• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Playing through Persona 5. I doubt I'll finish it before April, and I'll probably spoiler-tag my impressions going forward (I'm going into this game blind, and I'm assuming that other people would want to as well), but I just wanted to post my thoughts. (plus, Joker hasn't even gotten a Persona yet, so it's still extremely early in the game)

I feel like the characters are blowing Joker's crime way out of proportion. Everyone that I've met so far (Joker's parents (at least from what's been implied), the teachers and principal, Sojiro...) is treating him like a hardened criminal or juvenile delinquent for the heinous crime of... not sitting back and letting a woman get molested. At first, I wasn't sure if it was some kind of cultural difference, but the implication that the person he hit was/is a powerful politician probably has something to do with it.

Also, at this point, I'm assuming that anyone who gets a face next to their dialogue box is going to be important, even if they're referred to with a description like "Jersey-wearing teacher". That's likely a safe assumption to make for most RPGs, I suppose.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Playing through Persona 5. I doubt I'll finish it before April, and I'll probably spoiler-tag my impressions going forward (I'm going into this game blind, and I'm assuming that other people would want to as well), but I just wanted to post my thoughts. (plus, Joker hasn't even gotten a Persona yet, so it's still extremely early in the game)

I feel like the characters are blowing Joker's crime way out of proportion. Everyone that I've met so far (Joker's parents (at least from what's been implied), the teachers and principal, Sojiro...) is treating him like a hardened criminal or juvenile delinquent for the heinous crime of... not sitting back and letting a woman get molested. At first, I wasn't sure if it was some kind of cultural difference, but the implication that the person he hit was/is a powerful politician probably has something to do with it.

Also, at this point, I'm assuming that anyone who gets a face next to their dialogue box is going to be important, even if they're referred to with a description like "Jersey-wearing teacher". That's likely a safe assumption to make for most RPGs, I suppose.
It pretty much is the guy he assaulted overblowing the case because he had the power to. Didn't he even say "I'm gonna ruin your life, kiddo" in a flashback?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Cultural difference. In Japan, not doing what an authority figure says is a big no, even if you are right, that's why the game makes it that much of a deal.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Cultural difference. In Japan, not doing what an authority figure is a big no, even if you are right, that's why the game makes it that much of a deal.
Japanese culture is so ****ed like that. There's so much shady **** that goes on there and people tend to brush it aside.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Japanese culture is so ****ed like that. There's so much shady **** that goes on there and people tend to brush it aside.
Every culture has ****ed parts people turn a blind eye to or just apathetic towards, Japan is no different.

But it also has a lot of good stuff, I wouldn't call it inherently bad. There are a lot worse countries.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
People think Chapter 2 of FE4 is long? You guys ain't seen nothing yet.

Though I do think it's one of the more backtrack-heavy ones, with how Anphony and Agusty castles are on basically opposite ends of the map from each other. Still nothing compared to stuff like Chapter 4 in that aspect, though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Every culture has ****ed parts people turn a blind eye to or just apathetic towards, Japan is no different.

But it also has a lot of good stuff, I wouldn't call it inherently bad. There are a lot worse countries.
I mean there is a lot to love about Japan I think (between video games, anime, etc.). There's a lot of aspects that I think are good but are taken to extremes where it's essentially authoritarian and submissive. i.e. the whole notion of "keeping the peace" and people avoiding speaking out in fear of being ridiculed and cast out from the "group".

I just wish there was some sort of social reform there. Because it sounds like a nightmare to work in Japan.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Starting my day with a car accident...lovely

Chrono.

EVO 2019 lineup will be revealed next week.

My prediction:
- Street Fighter V
- Tekken 7
- Soul Calibur VI
- Melee
- Ultimate
- Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Blazblue Cross Tag Battle
- Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2

This is assuming we're getting 9 games again.

I could see one of the anime games getting the boot though.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord

As mentioned by others, it is indeed a cultural thing, but the whole idea of respecting and obeying authority/elders no matter what is one that pops up repeatedly in game. It's one of the core issues it tackles.

Also yeah, if they get their own dialogue face they've got a bigger role than most other characters.

It pretty much is the guy he assaulted overblowing the case because he had the power to. Didn't he even say "I'm gonna ruin your life, kiddo" in a flashback?
DAMN BRAT, I'LL SUE!

I think he even asks you if you know who he is, but it's been a while so I could be wrong on that. He definitely implies that he's important though.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So I, uh, made it to the point of being able to play the Champion's Ballad in Breath of the Wild and completed the Great Plateau segment last night.

Holy hell this ain't gonna be pretty is it.

I'm extremely lucky I remembered I had Majora's Mask while attempting the second batch of enemies because if I'd had to do all four without any kind of backup plan I probably would have ragequit.

By the time I made it to the Major Test of Strength shrine I went "Wait, this was really easy for what this challenge is putting me thro-" and then my heart drops as I see a button instead of a monk. And my heart dropped again as I looked around confused for a bit upon not being ambushed by anything and then looked down the hole in the floor.

I had to wear my Ancient Armor all through the dark shrine. It didn't protect me from anything. It didn't even shine any useful amount of light. The glow just made me feel better, like a little kid with a nightlight by their bed and clutching a security blanket. At that point I was wary of even going through entirely safe passageways at first, just in case there was a hole in the floor the game wanted me to avoid using the almost nonexistent glow radius of my weapon or something.

The majority of the DLC is still to go and I am officially terrified.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I forgot that Breath of the Wild has dlc. Whenever my bro is done with the game I might hop back into it.

I should let my bro know it has dlc.

D

Deleted member

Oh my god, I just now noticed the birthday tag, that's lovely!
Happy birthday Coricus Coricus
Let's blow up her alert box, shall we?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Happy birthday, Coricus Coricus !

I hope you have lots of celebratory floor ice cream.

D

Deleted member

Sorry all the slots were filled.
Didn't I ask before Hat though? Well either way, I guess I will be missing out on the fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope you do well in your RPG!

Last edited by a moderator:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
We're naming RPG characters after people from here now? Some day I'll do an EO run and base all the characters on people from here.
I'll make them all the people I don't like, so when they inevitably die it won't be so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom