• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No buffs in 6.0

guyonthedock_js

Smash Rookie
I was really hoping for some Bowser Jr buffs this time. I've picked them up for a secondary and absolutely love the character. The spacing, mobility, and combo they have are just fun to play with. That, and very few people I play have matchup experience with them. Either way, New Bowser Jr. player here :D

CircularSaw

Smash Rookie
I was also expecting minor buffs, at least. I guess Nintendo are happy with how he is now, that's a shame. What buffs would you like to see ?

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
making people not fall out of fsmash would be nice. and remove the fair blindspot

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
7.0 now and still nothing. I'm starting to think the balance team are kind of clueless. Mid tiers like Cloud and Diddy get buffs while some of the low/bottom tiers haven't been majorly buffed if at all. A few like King Dedede have even gotten minor nerfs.

My wishlist for Jr. buffs:

F-tilt: Less safe than d-tilt perfectly spaced and doesn't kill until absurd percents.

6 frames less end lag, moderately increased KBG & 0.5% more damage on sour spot, greatly increased KBG and 1% more damage on sweet spot.

Dash Attack: Bowser Jr. travels further to catch rolls away, slightly more KBG so it kills at reasonably high %.

Up Smash: Taller hitbox so it doesn't trade with barely disjointed moves like Palu nair and functions better as an anti-air.

D-air: lower launch angle when the last aerial hit connects so it can actually edge guard, 1 or 2 frames less landing lag to allow for follow ups at low% and be a bit safer on shield.

Clown Kart Dash: Heavy Armor also applies to Jr's body so stray projectiles don't interrupt you so easily. Jr already takes more damage himself so hitting him and not the kart will still more effectively interrupt Side B.

The speed would be reverted to pre-buff levels to compensate and solidify it as a move to beat out weak attacks.

Run Speed: Slightly increased to help follow his projectiles and make Jr. rely less on Side-B to get around.

Clown Cannon: A worse K. Rool Blunderbuss, need I say more?

5 frames less start-up, 3 frames less end lag, takes 40 frames to reach full charge instead of 60 but charge can be held for 20 frames for mixing up timing.

Mechakoopa: Too slow to use in neutral and too easy to deal with even when you can deploy it.

15 frames less end lag, Mechakoopa activates on frame 35 instead of 48, Mechakoopa lasts 2 more seconds before self-destructing, Mechakoopa turns around on shield instead of deactivating and can't latch onto opponents for 1.5 seconds after hitting a shield.

Last edited:

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
if you are calling clown cannon worse krool blunderbuss you dont play junior
Its frame data is worse and it has less range. The only other thing it has is edgeguarding with the falling hitbox, but that's so slow and predictable the only characters it works on are ones with poor recoveries that you can easily edge guard yourself by going off stage.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
How about
Shield damage
And the fact that the falling hitbox makes it a valuable ledge trapping tool
And that a half charged cannonball can pop a full shield with correct spacing and can setup for shield breaks with bad spacing

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
How about
Shield damage
And that a half charged cannonball can pop a full shield with correct spacing and can setup for shield breaks with bad spacing
It's very rare that it will actually do shield damage because when the charge is low it's easy to perfect shield and at higher charge the opponent can just jump over it and not have to worry about you punishing them for it due to its high end lag.
The end lag also makes it poor for ledge trapping, any decent opponent can normal get up and parry it when they see the wind up.
At half charge an opponent can simply jump over it and not worry about being punished, same problem as using it for shield pressure.

Doughnutz

Smash Rookie
How about
Shield damage
Clown Cannon is without a doubt a worse Blunderbuss. It is just worse in almost every way possible. It is the slowest projectile in the game, and its shield damage can't really be utilized to the extent of Lucina Shieldbreaker, DK Headbutt etc. It is easily avoidable by just hitting the jump button.
In terms of edgeguarding, BJ is already so freaking good offstage that there are only rare occasions where Clown Cannon is preferable over traditional edgeguarding with Fair or Nair.

It needs to be at least 15 frames faster for uncharged version, deal higher shield damage and knockback. I also had this idea where he can freely cancel charge with shield or jump and store the charge just like Samus Charge Shot, M2 Shadow Ball, WFT Sun Salutation etc.

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
Clown Cannon is without a doubt a worse Blunderbuss. It is just worse in almost every way possible. It is the slowest projectile in the game, and its shield damage can't really be utilized to the extent of Lucina Shieldbreaker, DK Headbutt etc. It is easily avoidable by just hitting the jump button.
In terms of edgeguarding, BJ is already so freaking good offstage that there are only rare occasions where Clown Cannon is preferable over traditional edgeguarding with Fair or Nair.

It needs to be at least 15 frames faster for uncharged version, deal higher shield damage and knockback. I also had this idea where he can freely cancel charge with shield or jump and store the charge just like Samus Charge Shot, M2 Shadow Ball, WFT Sun Salutation etc.
I generally agree with you, but personally I'm not a fan of making it yet another charge projectile like Samus Charge shot. There are too many of that kind of move already. I'd rather it come out much faster, have a bit less end lag, reach full charge faster and have more range at all charge levels.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I'm kinda hopeful we'll see more Junior buffs down the line. What I'd personally want is for Mechakoopa to have less endlag, Abandon Ship's first hit to connect into the explosion more reliably (maybe by making the explosion hitbox bigger?) and for f-smash to absolutely destroy shields like it did in the Smash 4 trailer. Maybe give d-air some additional shield damage as well, seeing as it also uses a drill.

Also, fix his arm in that one victory pose.

CircularSaw

Smash Rookie
Merry Christmas guys;

Bowser Jr.Basic MovementsAdjusted certain landing behaviors to no longer prevent passing through platforms.
Bowser Jr.Side Tilt AttackExtended launch distance.
Bowser Jr.Up Smash AttackMade it easier to hit multiple times.
Bowser Jr.Down Smash AttackIncreased attack speed.
Bowser Jr.Forward ThrowExtended launch distance.
Bowser Jr.Edge AttacksIncreased the power of the attack used when grabbing edges after an up special.
Bowser Jr.Side SpecialMade it hard to flinch from opponent's attacks.
Bowser Jr.Up SpecialIncreased attack speed.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
These were some nice buffs. The speed increase with up special and down smash is really noticeable.

Dunno how reliable the current info in SmashWiki's changelog is, but it says the following:

F-tilt base knockback was increased from 55 to 72
Up smash connects easier due to the hitboxes being made bigger
Down smash startup was decreased from 15 frames to 12
F-throw's knockback scaling was increased from 70 to 92
Edge attack damage after up special was increased from 9% to 10%
Side special's armor withstands more damage, going from 6% to about 10.2%
Up special startup was decreased from 21 frames to 17

Top Bottom