• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

you could get pretty much every launch PS4 and XBone launch games on previous gens or PC and the exclusives for the PS4 especially were baaad.
Was about to say Infamous Second Son was really solid but turns out that wasn't a launch title.

The more you know.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The US has officially withdrawn from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

lul Trump actually did something right.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, reviews for RE7 so far seem to be really positive.
I just hope the game sells well enough. I can't say I'm interested in that particular entry myself though. But I'll take anything to help Capcom make the games I DO want them to make.

Namely MM/MMX and DMC. We already got Marvel on the way, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
you could get pretty much every launch PS4 and XBone launch games on previous gens or PC and the exclusives for the PS4 especially were baaad.
Except they were enhanced versions (some heavily enhanced) of those last gen games.

Battlefield 4? Larger maps, 64 player, much better visuals, 60fps
NBA 2K14? Much better visuals, a full-fledged storymode with cutscenes, improved AI
Cod Ghosts? Better visuals
Assassin's Creed IV? Better visuals

This isn't about whether or not these games were good, but that they still offered something you couldn't get on the previous gen. Some are as simple as better visuals/performance, others are a lot more substantial. So far a lot of Switch ports aren't really offering much else aside from all of the DLC packed in.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Most console are literally twice as much, if not more at launch date
The only console I can think of that was double that at launch was the PS3. Xbox One was close at $500

But that doesn't matter because that's not what the Switch is competing with. It's competing with a similarly priced PS4/Xbox One that both comes with a game bundled along with much larger libraries.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Most console are literally twice as much, if not more at launch date
The only console in recent memory that was 600 bucks was PS3, and everybody hated that. Most other consoles are a bit more expensive, but they are also more powerful. Personally, I don't think 300 is terrible, because I was expecting it to be like 350 in USD.

That said, every console this gen was not worth getting at launch. Not just because of price, but also the lack of games. I remember thinking the PS4 and X-Box One only had like 2 games each worth talking about at the time because of that. Same thing seems to be happening with the Switch's launch month. It'll be more of a worthwhile investment by the Holiday season.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Except they were enhanced versions (some heavily enhanced) of those last gen games.

NBA 2K14? Much better visuals, a full-fledged storymode with cutscenes, improved AI

This isn't about whether or not these games were good, but that they still offered something you couldn't get on the previous gen. Some are as simple as better visuals/performance, others are a lot more substantial. So far a lot of Switch ports aren't really offering much else aside from all of the DLC packed in.
The thing with the Switch is that it trades off visuals for portability. It's not physically capable of offering that kind of upgrade, but at the same time you could tag every single port with "portable version" and have it be about as relevant. Neither graphics nor transport are actually gameplay related, but both offer their own pros.

To those who mostly play on consoles being able to play for an hour or two on the go isn't much of a proposition, but it's clear what extra feature the Switch is bringing to the table instead of visuals, and for some that will be enough for a purchase.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Reminder that the Switch offers portability...that's literally the main point of the console...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Sorry Sega, if you want me to *Switch* from digital to physical for Puyo Puyo Tetris, you're going to have to do better than two keychains.

Still want your game greatly, though.

Chrono.

The only console in recent memory that was 600 bucks was PS3, and everybody hated that. Most other consoles are a bit more expensive, but they are also more powerful. Personally, I don't think 300 is terrible, because I was expecting it to be like 350 in USD.

That said, every console this gen was not worth getting at launch. Not just because of price, but also the lack of games. I remember thinking the PS4 and X-Box One only had like 2 games each worth talking about at the time because of that. Same thing seems to be happening with the Switch's launch month. It'll be more of a worthwhile investment by the Holiday season.
Honestly since maybe the Gamecube and PS2 there hasn't been a console with a good launch line up in ages.

Nintendo is usually one of the worse ones about it. DS and 3DS in particular were horrid.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The thing with the Switch is that it trades off visuals for portability. It's not physically capable of offering that kind of upgrade, but at the same time you could tag every single port with "portable version" and have it be about as relevant. Neither graphics nor transport are actually gameplay related, but both offer their own pros.

To those who mostly play on consoles being able to play for an hour or two on the go isn't much of a proposition, but it's clear what extra feature the Switch is bringing to the table instead of visuals, and for some that will be enough for a purchase.
I get that, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't offering anything new aside from portability. I'm not playing Skyrim with improved visuals and higher framerate, I'm playing the same Skyrim from six years ago. Maybe there'll be mod support, they haven't mentioned anything about it. I'm still playing the same Disgaea 5 from two years ago, but now I get all the DLC packed. I'm still being offered the same Rayman Legends.

As a mobile console, it's impressive stuff, but that's not how it's being marketed. It's being marketed as a home console you can play on the go, and as a home console, it's pretty lackluster.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Honestly since maybe the Gamecube and PS2 there hasn't been a console with a good launch line up in ages.

Nintendo is usually one of the worse ones about it. DS and 3DS in particular were horrid.
There's still some DS and GBA games that I want to get my hands on. Namely Mega Man Battle Network. Which REALLY needs a collection like the Classic, MMX and Zero games were able to get. Never got the second DBZ Supersonic Warriors game either, and I spent way too much time playing the first as a kid.

I know my siblings got DS's at launch. Both of them got Nintendogs.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hard to believe it's been over A YEAR since the Smash direct said "Development Confirmed!" for the status of the :4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta: amiibo.

Doesn't help we're not sure if a Smash Switch is 100% happening.

Chrono.

There's still some DS and GBA games that I want to get my hands on. Namely Mega Man Battle Network. Which REALLY needs a collection like the Classic, MMX and Zero games were able to get. Never got the second DBZ Supersonic Warriors game either, and I spent way too much time playing the first as a kid.

I know my siblings got DS's at launch. Both of them got Nintendogs.
Ah definitely agree there, the BN games need a collection badly (at least of the first 3 games).

Supersonic Warriors is an old favorite of mine, which reminds me that I should get Extreme Butouden one of these days.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I get that, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't offering anything new aside from portability. I'm not playing Skyrim with improved visuals and higher framerate, I'm playing the same Skyrim from six years ago. Maybe there'll be mod support, they haven't mentioned anything about it. I'm still playing the same Disgaea 5 from two years ago, but now I get all the DLC packed. I'm still being offered the same Rayman Legends.

As a mobile console, it's impressive stuff, but that's not how it's being marketed. It's being marketed as a home console you can play on the go, and as a home console, it's pretty lackluster.
Then clearly this console isn't for you. The portability is the huge gimmick for being a home console. If you would rather have the power of the Xbox One/PlayStation 4 over the portability of the Switch with $300 being too expensive for you, don't buy it. No one is forcing you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You got a great point there, take the 360's launch titles for instance.
Amped 3
COD 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Every Party
FIFA 06
Gun
Kameo: Elements of Power
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2k6
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed: Most wanted
NHL 2k6
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Project Gotham Racing 3
Quake 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tetris: The Grandmaster Ace
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Unless you're a huge fan of sportsgames, this is a pretty lackluster launch. Most of the HUGE games for it came out the following year.

Though to be fair at least the 360 was the first of it's generation. Again, I think the problem is that the switch is too late for its gen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Well they can't really market it as a handheld, people will say they've backed out of the console industry. That and phone comparisons.

Nintendo's trying to dodge being stuck competing with either phones or higher power consoles by essentially trying to make having your cake and eating it too a valid option. It's like being confronted with Scylla and Charbydis and deciding to try to sail directly between them and hoping they both don't go after you at once. It's risky and incredibly difficult to message, but in the current environment their other choices probably didn't look so hot.

I thought Rayman Legends was actually one of the ones that added something? Not MUCH, but I thought it added something.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Then clearly this console isn't for you. The portability is the huge gimmick for being a home console. If you would rather have the power of the Xbox One/PlayStation 4 over the portability of the Switch with $300 being too expensive for you, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you.
Except I never said I don't want it. I'm still going to buy a Switch, I'm still going to use it's portability and play it's games. I still think that gimmick is super cool.

In my opinion, the Switch's biggest issue is that it came out too late. It feels like the console the Wii U should have been and had it came out instead, these issues wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Hard to believe it's been over A YEAR since the Smash direct said "Development Confirmed!" for the status of the :4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta: amiibo.

Doesn't help we're not sure if a Smash Switch is 100% happening.
Well, there's the Ballot being kept as a reference, what Reggie said, the Smash Facebook liking the Switch Facebook, and the fact that we've actually been shown a partial picture of the Bayo Amiibo long after people were starting to give up on it.

There's no fire yet, but I think I can smell smoke. Smells like one heck of a barbecue. Hopefully I'm not smelling things that aren't there.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be fair to the Switch, in terms of brand new consoles it's competing with upgraded PS4 and XBONES designed for 4K and VR so it's got more in the excitement and affordability departments compared to them rather than the base models. (I'm assuming in the case of the Xbone one.)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
To be fair to the Switch, in terms of brand new consoles it's competing with upgraded PS4 and XBONES designed for 4K and VR so it's got more in the excitement and affordability departments compared to them rather than the base models. (I'm assuming in the case of the Xbone one.)
But it's not competing with the upgraded models, it's competing with the base models. Sony and Microsoft aren't going to stop manufacturing the base models just because they have upgraded models released. The upgraded models are just another option for consumers to pick and choose from.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Wild prediction: The :4corrin::4cloud::4bayonetta:amiibos will be bundled with Smash Switch.

Release date: Q2 2018

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Except I never said I don't want it. I'm still going to buy a Switch, I'm still going to use it's portability and play it's games. I still think that gimmick is super cool.

In my opinion, the Switch's biggest issue is that it came out too late. It feels like the console the Wii U should have been and had it came out instead, these issues wouldn't be as big of a deal.
Its not like Nintendo had a choice. The Wii-U wasn't doing well and I believe they were losing money for evey unit sold. Of course they had to Switch over to a new system and fast. That being said, they had to create a new system and make it pleasing for 3rd party companies to jump on board. The launch isn't looking too good but by the looks of it, the Switch should be in great shape by next year. I expect E3 to throw us some great games as well.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm at the part of Dragon Quest 8... the one part I don't like.

Dealing with the Horse Princess Medea's betroved. That kid is a little ****,

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've got to say, I instantly fell in love with Mirage Saloon. Easily one of my favorite Sonic Mania tracks so far.

I just want to play as Knuckles the Knuckles so badly.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ah definitely agree there, the BN games need a collection badly (at least of the first 3 games).
One issue I see on why Capcom is hesitating with releasing a Battle Network Collection is the fact that ever since BN3, all main games have had 2 versions(BN5 has 3 versions if you count Double Team DS). With BN and BN2, those games didn't have 2 versions. Meanwhile with the later games(that isn't BN4.5), you have:
-BN3 White & Blue/Black
-BN4 Red Sun & Blue Moon
-BN5 Team Protoman & Team Colonel
-BN6 Gregor & Falzar.
So if you count all versions, a Battle Network Collection would have 10 games, 13 if BN4.5, Battle Chip Challenge and Network Transmission are included and 14 if Operation Shooting Star is included. I mean, already that is way more compared to past collections, with Megaman Anniversary Collection having the main 8 games and the Power Fighter games.

The other issue I see with them hesitating on releasing a Battle Network Collection is the fact that in Battle Network 4 through 6, you have Django, Otenko and the Gun del Sol from Boktai appear in those games. And the Boktai franchise is owned by none other than our favorite company Konami.

Either way, I would still pay for a Battle Network Collection if it ever happens. But do you know what I think they should do? Remake Battle Network 4.5 as it's own full-fledged game. 4.5 is unique in the fact that it was the first game before 5 & 6 that it introduced multiple playable Navis, including Bass.exe. And look at how many Navis were introduced in later games. The only thing about 4.5 that wasn't exactly the brightest was not being to control the Navis and only being able to handle the Chips.

Seriously, there's so much they could do with remaking Battle Network 4.5. Not just by allowing the player full control of their Navi, but also by adding many more Navis for the players, adding newer mechanics into the game, like the changes to the Navi Customizer, the new Element Strengths and Weakness to Sword->Wind->Cursor->Break->Sword and make Megaman.exe's Soul forms into choosable forms, like how you can turn Bass Soul on and off in Battle Network 5, etc. I feel like there would be a whole lot of potential for remaking Battle Network 4.5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom