• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's Unveiling Their Next Device + Livestream Info!

Nx_livestream_B2.jpg

Today, Nintendo broke its’ vow of silence on it’s next next device! They announced that they will show a short trailer very soon. In order to celebrate, Source Gaming will host a live stream event an hour before the trailer.

Here are the details on when stream will start (An HOUR before the ‘NX’ trailer):

6AM PT
9 AM ET
2 PM UK
10 PM JST

..it starts in 30 minutes after this post goes up!

PushDustIn and Nantendo will host the event. Joining them will be Smash YouTuber, CJSZero01, YouTuber BriHard and Rory_J, a regular on BriHard’s channel.

Together they will discuss if they think Sakurai should continue to be involved with Smash, NX Hype and reactions to the trailer. If you haven’t check out the reasons why Sakurai SHOULD stay involved with Smash, and the reasons why he SHOULD NOT.

Follow Source Gaming on Twitter for more updates on the stream, and Nintendo news.

Join the stream at: https://www.twitch.tv/sourcecast/

If you missed the stream, check out Source Gaming's YouTube channel for a recording.

We look forward to seeing you there! What do you expect from the NX reveal? Let us know in the comments below!

PushDustin

Comments

What do I expect? Idk I feel the first few games that would be announced maybe won't hype me up just like when the wiiu was announced but I hope that I am wrong.

It's a 3 minute preview so a name and a glimpse of the console plus a date/time for a proper presentation. Anything else is a bonus.

You know that's not going to happen until he's dead right?

And that they'd make the game exactly like Sakurai would even with him gone.
On one hand I don't mind if Sakurai returns, but on the other hand this isn't really true. Metroid Prime, Majora's Mask, Canvas Curse, Super Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country were notable-drastic twists on formulas and among the best in their respective series and not made by the original creators, so why do people act like Smash is some exception despite doing it with everything else?

I recently watched the new trailer, and I spotted some stuff that seems interesting.

MarioKartNS.png

The image above looks to be a Mario Kart 8 expansion for the NS (my abbreviation for the Nintendo Switch), since in the Wii U version, King Boo is not a playable racer, nor could you hold two items at the same time.

Last edited:
On one hand I don't mind if Sakurai returns, but on the other hand this isn't really true. Metroid Prime, Majora's Mask, Canvas Curse, Super Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country were notable-drastic twists on formulas and among the best in their respective series and not made by the original creators, so why do people act like Smash is some exception despite doing it with everything else?
You're reaching here...

MM was made the way it was to pad out the limited content they had. Most of the changes didn't stick.

Kirby Canvas Curse was a spinoff, and then they immediately reverted to the Amazing Mirror engine. The next main game was a remake of what's considered to be Sakurai's best Kirby, and every main game following it has been in the same style.

Metroid and DK were largely dormant franchises when development began. The "DK" series was more Mario at that point... DKC is technically a spinoff. Metroid wasn't terribly successful.

Mario Galaxy and especially the 3DX series are closer to pre-64 gameplay then anything else.

The only gigantic departures in any of these franchises were either made by the OG head honcho (OM) or took about twenty years to happen (BotW).

im sad ...beause no smash news.
but seeing that mario kart and splatoon get update....im sure we will get smash bros UPDATE switch.

Let's pray for some k.rool smash switch in twitch soon

Everything but the date and time for an actual presentation.
Goddammit Nintendo.
Also: Dragonborn for Smash with a Skyrim tour stage.

Sakurai out of smash for the love of god please.
Though I doubt that's what they announce.
This is an announcement for the next Nintendo console, Sakurai has nothing to do with this. And with that said, it's kind baffling and sad seeing an anti-Sakurai sentiment brought up for no good reason, considering that the guy has done more good for the series contrary to what detractors have said.

Although it would be funny if a new director was in charge but still wouldn't vow down to some of the fans' personal wishes, so they start claiming for his head in a platter.

Last edited:
Or just a tech demo. Something tells me that it probably won't be released to public, and it was only shown to give us an idea on what the NS is capable of doing.
Idk seems like an odd choice. Doesn't show amazing graphical capabilities, shows King Boo instead of more marketable choices, dual item slot would be an unnecessary detail in this case, and you have to somewhat look for it, it's not like the LoZ tech demo for the Wii U's unveiling. Just two racers, and different layout from MK8.

I definitely see it as a low key reveal.

Last edited:
It appears that Wii U games will get NX ports, so Smash Wii U will just get an NX port and that will be the Smash game. Also, it seems like Sakurai is done with Smash.

Canvas Curse among the best Kirby games? Doubtful.
You know that's not going to happen until he's dead right?
As if something like death would stop Sakurai.

Obviously his ghost would come back to direct the series.

You're reaching here...

MM was made the way it was to pad out the limited content they had. Most of the changes didn't stick.

Kirby Canvas Curse was a spinoff, and then they immediately reverted to the Amazing Mirror engine. The next main game was a remake of what's considered to be Sakurai's best Kirby, and every main game following it has been in the same style.

Metroid and DK were largely dormant franchises when development began. The "DK" series was more Mario at that point... DKC is technically a spinoff. Metroid wasn't terribly successful.

Mario Galaxy and especially the 3DX series are closer to pre-64 gameplay then anything else.

The only gigantic departures in any of these franchises were either made by the OG head honcho (OM) or took about twenty years to happen (BotW).
Donkey Kong Country in almost every way matches more the definition then a reboot of the franchise then a spinoff.

Metroid was not quite the financial darling true, but Prime in particular was considered a surprisingly great overhaul of the standard formula and also stands as both the most critically praised one in the franchise and the best selling one with over 3 million sold.

The Kirby franchise always has played with the standard formula of gameplay style, so the only real games that qualify as spinoffs are Air Ride, Block Ball, and Avalanche. calling it a spinoff is like saying Sunshine is one.

I will concede Galaxy and Majora though, as they are more cases of refinements and polishing of standard formulas rather then complete overhauls though.

All the examples I provided do contribute to my over-arcing point though: all these games aware either directed or developed by people besides the original creator. despite this, all these games still became successes and the franchises carried on as usual. Smash does not die with Sakurai as he has stated himself in the past-I mean Kirtby has still been going strong even without him around(see: Robobot) and that was the game that got him in the industry as a teenager. So everyone acting like he's the only one who will ever work on this IP, despite nearly every other IP of Nintendo having changed hands and doing either just as well or even better then before, makes no sense.

as an aside though, Breath of the Wild actually isn't more an overhaul but a return to roots as it heavily expands upon the open world exploration set up by the Original Zelda and(to a lesser extent) Wind Waker and Link Between Worlds :p

Donkey Kong Country in almost every way matches more the definition then a reboot of the franchise then a spinoff.

Metroid was not quite the financial darling true, but Prime in particular was considered a surprisingly great overhaul of the standard formula and also stands as both the most critically praised one in the franchise and the best selling one with over 3 million sold.

The Kirby franchise always has played with the standard formula of gameplay style, so the only real games that qualify as spinoffs are Air Ride, Block Ball, and Avalanche. calling it a spinoff is like saying Sunshine is one.

I will concede Galaxy and Majora though, as they are more cases of refinements and polishing of standard formulas rather then complete overhauls though.

All the examples I provided do contribute to my over-arcing point though: all these games aware either directed or developed by people besides the original creator. despite this, all these games still became successes and the franchises carried on as usual. Smash does not die with Sakurai as he has stated himself in the past-I mean Kirtby has still been going strong even without him around(see: Robobot) and that was the game that got him in the industry as a teenager. So everyone acting like he's the only one who will ever work on this IP, despite nearly every other IP of Nintendo having changed hands and doing either just as well or even better then before, makes no sense.

as an aside though, Breath of the Wild actually isn't more an overhaul but a return to roots as it heavily expands upon the open world exploration set up by the Original Zelda and(to a lesser extent) Wind Waker and Link Between Worlds :p
The DK series basically didn't exist until country.

That's the point... Giving retro Metroid was hardly a risk.

Well Sunshine was awful and has no place in the franchise, so yeah lol. Canvas Curse is closer to mainline Kirby, but it wasn't a real way forwards either and itself didn't get a sequel for a long time.

Never said the series would die without Sakurai... Nintendo just overwhelmingly avoids change. Everybody does really.

...See, you lost me. I don't care what they say, the game doesn't resemble old Zeldas outside of the barren over world.

Top Bottom