• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
D

Deleted member

I hope to god that it is Mother 3/ Mother trilogy remake they are talking about that would "please the fans."

But watch it be a re-release of Mario Party 8 or Mario Kart 2.

I do have hope that it will be something Mother related, though

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope to god that it is Mother 3/ Mother trilogy remake they are talking about that would "please the fans."

But watch it be a re-release of Mario Party 8 or Mario Kart 2.

I do have hope that it will be something Mother related, though
It'd be more accurate to assume it'd be Super Mario Party 2 or Mario Kart 9, personally speaking. :drshrug:

But watch it be Super Mario 3D World, after I've been wrong every other time it could have been revealed earlier.

D

Deleted member

It'd be more accurate to assume it'd be Super Mario Party 2 or Mario Kart 9, personally speaking. :drshrug:

But watch it be Super Mario 3D World, after I've been wrong every other time it could have been revealed earlier.
About SM3D World, actually, PolarPanda's source is confident of a WiiU Port, and seems to know which one it is. Maybe it could be SM3D World

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
About SM3D World, actually, PolarPanda's source is confident of a WiiU Port, and seems to know which one it is. Maybe it could be SM3D World
Another damn port...?

Blah, if they're gonna port Wii U games they should probably just port Star Fox Zero and adapt the controls better...

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I actually wouldn't mind an SM3DW port. I like the game.
I's still mad that they ported Pokken and added Decidueye and Empoleon to the roster without allowing them to be DLC for us Wii U players.

Sure just make two of my favorite Pokemon ever Switch exclusive thanks Nintendo I hate it.

D

Deleted member

I's still mad that they ported Pokken and added Decidueye and Empoleon to the roster without allowing them to be DLC for us Wii U players.

Sure just make two of my favorite Pokemon ever Switch exclusive thanks Nintendo I hate it.
Lol.

I think the WiiU is underrated honestly. And I love it especially because of the Virtual Console (and Super Mario 3D World and Smash 4). But VC for the most part though.

I still play VC games on the WiiU after I got the Switch

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Lol.

I think the WiiU is underrated honestly. And I love it especially because of the Virtual Console (and Super Mario 3D World and Smash 4). But VC for the most part though.

I still play VC games on the WiiU after I got the Switch
Wii U was great, just grossly mishandled. Even the ad campaigns were terrible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I actually wouldn't mind an SM3DW port. I like the game.
And I completely skipped the Wii U, so in my case it'd be win-win overall.

Unlike with Rainbow Curse, which is screwed six ways to Sunday.

I'm sure the focus on original titles will increase once the Nintendo porting business is done and over with, at least for any title that's not underperformed enough that they can't be given a second chance.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’d love a SM3DW port for the Switch since I never got it for Wii U. Despite owning a Wii U, I tend to spend more money on ports for Switch; I just find it more enjoyable to play games on it.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario Bros 2 (Doki Doki Panic) is my favorite Mario game,thus SM3DW is one of my favorite Mario games as well. I really enjoyed it on the Wii U,I played through the entire game with my brother and I had a lot of fun,I'd play it again on the Switch,especially if they add more characters.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I’d love a SM3DW port for the Switch since I never got it for Wii U. Despite owning a Wii U, I tend to spend more money on ports for Switch; I just find it more enjoyable to play games on it.
I kinda agree actually. Maybe because the controller is actually portable I dunno. Always enjoyed playing games on just the Gamepad

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet
Talk of EarthBound's bad marketing back in the day leaves a bitter taste in my mouth now, since I'm seeing people using that as a "reason" why MOTHER doesn't deserve any more representation.

Pointing out how well it's selling on virtual console just gets you a lot of ear-plugging and doubling-down --- you can't win arguments with people who keep saying stuff like "Sure, it might be popular NOW, but it sold like crap when it was released, so it's not actually that popular and shouldn't be represented that much".

Sorry if it seems like I'm ranting but unfortunately it's something that I'm surrounded by because this is the kind of stuff I'm hearing from people who are supposed to be good friends.

Sad thing is that we can sit and debunk every argument against why Ninten is still a possibility, all these arguments can be compiled into a PowerPoint --- but in the end, people don't want evidence for characters from franchises they don't like. And I don't mean people who just happen to not be interested, I mean this small group of people that, for some reason, just have this burning, seething hatred for this series.

Maybe it's gotten worse lately because they feel threatened by MOTHER getting more attention from Nintendo? It was always pretty quiet until now.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Talk of EarthBound's bad marketing back in the day leaves a bitter taste in my mouth now, since I'm seeing people using that as a "reason" why MOTHER doesn't deserve any more representation.

Pointing out how well it's selling on virtual console just gets you a lot of ear-plugging and doubling-down --- you can't win arguments with people who keep saying stuff like "Sure, it might be popular NOW, but it sold like crap when it was released, so it's not actually that popular and shouldn't be represented that much".

Sorry if it seems like I'm ranting but unfortunately it's something that I'm surrounded by because this is the kind of stuff I'm hearing from people who are supposed to be good friends.

Sad thing is that we can sit and debunk every argument against why Ninten is still a possibility, all these arguments can be compiled into a PowerPoint --- but in the end, people don't want evidence for characters from franchises they don't like. And I don't mean people who just happen to not be interested, I mean this small group of people that, for some reason, just have this burning, seething hatred for this series.

Maybe it's gotten worse lately because they feel threatened by MOTHER getting more attention from Nintendo? It was always pretty quiet until now.
Wait are people seriously using an ad campaign from two decades ago as evidence on how it's not popular now...? Jeez dude I thought the people I dealt with were stupid. That is purposely ignoring facts just because they don't like em. What a bunch of children...

Wonder if these people think F-Zero deserves another shot when that franchise sold even worse than Mother.

Also do they forget Japan exists? They ****ing love the games over there and even Mother 1 is still considered a classic and is a best seller on their E-Shop. Hell all three games are. They're more popular than most Zelda games.

It sounds like they're just making crap up because the thought of a franchise they think sucks having another character before their franchise just cannot be. "Nintendo must cater to our wishes and their wishes alone." I'm honestly kinda curious of what characters these guys want.

Also I can relate to the good friends part. I had a friend get so annoyed with me back in Laxcord that he blew up on me telling me to chill the hell out with the Ninten stuff because it's annoying as well as pointless since "He isn't as popular as Masked Man and all the digging you've done made you delusional."

Trust me, as one that has actually compiled said powerpoint, I've been outright ignored simply because "Mother won't get another character because Nintendo hates the franchise" and "Porky would get in because I think he's cooler." without reading a damn thing which makes me ask myself:"Why did I make a 258 page slideshow when no one that really should read it is going to." You are right though. It's ultimately pointless arguing with these people. The only thing that would maybe get them to back off would Ninten being revealed because there is literally nothing they can do about it if it happens.

Honestly, it MUST be because they feel threatened. Not sure why. I guess a very dedicated fandom that's been clamoring for a game's release for 12 years finally getting what they've asked for might distract Nintendo from Metroid Prime 4 for a few minutes or something. People are strange and selfish I guess.

D

Deleted member

I really can relate to this.

When the arguments against Ninten were made, I replied to them with how Ninten can have a unique moveset, and I linked The Anigriffin The Anigriffin 's PowerPoint. They of course claimed they watched it, and said the same thing as before. "hE wOuld Be aN eCHo" and "nO oNe cArEs aBOuT MOtHer."

Thankfully, there's this thread though :D

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I really can relate to this.

When the arguments against Ninten were made, I replied to them with how Ninten can have a unique moveset, and I linked The Anigriffin The Anigriffin 's PowerPoint. They of course claimed they watched it, and said the same thing as before. "hE wOuld Be aN eCHo" and "nO oNe cArEs aBOuT MOtHer."

Thankfully, there's this thread though :D
I think because since they themselves don't like Mother, they're projecting that belief onto what they see as reality. So because they personally don't, they think that must mean no one else does. It really sounds like they don't want their worldviews altered so they slap away any counter arguments against them because it pokes through their strange echo chamber.

I mean, I'm obviously completely biased towards Mother games, I'm not afraid to admit that, but good lord I at least have tried to hear people out. I've just never heard an convincing argument that's not "Well that's like, just your opinion man."

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I too am upset about these kinds of people. They stubbornly say that the Fighter Pass will be all 3rd party and that Spirits are deconfirmations. They are taking Reggie's words and twisting them into something it wasn't supposed to be. Like during Brawl, when people worded a similar comment in a way that made it sound like Ness was getting cut. And, as it turns out, Ness ended up being playable in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

I too am upset about these kinds of people. They stubbornly say that the Fighter Pass will be all 3rd party and that Spirits are deconfirmations. They are taking Reggie's words and twisting them into something it wasn't supposed to be. Like during Brawl, when people worded a similar comment in a way that made it sound like Ness was getting cut. And, as it turns out, Ness ended up being playable in Brawl.
And when Sakurai said that Ridley was "impossible" to put in the game. This is less a poor word choice and more that people can always change their mind, but the point still stands

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
These people are never satisfied, we got all these mainstream fighters that people wanted like Ridley and King K. Rool. Heck, Metroid even got 2 new fighters and Mother is the only remaining series that has stayed with 2 fighters and that is yet to receive a new one, since all the other series in that same category (Star Fox, Donkey Kong and Metroid) got at least one brand new fighter with a unique moveset.
This is yet another reason why I think we should (and might, based on The Anigriffin The Anigriffin 's Powerpoint) get Ninten, I can see him receiving the same reaction that Isabelle got when she was announced in Smash, making them all salty because how dare other series that they know nothing about get new fighters. But mostly a well received fighter from those unfamiliar with the series and the character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
These people are never satisfied, we got all these mainstream fighters that people wanted like Ridley and King K. Rool. Heck, Metroid even got 2 new fighters and Mother is the only remaining series that has stayed with 2 fighters and that is yet to receive a new one, since all the other series in that same category (Star Fox, Donkey Kong and Metroid) got at least one brand new fighter with a unique moveset.
This is yet another reason why I think we should (and might, based on The Anigriffin The Anigriffin 's Powerpoint) get Ninten, I can see him receiving the same reaction that Isabelle got when she was announced in Smash, making them all salty because how dare other series that they know nothing about get new fighters. But mostly a well received fighter from those unfamiliar with the series and the character.
And, there's very solid evidence towards Ninten's inclusion too.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
God forbid Sakurai adds another Mother character! That'd be taking away a character slot from Fire Emblem!

In all seriousness though, people just don't like seeing things get added that they have no knowledge of. Plus, I'm pretty sure Mother fans don't have the best reputation. To some, we're annoying and obsessive.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Ninten didn't make it in time for the base roster because he lost his inhalator, but don't worry...

asthma.PNG

He found it now, so he's ready for DLC.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
God forbid Sakurai adds another Mother character! That'd be taking away a character slot from Fire Emblem!

In all seriousness though, people just don't like seeing things get added that they have no knowledge of. Plus, I'm pretty sure Mother fans don't have the best reputation. To some, we're annoying and obsessive.
Really? Weird. When I didn't have any knowledge about Mother, all I've heard about the Mother fanbase is that they're actually pretty good people. I think those people are just making up stuff just to find a reason to not like something that they should be neutral about. Because in this day and age, being neutral towards something is somehow a rarity with these kind of people.

Ninten didn't make it in time for the base roster because he lost his inhalator, but don't worry...

View attachment 190071

He found it now, so he's ready for DLC.
OOOOO BOI, CUE THE EPIC MUSIC. THE MOMMA'S BOI IS COMIN'

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
The argument "people from X fandom are annoying" no longer works because unfortunately,ALL fandoms of any thing has ****ty people,there's always THAT side of a fandom and it's inevitable. I've been a Mother fan since 2007 and I saw and met a lot of people who are just disgusting. The one moment I hated the most was when some Mother fans did not even care about EBB official release and just saw the game as a stepping stone to bring Mother 3 to the west.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
The argument "people from X fandom are annoying" no longer works because unfortunately,ALL fandoms of any thing has ****ty people,there's always THAT side of a fandom and it's inevitable. I've been a Mother fan since 2007 and I saw and met a lot of people who are just disgusting. The one moment I hated the most was when some Mother fans did not even care about EBB official release and just saw the game as a stepping stone to bring Mother 3 to the west.
I’ve been a Mother fan since around 2008/2009 and I agree with you. I honestly remember more people obsessing over Mother 4 as well during that time period. At least all the vocal fans. Even Smashified did a render for Travis, but completely ignored Ninten. Kinda funny that one has fallen to the wayside and the other is still considered a classic.

And I gotta agree, Militant Mother 3 fans are pretty damn annoying. Just because THEY think it’s the best game in the series doesn’t mean the majority of the world does. Just ask Japan.

Last edited:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys know the writer of the Mother novel also did a bunch of Dragon Quest novel adaptations? Just a little trivia connecting our two Brave boys.

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet
I think because since they themselves don't like Mother, they're projecting that belief onto what they see as reality. So because they personally don't, they think that must mean no one else does.
That's exactly what's happening in my case. This dude outright hates Mother, and is convinced that it's still as obscure and unpopular as it was at the time of its release because he doesn't personally like it. He even tried to pull the "spirits are a deconfirm" on me, and then ragequit off of Discord when I pointed out that spirits are a direct replacement for trophies, and Mewtwo and Lucas had normal trophies in Smash 4 before being released as DLC.

In my experience, hating Mother seems to be co-morbid with hating Fire Emblem. All the same people that I have to deal with screaming about how Mother doesn't deserve representation also have a mental breakdown at even the slightest mention of Fire Emblem.

Same dude as the one I mentioned earlier in this rant also gets Big Mad when I say that I enjoy playing Robin, Ike, and Corrin in Smash. And pulls the same "iT's NoT tHaT pOpUlAr!" if you say so much as "I thought Awakening was a good game and I enjoyed it".

Did you guys know the writer of the Mother novel also did a bunch of Dragon Quest novel adaptations? Just a little trivia connecting our two Brave boys.
I actually just read about that last night! Maybe more hints pointing towards Ninten as DLC? [insert xfiles theme here]

D

Deleted member

That's exactly what's happening in my case. This dude outright hates Mother, and is convinced that it's still as obscure and unpopular as it was at the time of its release because he doesn't personally like it. He even tried to pull the "spirits are a deconfirm" on me, and then ragequit off of Discord when I pointed out that spirits are a direct replacement for trophies, and Mewtwo and Lucas had normal trophies in Smash 4 before being released as DLC.

In my experience, hating Mother seems to be co-morbid with hating Fire Emblem. All the same people that I have to deal with screaming about how Mother doesn't deserve representation also have a mental breakdown at even the slightest mention of Fire Emblem.

Same dude as the one I mentioned earlier in this rant also gets Big Mad when I say that I enjoy playing Robin, Ike, and Corrin in Smash. And pulls the same "iT's NoT tHaT pOpUlAr!" if you say so much as "I thought Awakening was a good game and I enjoyed it".

I actually just read about that last night! Maybe more hints pointing towards Ninten as DLC? [insert xfiles theme here]
Mother 1 is so much better than people give it credit for lol.

A remake of it may fix a lot of problems people have with it, and might give them a chance to really dig into the story and see how it really is a lovable game.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Words from the Father of Mother:
Itoi is saying that he wants to experience Mother 3 as a player, which he has never done before (you can look it up yourself in google translator if you want). I wonder if this is a hint of a possible localization / Trilogy coming / anything from the anniversary at all.
Even if it doesn't means anything, Itoi playing Mother 3 by himself for the first time sounds interesting.

D

Deleted member

Itoi is saying that he wants to experience Mother 3 as a player, which he has never done before (you can look it up yourself in google translator if you want). I wonder if this is a hint of a possible localization / Trilogy coming / anything from the anniversary at all.
Even if it doesn't means anything, Itoi playing Mother 3 by himself for the first time sounds interesting.
Even Itoi technically wants Nintendo to localize Mother 3.

C'mon Nintendo. You know it is something that needs to be done when the creator of the game wants it to happen.

In all honestly though, I love this. And I hope Nintendo will do it not only for the fans, but for Itoi too, through a localization of Mother 3 or a remake of the trilogy.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I did not! I knew that Mother 1 drew a bit of inspiration from Dragon Quest, but I wasn't aware that the novelist wrote DQ novels as well. Huh...

Good lord where did you find these people... I'm so sorry...

Inb4 Erdrick this whole time was a red herring hiding the identity of Ninty.

-hmm-6855.png

Thanks for sharing bud!

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
Even Smashified did a render for Travis, but completely ignored Ninten.
God, don't remind me of that garbage. "We're doing a Mother Month!" Proceeds to make Smashified renders for two Mother 3 characters and a character from a fan-game that isn't even Mother related anymore and will never release. Mother 1's only representation is through a trophy.

"Mother Month" my ass.

Different subject; I'm making a Ninten moveset (Sort of a v2 of my Ana moveset, but for Ninten? I'll make a v2 specifically for Ana too.) What do y'all think of these attributes?

Weight: 95 (36th-39th)
Run Speed: 1.906 (24th)
Fall Speed: 1.66 [Max] / 2.656 [Fast Fall] (27th)
Air Speed: 1.208 (12th-16th)
Air Accel: 0.1 (9th-13th)
Dash Speed: 1.8 (65th)
Walk Speed: 1.239 (23rd)
Wall Jump?: No
Crawl?: No
Double Jump: Normal
Jumps: 2

Ninten is 1 point heavier than Ness and Lucas, has good run speed but a slow dash, with good air speed and air acceleration. However, unlikes Ness and Lucas, he has a normal double jump and isn't floaty.

D

Deleted member

God, don't remind me of that garbage. "We're doing a Mother Month!" Proceeds to make Smashified renders for two Mother 3 characters and a character from a fan-game that isn't even Mother related anymore and will never release. Mother 1's only representation is through a trophy.

"Mother Month" my ***.

Different subject; I'm making a Ninten moveset (Sort of a v2 of my Ana moveset, but for Ninten? I'll make a v2 specifically for Ana too.) What do y'all think of these attributes?

Weight: 95 (36th-39th)
Run Speed: 1.906 (24th)
Fall Speed: 1.66 [Max] / 2.656 [Fast Fall] (27th)
Air Speed: 1.208 (12th-16th)
Air Accel: 0.1 (9th-13th)
Dash Speed: 1.8 (65th)
Walk Speed: 1.239 (23rd)
Wall Jump?: No
Crawl?: No
Double Jump: Normal
Jumps: 2

Ninten is 1 point heavier than Ness and Lucas, has good run speed but a slow dash, with good air speed and air acceleration. However, unlikes Ness and Lucas, he has a normal double jump and isn't floaty.
You went in depth to this. nice job.

I like this, but I still think Ninten should be a floaty character. I agree with him being heavier than Ness and Lucas, though

FerrousFarron

Smash Cadet
Made a bit of a discovery while slogging through a Smash U facebook group, since someone posted this.

I'm extremely conflicted --- Mostly because I don't have a lot of information on this particular guy, and also for another reason but I'll get into that in a bit. Point is, the reasoning for this could make or break Ninten being "Brave". Not necessarily destroy his odds of being DLC altogether, but "Brave" in particular.

I would like some clarification as to who this is, because some people are saying this is a prominent Smash director, while others are saying he hasn't been involved in Smash's development since Melee.

And second of all, referring to Erdrick's shield as being "The brave's shield": This could be implying that it's "Brave", or the hype could just be a side effect of people not realizing that this is a Japanese fan of the Dragon Quest games who would probably refer to Erdrick as "Brave", since I believe that was his name ("Yuusha") in the Japanese version of the game?

Some people are also speculating that this is intentionally being done to throw people off, but that's just guesswork.

Things might be up in the air for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom