• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
So I'm playing Smash Ultimate today and my Switch goes frigging balistic in that it made this huge "siren-like" sound similar to what you would hear in a fire alarm or something.

I mean it malfunctioned when I tried to boot it several times but then all of a sudden it goes completely haywire and it makes that loud *** sound. I also tried looking this up but I couldn't find anyone who had this problem before.
Don't worry it's just summoning Silent Hill. Grab a wooden plank and some health drinks and you should be fine

KMDP

Smash Legend
This whole discussion started because I made a post about it. I couldn't even celebrate the fact without people going "actually, I feel it's forced". I'm simply tired of straight people acting like they know what the LGBT community wants or needs. This page alone proves what I'm saying considering the first thing ya'll think is "it's pandering" and that there needs some sort of "naturally geling up" for minorities to be included.
People just ****ing exist, the confirmation that they exist should not spark a debate over whether or not their inclusion is forced or not. Just let us have this for once, I just want to be able to have gay characters without having to defend them like I'm in some ***-backwards place.
The issue, I think, is that sexuality tends to be (or at least appears to be) something of an after-thought for writers unless that is what they're specifically going for (and that's pretty rare in mainstream media).

To create an example, I was trying to think of characters in pop culture who weren't established as Gay until after the fact, and I was hard pressed to think of any. I can think of characters like Dumbledore or Tracer, but they were established as gay after being revealed (Tracer a lot sooner in production than Dumbledore, to be fair).

I can't remember if Kate Kane (Batwoman) was revealed as Gay after she debuted (there was, at least, a definitively straight version of her prior to the modern incarnation, but that's a different character in a different universe), but Renee Montoya was definitely established as Gay after she was a character for years.

The generous interpretation is that they're establishing the character first so people will accept their sexuality more freely, which depending on point of view speaks ill of society as a whole (that such a thing is necessary, or perceived to be necessary), but sometimes it doesn't feel that way, usually because tabloids tend to blow up about it, which makes what might be a genuine attempt at creating depth seem artificial.

The point I'm trying to make is that I want there to be non-straight characters in fiction without people making a big deal out of it too, coming from the other side as a straight person.

Note: While writing this post, I thought of some characters who were quickly established as non-straight, Harley Quinn (albeit by implication), Undyne and Alphys.
EDIT: Also, the Crystal Gems of Steven Universe, I can't believe I forgot Ruby, Sapphire, Pearl and Rose.
I never mentioned punishing people for past views, only not to excuse those past views. Especially since there are indeed people in the past and present that have the same views that they did in the past. Just because a view in the past was popular doesn't mean it was good, just because a view now is popular doesn't mean it's good. Don't excuse the past just because it's the past, it needs to be evaluated rather than brushed off.
I think we're mostly in agreement then, on this front.
The normalization of something really depends on culture. You wouldn't need to go through the process of those caricatures if you didn't have a culture that demonized homosexuality in the first place.
It's unfortunate that people had to do what is effectively damage control in the 60s-90s because of things that happened in 1800s-1950s, but that's what I meant when I said such things were "necessary".
Firstly the idea of the "LGBT community" is such a silly concept really. Especially since we can be divided as much as we are united. I sure as heck wasn't celebrating 76 coming out, I'm not familiar with the character.
I'm not really familiar with the character either, the first I had heard of it was the comic posted a page ago.

But you're right, there's no such thing as the "LGBT Community", just like there's no such thing as a "Straight Community" (now, race, that's a little more complicated, even then, they aren't one big homogeneous hivemind).
[QUOTE}It's ironic because them being treated as normal is what's considered special. You don't achieve normalization by "being normal" when people and the law itself don't see your sexuality as something of normality.

Honestly, when people say "the gays should just act normal and people would accept them", it's just another form of saying go hide in the closet.[/QUOTE]
I think you're thinking of the point I was making backwards.

I didn't mean "Gay people should act normal (straight)", what I meant was "Straight people should stop acting like non-straight people are abnormal".

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Don't worry it's just summoning Silent Hill. Grab a wooden plank and some health drinks and you should be fine
Jokes aside, it scared the **** out of me and I felt really embarrassed because I wasn't the only one present at the time it happened. You could pratically hear it throughout the whole house.

Maybe this issue is related to the fan of my Switch which seems to be noisy at times but it really should have never done this. Gonna be cheesed if it continues to do this.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The first boss of Persona 5 was
A gym teacher that abused and assumably sexual assulted a student who in turn tried to kill herself. In his palace he has a version of the girl Ann, 16-17, wearing a bikini
TLDR: The first boss Kamoshida is a creep
They’re not all like this, right?

D

Deleted member

The sole fact we'd never have this discussion about a straight character makes this inherently about sexuality. Because it's the character"s sexuality here that is determining whether or not they're discussed.
All I'm asking is for people to please shut up and stop talking about things they don't know about but pretend to do. It's not the place for any hetero to determine whether or not a gay character is well represented. It's not about opinions considering my own opinion has been completely ignored with people saying "AKSHUALLY" and not once has the opinion of an actual LGBT user been asked by the people who are calling this "pandering". All I wanted was to celebrate the confirmation of another LGBT character in a game I enjoy and if I butted up on someone talking about how they like something only for me to say "actually, it sucks", I'd be painted as the villain.
So I'll ask this one last time: please stop.

Anyone who replies to this trying to justify this ****ty behaviour while completely ignoring everything I've said is getting blocked.

KMDP

Smash Legend
They’re not all like this, right?
No, not at all.

Kamoshida is just like that to elicit a strong response from the player to make you want to go after him.

All the subsequent targets are definitely bad, but nowhere near as... um... you know.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Alright, executive decision time.

This conversation isn't going much of anywhere concerning LGBT representation and all, and I hate to do this but this is counter-productive and I don't see an easy resolution in sight. Please drop it now before tempers flare up even more than they already have.

You all are better than this. Learn to debate while being respectful at the same time. It's not that hard.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Come on guys let's all just get along again! If Nintendo all stars can do it, so can we.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

This conversation isn't going much of anywhere concerning LGBT representation and all, and I hate to do this but this is counter-productive and I don't see an easy resolution in sight. Please drop it now before tempers flare up even more than they already have.

You all are better than this. Learn to debate while being respectful at the same time. It's not that hard.
Aw man, and just as I was about to go out in style. :drflip: though,excluding the group of certain people because "they don't get it!!" for homos on heteros is arguably just as bad as vice versa

Come on guys let's all just get along again! If Nintendo all stars can do it, so can we.
Top 10 Pictures taken moments before disaster.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No, not at all.

Kamoshida is just like that to elicit a strong response from the player to make you want to go after him.

All the subsequent targets are definitely bad, but nowhere near as... um... you know.
TBH, that was kinda lame.
Kamoshida felt like a real presence and everyone else feels like a sunday morning cartoon villain.
Like Madarame was already a "bad guy" and then they kept adding more and more stupid **** to his backstory to make him even more evil and I'm just like "really?"

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Not pictured: the bedlam that happened immediately after.
Second question how long until the girl I had as an avy joins the group?
If you mean Haru (the poofy haired girl), she's...
...the last to join, I'm afraid.

D

Deleted member

Ironically this upsets me way more then the discussion, where I actually did indeed feel like I was getting somewhere with the other person.

But hey, can't talk about gay people problems, that's too harsh on people apparently.

Edit: Okay, nevermind. I wasn't caught up when I posted this, I see what you're talking about now. May I please politely discuss the issue? I do think it matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Ironically this upsets me way more then the discussion, where I actually did indeed feel like I was getting somewhere with the other person.

But hey, can't talk about gay people problems, that's too harsh on people apparently.

Edit: Okay, nevermind. I wasn't caught up when I posted this, I see what you're talking about now. May I please politely discuss the issue? I do think it matters.
I understand what you are saying here, but I can't let this continue in good faith. While you may be calm and ready, I'm not sure if everyone is calm and ready.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Not pictured: the bedlam that happened immediately after.

If you mean Haru (the poofy haired girl), she's...
...the last to join, I'm afraid.
I’m talking about the girl with like the short brown hair.

Chrono.

TBH, that was kinda lame.
Kamoshida felt like a real presence and everyone else feels like a sunday morning cartoon villain.
Like Madarame was a "bad guy" and then they kept adding more and more stupid **** to his backstory to make him even more evil and I'm just like "really?"
P5 is kinda like this in general.

The story and characters start out really strong and then peeter out back to the status quo by the time you get Futaba.

Ryuji and Ann got it kinda bad. But the villains weren't all that great either. I mean Shido was a piece of **** but his whole fight gave me too much senator Armstrong flashbacks to take it seriously.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If you mean me, the discussion did get me to reevaluate the points I was making, moreso in trying to make what I was trying to say more clear.

Like I said before, I actually think we agree on said points (albeit for different reasons and purposes).
To be a bit candid, I grew up in that... ugh... wonderful period of time where homosexuality was still considered a character trait to be made fun of in the school yard (went to a Boy's Private School); while I am straight, I didn't project much of an air of sexuality, didn't often engage in conversations about the subject, and claimed to "not be ready for girls" when directly asked about it, obviously my peers took that to me "well, obviously he's gay", and was bullied for it (mostly in the form of ostracisation and name-calling).

So I do have a taste of what it's like to be treated badly because of one's sexuality, and it's something I'd rather went away.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I’m talking about the girl with like the short brown hair.
I guess I was thinking of someone else, whoops.

Regarding Makoto, she's introduced early enough to get a lot of characterization beforehand, but while she also joins "late", she joins early enough that there's a good amount of time to follow up on her character in the Cutscenes and Confidants.
Haru kind of gets the short end of the stick, she gets introduced pretty late, and doesn't have much time to get development as a result
Yep, good boy Yusuke is the 3rd character given
Shouldn't he be the fourth?

Ryuji, Morgana, Ann, Yusuke.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Im assuming they are playing Persona 5. The first palace(dungeon) is very....not ok in that regard.
Oh gosh, the more Persona 5 being mentioned, it makes me want to get PS4 even more.
I want to get the PS4 "Days of Play" console... there are still newer ones out there and they are pretty cheap BUT
Here are my concerns of getting it:
- PS4 is a home console only, unlike Switch, I can't take PS4 where ever I go. So even if I do get PS4, chances are I might unable to pack it up that easily.
- There isn't much games that made me want to buy the console, sure I do want to try out Spiderman, Nier: Automata, Ni No Kuni II etc... but they aren't the games that I will be willing to spends hours in my home playing.

So yeah, I may get PS4, but as a retrospective purchase though.
It was. But for some reason, nobody seems to know that nobody is criticising a character for being gay. But when people are criticising how it was handled, some people seem to think that it also includes criticising that the character is gay, which nobody is doing.

I already mentioned how the way it was revealed in the book was already good on it's own. It was casual. It didn't come out as forced in the book. They were talking about the past, and eventually, it came to their past relationships and Soldier's relationship just turned out to be a guy, but they never emphasised the fact that he dated a guy, they emphasized that Soldier did want to have a family, but it didn't turn out as wanted, and despite still having feelings, Soldier is willing to move on due to his former love being happy with their life. You could replace the former love with anybody, whether they'd be a boy or girl and the sentence and emphasis of Soldier wanting a family back then would still be the same.
Exactly, and I already aware that people will disagree on my opinion and give TONS of backlashes and explanation, and even say they're tired of how I personally think it was forced... so yeah some people here are even bother by other's own opinions, but hey it is what it is. I have been on this forum site for years and this is somewhat of an unfortunate trait when it comes to forums site not only here but also sites like Gematsu, Resetera, and even Reddit to some extent.

Hm... after your explanation, you know what? I think I will "sort of" take back what I thought on Soldier 76, it wasn't all forced but yeah like how you mentioned... it would be nice if Blizzard focus on making Overwatch better more than like... that...

I like Overwatch but I easily felt that Overwatch... its popularity was somewhat of a fad... after the rise of Battle Royale games like PUBG and Fortnite, there isn't much talk on Overwatch anymore until this appeared.
Overwatch Team and Jeff Kaplin really need to work on more bigger stuff, like... yeah this sounds super obvious but... port Overwatch to Nintendo Switch. Since Blizzard has Diablo III on Switch, and Blizzard (Activision actually) that they want to focus on mobile platform, porting Overwatch on Switch can be a great start.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Ok, so season 2 episode 10 of MHA is...

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite episode so far in the show, by far. The match between Deku and Todoroki is not only amazing to watch, but it does character development right in many ways. Absolute beauty.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Makoto as a character I'm not too hot on.
Makoto as a basic archetyoe is hyper targeted toward my tastes.

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite episode so far in the show, by far. The match between Deku and Todoroki is not only amazing to watch, but it does character development right in many ways. Absolute beauty.
b5b.jpg

Glad to see people enjoying it.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
With My Hero Academia right now, season 2 is certainly better than season 1. I enjoyed season 1 overall, but season 2 is masterful. And I'm only halfway through. While I'd give s1 an 8/10, s2 is shaping up to be a perfect 10/10 at the pace it's going...maybe. We'll see. There's one thing that I can't get off my mind...and it relates to Mineta. Not really directly, but indirectly.

Yusuke is personally, the best character in the party. hes just..just .. so cute and just so.. View attachment 186390
Off topic kinda, but I love Hell's Kitchen so thus your post is top tier. <3

KMDP

Smash Legend
I like Overwatch but I easily felt that Overwatch... its popularity was somewhat of a fad... after the rise of Battle Royale games like PUBG and Fortnite, there isn't much talk on Overwatch anymore until this appeared.
It just had unfortunate timing. had the Battle Royale genre not shown up and taken off, Overwatch would either still be around, or only just fizzling out around about now.

Though, I am saying this as someone who doesn't play shooters.

...I wonder what the next big thing will be...?

Deku vs Todoroki is awesome, it's definitely the highlight of the Sports Festival

Most of (what we get to see of) the tournament is great, and it has big ramifications for the story going forward (I won't say how), this is more than can be said for most tournament arcs.

There are some people who think Todoroki's turnaround is a little too sudden, but...
...Horikoshi actually does address this, in a natural way for the character, later on.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Anyone who replies to this trying to justify this ****ty behaviour while completely ignoring everything I've said is getting blocked.
You know me, I couldn't careless about being blocked or not lol. And if you think that was my intention hen I reply this, that's your own thinking tbh.
I just think your post was pretty interesting to check out to say the least. It sums up how this thread is sometimes. (Also... your problem as well to be even more honest)
It just had unfortunate timing. had the Battle Royale genre not shown up and taken off, Overwatch would either still be around, or only just fizzling out around about now.

It's really hard to say... I'm really curious too but I'm also a bit pessimistic since we have seen how Blizzard is recently.

Yeah, I think the discussion can go well and not heated. It's really certain users' problem if I have to be real here. And yes, that actually includes me lol.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So I just played DMC3 the first time for a couple of hours. Goddamn do I suck lmao, died to the first ****ing boss like 6 times
The first boss is EASILY the hardest in that game (or at least among the hardest - obviously, the final boss is up there), whether it's due to a lack of health, a lack of options, or the insane amount of damage and range that the boss has.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

Deku vs Todoroki is awesome, it's definitely the highlight of the Sports Festival

Most of (what we get to see of) the tournament is great, and it has big ramifications for the story going forward (I won't say how), this is more than can be said for most tournament arcs.

There are some people who think Todoroki's turnaround is a little too sudden, but...
...Horikoshi actually does address this, in a natural way for the character, later on.
I don't see the turn as "sudden" at all. Todoroki does regress slightly in the finals vs. Bakugo, so I think his character development is at a decent enough pace. He's learning, but it's not gonna be free-flowing and immediate. He will take many steps forward, but there will be times where it seems like he takes steps back. That's how natural growth works in real life, and I think it's written very well. Todoroki has the best character development in the show so far, I'd say...and he's one of my top 2. The other is Bakugo of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom