• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nippon Ichi Representative and The Grinding King: Overlord Laharl for Smash!

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250

"Laughing is an important aspect of being the Overlord."

Who is Laharl?

Laharl is a demon prince and the protagonist of Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, as well as its direct sequel Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness and will most definitely return for the upcoming remake of his debut appearance, which is also coming for the Nintendo Switch. He is also one of if not, the main face of the JRPG franchise alongside the Prinnies, Etna and Flonne.
He also starred in the anime adaption of Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and has made some appearances in other Nippon Ichi franchises' games, as well as being available for a limited time in The Alchemist Code.

In Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, the main plot is that Laharl's father, the previous Overlord of the Netherworld has passed away while he's been asleep for 2 years. After being woken up by Etna, he aims to claim the title of Overlord of the Netherworld being accompanied by her, as well as later on an angel named Flonne, who ends up following him around in hopes to teach him about love, something he absolutely despises.

How would his moveset work?
Laharl's in game efficency in weapon mastery are fists and especially swords, however he can technically master any of the weapons bar Monster weapons due to his Humanoid class, and in Hour of Darkness is efficent at most of them. That said Laharl would most likely be mostly utilizing swords and physical attacks, however, he is also capable of other techniques such as Overlord's Wrath, Blazing Knuckle, Meteor Impact and Overlord Dimension.
Due to it exceeding gifmaker's limit, which is my only current resource for uploading gifs, I'll have to link towards the video showcasing it https://youtu.be/IC2JIP1C8Zg?t=33

Why Laharl for Smash?

While not a very likely candidate, the Disgaea series has been showing up more on Nintendo software, with an upcoming remake of the first game coming for both Switch and PS4. For the record these are all the Disgaea games which have been on Nintendo devices so far and upcoming:

Disgaea DS

Disgaea 5 Complete

Disgaea 1 Complete

As for the games themselves, as mentioned earlier, they are tactical JRPGs which have gained consistent positive reception and many spin offs, sequels and remakes. They are also notorious for having a system built around grinding.

Miscellaneous:

Prinny Laharl: Disgaea Hour of Darkness (2003)

Laharl chan Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness (2013)

Signature support icon:

"Feel the wrath of Laharl!!!"

Edit: I came back to this thread's main op and it seems that the spoiler code has messed it up a lot, I uncertain of how it works and all my attempts of trying to fix it have made it worse, if a mod could clean it up I would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance for my PS4. I support!

slambros

Smash Ace
This would definitely be an interesting choice for the game. And it's definitely viable! Great out of the box thinking with this one!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I've never touched a Disgaea game in my life, but I've always felt like Laharl and Etna were wicked cool thanks to that one Ace Attorney fan case on YouTube. Maybe I'll look into getting the remake for Switch like I am with Tales of Vesperia.

I support.

Last edited:
Top Bottom