• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NME | Xzax - Let's Talk: Smash 4 At Genesis 3

Smash 4 at Genesis 3 is looking to be a legendary event. Players are coming from across the globe from Japan, Mexico, Peru, and more to compete. Inspired by Tafo Talks, NME | Xzax has created a video to discuss Smash 4 at Genesis 3. He was previously a ranked Brawl player in Tri-state and currently is power ranked in SoCal. With this big event happening so close to home get his thoughts on the event itself, international talent attending, and more.

Like the video? Have something to add? Let us know in the comments below and consider subscribing to Xzax's Youtube channel. We will have more and more professional's thoughts on Genesis 3 right here on Smashboards so be sure to stay tuned for more!

Comments

Melee is fresher
I think the main appeal to smash 4 is how fresh and ripe the new meta is. So much stuff is still to be discovered! It's nice to relive the journey of discovering and exploring a brand new smash game w/ the community! ^_^

:150:

Last edited:
I have one for you as well, being Sheik, at Evo, was more prominent in Smash 4 top 64 than Fox was in Melee top 64
And? You implied that Smash 4 is nothing but players using Sheik. Hyperbole or no, that is simply not the case -- Sheik is rather common in the metagame, but doesn't take up anywhere near the majority. (Not to mention how long ago Evo was.)

Furthermore, Fox in Melee compared to Sheik in Smash 4 is rather irrelevant. Your original argument -- which I am refuting -- was about Smash 4 standalone. You said that it had nothing but "people spamming Sheik," not that it was more extreme with Smash 4's Sheik than Melee's Fox. Heck, Fox wasn't even Aegi's original argument -- he was arguing that Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik dominated Melee's metagame (which is, to some extent, true). But anyway.

And? You implied that Smash 4 is nothing but players using Sheik. Hyperbole or no, that is simply not the case -- Sheik is rather common in the metagame, but doesn't take up anywhere near the majority. (Not to mention how long ago Evo was.)

Furthermore, Fox in Melee compared to Sheik in Smash 4 is rather irrelevant. Your original argument -- which I am refuting -- was about Smash 4 standalone. You said that it had nothing but "people spamming Sheik," not that it was more extreme with Smash 4's Sheik than Melee's Fox. Heck, Fox wasn't even Aegi's original argument -- he was arguing that Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik dominated Melee's metagame (which is, to some extent, true). But anyway.
4 out of 26 characters dominate Melee's metagame while 1 out of 50 characters leads the charge for its metagame

Thoughts on the big-name Japanese players mentioned in this video:

Ranai :4villager:
Ranai is a brilliant player, but I don't think he'll be able to handle Dabuz or ZeRo. His history in the Sheik and Rosalina MUs has been really shaky, but then he basically stomps the rest of Japan's premier players. However, if both Dabuz and ZeRo get sent to losers' early, then Ranai is the new favorite to win the tournament. It's just really unfortunate that two of our best players use Villager's two worst MUs.

Komorikiri :4sonic:
I think Komorikiri actually has the 2nd best odds of beating ZeRo (after Nairo). ZeRo has already shown that he can lose to Sonic, and Komo is on another level in comparison to any American Sonic player. OTOH I think he'll have a lot of trouble getting through Nairo, and he will certainly lose to Ranai if they face off. Beyond the players mentioned, I think he's got even-or-better odds against everyone else.

Rain :4sheik:
He's honestly overrated at this point. He's no longer one of Japan's top players. He doesn't finish top 8 consistently, and he's even lost the ditto to several high-level Japanese Sheiks in recent months. Combine this with a history of underperforming in the US even while dominating Japan, and I just don't expect much of him at Genesis TBH. I'd love to be proven wrong.

9B :4ryu:
This guy had an incredible breakout tournament at Umebura FAT, but his placings since then have been kind of mediocre compared to his previously-demonstrated peak abilities. He could easily get top 8, or he could place outside of the top 16. It's kind of hard to call it at this point.

Abadango :4metaknight:
He's actually not becoming more diverse - he mains Meta Knight now. But this is actually good for him, as he won't be stretched thin between multiple "mains" as before. His placings in Japan have also recently improved a bit. Based on these factors and his previous overseas placements, I think he will likely place top 8 (or right outside of it) yet again.

EDIT: fixed sentence structure.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the-big Japanese players mentioned in this video:

Ranai :4villager:
Ranai is a brilliant player, but I don't think he'll be able to handle Dabuz or ZeRo. His history in the Sheik and Rosalina MUs has been really shaky, but then he basically stomps the rest of Japan's premier players. However, if both Dabuz and ZeRo get sent to losers' early, then Ranai is the new favorite to win the tournament. It's just really unfortunate that two of our best players use Villager's two worst MUs.

Komorikiri :4sonic:
I think Komorikiri actually has the 2nd best odds of beating ZeRo (after Nairo). ZeRo has already shown that he can lose to Sonic, and Komo is on another level in comparison to any American Sonic player. OTOH I think he'll have a lot of trouble getting through Nairo, and he will certainly lose to Ranai if they face off. Beyond the players mentioned, I think he's got even-or-better odds against everyone else.

Rain :4sheik:
He's honestly overrated at this point. He's no longer one of Japan's top players. He doesn't finish top 8 consistently, and he's even lost the ditto to several high-level Japanese Sheiks in recent months. Combine this with a history of underperforming in the US even while dominating Japan, and I just don't expect much of him at Genesis TBH. I'd love to be proven wrong.

9B :4ryu:
This guy had an incredible breakout tournament at Umebura FAT, but his placings since then have been kind of mediocre compared to his previously-demonstrated peak abilities. He could easily get top 8, or he could place outside of the top 16. It's kind of hard to call it at this point.

Abadango :4metaknight:
He's actually not becoming more diverse - he mains Meta Knight now. But this is actually good for him, as he won't be stretched thin between multiple "mains" as before. His placings in Japan have also recently improved a bit. Based on these factors and his previous overseas placements, I think he will likely place top 8 (or right outside of it) yet again.

EDIT: fixed sentence structure.
I'd really like to see Ranai win the tournament, or at least get second, most likely to ZeRo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ranai seems the most like the Japanese ZeRo, at least to me.

I'd really like to see Ranai win the tournament, or at least get second, most likely to ZeRo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ranai seems the most like the Japanese ZeRo, at least to me.
There is no Japanese analog to ZeRo. Ranai is fantastic, but I wouldn't even rank him as high as Nairo overall. Though he's easily as good as anyone else you can think of.

Okay, guys I'm seeing a fair amount of fighting between smash4 and melee and as usual we are fighting about which game is "Better". I personally think this rather selfish of the melee players seeing as this was supposed to be about the Smash 4 community not the melee community this is also coming from a "melee elitist" but recently I have learned to love every smash game in there own right(even brawl).The point is I think we should stop fighting and just be happy that the Smash community as a whole is doing better then it has ever been before. :D

Ranai is the most consistent player in Japan, but Choco, Edge, and Komorikiri are also very consistent (and almost always get top 8).

I wouldn't call it fresh either. The entire competitive scene is endless streams of foxes, falcos, marths and sheiks with only a couple people using
characters like pikachu.
That's why the Melee top 8 at EVO had just as much character variety (counting Armada's Peach) as Smash 4 did, right?

Last edited:
http://shoryuken.com/2015/07/19/evo...argest-fighting-game-tournament-in-the-world/

Melee top 8:
Fox
Peach
Jigglypuff
Marth
Falco
Sheik
Samus
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Total: 9 characters

Smash 4 top 8:

Sheik
Diddy Kong
Zero Suit Samus
Mario
Marth
Rosalina & Luma
Olimar
Pikachu
Ness
Total: 9 characters

k
Wow. You actually had the audacity to misquote me when my post has clear evidence of me saying that they had "just as much" variety, not "more." I understand that Smashboards is a popular place for trolling, but this was just disgraceful.

Wow. You actually had the audacity to misquote me when my post has clear evidence of me saying that they had "just as much" variety, not "more." I understand that Smashboards is a popular place for trolling, but this was just disgraceful.

No shame in making a simple mistake like that, but no point in denying it.

(also, tfw your post is made irrelevant by an edit)

You are so pathetic. Read the time stamps.
I just so happened to begin writing my post before you edited yours. Time stamps on posts reflect the time at which they were finished, not started. Anyway, I don't particularly care to carry on this argument, it's rather pointless.

Top Bottom