• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A portable device with specs similar to the Wii U is still impressive IMO.
I agree and if they had marketed it as a handheld we'd be golden, but they marketed it as a console.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Massive meltdown across the internet over the specs being basically identical to the Wii U when undocked. Just came back from NeoGAF going through a mental breakdown.

As a handheld player i feel like I'm in a robe and slippers peeking out my front door with a baffled look on my face as fire rains from the sky and people run in the streets.

"Doomed! Dooooooomed! We're all doooomed!"

*sips hot chocolate* . . .Wow, this is unpleasant.

*closes door*
Long story short, the specs aren't good and the hardware is, from what I heard, one third as powerful as a vanilla PS4.
Hmm, I don't understand spec speak, so I'll take their word for it if it's not that powerful.

While I didn't care if it was a powerhouse, I at least wanted Nintendo to get those third parties PS4 and Xbone get.

It's rather concerning, but it'll all come down to the games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's odd. Supposedly Dark Souls 3 was running on it, but with those specs it shouldn't be possible.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I agree and if they had marketed it as a handheld we'd be golden, but they marketed it as a console.
because they didnt want the money maker, the 3DS, to be snuffed out by the Switch
I'll just wait before I conclude anything.
The Switch is doomed because someone said something about it and it's best to believe absolutely everything until that presentation in a month
Isnt it better to wait and actually see if its actually that bad before melting down

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You people know Eurogamer has been 100% right on their reports so far, right?

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Is not that bad, even with that clock speed cripple while undocked still outperforms the Wii U, and more importantly: It gives better battery life.

Ivander

Smash Legend
*Low specs, yet FromSoft still runs Dark Souls 3 on Switch and is interested in a trilogy for Switch*

Good lord, it's no wonder I have such bitterness towards specs. :facepalm: It always has to have the best graphics over gameplay. :skull:

And yes, I know having good specs helps appeal to the 3rd parties and whatnot, but it always grinds me whenever people lose their cool over low quality graphics.

I just hope the specs dont drastically hurt 3rd party attention.

If we still get the games it could be a toaster for all i care i love myself a nintendo handheld.

But if we have wii u level 3rd party support. . .yikes.
:061:

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Oh hey I'm Pranked! Thanks to whoever did this :3

Rough Top 10
  1. Bayonetta 1/2
  2. Life is Strange
  3. Dragon Quest 9
  4. Kid Icarus Uprising
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  6. Child of Light
  7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  8. The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 : Rise of The Witch-King (lol so long)
  9. Age of Empires 2
  10. Rayman 2
  • Fire Emblem - Path of Radiance
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (w/ mods)
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • HyperDimension Neptunia
  • Tropico 3
  • Rise of Nations
  • Pokémon Black and White
  • Touhou (the series as a whole, as the games are largely similar.)
Yeah, I play a lot of comparatively unconventional games.
Big Kudo's for including Rise of Nations. Great game!! One of my fav RTS'

You people know Erogsmer has been 100% right on their reports so far, right?
I do. And yeh, just when I thought Nintendo does something right....

....they don't.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't care about specific details in specs and what not. I care about what the system can do with said specs. The actual games are more important than STRRRONK SPEK
*Low specs, yet FromSoft still runs Dark Souls 3 on Switch and is interested in a trilogy for Switch*

Good lord, it's no wonder I have such bitterness towards specs. :facepalm: It always has to have the best graphics over gameplay. :skull:

And yes, I know having good specs helps appeal to the 3rd parties and whatnot, but it always grinds me whenever people lose their cool over low quality graphics.
God damn it, I love you guys.
When peoples will stop talking about graphic and power? Yeah, it can help to make games, but MGS2 didn't to wait the PS3 era to give the wonderful game that we know today.
The console will be fine as long as there is good games, the Wii U failed because the games weren't there when it needed or were just not great.
If Nintendo really doesn't want their new console to be a flop, they have to bring their A games if you know what I mean.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I guess it's time to bring up my old point from before the Switch was even revealed. It's always been Nintendo's job to hold up their own hardware. Heck, even in the ancient vitriol nostalgia era where third party support actually was present, it was always Nintendo's own games that sold the system and the only reason they were there was because they had nowhere else to turn to. They started jumping ship the instant SEGA actually gave them an alternative and started pumping out buzzwords about power, it just accelerated when other companies started doing the same thing without even trying to compete with third parties.

The main things the Switch needs to survive are viral marketing and first party software support. It may have a lot to do with the appeal for some people whether or not third party games show up, but the majority of people who want those games will have already bought another system to play with their friends and wouldn't be moving anyway.

Honestly, the gaming community has just clicked back into the same attitude they had before the Switch was revealed in the first place, and they've been slipping into it for weeks. People couldn't stay hyped for more than a week or two before cynicism took over.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who actually had a realistic grasp on what the Switch would be and still felt OK with it. This is a bit lower than people were ballparking even with that, but aside from some concerns about version disparity the only things this changes for me is that I have to listen to everyone else feel disappointed and I just want to be able to ride a hype train I feel like people are trying to forcibly shove me off of due to their own disappointment.

All the angst and schadenfreude surrounding something I want to be able to enjoy is exhausting. It's why I stopped following the Sonic fandom.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Watch the Switch not be powerful enough to handle the Ice Climbers in 8 Player Smash.
Honestly this was the first thing I thought of.

Damn...they might not be in the port after all.
I'm still predicting Inkling + Decidueye though.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
This is certainly annoying news, but it's not the only factor that is required to result in doom and gloom. As long as Nintendo has a stronger early first party lineup and messaging than with the Wii U (which all signs point to), this can still be a very successful console - and a wonderful console as long as you have another console like the PS4 to fulfill your AAA multiplat needs that will inevitably skip the Switch.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I guess it's time to bring up my old point from before the Switch was even revealed. It's always been Nintendo's job to hold up their own hardware. Heck, even in the ancient vitriol nostalgia era where third party support actually was present, it was always Nintendo's own games that sold the system and the only reason they were there was because they had nowhere else to turn to. They started jumping ship the instant SEGA actually gave them an alternative and started pumping out buzzwords about power, it just accelerated when other companies started doing the same thing without even trying to compete with third parties.

The main things the Switch needs to survive are viral marketing and first party software support. It may have a lot to do with the appeal for some people whether or not third party games show up, but the majority of people who want those games will have already bought another system to play with their friends and wouldn't be moving anyway.

Honestly, the gaming community has just clicked back into the same attitude they had before the Switch was revealed in the first place, and they've been slipping into it for weeks. People couldn't stay hyped for more than a week or two before cynicism took over.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who actually had a realistic grasp on what the Switch would be and still felt OK with it. This is a bit lower than people were ballparking even with that, but aside from some concerns about version disparity the only things this changes for me is that I have to listen to everyone else feel disappointed and I just want to be able to ride a hype train I feel like people are trying to forcibly shove me off of due to their own disappointment.

All the angst and schadenfreude surrounding something I want to be able to enjoy is exhausting. It's why I stopped following the Sonic fandom.
The Sonic fandom seem to be your bane, isn't it?
But yeah, **** the hype. Hyping games or console now are filled with peopels who put their entire life to hype games only to be dissapointed and created stupid drama along the way. (Looking at you, Watch Dog, No Man Sky, Mighty No.9, MGS V...)
Peoples just need to stop being hyped for any games/consoles that are apparantly, "the best game of the century" or "the best console that will make Sony cry like a anime fan on prom night", just, **** the hype man.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
But yeah, **** the hype. Hyping games or console now are filled with peopels who put their entire life to hype games only to be dissapointed and created stupid drama along the way. (Looking at you, Watch Dog, No Man Sky, Mighty No.9, MGS V...)
Peoples just need to stop being hyped for any games/consoles that are apparantly, "the best game of the century" or "the best console that will make Sony cry like a anime fan on prom night", just, **** the hype man.
Praise, my brother, hallelujah

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Normally, this would be a day for me to celebrate. I just wish it was under less stressful circumstances...
Well, I hate to hear that. You don't deserve the stress that you have in you. No one deserves stress bad enough to not celebrate their Birthday. So do me a favor have a very Happy Birthday. Just for the sake.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Since people were discussing overrated games earlier, Metal Shop X Metal Shop X just brought up a game I've always found overhated that I will briefly stand in defense of.

Watch_Dogs.

The first game was certainly was not a GTA killer or even really a rival. It certainly had its flaws. But a super hyped game not being a 9/10 or 10/10 doesn't make it a 3 or a 4 either, like a lot of people, especially Metacritic raters, would have you believe the game is.

The second game is certainly better in every way, but the first game introduced some great ideas, especially with the sandbox combat (even if the world of its Chicago wasn't quite as open and sandbox-y as say Los Santos). It had a serviceable story (though a protagonist who is most memorable for being unmemorable), and some really appealing themes and tones to anti-authoritarian players, along with overall above average and unique gameplay.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You people know Erogsmer has been 100% right on their reports so far, right?
Right, but they are in no way saying that the specs are bad, not lackluster. They're just saying it won't be Xbox One and PS4 quality. Which was to be expected, honestly. We'll see how it appeals to third parties and I'll get worried if they aren't interested. Otherwise, this isn't a huge deal to me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Since people were discussing overrated games earlier, Metal Shop X Metal Shop X just brought up a game I've always found overhated that I will briefly stand in defense of.

Watch_Dogs.

The first game was certainly was not a GTA killer or even really a rival. It certainly had its flaws. But a super hyped game not being a 9/10 or 10/10 doesn't make it a 3 or a 4 either, like a lot of people, especially Metacritic raters, would have you believe the game is.

The second game is certainly better in every way, but the first game introduced some great ideas, especially with the sandbox combat (even if the world of its Chicago wasn't quite as open and sandbox-y as say Los Santos). It had a serviceable story (though a protagonist who is most memorable for being unmemorable), and some really appealing themes and tones to anti-authoritarian players, along with overall above average and unique gameplay.
I was gonna point out that Watch_Dogs, while overhyped, didn't belong in a list with No Man's Sky and Mighty No. Nine, but you beat me to it. :p

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
"I have a bad feeling about the future." sounds pretty doomy and gloomy to me
To be honest, though, I really am just conflicted and confused with myself about this stuff right now. I have a harder time accepting specific things then others, and what's going on right now is one such example.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I think hype works like I hear Vegemite does.

It's something that requires to an extent knowing what you're getting into and is only meant to be applied lightly, but a lot of people just glob it on without knowing what's going on and then act surprised when they don't like the taste.

Or like trying a seasoning you've never had before and just dumping the whole container onto your food.

Hype is fine, just don't overdo it and make sure you actually know what you're getting hyped for. I feel like things would be a lot easier if people could actually get excited over what they've actually seen instead of having to make up or exaggerate things to get excited about. But apparently realistic things just aren't exciting to people anymore.

I want to get excited over new tentacle styles in Splatoon, or the fact that we might possibly see follower Pokemon in the next Pokemon game (although the latter isn't a guarantee and my expectations are kept in check as such). Aren't the little things worth getting excited about too??

People just have to keep in mind that things might happen or they might not. Cool if they do, it's OK if they don't.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well sorta. The way it was presented was in a way where taking the device anywhere you wanted was the "icing on the cake" on top of being able to play the console on the big screen. You're still getting the full experience of the game at home though when you're playing on the go you'll just have to deal with a dip in quality.

As someone who isn't super invested in specs this isn't a huge deal to me though I can see why some people would be upset about this. Maybe Nintendo should have done better marketing the Switch; putting the emphasis on big screen TV play with remote play being a bonus. Or maybe it works both ways and people were expecting a little too much from a portable handheld.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Watch_Dogs.

The first game was certainly was not a GTA killer or even really a rival. It certainly had its flaws. But a game not being a 9/10 or 10/10 doesn't make it a 3 or a 4 either, like a lot of people, especially Metacritic raters, would have you believe the game is.

The second game is certainly better in every way, but the first game introduced some great ideas, especially with the sandbox combat (even if the world of its Chicago wasn't quite as open and sandbox-y as say Los Santos). It had a serviceable story (though a protagonist who is most memorable for being unmemorable), and some really appealing themes and tones to anti-authoritarian players.
I wouldn't say the first game is bad (mostly because I don't even have the game lol). But it's just that this game was victim of being overhyped. Maybe bor as other game like Mighty No.9, but it was still too hyped for what come as just a decent game, not bad, but certainly not what alot of peoples expected. (And Ubisoft should have make sure that the game was as a good as the trailer first show. Or just not showing those trailer in the first place or making it more clear to player why so much was toned down in advence.)
'Still better than No Man Sky tough, **** this game.
I think hype works like I hear Vegemite does.

It's something that requires to an extent knowing what you're getting into and is only meant to be applied lightly, but a lot of people just glob it on without knowing what's going on and then act surprised when they don't like the taste.

Or like trying a seasoning you've never had before and just dumping the whole container onto your food.

Hype is fine, just don't overdo it and make sure you actually know what you're getting hyped for. I feel like things would be a lot easier if people could actually get excited over what they've actually seen instead of having to make up or exaggerate things to get excited about. But apparently realistic things just aren't exciting to people anymore.

I want to get excited over new tentacle styles in Splatoon, or the fact that we might possibly see follower Pokemon in the next Pokemon game (although the latter isn't a guarantee and my expectations are kept in check as such). Aren't the little things worth getting excited about too??

People just have to keep in mind that things might happen or they might not. Cool if they do, it's OK if they don't.
Hype is a good thing for anything, but having too much hype can cause you to join the dark side of media. This is why I get so angry now when people try to have too many hope for anything when alot of games (and movies too) have show us why we should not being so excited and be sure that the game could perhaps be not as good as we were promised.
When I watch what happen to Mighty No.9 since it's annoucement to now what it's today. I can help but feel so sad, dissapointed that, after all this hype, that we will finally a new "Mega Man-like" game that will bring hope to the Mega Man fan I am. Only to see a game that was just asking the world when it could just deliver a half-baked cake.

I want to be hyped, I love being hyped. But every time, there is another game that ended up just dissapointing after being hyped as hell and creating controversy. And this is just sad.

Now, can we talk about something about more positif? Like how, the next episode of Hellsing Abridged is going to come soon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom