• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No coconut gun?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
DK's coconut gun was the one moveset change I wanted them to make for him. It took them until Smash 4 to givie him his real dash attack, why not give him his coconut gun (replace his down + B).

Anyone agree?

I think his coconut gun should be Side B and they should make his down B better

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I think guns/projectiles like this tend to take the neutral B position (Fox's lasers, Mario's Fireballs, all of the bows, etc.), so I'm not sure it should/would be Down + B (especially since it would be removing another canon move from DK's arsenal), but then I also wouldn't want it to replace his wind-up punch because it's such a prolific Smash move. I think a coconut gun would be a great side + b, however, since I don't recall DK's headbutt appearing canon in the DK series!

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
if DK ever got a projectile i think i'd prefer it be a barrel tbh. DK rollin barrels is so iconic that it's honestly surprising to me that there's no reference to it at all in his moveset.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
if DK ever got a projectile i think i'd prefer it be a barrel tbh. DK rollin barrels is so iconic that it's honestly surprising to me that there's no reference to it at all in his moveset.
Cargo toss is probably meant to be that reference.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I was always expecting the Coconut Gun to be an item. Instead we got a Banana Gun. Something that's not even from any game.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
But it would only be able to fire in spurts, even though if he were to shoot you, it would hurt

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was always expecting the Coconut Gun to be an item. Instead we got a Banana Gun. Something that's not even from any game.
Glad to have this confirmed honestly. Because I felt I was missing out for not knowing where it came from. I sort of assumed it was from Mario x Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure, guess it wasn't. Hope it gets used in a main game though, because it looks awesome.

Things like these is why I would trust Sakurai 100% with making a new Donkey Kong game. Plus the K.Rool reveal trailer, and the awesome Diddy cutscenes in Subspace Emissary (honestly, I liked SSE best because of these).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No coconut gun? Then I guess he cannot fire in spurts.
Wow. DK used his Coconut gun to fire in spurts, and shoot ya, to make it hurt.
That's more graphic than I remembered the rap being.
And that coconut gun is bigger, faster, and stronger, too...

(In all seriousness, I am still angry that DK cannot throw a barrel. It should be a move of his.)

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Yeah a barrel throw would be so awesome. Back in the day I could understand Sakurai not wanting to give long range projectiles to heavy characters but today with Dedede and K Rool there really is no excuse.

Pull a barrel out of hammer space and roll it on down the way. His cargo throw animation definitely was in reference to how he carried barrels in the early country titles and now it references how he does it post Returns.

Jungle Beat actually had DK pulling of head buts. Smash Bros definitely inspired that though.

When it comes to the coconut gun itself I feel like it would be too similar to a million other projectiles as it is while a barrel could look and function fairly uniquely.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Keep in mind King Donkey Kong is the fastest super heavyweight. His frame data is better than the other guys and as a result of that, he was the top heavyweight last game

Getting a projectile will come with nerfs to that

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I probably would have had the Coconut Gun as Donkey Kong's new Final Smash.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
If Funky ever shows up as an Echo, consider this: What if he took charge of the Coconut Gun instead of DK?

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be a good final smash I am also concerned at what adjustments they would need to make if it was to replace either b or toward b. He has been the same with tweaks to individual stats since the beginning so I don't think they would change that.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Bit late on the topic, but...

I do believe the Banana Gun is actually a reference to the Metal Gear Franchise, wherein which you can hold up guards with a Banana in one of the games. They showed the Kongs with the banana for comedic effect.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Projectiles would ruin DK's playstyle. He's supposed to be the heavy yet deceptively fast brawler, and having a projectile would run counter to that niche.

Besides, as I have said here, a bunch of his animations are straight ripped from DKC1. Does he really need more stuff? Does Zelda need her Light Arrow in her regular moveset after losing it as her Final Smash?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Projectiles would ruin DK's playstyle. He's supposed to be the heavy yet deceptively fast brawler, and having a projectile would run counter to that niche.

Besides, as I have said here, a bunch of his animations are straight ripped from DKC1. Does he really need more stuff? Does Zelda need her Light Arrow in her regular moveset after losing it as her Final Smash?
Actually, now that you mention it, using the Bow of Light in Zelda's regular moveset would be super cool.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
(replace his down + B)
Why would you ever want to replace a move that is:

1. One of few moves directly taken from DKC along with the dash attack roll.
2. One of his original staple Smash Bros signature moves?

There's really no move you can take off of DK where coconut gun would be more appropriate and he really shouldn't have a projectile anyhow for his playstyle of a grappler.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Why would you ever want to replace a move that is:

1. One of few moves directly taken from DKC along with the dash attack roll.
2. One of his original staple Smash Bros signature moves?

There's really no move you can take off of DK where coconut gun would be more appropriate and he really shouldn't have a projectile anyhow for his playstyle of a grappler.
Side B definitely lol

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the topic of barrels, I have one suggestion. What if DK's side B still functioned the same, but instead of headbutting, he smashes a barrel over foes' heads? That way you can insert a staple part of his character without altering his playstyle.

Sorta like how I wish that Luigi's Green Missile had him rocket forward with the poltergust instead of spontaneously launching himself just because. But, eh...

Last edited:
Top Bottom