• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

*enters Vah Rudania*
*Spot for puzzle ball on the wall*
"Geez I wonder what's the gimmick here?"
*Door on wall*
"OH GEEZ I WONDER WHAT"
Halloween is half a month away
I T ' S H A L L O W E E N

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm in Sabin's quest in FF3 and I find it really annoying because I have the knowledge that Shadow can just leave whenever he wants to. Completely at random so I have to make sure to save often or he'll just leave for no reason

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The SNES Classic calls it FF3

I think it knows what games are inside it

D

Deleted member

The SNES Classic calls it FF3

I think it knows what games are inside it
Yeah, do you, like, want me to link every single official info from Square ****ing Enix or are we doing this stupid "I don't care if that's the original name, I'm calling it FFIII because X" routine I see all the time in Youtube comments?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I could have sworn that FF3 had the ability to change your class though. I haven't run into a single crystal yet

Ivander

Smash Legend
I could have sworn that FF3 had the ability to change your class though. I haven't run into a single crystal yet
That was FF5. FF6 or 3 on the SNES had Espers.

Edit: Oh, and the ACTUAL FF3 that was on the NES had Classes/Jobs.

Edit again: Ah, ninja'd.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I tried Lunatic Conquest Chapter 23 again and this about sums up my experience.

IMG_20171014_022241.jpg

It was just Takumi left. But my hit rate was super low on him with most characters because I think that's just the trend in Lunatic Conquest.

Managed to get him to about half HP with Xander, and Takumi proc'd Rend Heaven and put Xander at half HP. So far so good.

Went to hit with Silas, missed and took damage.

Went to hit with Corrin who could have dealt a finishing blow, but again, missed.

My options were Marth or Elise for a finishing blow. Elise had a low hit rate, and while Marth had a high hit rate and good crit rate, he would have to survive Takumi's hit to double him if he doesn't crit, and I was afraid of Takumi proc'ing Vengeance.

Noticed Ike had a pretty good hit rate and could sufficiently weaken him. Wouldn't take much damage either.

But of course, Takumi procs Rend Heaven. Ike is at 19 HP, and could survive another hit...except Takumi procs Vengeance on the second hit and deals 20 damage.

I'm really starting to miss the lower focus on RNG in SoV. Kinda sick of losing a unit purely to crap like that. The Oboro thing last time was my fault, but I've done a few attempts since and RNG just keeps screwing me in some way. This usually happens to me at least once on every major boss too because you just don't have a good hit rate on most units.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I tried Lunatic Conquest Chapter 23 again and this about sums up my experience.

View attachment 133200

It was just Takumi left. But my hit rate was super low on him with most characters because I think that's just the trend in Lunatic Conquest.

Managed to get him to about half HP with Xander, and Takumi proc'd Rend Heaven and put Xander at half HP. So far so good.

Went to hit with Silas, missed and took damage.

Went to hit with Corrin who could have dealt a finishing blow, but again, missed.

My options were Marth or Elise for a finishing blow. Elise had a low hit rate, and while Marth had a high hit rate and good crit rate, he would have to survive Takumi's hit to double him if he doesn't crit, and I was afraid of Takumi proc'ing Vengeance.

Noticed Ike had a pretty good hit rate and could sufficiently weaken him. Wouldn't take much damage either.

But of course, Takumi procs Rend Heaven. Ike is at 19 HP, and could survive another hit...except Takumi procs Vengeance on the second hit and deals 20 damage.

I'm really starting to miss the lower focus on RNG in SoV. Kinda sick of losing a unit purely to crap like that. The Oboro thing last time was my fault, but I've done a few attempts since and RNG just keeps screwing me in some way. This usually happens to me at least once on every major boss too because you just don't have a good hit rate on most units.
Your first problem was playing Conquest.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Your first problem was playing Conquest.
It's a rite of passage.

I have to do it in order to hone my skills as a tactician.

After I beat it I will move onto Revelations which should be much easier by comparison. Some say it's even easier than Birthright. Then I need to do Hidden Truths after that.

Then after that I will move onto either Shadow Dragon, Blazing Sword, or Sacred Stones, since I bought them on my Wii U a while ago. Not sure which I will do first, might go with Shadow Dragon since that's Marth's game though.

D

Deleted member

It's a rite of passage.

I have to do it in order to hone my skills as a tactician.

After I beat it I will move onto Revelations which should be much easier by comparison. Some say it's even easier than Birthright. Then I need to do Hidden Truths after that.

Then after that I will move onto either Shadow Dragon, Blazing Sword, or Sacred Stones, since I bought them on my Wii U a while ago. Not sure which I will do first, might go with Shadow Dragon since that's Marth's game though.
Oh yeah, save up any Rescue Staves for Endgame.
You probably already know why, but just in case you have forgotten.
Do not attempt to play that chapter by its rules.

Replaying Awakening, as i've said before.

"Ah finally, Cordelia has joined. Definitely using her so I can warm up to her for Warriors. Now lets see how sh-"

*immediately crits the first enemy she sees*

". . .alrighty then. This will be fun"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I must have REALLY sucked at RPG's when I was young because I distinctly remember drying to Doom Train once.

I literally have not been grinding this game, because I know you get more stats from leveling up with Espers

But I took at Doom Train with just 2 moves from each character

Dispatch, Shuriken, Suplex

Dispatch, Shuriken, Suplex

Dead Train

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only way to replay Awakening is to play with Auto Battle Commands only on Lunatic

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh yeah, save up any Rescue Staves for Endgame.
You probably already know why, but just in case you have forgotten.
Do not attempt to play that chapter by its rules.

If you mean in the sense that it's a similar battle to Birthright endgame, then I think I know what you're getting at.

Wasn't too bad in Birthright but that's because my Birthright team was all around better than my Conquest team. Also had Ryoma.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I may have beaten Doom Train with no problem

But this friggin' fish.

Edit: Meh, he wasn't that hard.

Just caught me off guard the first time

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I'm calling it FFIII because X
Not gonna lie, at first I thought you were talking about FFX when I first read that.
The fact that I've been playing it for nearly 2 and a half months doesn't help.

"haha, you dare defy Grima?"

*Cordelia Crits with Minitaure lance*
*grima weirdo misses*
*Cordelia crits a second time*

****ing hell girl, you crazy.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If you mean in the sense that it's a similar battle to Birthright endgame, then I think I know what you're getting at.

Wasn't too bad in Birthright but that's because my Birthright team was all around better than my Conquest team. Also had Ryoma.
Adding onto what Shishoe said, since you'll be on Chapter 24 try to capture one or two of the Falcoknights there. They have Pass, access to Rally Speed (which is hard to come by in Conquest), and a high staff rank, which makes them very useful for the later levels.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Finally checked some imageboards to see the new Grape-kun fanart.

It's ****ing raining, man.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
PYRA IS THE BEST BLAD-

Uhh... also this one got revealed more recently.
No

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just found out there are people creeped out about inbreeding pokemon

If Nintendo actually appealed to these people breeding would be so annoying

They aren't real animals and inbreeding is the easiest way to get max IV's

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
PYRA IS THE BEST BLAD-

Uhh... also this one got revealed more recently.
No
All of that just seems like Japan being itself.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ok, listen here you little ****e--

Glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by people still calling it FFIII. At least the Wii VC had a note about the correct numbers for IV and VI.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was just listening to some creepypasta where this guy was fighting N and trying to take out a Pikachu he had but it was faster and stronger than his pokemon. And when he finally got a hit in, it was immune to psychic type.

Oooh spooky

Turns out it was a Zoroark the whole time

D

Deleted member

No... It's nothing like Birthright.
Conquest's Endgane on Lunaric is the single most stupid BS in all of FE and you're gonna lose your sanity if you try doing it without cheesing

D

Deleted member

I keep on hearing it's the best Fates Fire Emblem... Also another reason I won't buy Fates. People can't even make up their mind about what game is the best of the 3...
Conquest is the best though, it only really gets bull**** on Lunatic with the very later chapters. On Hard and lower, it's one of the most fun FE games I ever played simply due to the fact its difficulty is mostly fair(omly being setback by the fact RNG is highly prominent).
Birthright fluctuates between either "stupidly easy" or "annoyingly fake difficulty bull****" such as the caltrops in Chapter 10, Camilla's ****ing chapter and the never-ending reinforcements(Chapter 25 takes the cake because I don't think I'll ever again go through something more stressful than that in a videogame).
Didn't play Revelation but the gameplay I watched of it didn't leave a good impression. You either have "waiting for stuff to happen", "I heard you liked Fog of War" or "SNOW SHOVELLING"

The only people who dislike Conquest are the ones who need to git gud

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I keep on hearing it's the best Fates Fire Emblem... Also another reason I won't buy Fates. People can't even make up their mind about what game is the best of the 3...
It is in a sense for gameplay. I haven't played Conquest, but many from what I heard enjoyed the map design and difficulty being one of the top 4 hardest FE games (although there is no way in hell Lunatic Conquest is harder than Hard Mode Binding Blade as some may claim. Can't say for Tharcia or RD).

Currently out of all three, neither are all that impressive. Birthright was just okay and Revelation (this route seriously pissed me off) was stupid and weakly written.

If not ruined for abysmal story execution and writing, Fates would've been a great FE imo. The fact that it had three different routes, stories and endings behind each stood out as a new idea.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It depends on what you value more.

Birthright has the best story. Which isn't saying much because it's still nothing to write home about, but for the most part, it's a fairly standard JRPG story that just fundamentally works with less big plotholes and bad writing weirdness compared to the other two. It's also the easiest game of the three (though some argue Revelations is easier), so it's the most accessible of the three (it was my first FE game and I went in on Lunatic Classic so it was still a challenge for me, but it was easy to understand mechanically).

Conquest is better from a gameplay standpoint because the map design is better and you don't have characters like Ryoma and Takumi who are just completely OP without even thinking about how you invest into them or class them. There's a much wider variety of objectives and almost every map has some kind of gimmick to freshen up the gameplay. It does have a few bad maps in Lunatic (Chapter 17 and 19 being the main culprits, the latter of which can kill your run if you don't have the grinding DLC and didn't build your units a certain way), but for the most part I've found it to be a rewarding challenge. The story is complete garbage though and I often forget the game even has a story with how challenging the maps are and how focused I am on beating them. Conceptually it's just really stupid but I can't explain why without spoiling things.

I haven't played Revelations yet but from what I hear, it's basically a unit playground since you get units from both Birthright and Conquest. If you like customising and building characters, Revelations gives you the most freedom there. The map design is more varied than Birthright and tries to do unique things, but I've heard that unlike Conquest, the map gimmicks are not that good and feel intrusive in some ways. As for the story, I've heard that it isn't as bad as Conquest's but it basically defeats the purpose of the Birthright and Conquest stories since it's quite clearly the "canon" story (the title pretty much implies why) and makes the whole aspect of choosing a family to side with moot, which was supposed to be the big marketing hook of Fates until they announced Revelations.

As for characters and how they're portrayed, whether you prefer the Birthright cast or Conquest cast is subject to taste. Personally, I prefer the Birthright cast. The common trend among the Conquest cast is that most of them have some really shady or tragic backstory that's supposed to fit in with the whole "moral ambiguity" theme of Conquest. This works really well in the case of some characters (Nyx being a really stand-out example) but with most characters, it feels like a shallow and shameless justification to have these characters here when it's clear they're only there to fill an otaku fan-service fetish (Camilla the big-boobed MILF archetype, Peri the psycho, etc), and a lot of them just end up unlikable as a result.

The common trend among Birthright characters is how their supports tend to focus on their CULTURAL background as opposed to some dark and twisted personal background. As a result, Hoshido's culture is actually really strongly defined and it feels like a vast, fantastical kingdom that I'd love to explore. On top of that, a lot of the characters are just fun and likable, and their supports portray them as more multi-faceted than most of the Conquest cast, without having to rely on a sob story to make them interesting. This also tends to make them stand out when they DO have some inner turmoil that they deal with. Their designs also tend to be more varied and for the most part, don't rely on a fan-service trope to be interesting (except Kagero, who is still an OK character otherwise). I also feel the Birthright cast have better chemistry with Corrin because of Corrin having been isolated his whole life - since the big theme of a lot of Birthright character supports is their cultural background, this gives Corrin a realistic and believable reason to be so intrigued with getting to know them, because he wants to know more about the world.

Your mileage may vary on some of these points though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But how about the story? I heard it was full of plotholes, mainly cause Conquest allows Corrin to basically be a heartless *******?

Also Minun is the best Pokemon ever

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3randombattle-645172088
Corrin ends up being a heartless asshole more in Birthrout than Cornquest
It depends on what you value more.

Birthright has the best story. Which isn't saying much because it's still nothing to write home about, but for the most part, it's a fairly standard JRPG story that just fundamentally works with less big plotholes and bad writing weirdness compared to the other two. It's also the easiest game of the three (though some argue Revelations is easier), so it's the most accessible of the three (it was my first FE game and I went in on Lunatic Classic so it was still a challenge for me, but it was easy to understand mechanically).

