• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No control over this game.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Normal Version; TL/DR version at the bottom.

Before I start, I want to say I love Smash. I've been playing this series since the very first one. I actually remember being able to stay home from school when Smash Brothers on N64 came out just to play it. I also have hundreds of hours put into Smash 4, even using Anther's Ladder for MU's from time to time. But this game I feel like I have absolutely zero control over. I mean this literally. I feel like either the controller doesn't respond, or this game has input lag that I just apparently can't get used to, or something. I've tried to research it and see if it was just me or if the game had some underlying issue. My Switch is like 10 feet from my router, with only me in the house using it, and I'm sitting about 5 feet from the Switch itself. I use the Joycons to play.

Out of maybe 10-15 games, I'll win about 2. And it feels like either pure luck or the other person is so insanely bad that they must have just gotten the game today. Logging hours upon hours into this game and I just lost to an Ike who literally would just jump and spam neutral A because no matter what I would input, the character would end up doing something else. There's a difference between being bad and losing like that. My girlfriend and I have returned my Switch for a new one already once when trying to explain the issue to Best Buy. I feel like the controls are totally unresponsive in this game to the point where I got this game day 1 and have maybe played it for 2 hours total (after just explaining I have hundreds in just Smash 4 alone) just because I can't control the game.

Example; I run towards a ledge and press b-air. What the game does is run towards the ledge and just do a normal running attack. Never responds to going off the ledge, never responds to pressing back. There are times I've been mashing jump to try and get my double jump to work as I watch my character just go off the ledge to his death.

TL:DR - Smash player from the N64 title with hundreds of hours logged in the series. Can barely squeak out 1 out of every 5 wins online because I feel like the controls just do not input properly. Am I losing my mind, is there some technical issue, or is the game just totally redesigned where the basic controls need to be entirely re-learned? It has made the game entirely unplayable for me and considered just selling it at this point.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Don't use Joycons. Invest in a Game Cube controller or a wired controller. Game Cube controllers have the lowest response time, i.e., faster inputs. SSBU has a noticeable buffering system to most, and adapting to that is going to take time to adjust. The controls felt sensitive to me at first. Errors were made as well. Just like you, going for a b-air after running off the stage or platform would result in a dash attack instead at times.

How many hours have you spent playing SSBU? Few have at least >1,000 hours from what I've seen. I'm >700 hours, but that cannot quite be mine entirely, since I share the Switch. I do play more, though. If you're not playing often, you're not going to do well. I originally tried playing 3 hours a day, but I'd end up playing about >20 players a day. I've decided to focus on 50 players a day, but these are ideal scenarios and not exactly what I achieve. Play against humans who want to learn, not casual gamers or CPUs if you're serious about improving.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
The Switch pro controller is also great, imo. I love how it fits in my hands.

You can totally do Joy Cons too, but I just prefer the bigger controller. It does sound like your input issues might be partially solved with the different controller, but you could also need to do drills/practice to get your inputs more consistent.

Edit: Also, how good is your connection speed in general? Like with a speed test done over wifi from your phone.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I dont understand if you are saying that you have problems only playing online or if playing against the CPU or in local battles with friends you also have issues.

candysell

Smash Cadet
I have the pro controller and it sometimes registers the incorrect thing sometimes. When I'm using G&W, I up b off stage and it sometimes registers a side b causing me to fall to my death. I still win over 95% of the matches. I say go for the pro if you feel it's for you. Don't use the joy cons. They are junk and will most likely break or cause drifting.

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I have the pro controller and it sometimes registers the incorrect thing sometimes. When I'm using G&W, I up b off stage and it sometimes registers a side b causing me to fall to my death. I still win over 95% of the matches. I say go for the pro if you feel it's for you. Don't use the joy cons. They are junk and will most likely break or cause drifting.
This could be a sign of stick drift. You're pressing up (and likely slightly to one side rather than straight up), but the stick is drifting downward at the same time resulting in a side B input instead of up B. Or it could be that you are genuinely entering misinputs and think you're pushing up B but you're pressing more to the side than up resulting in a side B.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Three potential problems:

FartyParty mentioned stick drift. To check this, go into the settings and Calibrate your control sticks. If the dot is moving around randomly and erratically when you aren't touchign the stick, you've got a problem.

The other thing might be how your sitting. When I'm in my living room, I like to lean back in my chair and have the controller (Pro in wireless mode) in my lap. If I have my controller to far in my lap, I'll start to lost inputs because my legs are blocking the wireless signal. I have to sit up and bring my controller above my legs for it to start working flawlessly again.

The final possibility might be that you just aren't used to the buffer system. I too went through that period of not feeling like I was in control of the game. Seemingly random things would happen, or there would seem to be a delay between when I input an attack to when it came out. I thought it was just because I had skipped Smash 4, but I never had a problem when I had occasionally played Brawl. Turns out it wasn;t me, the hardware, or the game, I just had to get used to the new buffer system. If you frantically mash a bunch of different things when you're in hitstun, what eventually comes out will feel totally random, and you don't feel in control.

If it's the buffer, chill out a bit and fight against a moderate-level CPU and just do stuff until it feels like you're back in control.
Edit: Also, how good is your connection speed in general? Like with a speed test done over wifi from your phone.
For gaming, latency is usually much more important than raw throughput, and that goes triple for fighting games. It is completely ****ing stupid that the Switch's speed test does not show ping times.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
the only thing i sometimes have no control over is Toon Link's and Young Link's up B
so like if i want them to stay on the stage doing their up B they sometimes still go into the air and idk why it happens..because it doesn't happen all the time x.x

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
the only thing i sometimes have no control over is Toon Link's and Young Link's up B
so like if i want them to stay on the stage doing their up B they sometimes still go into the air and idk why it happens..because it doesn't happen all the time x.x
DO you have Tap Jump on or off? If it off you might be accidentally fat-fingering the jump button.

Top Bottom