• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
...OK, I was cool with WoL concept...but 40 hours?

I think everyone would have been cool with something like 10-15~ hours at best with a new game + of sort to keep peoples who like the mode to go back and replay everything, but 40 hours? Without any story in it to distract the repetitif gameplay?

While I was cool with WoL ideas and probably will take my time with it since I'm pretty cool with repetitive task(aslong as there is enough variety) I fear that that redoing the same stuff is going to get old pretty fast for most peoples. Then again, repetitive task, Smash Bros and adventure mode were always together most of the time, with Melee adventure Mode being cool at first but afterwhile, it got just old and boring to do with every characters if you wanted all of their trophies, ESS level design and enemy being pretty boring most of the time, and Smash 4...Smash 4 singleplayer wasn't great in general.

So yeah, sad that WoL isn't more varied and shorter. The map look great tho, I wonder what sort of easter egg there is in it, and I still like spirits overall, I wonder what crazy ideas they come up with in battle, so spirits will probably hold my interest the most.

In short, I'm dissapointed, but hey, atleast it be something to do.

Plus, there could always be update that add new content into the game, since every big game on the switch seem to get new updates that just improve the game biggest problems by alot. (Kirby Star Allies, Xenoblade 2 & Mario Tennis Ace (from what I heard) updates are good exemples among others I'm probably forgetting)

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ultimate shoulda had unlockable alts

Wait- 40 hours for WoL? I thought it was gonna be like 10. That’s definitely not an effective way to unlock characters

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ultimate shoulda had unlockable alts

Wait- 40 hours for WoL? I thought it was gonna be like 10. That’s definitely not an effective way to unlock characters
WoL isn't the only way to unlock characters, in fact, you can unlock them pretty fast apparantly with the right method, so it won't probably take much time to play your favourite characters.

For Mii (hahah, funny joke), you can just create a :4miibrawl::4miigun: or :4miisword: and they will unlock right away, so all I have to get are the costumes and headset, which....I hope I can unlock them fast enough....

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Hi, I know I'm really late (just woke up) but since Red didn't manage to give a proper sauce, I want to try and help where I can. It's a twitch emote

View attachment 181802

(I think you might like the corn too)

I can't tell you the exact channel though, I downloaded the picture for the Mythra reaction (as Red). I tried looking back on my twitter feed because I know I downloaded it from there, and I know the date I downloaded it (19 of September), but I CANT.

Does anyone know how to see the old tweets from an account? I tried using the Twitter advanced search but it gave no results at all... Why would Twitter be like that, not letting me just scroll down, god dammit. I'll try in my computer just in case it's stuff from the mobile version, but that thing sucks.
I'm a simple man. When I see Rem and Tamamo, I like!

This artist has good taste!

Chrono.

LOL DreamcastGuy pirated Smash, reviewed it and said he got a review copy.

That's ballsy.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
You'll never turn me into a loli! Never!
Aren’t you a boy? You wouldn’t become a loli.

WoL isn't the only way to unlock characters, in fact, you can unlock them pretty fast apparantly with the right method, so it won't probably take much time to play your favourite characters.

For Mii (hahah, funny joke), you can just create a :4miibrawl::4miigun: or :4miisword: and they will unlock right away, so all I have to get are the costumes and headset, which....I hope I can unlock them fast enough....
Oh I know. I thought it would be like Subspace Emissary and take like 10 hours and then you got everyone.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
WoL is probably the slowest method to unlock characters, especially if your specific favourites happen to be at the latter end of the mode. However, it will most likely have some stuff to unlock from beating it and you will unlock a bunch of Spirits and CDs and stuff along the way too, I'm sure, so it's worth doing just to unlock a bulk of the game's content.

Classic Mode is best for getting a specific character first. It's all based around a sort of chain of unlocks, each of the starters unlocks a character and then the unlocked character has a potential character they unlock depending on who you unlocked before unlocking them, and some of them make sense at least. Not all of them do though.

VS Mode spamming is the fastest overall but you're dedicating over an hour to the monotonous task of resetting the game and so on and I'd honestly rather just play through the game and multi-task and unlock other stuff along the way.

My plan is, first and foremost, to beat Classic Mode with Mario to get a feel for the game, but also because...

you unlock Sonic by doing so

...and then I'll probably jump into World of Light and focus on that exclusively for as long as I can handle it at least. I expect my brother will be visiting too so he might wanna play a few matches which will break up the monotony.

D

Deleted member

>Singleplayer content is +40 hours
"Ugh, why did they give us so much content? I hate having to play this game I'm buying!"
Seriously, I don't get you guys sometimes.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Tomorrow is... the day.
My DAY already came TODAY.

Ok, I gotta say, this may be shocking to some but... I don't consider Smash Ultimate a worthy the be called "Ultimate", sure we have the biggest roster ever in this game,...
That being said quote me if I am wrong but there is absolutely no description on the Spirits right? Also the spirits stats and how to level them up need a bit of get used to.

Next I found Multi Man Smash that we all love (Right?lol) changed to "Mob Smash"... why??? And then the 100 Man Smash is now call "Century Smash", and maybe it's because Mario's damage dealt is nerfed... it is now more harder to knock those opponents out compare to Smash 4 a bit.

Next up could be just personal issues but I found pro controllers being slightly less responsive than how I use Gamecube back on the Wii U. So yeah I might go with Gamecube controller if I can next time.

But hey, the Classic Mode is amazing, World of Light is also good, and the fact you can rematch new characters if you lost is also great.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Ugh, why did they give us so much content? I hate having to play this game I'm buying!"
40+ hours of the same thing is not content.

It's literally the same as like, grinding Training Tower in FE Heroes for resources. Sure, you need to do it to get what you want, but nobody genuinely enjoys the task.

Potato_

Smash Lord
To be fair, if it's 40 hours of the same fights against the AI with small changes in the gameplay such as them starting with increased stats or having an item then yeah I get the complaints.

At least there's the boss fights which should be fun and a nice change of pace in the mode. I'm thinking I'll enjoy Spirits a lot more than these reviews are suggesting but we'll see, their complaints make sense.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
World of Light’s probably going to be best enjoyed in small doses rather than hours upon hours.

I wonder if the 40+ hour play time is for 100% completion or just playing It causally?

Potato_

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if the VS mode method unlocks characters randomly, or is it a set list it goes down?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean I said it from the start - World of Light had the potential to be really great, it was just missing two key ingredients - the actual Adventure levels, and SOME form of character interaction to give the mode some flavour and purpose beyond "unlock the things". Like, I already think the idea of a non-descript JRPG final boss wiping the whole cast sans one character is a pretty lame idea for a crossover game story, but Sakurai made it clear that the story was an afterthought so whatever...but that doesn't stop them from adding little character interactions here and there, even just a cute animation when you rescue a character or a single line of text dialogue of them thanking you or whatever. But no, it's literally just you get a PNG of the character and "Mario joins the battle!" and that's it. There's no heart or soul in that.

World of Light reeks of something they maybe wanted to do something more with, but couldn't, the mode was kinda just not a priority. Which is understandable...but then why is it 40+ hours? Why pad it out to that degree? Especially when Spirits Board already exists for Spirit farming and in general for experiencing Spirit Battles? They reskinned a mode in the game that didn't need to be reskinned. At that point, I would have rather they just spent the time on bringing back Smash Run. Now THERE'S the real glaring omission. I can take not getting another proper adventure mode, but Smash Run kinda gave me my platforming/adventure fix in a miniature form, while also doubling as a fun new multiplayer mode which Ultimate could expand upon.

Also there is no excuse for WoL not having at least local co-op. That would have made things way more bearable. At least I can unlock the stuff with a friend that way (making a point to say that because the common defense for any crititicism of any Smash single-player stuff is "STOP PLAYING SMASH SOLO YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS REEEE", I played a ton of co-op Subspace thank you very much). But as it stands, even if you often have people to play with, you'd still have to said aside that 40+ hours to play alone and that's silly when they could have just given it co-op.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
How did I know that people would be complaining about Single Player?

Seriously, we went from "Subspace Bad" to "Pls Subspace" in the span of like a year.

D

Deleted member

40+ hours of the same thing is not content.

It's literally the same as like, grinding Training Tower in FE Heroes for resources. Sure, you need to do it to get what you want, but nobody genuinely enjoys the task.
To be fair, if it's 40 hours of the same fights against the AI with small changes in the gameplay such as them starting with increased stats or having an item then yeah I get the complaints.

At least there's the boss fights which should be fun and a nice change of pace in the mode. I'm thinking I'll enjoy Spirits a lot more than these reviews are suggesting but we'll see, their complaints make sense.
This is a ****ing fighting game, what the hell were you guys expecting? It's not mindless grinding, it's playing the damn core gameplay. There's enough variety in Spirit Battles that they're more diverse than your average fighting game session.
And people act as if you have to go through all of WoL and do nothing else when you can just, you know, do anything else inbetween.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
None of what people are saying about WoL will stop me from enjoying it

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is a ****ing fighting game, what the hell were you guys expecting? It's not mindless grinding, it's playing the damn core gameplay. There's enough variety in Spirit Battles that they're more diverse than your average fighting game session.
And people act as if you have to go through all of WoL and do nothing else when you can just, you know, do anything else inbetween.
It is grinding when it's how you unlock much of the game's content.

It's also not just playing the core gameplay because it's the core gameplay with unfun or intrusive gimmicks. Many matches literally have a character spam one move, like for example, a match where you fight a Giant R.O.B who only spams Neutral B because "LOL IT'S TOTALLY A GUARDIAN FROM BREATH OF THE WILD". If I ran into someone doing that online I'd be super bored, so slapping a PNG on character doesn't suddenly make matches where my opponent does nothing but spam one move a fun time, especially when it's a CPU intentionally programmed to do that.

And even if it was the core gameplay, I would rather just be playing that with friends since that's what it's built for. That's why I believe single-player content in fighting games should have variety. And Smash has been known for actually having a good variety in single-player content so it's not like it's unreasonable to want it or uncharacteristic of the franchise.

Of course I can play other modes in between but that just goes to show how the mode really isn't that good. When I played Subspace, I didn't want to put it down until I finished it, then I proceeded to play through every level as Sonic and Snake since you didn't unlock them until the end, and over time I would revisit the mode to try out the harder (and easier, out of morbid curiosity) difficulties, AND I've done multiple playthroughs in co-op over the years with different people. It's a fun mode with a variety of things to give it some character and can be enjoyed with friends, in a game packed with a wealth of other single-player content.

World of Light doesn't even get the "can be enjoyed with friends" part right, which is indefensible because it didn't even need to make any special mechanics to make it work like Subspace did. And the rest of the single-player content isn't even good either.

Funny thing about expecting too much:

Don't.
If expecting too much is expecting something at all, then I'll keep doing that. I'm not the type to accept mediocrity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I fixed it. Hire me, PETA
Dtn1inwVsAcXYKh.png

It is grinding when it's how you unlock much of the game's content.

It's also not just playing the core gameplay because it's the core gameplay with unfun or intrusive gimmicks. Many matches literally have a character spam one move, like for example, a match where you fight a Giant R.O.B who only spams Neutral B because "LOL IT'S TOTALLY A GUARDIAN FROM BREATH OF THE WILD". If I ran into someone doing that online I'd be super bored, so slapping a PNG on character doesn't suddenly make matches where my opponent does nothing but spam one move a fun time.

And even if it was the core gameplay, I would rather just be playing that with friends since that's what it's built for. That's why I believe single-player content in fighting games should have variety. And Smash has been known for actually having a good variety in single-player content so it's not like it's unreasonable to want it or uncharacteristic of the franchise.

Of course I can play other modes in between but that just goes to show how the mode really isn't that good. When I played Subspace, I didn't want to put it down until I finished it, then I proceeded to play through every level as Sonic and Snake since you didn't unlock them until the end, and over time I would revisit the mode to try out the harder (and easier, out of morbid curiosity) difficulties, AND I've done multiple playthroughs in co-op over the years with different people. It's a fun mode with a variety of things to give it some character and can be enjoyed with friends.

World of Light doesn't even get the "can be enjoyed with friends" part right.

If expecting too much is expecting something at all, then I'll keep doing that. I'm not the type to accept mediocrity.
You realize you're not forced to play WoL to unlock any of the fighters, right? And if you dislike the mode so much, you won't even be using Spirits so there's nothing that's exvlusive to it.
WoL focuses on the core gameplay of Smash: the fights. If you don't like that, I don't know why you're playing Smash. SSE was a complete bore because it tried to do uninspired platforming levels that ended up hurting the overall roster and almost no one wanted a repeat of it.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
View attachment 181836

You realize you're not forced to play WoL to unlock any of the fighters, right? And if you dislike the mode so much, you won't even be using Spirits so there's nothing that's exvlusive to it.
WoL focuses on the core gameplay of Smash: the fights. If you don't like that, I don't know why you're playing Smash. SSE was a complete bore because it tried to do uninspired platforming levels that ended up hurting the overall roster and almost no one wanted a repeat of it.
There’s no point arguing with Chiko. If he hates something there isn’t any way to change his mind.

D

Deleted member

Shut up, you don’t even know what a bab is.

You are right though, it doesn’t seem like it takes that long at all to get all of the characters. Just play through classic mode. That’s what I’m going to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jojalole

Henshin a go go baby!
Switch FC
SW 7943 9867 0675
Hey, I found this pretty sick animation to keep up with the hype of Ultimate. Dragon Ball fans will enjoy it a lot.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If Dragon Ball can't be in Smash then we will take Smash to Dragon Ball

D

Deleted member

View attachment 181836

Of course you’d make that edit. Perv.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
View attachment 181836

Nice of you to ignore the whole part about how WoL doesn't actually focus on the core gameplay.

Also I do like Spirits, they're like custom equipment, which I also liked. But the modes where you unlock them leave much to be desired. See the issue?

Stop giving me strawmans and damage control. If you like it, more power to you, but don't deflect legitimate criticisms with non-arguments.

There’s no point arguing with Chiko. If he hates something there isn’t any way to change his mind.
Hate is a strong word, I don't hate the mode, I already praised what's praiseworthy. It's called "constructive criticism".

Also I love how I posted just last night about forced positivity and how you can only be branded in the "love it or hate it" camp even if you have a moderate opinion on something, and the minute I criticise something in this thread, "lol you hater", you guys never cease to prove my own points.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
They shoulda made Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur as their own slots. They could have all had their own pokemon trainer too

D

Deleted member

Hate is a strong word, I don't hate the mode, I already praised what's praiseworthy. It's called "constructive criticism".

Also I love how I posted just last night about forced positivity and how you can only be branded in the "love it or hate it" camp even if you have a moderate opinion on something, and the minute I criticise something in this thread, "lol you hater", you guys never cease to prove my own points.
Stroking your own ego doesn’t prove any point either other than maybe you’re a bit of a jerk.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just note here that I don't think I won't enjoy WoL, it's just that I think the content in it justify the lenght of it, it won't ruin the mode to everyone, but it's definitly not going to please alot of peoples either.

Tho, I wouldn't call WoL the "worst singeplayer mode ever", simply because I haven't played yet so I can't give a "honest" review of it, and personally as someone who played Melee Adventure Mode with every characters, I think that mode is the worst singleplayer mode out of all of them, but that's just my opinion, not a fact. I love ESS, but that's mainly because of nostalgia and because I haven't replayed the mode in a long time, so it's probably way worse than I remember (in fact, I remember alot of moment I just didn't like at all), so I wouldn't call ESS a good singleplayer mode either.

Also
I know praline said it first, but I don't think you should bother with Chiko, if you don't agree with his points, then he is just going to post wall of text explaining how you are wrong and how he is right. Proof, I tried to debate with him, it didn't end well.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Stroking your own ego doesn’t prove any point either other than maybe you’re a bit of a jerk.
I'm less stroking my own ego, and more highlighting the objective proof of an objective issue that is prevalent around here.

But sure, twist it whatever way you like to brand me as a villain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of course you’d make that edit. Perv.
Jokes on you, I stole that edit from Tumblr.
*Dabs*
Nice of you to ignore the whole part about how WoL doesn't actually focus on the core gameplay.
Because it makes no sense. Just because they add some gimmicks to the fights to add variety(which is exactly what you say it should have) doesn't mean it's not, you know, fighting.
You haven't actually given proper criticism to the mode other than "it's repetitive"(when it's not) and "too long"(and why exactly is that a criticism?)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You haven't actually given proper criticism to the mode other than "it's repetitive"(when it's not) and "too long"(and why exactly is that a criticism?)
lol posting stuff like this and I'm the one being called out for being "stubborn and never listening", whatever you guys say.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Also, can I say how I HATE how I have to wait my work end tomorrow to finally play Ultimate? Because those hours at my work are going to feel like MONTHS.

That and the fact I won't be awake for the game award, so if there is a cool annoucement, I won't be able to watch it live, it just suck. :/

D

Deleted member

I'm less stroking my own ego, and more highlighting the objective proof of an objective issue that is prevalent around here.

But sure, twist it whatever way you like to brand me as a villain.
Because you see your own opinion as objective proof. I don’t agree with Shisho, I think Subspace seems better than WoL. I don’t even know if I’ll touch WoL. But that still doesn’t make your opinion objectively true.

Also doesn’t help to say that someone disagreeing with you is proving yourself “right as usual”.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm not against being critical of the single play content. But Worst in the series? When frickin' Smash Wii U exists? With Smash Tour, it's version of Classic mode and Event Mode? And yet World of Light and Spirits Mode is worst than Smash Tour?

Recency bias at it's finest.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I really wish finals weren’t next week, so that I could abuse the **** out of Smash Ultimate
I'm not against being critical of the single play content. But Worst in the series? When frickin' Smash Wii U exists? With Smash Tour, it's version of Classic mode and Event Mode? And yet World of Light and Spirits Mode is worst than Smash Tour?

Recency bias at it's finest.
they could be mad that there’s no board games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom