• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

>First encounter of Floccsey Ranch is a Riolu
LADY LUCK IS BACK ON MY SIDE
Yes I know.

I will say that the catch mechanics in Let's Go are fun to me, and clearly also to others who have tried them, and I even think it could be complimentary with wild battles if GF has the stones (getting a ball from the inventory can be the switching point between one and the other).

I will also say that by and large wild pokemon battles bore the living hell out of me, have been in my opinion a necessary evil since 98, and the only reason I ever gave anything vaguely resembling half a damn about them is rare or legendary encounters - something that Pumpkaboo also touched on above, and which Nuzlocke turns all captures into by necessity - so my only real preferred method of dealing with them is fast travel and drowning myself in Repel.

Contrary to providing me any real enjoyment, it largely just incentivizes me to run through routes as quickly as possible and skip all the content between cities and story points.

So when I say compromise, I mean from my standpoint. Because other than very rare encounters they can all go to hell for all I care, but I understand they mean something to other people (and especially to Nuzlockes) and I don't want to see other people's enjoyment yanked away in Gen 8 just for my convenience.
I'll never understand the idea of mot enjoying random encounters. That's the majority of an RPG's gameplay, if you're just gonna run away, why even bother playing? RPGs aren't just about fighting bosses, you need mooks along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

"Tepig is paralyzed! It can't move!"
Repeat 4 times.
I wasted all my luck in that Riolu, didn't I?
EDIT: 6 times now.

Last edited by a moderator:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Someone finally did it:

Obligatory @Black Hunter Z tag
I'm guessing that's a FE character? Still a good fanart though.
Hey Sqaure, how about you make more games like this one?
Yeah, how about Bravely Default 3?
I know it's different developer staff but, looking at Octopath Traveler and FF XV... man it's really a bit funny and ironic lol.
I'll never understand the idea of mot enjoying random encounters. That's the majority of an RPG's gameplay, if you're just gonna run away, why even bother playing? RPGs aren't just about fighting bosses, you need mooks along the way.
In my opinion JRPGs should at least have customized encounter rate or difficulty, which is something that I hope the next main Pokemon game will have.
Fortnite will win all their nominated awards

And damn that Smash/Youtuber mashup art is great (Iceman Etika and Daddy Sakurai as Mario and Link, while Alax and Cat are half of Pit)
Yeah, and yes... I know a majority of these guys lol, Rogersbase on the other hand... he should at least have an Aegis sword (Because he loves XC2)

Oh yeah, and of course, you have pro Smashers in the poster, hope they have Dabuz, Hungrybox, and Mew2King too even though the latter two are Melee prime Smashers. And also I want Omni, CND, and OJ from PlayerEssence (This one... chances are a bit of slim though.)

With Skullgirls coming to Switch next year, glad that oh8 still taking commisions and draw Skullgirls artwork:
Man, Parasoul and Fillia are looking good but... I feel bad for Samson in this pic because I can tell he is not feeling too good lol.

I know this has already been a bit of old news... but seriously if Sony keeps going with this... many anime games will starting to move to PC and Nintendo Switch instead of PS4 or even PS Vita.

While yes Appabend isn't wrong that consoles are dying in Asia, but in general Switch is still kicking in Japan obviously, and did I just heard him say Switch is struggling when it comes to competing with mobile games? Then whey do many media outlets laugh at Huawei when they said their newest phone is better than Switch as a portable gaming device? lol

And yes Appabend, Falcom is probably the weirdest company when they said they want to focus on PS4 and PC a while ago, and just being reluctant when it comes porting and releasing games to Nintendo Switch because of... reasons that I'm curious to know. That being said, Ys VIII is definitely going to be the next JRPG I'm gonna get.

In conclusion, if you already own a PC/Laptop and a Switch, then you're basically set, unless you want to play PS4 and Xbox One exclusives.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I like engaging fights.

Mooks absolutely can be engaging fights, but when they are not, I will **** on them remorselessly. They don't need to make me solve calculus, I just need to rely on more than my knowledge of where the A button is.

The overwhelming majority of wild Pokemon encounters are not engaging to me. Go catch mechanics might be an oversimplification when the combat's good, but when it's not? It's leagues less braindead than mashing A through the three thousandth Zubat.

It's only good when it's not just what you have to sit through to get between point A and point B. Physical points or experience points, either one. The only reasons singular wild encounters have ever not been something to sit through are for rare mons and intentional monstrous nerfs like Nuzlocke that make everything count. More complex wild battles - doubles, horde, SOS - get marginally more interesting all round, but more than anything it just draws a dull experience out.

Trainer fights are only slightly more engaging in Let's Go and deserve their own criticisms, but at least those scratch most of my battle itch without requiring me to dip into a battle screen every time I breathe in a cave. Gym battles even actually push me somewhat, as long as I don't rely on Eevee as a Swiss army pinch hitter (held off teaching him all the secret techs, so Misty's Starmie managed to knock him out; the resulting scramble for underleveled grass and electric types was honestly pretty fun).

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Caught a Bulbasaur in Viridian Forest with nothing but a mittful of Razz Berries and basic ***** Poke Balls.

Never got the ring above orange. Was an hour wandering around the place before I saw it, so even when the second popped up reasonably fast, I knew that opportunity might not present itself again (and it didn't; the only other one I've received is the one you get through gameplay).

I will absolutely put the excitement and satisfaction of that Excellent throw on par with your Stuful catch. Don't knock it till you've tried it.
the problem here is Id get more sastifaction if I actually had to fight to earn the pokemon. If I just had to throw a pokeball, id get pretty bored pretty fast which isbwhy I dropped pokemon go pretty fast

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Trying out the Brawlout fighters and ran across one who can charge her aerials.

Now I want a Smash character with this.
Imagine a chargeable Bayo n-air. I wouldn't want to be the victim of that for sure.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only way chargeable aerials would work if if they're normally weak unless charged (:ultlittlemac:or something)

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
the problem here is Id get more sastifaction if I actually had to fight to earn the pokemon. If I just had to throw a pokeball, id get pretty bored pretty fast which isbwhy I dropped pokemon go pretty fast
If it's an argument of how, specifically, you wish to catch the mon, that's one thing. I can't account for that, hence my concessions to Shoe.

But this makes it sound like an argument of effort. For any mon worth a damn, you'd still be putting it in, says the guy putting it in.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So, since I need a charger that is more portable and charges as fast as Nintendo official Switch charger... and also not bricking my Switch that easily. I recently bought a Xiaomi 45 W USB C Power brick and this thing so far is really good for charging Switch.

And when searching on US Amazon, chances are you might not find it but rather a ZMI Powerplug Turbo.

The truth is... the Xiaomi 45W Type C power brick is literally a ZMI Powerplug Turbo but slap with Xiaomi's logo (With no ZMI logo to be exact). Because the Xiaomi does not produce these power bricks and power banks but ZMI does.

One thing that is good for this brick is it's price, it's only 15$ when I bought it, and it charges as fast as the official one does, so far this thing didn't brick my Switch (obviously) and I doubt it will unless there's an update that makes it so...

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I can't really speak for Pokémon too much since I haven't played them in ages, but in a more general RPG sense, I think it comes down to how engaging the random battles are. Like, in the majority of Final Fantasy games, I don't like random battles because they basically all boil down to "press A 64 times to win". There's no thought involved beyond activating whatever part of your brain is responsible for making your thumb press the A button. With Pokémon, wild battles do have the extra purpose of allowing you to add to your team, and how you go about that can boost engagement, but once you have your team set they lose that value and, at least for me, just become really tedious. With games like this, once I feel like I've gotten strong enough to tackle the current content, I just ditch random battles and head for the boss or next area or whatever, because the random battles just stop being fun.

In something like Etrian Odyssey, on the other hand, random battles are way more fun for me, because each one is actually dangerous, and doesn't stop being dangerous until you're well into the next stratum, and forces you to put actual thought into them to win. Or in Octopath Traveller, the game actively rewards you for finding enemies' weak points in a way that isn't just dealing more damage, so there's more incentive to put thought into how you approach a battle. They don't need to be all super challenging, I just like something that makes me actually think about what I'm doing beyond "how do I press the A button?".

The thing is that how engaging a battle is is pretty subjective. I like a battle to make you actually work for the win, which is why I like games like EO, while other people like being able to grind them out fairly mindlessly. Both views are still equally valid, I think. Things like adaptive difficulty, where enemy strength changes based on the player's skill or play style, or a certain amount of scaling enemy strength based on current progress, would be good ways of balancing the two, I think.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Random encounters and having many enemies being just variants of each other is a hidden subliminal reinforcement of Darwin's theory of Evolution.

:4ness:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I can't really speak for Pokémon too much since I haven't played them in ages, but in a more general RPG sense, I think it comes down to how engaging the random battles are. Like, in the majority of Final Fantasy games, I don't like random battles because they basically all boil down to "press A 64 times to win". There's no thought involved beyond activating whatever part of your brain is responsible for making your thumb press the A button. With Pokémon, wild battles do have the extra purpose of allowing you to add to your team, but once you have your team set they lose that value and, at least for me, just become really tedious. With games like this, once I feel like I've gotten strong enough to tackle the current content, I just ditch random battles and head for the boss or next area or whatever, because the random battles just stop being fun.

In something like Etrian Odyssey, on the other hand, random battles are way more fun for me, because each one is actually dangerous, and doesn't stop being dangerous until you're well into the next stratum, and forces you to put actual thought into them to win. Or in Octopath Traveller, the game actively rewards you for finding enemies' weak points in a way that isn't just dealing more damage, so there's more incentive to put thought into how you approach a battle. They don't need to be all super challenging, I just like something that makes me actually think about what I'm doing beyond "how do I press the A button?".

The thing is that how engaging a battle is is pretty subjective. I like a battle to make you actually work for the win, which is why I like games like EO, while other people like being able to grind them out fairly mindlessly. Both views are still equally valid, I think. Things like adaptive difficulty, where enemy strength changes based on the player's skill or play style, or a certain amount of scaling enemy strength based on current progress, would be good ways of balancing the two, I think.
Look at this completely correct ************.

Lookit 'em.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This week in wrestling:
- Ronda Rousey apparently hates millennials, is a millennial herself
- Nia Jax ****s Becky up, sending the most hyped and built up match on Sunday's PPV card completely off the rails
- Daniel Bryan turns heel and wins the top title from literally out of nowhere
- Enzo kicked off a plane for vaping
- James Ellsworth outed as a pedophile
- David Arquette (yes, that one) wrestles a death match, comes out of it legitimately almost dead with a sliced artery in his neck
And we still have War Games and the Dead Survivor Series to get through
Yeah, and yes... I know a majority of these guys lol, Rogersbase on the other hand... he should at least have an Aegis sword (Because he loves XC2)

Oh yeah, and of course, you have pro Smashers in the poster, hope they have Dabuz, Hungrybox, and Mew2King too even though the latter two are Melee prime Smashers. And also I want Omni, CND, and OJ from PlayerEssence (This one... chances are a bit of slim though.)
They should add Regginator

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The only way chargeable aerials would work if if they're normally weak unless charged (:ultlittlemac:or something)
I feel like Robin scratches that itch, at least in theory. Since Levin Sword can be used in mid-air. Unless you straight up want a delay on the air moves.

Would be cool if Mega Man's Charge Shot worked in mid-air, like the games, but it isn't mapped to a Special button so it likely wouldn't work.

Chrono.

This console Pokémon talk is making me wish for the return of Shadow Pokémon.
Maybe this is a hot take, but man Colosseum was a major slog fest thanks to how they handled progression in that game. I never got the love for it.

Thankfully, Gale of Darkness actually made Shadow Pokemon fun and not overly punishing to use, while also streamlining purifying them. Its wild how much GoD improved on Colo in general.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
If it's an argument of how, specifically, you wish to catch the mon, that's one thing. I can't account for that, hence my concessions to Shoe.

But this makes it sound like an argument of effort. For any mon worth a damn, you'd still be putting it in, says the guy putting it in.
what im saying is what is called a satisfying battle to me is different then you.

I like actaully having to.fight the pokemon. not just chuck a ball and thats it

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
GoD had everything. Awesome Shadow Pokémon, unique moves (at the time) for each Pokémon, the cutie protagonist-- it was a fantastic game, and one of my personal favorite Pokémon spinoffs.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
But bleh, thats one one of the issues I have with the lets go. Im looking forward to pokemon 2019
Maybe this is a hot take, but man Colosseum was a major slog fest thanks to how they handled progression in that game. I never got the love for it.

Thankfully, Gale of Darkness actually made Shadow Pokemon fun and not overly punishing to use, while also streamlining purifying them. Its wild how much GoD improved on Colo in general.
Dear Nintendo, Where is Orre? And can we have more of it? please and thank you

D

Deleted member

Love when my Tepig crits the Elekid I was going to catch.
I think a good example of that is Rivals of Aether's Wrastor who has aerial Smash attacks but has no access to ground Smash attacks.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, SSF2 did a good (not the complete best) job on Lloyd and Isaac, to be honest. I wonder why I couldn't stop playing it a long while ago. It's even where I got my username for here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not gonna lie, SSF2 did a good (not the complete best) job on Lloyd and Isaac, to be honest. I wonder why I couldn't stop playing it a long while ago. It's even where I got my username for here.
For a flash game it's good.

For a Smash game it's outdated to the Brawl era where it began.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I felt that Isaac could have been implemented better but for what it's worth they did okay with the character. Don't know much about Lloyd to make observations.

Chrono.

Lloyd is pretty bad, he just feels like pasted his moves from Symphonia and called it a day, without bothering to test how the moves work and synergize with each other.

Sora is also in the same boat.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Lloyd is pretty bad, he just feels like pasted his moves from Symphonia and called it a day, without bothering to test how the moves work and synergize with each other.

Didn't Sora also get atleast a partial move set update at some point too?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This console Pokémon talk is making me wish for the return of Shadow Pokémon.
Oh, yeah, I definitely want to see Shadow Pokémon return. In fact, I'd like to see Cipher actually create some Pokémon themselves in a bid to improve on XD001, on the logic that a Pokémon that was a Shadow Pokémon from the moment of its life's beginning couldn't be purified (but of course, the player would be able to find a way to purify the Cipher-made Pokémon, so they could be able to leave their home games and be used in other Pokémon games). And, yes, these would be brand-new Pokémon species (much like Poipole, Nagandiel, Blacephalon, Stakataka, Zeraora, Meltan, and Melmeltal became things in the middle of Generation 7 rather than being there from the start of it), custom-made by Cipher to be perfect weapons for terrorism, and it would be up to the player to Snag, purify, and befriend them so they couldn't be used for evil purposes (and then, if desired, use them in friendly battles, because of course that's what’s going to happen :p). I actually have a couple of concepts for this idea — one of them (Voltran) being designed as an assassin/force of raw destruction, and the other (Mistikal) being designed as a saboteur/mind-control device (and both being made of gas so they can go wherever they please, because, again, they're meant to be literal bioweapons). I recommend that you check out the links. :p

Iridium

Smash Hero
I will say SSF2 had an interesting twist on Pichu with its moveset past 150%. For the better or worse, I can't tell.

Didn't Sora also get atleast a partial move set update at some point too?
Yeah. Lloyd sort of got one too, but probably not by as much.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I dunno.

If he did, it wasn't a good one lmao.
The only character I know they made a huge update to was Mega Man being closer to his Smash 4 counterpart than before. Did they make any huge changes to Mario or Sonic?

Oh, and their Simon is Chronicles Simon.

D

Deleted member

This is pretty much how I feel towards the majority of SSF2's newcomers. It's much like how many fan movesets try to cram as many references as possible without actually thinking of what the move's purpose is.
Isaac doesn't really have a theme sticking his jumbled mess of moves together, his tilts are specially bad.
Mega Man has a terrible weapom switching gimmicky and his merging of the Smash Mega Man didn't help him at all.
Black Mage has the same issues as Isaac, all of his specials are useless too.

This applies to pretty much everyone in the roster except Bomberman and, ironically, the anime characters.
Bomberman's moveset is simple yet effective, nothing in it feels out of place.
The anime characters probably work so well because most pf their moves are taken from official games but at least they have themes for their movesets: Naruto has his clones, Luffy is his big time range and Goku has whatever Goku does.
And Ichigo, who is "big sword with flash steps", is easily my favorite character in that entire game despite me never having watched or read Bleach.

Moral of the story? McLeodGaming should just make an anime Smash fangame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom