• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Falco's mobility and recovery are weakening, but those flaws are not glaring enough to be bottom ten.
Recovery is clearly not a good enough argument when Cloud is 2nd best character despite his ****ty recovery.

Decent grab game and good air game compared to even middle tiers. I really do not want to go on depth about this, sorry if you expected an essay.
Yeah, but how good is he at killing, or punishing, or making mixups?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I really wish there was at least one fighting game character with a Dutch nationality out there

There was that one tulip stage in tekken tag 2 though

I need more clogs

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Speaking of Smash 4, it's sad how the meta died. It used to be very vibrant for me, with so many amazing rivalries and power struggles between players and their mains. Even the mid tiers had chances to shine back in the early Smash 4 meta. But now? It's almost all Bayo, with brief bursts of success from Sheik, Cloud, Marth, and Zero Suit. Smash 4's meta had the biggest fall from grace for me out of all the Smash games, because at first I found the game to be well-balanced and it showed in character diversity. But after a while...DLC just kept getting better.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Smash 4, it's sad how the meta died. It used to be very vibrant for me, with so many amazing rivalries and power struggles between players and their mains. Even the mid tiers had chances to shine back in the early Smash 4 meta. But now? It's almost all Bayo, with brief bursts of success from Sheik, Cloud, Marth, and Zero Suit. Smash 4's meta had the biggest fall from grace for me out of all the Smash games, because at first I found the game to be well-balanced and it showed in character diversity. But after a while...DLC just kept getting better.
At least Ultimate will end its suffering.
I am hoping the same thing with the Smash 4 meta does not happen in the Ultimate meta. Frostbite 2018 highlighted the decline of the Smash 4 meta I felt like.

Last edited by a moderator:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Young Link’s final smash should be similar to Bowser’s, where he puts on the giant’s mask and then grows big into the background and attacks with his sword at the chosen spot.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash 4's biggest problem was the players stagnating or outright retiring, the character balancing was a smaller issue by comparison.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
At least Ultimate will end its suffering.
I am hoping the same thing with the Smash 4 meta does not happen in the Ultimate meta. Frostbite 2018 highlighted the decline of the Smash 4 meta I felt like.
There were signs of the Smash 4 meta dying before that, but Frostbite 2018 was the final nail on the coffin. VoiD winning his first ever supermajor with Sheik came close to breathing new life into the game, but with all of the Ultimate talk it doesn't matter in the end. It's tragic. I think back to the days when there were so many characters that got the spotlight. Diddy Kong, Sheik, Mario, Sonic, Fox, Ryu, etc....and even mid tiers like Megaman and Ness got some great moments in the Smash 4 meta.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Isn’t melee just like 5 characters too? I don’t see how a small cast of characters used in the meta would affect much.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Isn’t melee just like 5 characters too? I don’t see how a small cast of characters used in the meta would affect much.
At the very least, players can deal with the small cast that overtakes the meta in Melee.

If you don't know how to SDI in Smash 4, you might as well just quit every time you fight Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member

At the very least, players can deal with the small cast that overtakes the meta in Melee.

If you don't know how to SDI in Smash 4, you might as well just quit every time you fight Bayonetta.
I can SDI, so fighting Bayonetta is not the end of the world.

D

Deleted member

Melee's meta is sk much more broken and stupid than any Bayonetta combos you'll ever see that you can barely call it one but the Smash community will refuse to acknowledge the fact. I mean, ****, not only do you have a completely unbalaced roster but you also got literal abuse of glitches and hardware malfunctions for "advanced techniques".

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
More or less. Even still, the difference I see between the two games is that concerning declines, Melee had flawed competitive balance from the beginning. Smash 4, on the other hand, I believe had decent competitive balance for a while, but rather got worse over time.

ChikoLad ChikoLad Even before ZeRo and other players retired, the meta still showed signs of going downhill.

If someone wants to play a Smash Bros. game that has legit good competitive balance, I always recommend Project M above anything else.

D

Deleted member

What is SDI?
Smash Directional Influcence.
Movement that makes you escape multi-hitting moves easier.
Melee's meta is sk much more broken and stupid than any Bayonetta combos that you can barely call it one but the Smash community will refuse to acknowledge the fact. I mean, ****, not only do you have a completely unbalaced roster but you also got literal abuse of glitches and hardware malfunctions for "advanced techniques".
The thing is, Melee has always been like that. No vibrant stuff in Melee besides top tier play.
Brawl is more broken than the Melee meta.

Smash 4 meta was a hope of diversity unlike Melee and Brawl. The game was well-balanced, but it has evolved to Bayonetta and some other top tier making big waves. There are still mid, low and bottom tier play. It is sadly less than before though.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I never understood the melee fanbase

every other fighting game franchise I know of, people just adapt to the newest installment in the series

I do understand them not wanting anything to do with Brawl's competitive scene but their views on smash 4 and ultimate is just sad

FYI I'm not talking about every single individual in the fanbase obviously

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's DI, except you do it the same way that you play those hand-busting minigames from the first Mario Party game :p
Oh god plz no. I've gotten enough torture with the SDI and DI from that one.

Goddammit Shiny, stop ruining the fun here

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

every other fighting game franchise I know of, people just adapt to the newest installment in the series

I do understand them not wanting anything to do with Brawl's competitive scene but their views on smash 4 and ultimate is just sad

How are they not bored of playing the same game for 15 years?

D

Deleted member

I am not a melee fan ( I have played Melee, but I am not that much into it. ).
But not all Melee fans are like "OOOHHH ULTIMATE AND SMASH 4 ARE TRASH LOL."
There are a lot of Melee fans that like Smash 4 I am sure. Probably more Melee fans that like Smash 4 than dislike Smash 4.
It is just the obnoxious Melee fans are more hype.

Every fanbase has an obnoxious group. Do not judge a game and fanbase just because of an obnoxious group.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

In all fairness, Brawl removed a LOT of the things that made Melee special.

Instead of a fast-paced, combo-heavy game with tons of techniques, it's a slow, floaty mess that's even less balanced than Melee and designed for casual gamers first and foremost.

Smash 4 is on either the 3DS, which in itself has a flaws when it comes to playing Smash (like no second stick unless it's a new 3DS or the tiny screen), or the Wii U, which really didn't sell well and removed even more things, like edgehogging and whatever techniques Brawl had (though the game is faster than Brawl)

It's understandable why Melee players would be turned down because Brawl and 4 lost a lot of what makes Melee the game it is.

And while whether Ultimate is better or not remains to be seen, it at least shows a lot of effort in putting the emphasis on aggression like Melee did. And the mobility is improved so much that some of the techniques, like wavedashing, wouldn't really be as useful in Ultimate as they are in Melee.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s almost like he’s making a joke. :facepalm:
I know he is making a joke, I just wanted to make a fun fact.

Also I am pretty hopeful that Ultimate's meta will be the brightest meta there is. Better than the Smash 4's meta even.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Every fanbase has an obnoxious group. Do not judge a game and fanbase just because of an obnoxious group.
Dude, explain to me how this obnoxious group judge other games like Melee is the best? Melee may be my favorite game of all time, but that doesn't mean **** when I will say that other games are better because of the more positive community and willing to give feedback.

It's like people saying Patriots are the best team ever in the history of NFL when they're not. And don't get me started with Tom Brady being GOAT because while he has a career and quite a number of accomplishments, he's nowhere near GOAT status to me.

D

Deleted member

>cooking burger
>stirs it
>a small piece of hot burger falls out and gets stuck in between my toes

>my life
Well I hope you are all right.

Also I am hopeful the majority of Melee fans will like Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

Melee's competitive scene was built on top of an exclusionist community and continues to be so to this very day. They find whatever pieces of the game they can break to manipulate it in their favor and they do so, creating a gap that prevents "anyone" from joining it, the roster imbalance is accepted and underplayed for the same reason, if you don't play like them, you can't join them. They don't like Brawl or Smash 4 not because those "lack competitive depth", it's simply because they can't manipulate them to their favor so anyone and everyone can play them and they HATE that.
The Melee community is a perfect example of how awful and backwards the Gamer™ stereotype is and they refuse to learn from their mistakes and move on after more than 15 years.
Basically, they're a bunch of manchilds who will only play a game if they can play EXACTLY how they want to without regards to others.
In this essay I will

D

Deleted member

Dude, explain to me how this obnoxious group judge other games like Melee is the best? Melee may be my favorite game of all time, but that doesn't mean **** when I will say that other games are better because of the more positive community and willing to give feedback.

It's like people saying Patriots are the best team ever in the history of NFL when they're not. And don't get me started with Tom Brady being GOAT because while he has a career and quite a number of accomplishments, he's nowhere near GOAT status to me.
You are misreading what I said.
I am not saying that every fanbase is terrible and obnoxious, I am saying that every fandom has that small dark side compared to the quiet / other side.

D

Deleted member

Melee's competitive scene was built on top of an exclusionist community and continues to be so to this very day. They find whatever pieces of the game they can break to manipulate it in their favor and they do so, creating a gap that prevents "anyone" from joining it, the roster imbalance is accepted and underplayed for the same reason, if you don't play like them, you can't join them. They don't like Brawl or Smash 4 not because those "lack competitive depth", it's simply because they can't manipulate them to their favor so anyone and everyone can play them and they HATE that.
The Melee community is a perfect example of how awful and backwards the Gamer™ stereotype is and they refuse to learn from their mistakes and move on after more than 15 years.
Basically, they're a bunch of manchilds who will only play a game if they can play EXACTLY how they want to without regards to others.
In this essay I will
Mmm... I think the reason why they dislike Smash 4 and Brawl is because they can no longer do competitive stuff, not because they want to minuplate the game.

Like there are still players that play anything besides top tiers in Melee. It is just that playing low tiers can be very difficult due to the strengths of the top tiers. Their intentions are not to make low and mid tiers worse, just a way to get better at the game as a whole. There are some annoying Melee fans that try to make you do that stuff, but the rest of the Melee fans are not trying to control you into joining them or forcing you to play top tiers for life. Most competitive Melee fans are not mean and they could care less if you played a low tier for the lols or because you liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom