Yuusha) covers a lot of characters. In various media a lot of JRPG silent protagonist are named Hero even though some of them have official names as well, Ninten has been called Boku too (I or myself in Japanese). In my opinion that instagram pic does not mean anything and people are just scratching the bottom of the barrell.
This is from the intro of Persona 4 Golden,they went with Hero for the protagonist,although he is canonically named Yu Narukami.Even in the western release they left Hero.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
The term Hero (or Yuusha) covers a lot of characters. In various media a lot of JRPG silent protagonist are named Hero even though some of them have official names as well, Ninten has been called Boku too (I or myself in Japanese). In my opinion that instagram pic does not mean anything and people are just scratching the bottom of the barrell.
Yeah, people are basically reaching with that image. Especially with that Majora's Mask image he posted at the height of Skull Kid speculation. Could Erdrick be playable? Yes. Is a man's Instagram proof that he is? Not in the slightest.

This is from the intro of Persona 4 Golden,they went with Hero for the protagonist,although he is canonically named Yu Narukami.Even in the western release they left Hero.
Oh **** we gettin two Persona reps. :4pacman:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I've always wondered why there's a Mr Saturn on the characters banner. Before all characters where announced I used to think it was a placeholder for a new Mother character (and I hope it is)

D

Deleted member

I've always wondered why there's a Mr Saturn on the characters banner. Before all characters where announced I used to think it was a placeholder for a new Mother character (and I hope it is)
I hope it is too. One thing is people have pointed that Sakurai has a strange habit of putting a Mr. Saturn everywhere.

Or, like you said, I hope it's a placeholder for a Mother character

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah it means absolutely nothing. Poor dude can't post anything without people thinking it's a Smash hint. Did people just forget that not everything that mentions DQ is mentioning Smash leaks? People can reference it withought it tying to Smash... Honestly this is reminding me of the "Isaac is a lock GET READY" nonsense from last year.

Guess they gotta push this weird narrative somehow...

Also I myself made a discovery: DQ doesn’t have a monopoly on the name Yuusha like everyone's been saying.

This tells me that the codename is vague on purpose and isn't nearly as open and shut as everyone thinks. Especially since beforehand everyone was expecting Erdrick since that's the name Verge heard most. (Which is honestly pretty damn sketch since Square is infamous with leakbait from what I heard but that's an entire separate issue.) It also doesn't explain why Brave doesn't play like a Swordfighter at all. Sure the stats can be shifted, but I don't think the entire character is going to have a massive shift in playstyle. Sakurai has to see the character dancing in his head first after all.

TL;DR. The codename could literally mean anyone and that Instagram post is a big nothing.

No reason to go Chicken Little.
Myself, I was thinking we may end up with a Wonder Boy protag, for all we know, seeing as two of them can change into various animals and monsters, with at least one not remotely even using a sword.

Of course, it's yet another textbook case of how little impact DQ had on North America when what would normally be an ordinary swag showoff in Japan is treated like the coming of Christ here.

Last edited:

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet
Kinda glad that image wasn't a sign that Erdrick was a lock.

Poor dude is going to get absolutely flooded yet again, though. Can't a guy upload pictures of his merch collection in peace?

Something I didn't think about while I was on my last two brain cells for the day is that if the guy really hasn't had anything to do with Smash since Melee, it's unlikely that he'd have any more knowledge of who the DLC fighters than anyone else.

Maybe that's also just guesswork though, that's just what makes sense in my mind now that I've gotten some sleep instead of posting at 4 AM.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Poor dude is going to get absolutely flooded yet again, though. Can't a guy upload pictures of his merch collection in peace?

Something I didn't think about while I was on my last two brain cells for the day is that if the guy really hasn't had anything to do with Smash since Melee, it's unlikely that he'd have any more knowledge of who the DLC fighters than anyone else.

Maybe that's also just guesswork though, that's just what makes sense in my mind now that I've gotten some sleep instead of posting at 4 AM.
If he did and posted a hint like that, I think it would have been taken down immediately since no character has officially been hinted at through an outside source. Especially one that hasn't worked on a Smash game since the early 00's. Sakurai would be quite displeased. The Skull Kid pic he posted was at the height of his speculation as well.

Just let the man enjoy his merch like the rest of us nerds do.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

If he did and posted a hint like that, I think it would have been taken down immediately since no character has officially been hinted at through an outside source. Especially one that hasn't worked on a Smash game since the early 00's. Sakurai would be quite displeased. The Skull Kid pic he posted was at the height of his speculation as well.

Just let the man enjoy his merch like the rest of us nerds do.
I severely doubt he was on Melee at all, if anything he had to be heavily involved with early planning for Kirby Air Ride (I mean, he joined HAL in 2001, which kinda doesn't leave much, if any, time to get involved with Melee).

And sure enough, I don't see his name anywhere here: https://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/super-smash-bros-melee/credits

But yes, just let Kuma be. He just finished supporting his biggest Kirby game yet.

Last edited:

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet
I severely doubt he was on Melee at all, if anything he had to be heavily involved with early planning for Kirby Air Ride (I mean, he joined HAL in 2001, which kinda doesn't leave much, if any, time to get involved with Melee).

And sure enough, I don't see his name anywhere here: https://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/super-smash-bros-melee/credits

But yes, just let Kuma be. He just finished supporting his biggest Kirby game yet.
That's even worse, then. People are REALLY stretching to say this confirms Erdrick, in that case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What would you guys think of the idea of a brand new Mother game that has all the protagonists meet each other? We are more likely to get Mother 3 or a trilogy remake, but who knows, Itoi could change his mind about a new Mother game.

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet
What would you guys think of the idea of a brand new Mother game that has all the protagonists meet each other? We are more likely to get Mother 3 or a trilogy remake, but who knows, Itoi could change his mind about a new Mother game.
I don't think that's likely, and I've heard some pretty bad suggestions for a new Mother game... but that actually wouldn't be that bad.

I've been of the opinion that, with the way Mother 3 ended, there isn't really much room to continue the story from there, at least not in that timeline.

Time travel is a bit of a touchy subject in Mother (it has very clear and very real risks), but it's there, so it wouldn't be entirely outside the realm of canon for the three to meet that way. Any imminent disasters that would require that to happen would probably have to take place "before" the events of Mother 3 (though Lucas would be dragged back in time after the events of Mother 3, if that makes any sense), given how it ends.

Actually, maybe a sequel could focus on the events that caused the first disaster that resulted in the world of Mother 3 being the way it is?

D

Deleted member

I don't think that's likely, and I've heard some pretty bad suggestions for a new Mother game... but that actually wouldn't be that bad.

I've been of the opinion that, with the way Mother 3 ended, there isn't really much room to continue the story from there, at least not in that timeline.

Time travel is a bit of a touchy subject in Mother (it has very clear and very real risks), but it's there, so it wouldn't be entirely outside the realm of canon for the three to meet that way. Any imminent disasters that would require that to happen would probably have to take place "before" the events of Mother 3 (though Lucas would be dragged back in time after the events of Mother 3, if that makes any sense), given how it ends.

Actually, maybe a sequel could focus on the events that caused the first disaster that resulted in the world of Mother 3 being the way it is?
I like that idea for a new game. I don't want a brand new story, but rather, if we get a new game, have it be something to clarify the events of, like you said, the time before Mother 3.

Remakes of each of the games should happen first though, imo

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
A new Mother game is extremely unlikely,I can picture an spiritual sequel/reboot without Itoi's involvement but that's also unlikely. Nintendo is kinda conservative with these kind of things.

D

Deleted member

A new Mother game is extremely unlikely,I can picture an spiritual sequel/reboot without Itoi's involvement but that's also unlikely. Nintendo is kinda conservative with these kind of things.
Yeah, I agree, unfortunately.

Regardless of how likely it is though, what would you think of a new Mother game involving all 3 protags?

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman

Regardless of how likely it is though, what would you think of a new Mother game involving all 3 protags?
That would be nice,although this type of stories where the protagonists of a series get together tend to be very pandering in exchange of good plot and writing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That would be nice,although this type of stories where the protagonists of a series get together tend to be very pandering in exchange of good plot and writing.
True.

The best idea for a new game is probably focusing on the events that lead to the story of Mother 3

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Erdrick fans so far only got one pic that proves nothing and... that's it, really.
Ninten seems to slowly get more and more likely, which I'm glad, because I would be so mad if Erdrick actually ends up being the next DLC fighter.

In my opinion, that would be the most awesome idea for a new Mother game. We would get remastered versions of Mother 1 locations and that would mean we would get a Ninten redesign. Which would also be the one used for Smash if he's in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Erdrick fans so far only got one pic that proves nothing and... that's it, really.
Ninten seems to slowly get more and more likely, which I'm glad, because I would be so mad if Erdrick actually ends up being the next DLC fighter.

In my opinion, that would be the most awesome idea for a new Mother game. We would get remastered versions of Mother 1 locations and that would mean we would get a Ninten redesign. Which would also be the one used for Smash if he's in.
Mother 1 remake would definitely fix the issues a lot of people have with the game, and really get a chance to understand the story.

They might make sure that Mother 3 is playable in some form in the west either way, whether it be a localization or a remake. Hopefully Itoi can be able to play it too :D

D

Deleted member

Yeah, any talk of a successor game is just interesting hypotheticals.

If I had to choose between a new game and a Switch port of the entire trilogy, I'd take the port in an instant.
Or a remake. A remake of the trilogy is no doubt the best outcome of any potential Mother content on the Switch (along with Ninten as a DLC fighter in Smash, of course)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
While the idea of the three protags coming together is dope as hell, it might be better off left in the realm of fan fiction and fan games. Nintendo can never take my headcanons away from me bwahahaha...

I would however kill to see Ness and Ninten interact. Personally I imagine their first meeting to go in a similar fashion to how Sonic and Shadow met in SA2.

I'm also probably like one of two people that'd prefer Mother 1 remade over Mother 3 getting localized. But that might because I feel that the game needs more love in the west.

He's certainly far from unlikely that's for sure. There's a lot of odd things that seem to point directly at him. Speaking of the word direct...

February 14th. That's when I think we're gonna get it. Why? I... Honestly don't know. Call it a hunch.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I hate to always come here with my gloomy opinions, but I wanna join the convo.

I think Mother as a franchise is completely, 100% done. As in, no remakes/remasters, no future entries. I think the only new Mother content that will be released in the future are a localized Mother 3, and Smash Bros. Itoi has expressed on numerous occasions his disliking to the idea of making another game. And that doesn't necessarily mean a Mother 4. A remastered version of older entries are still creating an entirely new game from the ground up, with new graphics, sounds, animations, all that junk.

As much as I would want this to happen, I just don't see it happening. In April it will have been 13 years since a new Mother game released. I think it's just over. I don't mind if people hope, but I don't think it's a good idea to expect something new to happen.

The boys will continue to appear in Smash because they're Smash staples at this point. And EarthBound will continue to be represented on multiple platforms just because of its status as a popular cult classic. But, in my opinion, Itoi said it's over, so it's over.

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet

I think Mother as a franchise is completely, 100% done. As in, no remakes/remasters, no future entries. I think the only new Mother content that will be released in the future are a localized Mother 3, and Smash Bros. Itoi has expressed on numerous occasions his disliking to the idea of making another game. And that doesn't necessarily mean a Mother 4. A remastered version of older entries are still creating an entirely new game from the ground up, with new graphics, sounds, animations, all that junk.

As much as I would want this to happen, I just don't see it happening. In April it will have been 13 years since a new Mother game released. I think it's just over. I don't mind if people hope, but I don't think it's a good idea to expect something new to happen.

The boys will continue to appear in Smash because they're Smash staples at this point. And EarthBound will continue to be represented on multiple platforms just because of its status as a popular cult classic. But, in my opinion, Itoi said it's over, so it's over.
Oh no, I completely agree. I don't think it's likely that Itoi will ever change his stance on this. Thinking about how the story could continue after the events of Mother 3 is an interesting thing to talk about, but in the end, there isn't really any hope for a new game.

That's exactly why I'd be happy with Switch ports of all three games. The idea of a sequel or a remaster might be neat, but it's probably never going to happen. I think most people are content with what we have anyways, and are only asking for Mother 3 localization and Switch ports.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I realised something earlier this morning: since when do they broadcast Directs on Mondays?

Oh no, I completely agree. I don't think it's likely that Itoi will ever change his stance on this. Thinking about how the story could continue after the events of Mother 3 is an interesting thing to talk about, but in the end, there isn't really any hope for a new game.

That's exactly why I'd be happy with Switch ports of all three games. The idea of a sequel or a remaster might be neat, but it's probably never going to happen. I think most people are content with what we have anyways, and are only asking for Mother 3 localization and Switch ports.
Yeah, compare that to Golden Sun, which needs remasters and sequels more, if only to get Camelot out of their Mario sports rut. Company's been doing almost nothing but potboilers these days. Mother fans have it easy since at least their story is done. GS ones don't even have that.

Last edited:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman

Oh don't get me wrong,I completely agree with you. The only plausible thing Nintendo would do with Mother is release EBB and EB on Switch online and that's it. I also believe a Mother 3 localization might happen but doing the former is easier for Nintendo to do, I know Mother 3 would sell well but we know how Nintendo is,everyone and their mother (no pun intended) pirated that game and they know that,maybe that's why they are so reluctant to localize it.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I feel like it’s all or nothing this year. Either we get Ninten and a Mother Switch release, or we get absolutely nothing.

I have a good feeling about the former though.

Top Bottom