Conquest is better from a gameplay standpoint because the map design is better and you don't have characters like Ryoma and Takumi who are just completely OP without even thinking about how you invest into them or class them. There's a much wider variety of objectives and almost every map has some kind of gimmick to freshen up the gameplay. It does have a few bad maps in Lunatic (Chapter 17 and 19 being the main culprits, the latter of which can kill your run if you don't have the grinding DLC and didn't build your units a certain way), but for the most part I've found it to be a rewarding challenge. The story is complete garbage though and I often forget the game even has a story with how challenging the maps are and how focused I am on beating them. Conceptually it's just really stupid but I can't explain why without spoiling things.

I haven't played Revelations yet but from what I hear, it's basically a unit playground since you get units from both Birthright and Conquest. If you like customising and building characters, Revelations gives you the most freedom there. The map design is more varied than Birthright and tries to do unique things, but I've heard that unlike Conquest, the map gimmicks are not that good and feel intrusive in some ways. As for the story, I've heard that it isn't as bad as Conquest's but it basically defeats the purpose of the Birthright and Conquest stories since it's quite clearly the "canon" story (the title pretty much implies why) and makes the whole aspect of choosing a family to side with moot, which was supposed to be the big marketing hook of Fates until they announced Revelations.

As for characters and how they're portrayed, whether you prefer the Birthright cast or Conquest cast is subject to taste. Personally, I prefer the Birthright cast. The common trend among the Conquest cast is that most of them have some really shady or tragic backstory that's supposed to fit in with the whole "moral ambiguity" theme of Conquest. This works really well in the case of some characters (Nyx being a really stand-out example) but with most characters, it feels like a shallow and shameless justification to have these characters here when it's clear they're only there to fill an otaku fan-service fetish (Camilla the big-boobed MILF archetype, Peri the psycho, etc), and a lot of them just end up unlikable as a result.

The common trend among Birthright characters is how their supports tend to focus on their CULTURAL background as opposed to some dark and twisted personal background. As a result, Hoshido's culture is actually really strongly defined and it feels like a vast, fantastical kingdom that I'd love to explore. On top of that, a lot of the characters are just fun and likable, and their supports portray them as more multi-faceted than most of the Conquest cast, without having to rely on a sob story to make them interesting. This also tends to make them stand out when they DO have some inner turmoil that they deal with. Their designs also tend to be more varied and for the most part, don't rely on a fan-service trope to be interesting (except Kagero, who is still an OK character otherwise). I also feel the Birthright cast have better chemistry with Corrin because of Corrin having been isolated his whole life - since the big theme of a lot of Birthright character supports is their cultural background, this gives Corrin a realistic and believable reason to be so intrigued with getting to know them, because he wants to know more about the world.

Your mileage may vary on some of these points though.
I agree with the Route comparison points but I disagree with the characters.
I feel like the approach on Conquest's cast is more interesting than Birthright's due to the fact it's more character focused. I love me some worldbuilding but I'd prefer to have some interesting characters. Most of them also lack that first impression, which is important because if I'm not interested on the character's surface, no way in hell I'm digging deeper to know them better, even if there is something interesting, most of the time there's not. Characters like Hana, Subaki, Hinata, Hinoka and Setsuna being the worst offenders imo due to them having one character trait afaik.
The exceptions to the BR cast being Takumi, Azama, Saizo and Oboro to me, who are some of my favorite characters actually.

Conquest has a more diverse and interesting cast, one thing that it differs from Birthright is the fact all characters(ignoring the Awakening trio because I'm not even gonna bother with them) have differemt backgrounds, while every single retainer in Hoshido comes from "a family that has protected the royal family for generations".
Characters like Arthur or Beruka also make a better first impression and digging into their supports shkw they have more to them.
Even the siblings do far better, at least in supports(*cough*Xander*cough*), with Camilla getting saved from her apparent blandness with her Niles and Xander supports.
The exception being, of course, the Awakening trio and Peri. I don't think I need to go in detail as to why, hopefully.

Also, Conquest has the only worthwhile second gen

Still, we all know Neutral units Shura and Jakob are the best so it's not like it even matters

EDIT: just in case this isn't clear, this is all opinion based

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nice indept analysises guys, I like that.

Honestly, if Revelations is the 'canon' version, how much of the story would I miss if I'd just go for that game? It's reasonably rised, a good 10 Euro less than I bought my copy of Echoes for, which I felt was worth it. I just like the lore of Fire Emblem, and Fates seems to have that going on.. Yet, I doubt this Revelation of Fates will be as grand as it's meant to be without having played the other two games.

Could still give it a shot though. I'll get my money soon and plan on getting Samus Returns anyway. So Revelations might just be bought alongside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom