• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
1. Delphox
2. Meganium
3. Primarina
4. Emboar
5. Torterra

this is fact :V delphox is the best designed starter

she'd be tied with meganium but for the sake of having a 1-5 I put Delphox first.

Chrono.

1. Incineroar
2. Venusaur
3. Meganium
4. Chesnaught
5. Greninja

Honorable mention to Typhlosion and Sceptile.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
His legs get longer because he's based on the stilt owl, an extinct owl species. This is also why he's a Ghost type.
Oh, wow, neato!

Still unfortunately doesn't answer any other problem I have with the design (and I'm actually still mad that he loses the Flying type. . . .) :'^)))))))))

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
1-Incenaroar
2-Feraligatr
3-Typhlosion
4-Sceptile
5-Venusaur

Honorable mention for Samurott and Serperior.

D

Deleted member

For the record, my top 21 would be something like this:
  1. Greninja
  2. Decidueye
  3. Samurott
  4. Venusaur
  5. Infernape
  6. Swampert
  7. Primarina
  8. Incineroar
  9. Blaziken
  10. Sceptile
  11. Typhlosion
  12. Blastoise
  13. Empoleon
  14. Torterra
  15. Charizard
  16. Emboar
  17. Chesnaught
  18. Meganium
  19. Feraligatr
  20. Serperior
  21. Delphox
I don't like the last four, but Delphox is the only one that I genuinely hate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
this is what i wanted from the rowlet line

as it stands, i have to say decidueye is the WORST designed Pokemon
these dont look good at all
I am going to take a nap.

I feel like I am growing up to be Squidward.
Everyone grew up to be Squidward, Squidward is basickly what we would be if we were in bikini bottom

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I guess I'll do my top 21 as well.

1. Delphox
2. Meganium
3. Primarina
4. Emboar
5. Torterra
6. Greninja
7. Empoleon
8. Samurott
9. Blastoise
10. Venusaur
11. Swampert
12. Serperior
13. Feraligatr
14. Charizard
15. Infernape
16. Typhlosion
17. Chesnaught
18. Sceptile
19. Blaziken
20. Incineroar
21. Decidueye

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I said out.

There's nothing wrong with a game wanting to say something meaningful, what bothers me is this "can games be art?" trend that seems to believe for a game to be art, it has to be some deep significant ****. That statement effectivelly says the game can't be 'fun' as it would otherwise be a detriment to its narrative. Games are a form of entertainment and if you can't even make your game fun, you failed at its primary function. Use games for whatever function you wish, just don't forget what games essentially are at their base: fun.
And this isn't something exclusive to games, mind you, it just seems more prominent in games themselves because they're not necessarily narrative-driven yet we keep seeing games try to tackle certain topics in their narratives that just come off as pretentious.
Games can be art, the people who have to question that are just uninformed on the medium.

The Last of Us, the original game, had fun mechanics. At its base, it was a third person action game with survival horror elements. While I wouldn't call the mechanics innovative (certainly not as much as the original reveal trailers promised), they were executed well enough and you could have a fun time. There was even online multiplayer too. Without the compelling narrative I'd say most places would rate it a 7/10.

For the story though, The Last of Us did deal with themes that aren't "fun" per se, but you know, it had a lot of deeper narrative themes and moments that both made you think and made your heart ache. Just like how something like Super Mario is meant to make you feel joy, something like The Last of Us is, at times, gonna put you in uncomfortable situations that may not be "fun" but are engaging to experience and play through.

The Last of Us actually used it's game mechanics to empower many of its themes too, which is something I really appreciate. Games are art, but not many games directly use mechanics to convey artistic themes. Which is something I feel is important, as it's a trait unique to video games, and can't be accomplished in other mediums.

I don't think there is anything pretentious about this. While I don't agree with everything Neil Druckmann says or like every decision he's made as a writer, it's important to understand he's pretty strictly speaking about the narrative here. Because that's his main focus. He leaves game mechanics to the rest of the teams and they make the game fun to play. And then those fun mechanics can be used effectively for those hard hitting, uncomfortable moments.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
In my opinion people put too much weight into concept and not enough into execution.

Plenty of pokemon sound cool on paper but were weakly executed, and lots of outright dumb ideas were turned into very successful designs.

Just being an Owl Archer has nothing to do with whether he looks good or not.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unfezant is unconventional as ****, is a letdown after the sheer badassery known as Staraptor and I could forgive it if it wasn't for that hideous mask
The only thing holding Unfezant back is the lack of Brave Bird, really. He gets that, he's good to go.

And the mask is far from hideous. The concept is tied to male birds having more extravagant plumage to attract mates is flawlessly executed by means of a masquerade ball mask. The pink/green/gray color scheme is lovely.

Meanwhile Staraptor has the "it's not a phase, mom" edgy blood Mohawk. :p

D

Deleted member

1. Incineroar
@GoldenYuiitusin
I know you will like this.
For the record, my top 21 would be something like this:
  1. Greninja
  2. Decidueye
  3. Samurott
  4. Venusaur
  5. Infernape
  6. Swampert
  7. Primarina
  8. Incineroar
  9. Blaziken
  10. Sceptile
  11. Typhlosion
  12. Blastoise
  13. Empoleon
  14. Torterra
  15. Charizard
  16. Emboar
  17. Chesnaught
  18. Meganium
  19. Feraligatr
  20. Serperior
  21. Delphox
I don't like the last four, but Delphox is the only one that I genuinely hate.
1. Greninja
2. Charizard
3. Infernape
4. Swampert
5. Venusaur
6. Blastoice
7. Empoleon
8. Incineroar
9. Sceptile
10. Feraligatr
11. Samurott
12. Decidueye
13. Serperior
14. Primera
15. Typhlosion
16. Emboar
17. Torterra
18. Meganium
19. Delphox
20. Chesnaught
21. Blaziken
>Notices title change
no
I like it because I like how random and funny it is.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Here’s my Mega Typlosion concept!

Mega Typhlosion
Type: Fire/Ground
Ability: Storm Drain

HP: 78
ATK: 84 -> 84 (0)
DEF: 78 -> 108 (+30)
SPA: 109 -> 149 (+40)
SPD: 85 -> 85 (0)
SPE: 100 -> 130 (+30)
BST: 534 -> 634 (+100)

New Moves: Earth Power, Thunderbolt

So, Camerupt thinks it can be the only one who can get away with the Fire/Ground volcano shtick, can it? How about Sceptile, thinking it can almost-completely wall Rotom-W? Well, this Mega Typhlosion is finally hoping to make a claim for itself, and try to outdo both of those two. Now, ask yourself the question: when facing a fire, what do you use to extinguish it? Water? Guess again. Thanks to Storm Drain, Mega Typhlosion's now double weakness to Water is erased and Typhlosion's Special Attack gets a boost when it activates. And thanks to its new Ground-type, it's no longer weak to Stealth Rock, so it has a much easier time switching in. Here's something interesting that I found, Storm Drain's name in the Japanese version is “Pump Priming.” “Priming”, according to the dictionary, can mean “a substance which primes something for use or action” or “ a small container or wafer of explosive material such as gunpowder, used to ignite the main explosive charge of a firearm or explosive.” Given how Typhlosion's explosive flames are when it gets angry, it's like it burns so ferociously that the water evaporates before it gets a chance to harm it, 'priming' it ready for battle. Plus, I wanted an excuse to give something an immunity to a type which it would normally be doubly weak to, but I think the theme behind it justifies its inclusion. Or, y’know, Sheer Force... It fits Typhlosion's explosive nature, and is an easy generic ability to boost a Pokemon's performance.

The two new moves go a huge way in giving Typhlosion coverage options, something which it really lacks. Earth Power is of course to fit with its Ground typing, and why a Volcano Pokemon can't learn Earth Power is beyond me. As for Thunderbolt, when a volcano erupts a lightning storm can follow, more accurately known as volcanic lightning. This makes Thunderbolt a thematically fitting option as volcanoes can cause thunder.

With any luck, Typhlosion's new Mega will be enough of a popularity and power boost to skyrocket it to one of UU's most dominating threats, maybe even staking its claim in the OU tier too, as well as serving an interesting niche in checking both Primal Kyorge and Groudon in the current VGC metagame. I've always wondered whether a Pokémon getting an ability that negates a double weakness would be too overpowered, but outside of Rotom-H there's none that I can immediately think of that exist. Storm Drain on something which would otherwise have a huge weakness to Water-type moves can certainly lead to some interesting playstyles. I just hope that it isn't too powerful...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The only thing holding Unfezant back is the lack of Brave Bird, really. He gets that, he's good to go.

And the mask is far from hideous. The concept is tied to male birds having more extravagant plumage to attract mates is flawlessly executed by means of a masquerade ball mask. The pink/green/gray color scheme is lovely.

Meanwhile Staraptor has the "it's not a phase, mom" edgy blood Mohawk. :p
Nah fam what holds it back is it's special based movepull

Pink and green is a terrible colour scheme, one of my favourite Rider seasons uses it and I like the design but it's so off putting

You're just jealous your bird can't solo the ice gym

Chrono.

Male Unfezant is cool as ****.

Female Unfezant is bland as hell.

Though I used Braviary over them.

D

Deleted member

I think Male Unfezant looks stupid and female Unfezant looks bland.
With that said, my least favorite regional bird has always been Pidgeot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
y'all putting meganium and delphox in your bottom 5 starters but i think y'all just don't want to admit they're two of the best designed pokemon :'//// :confused: !!!!

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I suppose since everyone else is doing it, I may as well say who my top 5 starters are.

1. Samurott
2. Venusaur
3. Infernape
4. Greninja
5. Sceptile

Honorable mentions include Primarina and Decidueye.

D

Deleted member

Mega Magikarp
HP: 999
ATK: 999
DEF: 999
SPA: 999
SPD: 999
SPE: 999
BST: 5994
Type: Flawless
Immune to every type. Every Pokémon is 4* weak to this type.

New move!

The Almighty Splash

Type: Flawless
It is neither, because it is an automatic KO move.
PP: Infinite
Power: Instant KO
Accuracy: Never misses no matter what.
Move Description: Instant kills anything no matter what item or anything. This will also never miss no matter what. You can not protect, substitute, hide in some two turn move or anything. It also has priority over any move in the game.

Edit: I know this Move Description is bad but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix
Hey so I just got spoiled by the last page of the new MHA chapter and GUESS ****ING WHAT

That's exactly what I mean. "Friendly" my ***, that ***** killed Blue in cold blood and stole his identity
It's going to be some good ****.

I have to wonder if Dabi is going to do anything next chapter. I figure he'd wanted Endeavour to fall as hard as possible, while he's at the height of being the number 1 hero, rather than when he's just starting out.

Also, RIP Hawks as no.2 hero? Looks like the poor guys feather's are all but burnt out at this point, so there isn't much he can do to carry out his hero work.

Also, have you see tumblr getting up in arms about the Endeavour development? It's kind of amusing and sad at the same time.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If I may, I'll compare Greninja to Decidueye, as they're both meant to be evocative of common character archetypes, ninja or ranger.

Greninja has a clever design. It evokes the failry cliche ninja-with-a-cool-scarf imagery, but justifies it using it a natural element of the animal it's based on. The tongue scarf is wonderfully goofy, and the bright pink color gels extremely well with the darker blue skin tones, which is also a common color for ninja to wear across media.

Dedicueye's design lacks that justification. It's just got a hood made of out leaves because grass type. Now, in a way, I'm happy they didn't go for the immediately obvious choice when trying to make a bird look like an archer, but at the same time, the most common Robin Hood design has a very iconic pointed hat that easily fits the shape of many different bird species' crests, and the fact it has one giant feather to accent it only makes the design feel all the more logical. Decidueye is "cool," in that his wings kind of form the mantle of a cloak, but I don't think he's anywhere near as evocative of an archer as he could have been, and thus, has a weaker design.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The Virgin Unfezant vs The Chad Staraptor

-Weak*** 115 attack stat
-Needs a mask to look cool
-No Close Combat
-Spams Swagger to cover its own insecurities
-Probably took a dump on you car
-Interrupts your Audino grinding
-Used by Alain; the plot armored weirdo who likes lolis
-Smells bad

-Absolutely boss 120 attack stat
-What did you say about my hair?
-CLOSE COMBAT
-Can run HM Fly and Defog and still be helpful in fights
-Dude owns your car now
-Rarely in the wild because you gotta earn one by training
-Reckless to hit Brave Birds harder in your face
-Rhymes with Predator and Terminator
-It Intimidates you by smelling your fear

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got a scam pop up from this site. Pretending it was a security alert and using low quality jpegs

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
No surprise Shiny ended up liking that status lmao

Gurl, I totally LOATHE Gen 5. Already posted more cons on that one than pros

Tried it, got too boring for me to use so I traded my team to the other game I completed, get them at high levels, then bring them back and destroy the rest of the game
I thought we had something and you go and ruin it by saying you hate gen 5. :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Virgin Unfezant vs The Chad Staraptor

-Weak*** 115 attack stat
-Needs a mask to look cool
-No Close Combat
-Spams Swagger to cover its own insecurities
-Probably took a dump on you car
-Interrupts your Audino grinding
-Used by Alain; the plot armored weirdo who likes lolis
-Smells bad

-Absolutely boss 120 attack stat
-What did you say about my hair?
-CLOSE COMBAT
-Can run HM Fly and Defog and still be helpful in fights
-Dude owns your car now
-Rarely in the wild because you gotta earn one by training
-Reckless to hit Brave Birds harder in your face
-Rhymes with Predator and Terminator
-It Intimidates you by smelling your fear
BOIIIIII.PNG

boii.PNG

I do not hate Unfezant to death, but Staraptor superior in almost every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom