• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Tempted to swap out my Zelgius for my Masked Marth in my main team.

I'd lose a Ward Armor, but would gain a highly flexible unit that can work as either a powerhouse with a solid 60/46 offensive statline with a Sealed Falchion build or a really potent pseudo-healer build with the regular Falchion.

Either way, Marth is more useful.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm reading some very strange posts in this thread. How is Nintendo the bad guy for stopping piracy?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm reading some very strange posts in this thread. How is Nintendo the bad guy for stopping piracy?
Because some people think distributing pirated software is game preservation.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Tempted to swap out my Zelgius for my Masked Marth in my main team.

I'd lose a Ward Armor, but would gain a highly flexible unit that can work as either a powerhouse with a solid 60/46 offensive statline with a Sealed Falchion build or a really potent pseudo-healer build with the regular Falchion.

Either way, Marth is more useful.
Don't lie to us, he's getting ****slapped by Micaiah :V

D

Deleted member

Very strange argument if that's their mindset being that a public domain of free roms isn't how you preserve. Preserving them would be putting them in an archive.

The companies still own the rights to these games, they aren't public domain.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
For some games like obscure games and games that were in short print (unless its popular enough to get a sequel/rerelease), it is. For mainstream games though? **** no.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
For some games like obscure games and games that were in short print (unless its popular enough to get a sequel/rerelease), it is. For mainstream games though? **** no.
Even for rare games, distributing the roms doesn't constitute preservation. Making a rom and storing it is preservation. At most some backups given to people but not just dumping it on the net.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Don't lie to us, he's getting ****slapped by Micaiah :V
Nah, I have Grima to deal with the regular one and VaLyntine to deal with the dancing one. :V

With that said, the one reason I keep him (Warp Powder) tends to never be used because he always loses like, a fourth of his HP before I can do shenanigans.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Even for rare games, distributing the roms doesn't constitute preservation. Making a rom and storing it is preservation. At most some backups given to people but not just dumping it on the net.
Eh, debatable. I've pirated my fair share of games before, I got no shame behind it. I mean, people are getting hyped up over the Switch emulation getting better and better by the week.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
>Be me
>Play and complete Xenoblade Chronicles X
>Customize Cross as Mythra
>Learn both signature arts of Elma
>Mythra literally has Ghost Factory as Talent Art in the DLC
unknown.png
>mfw my XCX playthrough is canon

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Oni might be onto something about the Smash reveals. Since Ultimate is very much about chronological order, even the reveal order of the unique newcomers (outside of Inkling) have been in order of the characters first games. So going by that then Geno is probably next!

D

Deleted member

Nintendo is doing the right thing, actually.
909d9601-fe28-48d1-9ee9-1a9e7b7ff7de.jpg

I didn't come here to see people defend Nintendo for taking down the only access to certain games.
Preservation isn't an archive collecting dust that no one can see, preservation is allowing everyone to have access to it. Hell, it can't even be a physical archive because videogame cartridges rot, they become unusable after a while, they need to be stored somewhere this doesn't happen and the internet was the perfect place for it.
"Oh but piracy" only 10% of SNES games are avaible on the Wii U EShop, it can't be piracy if they aren't even selling it. And once that shuts down, the Switch has no Virtual Console program.
And it's not even older games, think of GC/Wii games like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn which are known for their high prices due to how rare they are, Nintendo doesn't profit off them so what's the argument against emulating those?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Oni might be onto something about the Smash reveals. Since Ultimate is very much about chronological order, even the reveal order of the unique newcomers (outside of Inkling) have been in order of the characters first games. So going by that then Geno is probably next!
Then Goku is deconfirmed :V

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So... I guess I've been buying too many games lately.

>Kirby Star Allies
>Minecraft + Bonus Content
>Brawlout

I need to chill. I need to save money. Not spend it. /_\

D

Deleted member

View attachment 158020
I didn't come here to see people defend Nintendo for taking down the only access to certain games.
Preservation isn't an archive collecting dust that no one can see, preservation is allowing everyone to have access to it. Hell, it can't even be a physical archive because videogame cartridges rot, they become unusable after a while, they need to be stored somewhere this doesn't happen and the internet was the perfect place for it.
"Oh but piracy" only 10% of SNES games are avaible on the Wii U EShop, it can't be piracy if they aren't even selling it. And once that shuts down, the Switch has no Virtual Console program.
And it's not even older games, think of GC/Wii games like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn which are known for their high prices due to how rare they are, Nintendo doesn't profit off them so what's the argument against emulating those?
Though if you look at it like that you're looking at it through a specific scope and not the bigger picture. These rom sites are not trying to preserve these games, they are there for you to pirate games, including the more popular ones that are easily accessible. This isn't like a website that is deliberately picking games that don't have available ways to purchase. It merely dumps them all for free, games companies have rights to and still sell.

Some of the most pirated games are ones available to consumers such as the Pokemon games and Mario games.

And here's the thing, no one here is actually entitled to pirate regardless of their own personal justification. I think that's my actual issue with people regarding this topic. If you want to pirate roms, okay, pirate the roms, but please spare me how you are entitled to do so. Just accept the action you are taking, it's not that big of a deal. You don't have to be "morally correct" in every action you make.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Question for Heroes players.

I’ve got a Distant Defense to fodder off, but I’m not sure who to give it to. Any suggestions?
Fun fact: I thought you mentioned Distant Counter there, and it led to me writing up a response detailing Myrrh, but then I looked at your post again and realized you were actually referring to Distant Defense instead. I guess that what happens when you hear about Distant Counter a lot and want the DC fodder yourself!

The only unit that I can think of who would really benefit from Distant Defense is Female Morgan. Combined with her default tome, Flier Buffs, and the Iote's Shield seal, she makes a great Resistance tank that also excels at countering powerful archers like Brave Lyn, KInshi Hinoka, and Summer Takumi that might try to devastate your Flier Emblem team.

If you don't have female Morgan, Distant Defense also works on units that can make good Resistance tanks while also making solid tanks against archers or dagger-users. Faye with the Defense Weapon-Refined Guard Bow is one good example.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So much hate for pirates.

Like, arrr **** you, matey. I'll make you walk the plank, *****.
Did I miss someone about to be lynched because they thought they heard him prefer Zero Mission over Super? Well then...

Zero Mission is my favorite Metroid game :yoshi:
>implying you want to be lynched

he's clearly the joker.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't hate pirates, I just wish people would stop defending their actions by blaming Nintendo for doing the morally correct thing by protecting the games they own the rights to.

Emuparadise making Mario 3 public domain is not preservation, that game is available everywhere.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't hate pirates, I just wish people would stop defending their actions by blaming Nintendo for doing the morally correct thing by protecting the games they own the rights to.

Emuparadise making Mario 3 public domain is not preservation, that game is available everywhere.
pretty much.
There's actually a website up that I play on several times that just has NES ROMS uploaded that you could just play. They have 'em for SNES and Genesis too, not sure if anything beyond that.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 158020
I mean.. I guess the best way is to use an emulator at this point, but there is just something off with pirating games...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean.. I guess the best way is to use an emulator at this point, but there is just something off with pirating games...
Anti-piracy things exist, but I don't know if that's still common practice nowadays.

D

Deleted member

Though if you look at it like that you're looking at it through a specific scope and not the bigger picture. These rom sites are not trying to preserve these games, they are there for you to pirate games, including the more popular ones that are easily accessible. This isn't like a website that is deliberately picking games that don't have available ways to purchase. It merely dumps them all for free, games companies have rights to and still sell.

Some of the most pirated games are ones available to consumers such as the Pokemon games and Mario games.

And here's the thing, no one here is actually entitled to pirate regardless of their own personal justification. I think that's my actual issue with people regarding this topic. If you want to pirate roms, okay, pirate the roms, but please spare me how you are entitled to do so. Just accept the action you are taking, it's not that big of a deal. You don't have to be "morally correct" in every action you make.

And people don't need to act like Nintendo is justified either. They only distribute 10% of the games that were available. There's more lost with this takedown than they actually have a "right" to. The 90% of ROMs lost is not a fair tradeoff at all for 10% of games that Nintendo can profit off(which they use these ROMs for but that's besides the point).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Anti-piracy things exist, but I don't know if that's still common practice nowadays.
Anti-Piracy software, or DRM, still exists in some games.
Works about as well as protection as paper does against a nuclear missile, but it exists.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because I'm trying to calm down, I'm going to put my opinion on this argument. If it's still being sold and can be gotten at a decent price, then piracy isn't justified. If you need to spend a **** ton of money for rare secondhand copies, it's ok because Nintendo isn't going to see a single penny if I buy a 341 dollar copy for Path of Radiance that may or may not work. The best way to combat piracy is make it seem like more of a hassle. I COULD pirate some shows or movies but that simply isn't as convinient as a mere 8 euros per month for a Netflix account

D

Deleted member

And people don't need to act like Nintendo is justified either. They only distribute 10% of the games that were available. There's more lost with this takedown than they actually have a "right" to. The 90% of ROMs lost is not a fair tradeoff at all for 10% of games that Nintendo can profit off(which they use these ROMs for but that's besides the point).
Are you gonna keep posting pretentious reaction images? You can argue without these pics, thank you.

Also, Nintendo did not shut down Emuparadise.

Emuparadise made their own decision after CoolRom, a site that was literally profiting off their games and had them playable on the website itself got sued justifiably so.

Nintendo about a year ago only removed first party from emuparadise, they didn't touch all the other ROMs.

So I ask, why is Nintendo the issue here?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
The best way to combat piracy is make it seem like more of a hassle.
No.

The best way to combat piracy is to make a simple, fair alternative.

Case in point:

I COULD pirate some shows or movies but that simply isn't as convinient as a mere 8 euros per month for a Netflix account
If Nintendo's online service's retro offerings were a Netflix-like library rather than one game a month, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

WiiWare and Virtual Console were the best ways Ninty's had so far to combat piracy. The nuclear option is just dickish. No excuses, no arguments, no exceptions.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Are you gonna keep posting pretentious reaction images? You can argue without these pics, thank you.

Also, Nintendo did not shut down Emuparadise.

Emuparadise made their own decision after CoolRom, a site that was literally profiting off their games and had them playable on the website itself got sued justifiably so.

Nintendo about a year ago only removed first party from emuparadise, they didn't touch all the other ROMs.

So I ask, why is Nintendo the issue here?
Because EmuParadise has been in the thick of this **** for 18 years and has received multiple notices of the stripe.

Who do you think would've been next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom