• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate NintenZone Ultimate Showdown! 2nd Round underway

Which timezone are you in? *Don't respond if you aren't entering!*

• Total voters

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Because nobody else was going to do it, so I guess it's up to me.

I'm still working out how times and stuff should work; because of timezone differences, I'm not sure how feasible it is to just get everyone together at an arranged time and play the whole thing out in one day. For now I'm saying next Saturday (2nd March) at about 5pm GMT (12pm EST/9am PST) as a rough start time, but that probably won't suit everyone. How do people feel about the idea of spreading it out over the space of 2 days or so?

Basic info:
  • Prize: Bragging rights! The most special prize of all. i would have offered premium as a prize, but...
  • Bracket: https://challonge.com/NZoneUltimate1
  • (If you have a Challonge account, tell me your username so I can include it in the bracket. If you don't, it doesn't matter.)
  • Discord: ask for the invite link

The boring rules-y stuff:

== Rules ==
  • 3 stock, 8 minutes, 1v1
  • Double elimination bracket
  • Each set is best of 3. Winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals are best of 5 instead. (may change depending on how many sign-ups we get/how quickly we get through everything)
  • Starter stages are picked in the usual fashion; players strike from the starter list in the order P1-P2-P2-P1, and whatever stage is left at the end is played. The player to strike first is picked by a coin toss.
  • For game 2+, the loser picks 3 stages from the full stage list, and the winner picks one of those stages to play on. (see this post for more on this)
  • You can't pick any stage you've previously won on during the set.
  • Alternatively, any stage from the list can be played if both players agree to it.
  • If the game times out, the match is resolved first by remaining stocks (most stocks left wins), then by damage (lowest damage wins). If stocks and damage are both equal, a 1 stock, 3 minute match will be played to decide the winner. If the game goes into Sudden Death mode, ignore it; the result of Sudden Death won't be counted.
  • Miis are okay, but you can't change your loadouts mid-set.
  • I will have an arena set up for people to use if they wish (which also makes it easier for me to verify results), but you can also set up your own in the interests of getting through the tournament more quickly. If you do this, you should save all replays in the case of any disputes, and responsibility for ensuring the ruleset is correct (and liability if it isn't) falls on the person that created the arena.
  • no johns about lag, go buy a LAN adapter or something if it's bugging you

== In-game ruleset ==
This is how the ruleset should be set up in-game.
  • 3 stock, 8 minutes
  • Final Smash Meter off
  • Spirits off
  • Damage handicap off
  • Stage selection: Anyone
  • All items set to OFF and NONE
  • First to: 1 win
  • Stage Morph off
  • Stage Hazards off
  • Team Attack on (though it doesn't really matter much)
  • Launch rate 1.0x
  • Underdog Boost off
  • Pausing off
  • Score display off
  • Show damage: Yes

== Stages ==
I'm open to adding/removing from these if people want to make suggestions, but I also don't want to go overboard and end up with people spending all day picking a stage.
  • Battlefield (+Battlefield forms)
  • Final Destination (+Omega forms)
  • Smashville
  • Town & City
  • Pokémon Stadium

• Castle Siege
  • Halberd
  • Kalos Pokémon League
  • Unova Pokémon League
  • WarioWare
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Prism Tower
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

I think this covers most stuff, but if I left anything out or you need clarification on something, yell at me here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm in.

I also suggest letting each pair of players discuss what time is better for them and arrange it themselves because weekends are actually worse for me lol

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I'm in.

I also suggest letting each pair of players discuss what time is better for them and arrange it themselves because weekends are actually worse for me lol
One way of running it that I had in mind was to run it over a week or so, and just let players arrange times to suit themselves. There'd probably have to be some limits (like, each round has to be completed within 2 days or so) so that the thing doesn't go on forever, but I want to accommodate for things like this so I might end up doing it this way.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Swiggity swooty, I'm coming for that booty last place.

Optimally I'd ask for a time more in the evening if it could be arranged. Third shifter and all. But I might be able to swing noon worst case.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I would join this, but I don't think I would be available when it starts, as that would be 11 a.m. for me on a day where I won't be available from 9 a.m. - 3 p. m. Spreading it out over two days would work well though, as I think I should be available later on in the day (as well as the next day, for that matter).

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Yeah, I'm probably gonna go with what I said and spread it out over a week or so. Would be best for allowing as many people as possible to take part, especially with the mix of timezones and work shifts we have here so far. :p

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ohmygod there's TWO now?

...wait this one is ALSO at 9am.

Why don't you guys let me sleep on my days off.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Ohmygod there's TWO now?

...wait this one is ALSO at 9am.

Why don't you guys let me sleep on my days off.
I put that in as a rough start time but I'm probably just going to let people arrange their own times instead. It'll mean having to run it over a more extended period of time, but since online tournaments can be tricky to schedule, I feel like it'd be a fair compromise.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I put that in as a rough start time but I'm probably just going to let people arrange their own times instead. It'll mean having to run it over a more extended period of time, but since online tournaments can be tricky to schedule, I feel like it'd be a fair compromise.
It is. I'll just try to keep track of these things to see if I can participate. I've still yet to play anyone on Smashboards (knowingly). So I'd like to.

Whatever will I wear??

:ultzelda::ultlucina::ultzss::ultcorrinf::ultyounglink::ultrobinf:

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
A Discord server for the tournament now exists, feel free to use that to arrange matches if it's more convenient for you, but "official" business like signups and stuff will still have to go through the thread here.

Joining the Discord server isn't obligatory, of course, you can still organise everything through here if you prefer that, too.

Also added a poll for timezones, which might be useful for organising matchups. Think I covered the main ones, but if not just tick the "other" option and post your timezone in the thread. Obviously, don't respond unless you actually plan on entering.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is this Ultomato Ultomato ’s thing, or something else?
If it’s something else, I’d love to participate; Ultomato’s is too early in the morning for me.
. . Or is this just a thing to help organise the time?

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Is this Ultomato Ultomato ’s thing, or something else?
If it’s something else, I’d love to participate; Ultomato’s is too early in the morning for me.
. . Or is this just a thing to help organise the time?
No this is s rival tournament (that seems to be better organised)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
"rival tournament"

ok but there's nothing stopping people from signing up for both... :p

Also we should have the winner of each tournament face off so we can determine which is the better social thread. My money is on whoever wins this one. :p

Anyway, if you want in to this one, you can reply here and/or respond to the poll. Signups will be open here for another while.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Also we should have the winner of each tournament face off so we can determine which is the better social thread. My money is on whoever wins this one. :p
We should do like 2 of these each and then have the top 2 of Both of our tournaments face each other in the Smashboards Summit

BTW if you get to plug your tournament in my thread In get to plug My tournament In your thread

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He posted a link here in my thread quite litterally saying "you guys should go to my tournament because it's better" so I'm returning the favour
Ahh, I see.
So tomorrow, when I’m free to Smash, how will I contact my pool?

Jojalole

Henshin a go go baby!
Switch FC
SW 7943 9867 0675
I wanna play! Sign me up wherever it is. I'm really excited, it's the first time I'll play a tournament with a losers bracket. Don't know when I'll be available to play though, since I've been having a bit of a tight schedule lately. Either way, looking forward to it!

D

Deleted member

Is this about this tournament, or Ultomato's one? Since this one won't be starting until probably next week.
This one.
Ultomato Ultomato is giving me the opportunity to be more flexible regarding the time for his tournament, but regardless, this one would be fun too, if that’s okay.
I need to sleep now, though, so. . .
Night! :happysheep:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Right now we have 11 signups (@ShinyLegendary Are you playing? You joined the Discord server but didn't post anything in here).

How do people feel about running pools? It might make scheduling a bit easier at the start, since I could group people based on stuff like timezones and work/school schedules. (For those who don't know what this means, the basic idea would be that you play each person in your pool once, and then the top 1 or 2 from each pool go through to the regular knockout bracket.)

(also if people want to get some practice matches in, I'm around most of the evening so feel free to hit me up here/on the NZone thread or on the Discord chat :p )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Right now we have 11 signups (@ShinyLegendary Are you playing? You joined the Discord server but didn't post anything in here).

How do people feel about running pools? It might make scheduling a bit easier at the start, since I could group people based on stuff like timezones and work/school schedules. (For those who don't know what this means, the basic idea would be that you play each person in your pool once, and then the top 1 or 2 from each pool go through to the regular knockout bracket.)

(also if people want to get some practice matches in, I'm around most of the evening so feel free to hit me up here/on the NZone thread or on the Discord chat :p )
I am totally playing. Sorry for not responding!

D

Deleted member

I’d love to participate!
This is site is my only means of communication though, so I’d have to contact everyone via here.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I’d love to participate!
This is site is my only means of communication though, so I’d have to contact everyone via here.
Just using the thread is fine since this is technically the "official" location for the tournament. The Discord chat is just there for people who find that more convenient, it's not required to join it or anything.

----

Also for anyone who wants to get some practice in, an arena is open now

ID: 4JWJW
Pass: 0236

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think my connection may be the issue, as it only seems to have started once I joined. .
Is double posting permitted in this thread?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I'm not sure exactly what happened, but there's another one up made by a different person now, so maybe try that instead

ID: KP1JH
Password: 1111

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
in

like my belly button :]

but it may be an outie soon, I'm experimenting with it...

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'm interested in the tournament, though I'll need to check my schedule first and see if I'd be available for it. My main issue on my end will be my online connectivity though. I'm unable to set up an LAN adapter to improve my connection, but I've been finding ways to improve my online connectivity.

Just to ask the others here, how fast are your online connections, download speed-wise? I'd like to know just to see if the Internet I currently have would cause issues if it's slower than everyone else's or not.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Just to ask the others here, how fast are your online connections, download speed-wise? I'd like to know just to see if the Internet I currently have would cause issues if it's slower than everyone else's or not.
Latency (ping time) is what matters most for online gaming, far more than download/upload speed. If you have around 30-40ms latency or better, you should be good (some people report getting good matches even at 50+ms, but that's the point where you'll start really noticing the lag). Though this is Nintendo online, so either way it can be hit-or-miss.

As for schedule, I wouldn't worry too much about it. This isn't going to play out over a single day or two, I'm being fairly lax on that so we can accommodate people's schedules and timezones as much as possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom