• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's Toy Carrying Marsupial: Mini Kangaroo for Super Smash Bros Switch

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
I support this! The Mini Kangaroo would make an iconic choice due to the toys/game back from the 70's before we had their big video games. Sakurai better pick this one up. :)

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh hey! This character could be an alternative vehicle to 9-Volt for the moveset I drew for him a bit ago.

9_volt_super_smash_bros__by_mattdog1000000-d9tuqc1.png

Just replace 9-Volt with this Mini Kangaroo, and you've essentially got the same character, just a pre-video game era Nintendo rep. I'll support it!

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
I'm new in here. I will love to see Mini Kangaroo in Smash Ultimate. I drew a fanart of her from the tablet!
Mini Kangaroo.png

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Retro characters are awesome and I’d love to see another come in. Especially this one. A kangaroo in smash bros sound awesome! But now I’m wondering what her victory theme would be

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Retro characters are awesome and I’d love to see another come in. Especially this one. A kangaroo in smash bros sound awesome! But now I’m wondering what her victory theme would be
Since most Nintendo toys (even electric ones) lacked real music sadly, I see them the route of creating original music.

Or go the Game & Watch approach making a jingle based on the sound effects of various toys. Just in a way that is cohesive.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Me too ! I love to be surprised. If they put her in the game, I think I'll main her. Could you add me on the list ?
Sure thing, I will do it.

So... would Mini-Kangaroo be considered the 'WTF' rep, retro rep, or ...hardware(?) rep?
Technically both. She represents Nintendo's history of making toys and a character no on really expected nor considered before.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
how about the jingle from the end of this Game and Watch commercial? a nostalgic, catchy and upbeat tune, it fits Mini to a T!

I also had an idea for a victory pose based on the Australian Ultra Hand box
where Mini throws her joey into the air, and picks him up using the Ultra Hand, then rests him on her shoulder.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
how about the jingle from the end of this Game and Watch commercial? a nostalgic, catchy and upbeat tune, it fits Mini to a T!

I also had an idea for a victory pose based on the Australian Ultra Hand box
where Mini throws her joey into the air, and picks him up using the Ultra Hand, then rests him on her shoulder.
That would be a cute idea and nostalgic throwback.

I'd love it alot.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I'm in love with this idea. Kangaroos are popular animals, Japan-only be darned; I think this would be a great character and a well-recieved one at that. Of course, it's not Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid...

lol I guess that problem is universal with these wacky historical characters. But still, how could anybody be mad at an adorable little kangaroo?

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
This girl deserves to live a little, and I believe that's why she might benefit from a spot in the Smash Ultimate roster. Count me in.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And added both of you. Glad there's love for this part of Nintendo's own history.

Even I wouldn't mind a small not to her in Smash at all. But seeing her bouncing around in Smash is more ideal.

The OG Nintendo mascot (even before games) needs some respect on her name.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I supported Mini Kangaroo in the old Smash 4 thread (with a different account) and will support again. It's nice to see the OG Nintendo mascot getting more support and fan art again.

Speaking of fan art I drew this for the old thread. I was going for a Mario Bros art style when I drew this. I regret giving her boxing gloves though. I'm gonna update this design and also draw one that's a bit closer to her old one. Maybe even draw out a move set.
image.png

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I like the boxing gloves, let the joey use the toys while mama lays the smackdown.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I supported Mini Kangaroo in the old Smash 4 thread (with a different account) and will support again. It's nice to see the OG Nintendo mascot getting more support and fan art again.

Speaking of fan art I drew this for the old thread. I was going for a Mario Bros art style when I drew this. I regret giving her boxing gloves though. I'm gonna update this design and also draw one that's a bit closer to her old one. Maybe even draw out a move set.
View attachment 171060
wow! I see that fan art everywhere, normally without credit, so it's amazing to find out who drew it! yeah, the boxing gloves look a little silly, and probably aren't the best for a character who handles toys in her moveset.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
This won't happen, Sakurai's been broken by the ungrateful whiney side of the smash fandom and adding characters with boring generic movesets now, rather than the random stuff like Villager, Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer which always turns out great.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This won't happen, Sakurai's been broken by the ungrateful whiney side of the smash fandom and adding characters with boring generic movesets now, rather than the random stuff like Villager, Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer which always turns out great.
You're calling THEM "ungrateful"? there's simply less space for new characters due to old characters returning, so an unexpected retro/weird character wouldn't make sense compared to a popular, easy to conceptualise character more people would appreciate.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
You're calling THEM "ungrateful"? there's simply less space for new characters due to old characters returning, so an unexpected retro/weird character wouldn't make sense compared to a popular, easy to conceptualise character more people would appreciate.
To be fair, we can't make the claim that there's less space due to new characters returning because no one from the Smash community and the speculation side of it are apart of the Dev team and knows who is on the final roster + DLC. Plus there's no such thing as slots. I understand where his post comes from with the community being whiny or just come off as ungrateful at times but those handful of people don't really make up the majority. Maybe I'm being naive idk.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

View attachment 171060
Nice, glad I could see the original maker of this piece. Welp, I do have to keep the hype rolling for this roo after all since no one else would.

And good luck with both the moveset and the updated Mini Kangaroo design.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Looks like this thread is up for grabs for those that want it.

I will be leaving this place for good. And no, Smash has nothing to do with it because I have bigger problems.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I see everyone simply stopped talking about Mini Kangaroo.

And it's alright Anvil, you can still be the thread owner if you want.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I see everyone simply stopped talking about Mini Kangaroo.

And it's alright Anvil, you can still be the thread owner if you want.
I guess since there hasn't been much in the way of retro representation in Smash Ultimate, I suppose we just didn't have too much to go off of in regards to that. Of course, I still support Mini-Kangaroo (can't speak for everyone else on that), but since no one's been here to talk about her, well... you know.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
She would definitely fill an empty niche of Nintendo’s past. They were a toy company. :ultrob: Is evidence of that. But a character that predates video games would be cool. And a kangaroo fits that bill.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I want to support. I think we need a bit more toy and old Nintendo stuff represented.
She would definitely fill an empty niche of Nintendo’s past. They were a toy company. :ultrob: Is evidence of that. But a character that predates video games would be cool. And a kangaroo fits that bill.
Yes, yes and yes. This is the kind of support I want to see. And you are right that we need at least someone to represent Nintendo's old days of toys before gaming.

I'll add both of you to the list.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Hey, everyone (And AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 I suppose)! Sorry I haven't been around much on the Mini Kangaroo front. Looks like things went into a lull. I wonder if I'd ever get to take over the thread anymore now that I'm focusing on finishing college...

My really crazy idea would be a pinball-player moveset inspired by Miracle Ball. On the other hand though, major moves like Special Moves could be based off of various Mini Games and other Nintendo toys.
:GCB:: Shot Racer Car. Tap and Miniroo spawns a Shot Racer Car and lets it drive off somewhere. Hold out, and Miniroo jumps in and charges ahead at 25% more speed than you would get out of tapping :GCB:. Doesn't have as much air speed all-in-all, though, so deal however you can.
:GCR::GCB:: Ultra Machine. Miniroo plops out an Ultra Machine, and you can hold this down for a second to charge up to ten balls. Let go, and the Ultra Machine spits balls at the same rate as Fox's lasers, but a fifth slower.
:GCU::GCB:: Ultra Hand. Miniroo will hop toward whatever angle you choose (Between 0 and 90° counterclockwise, for clarity's sake), extending the Ultra Hand at the same angle. If you choose to go at 45° or less, this will also act as a tether recovery.
:GCD::GCB:: Hopping Game. Miniroo spawns a launching piece from this under herself, then stomps on it. Hit :GCB: as you stomp, and the miniature rocket will go higher and bury grounded opponents. Hit :GCB: too soon or too late, though, and the rocket's trajectory gets screwed up - at least it has a weak-to-medium meteor effect this time.
The Final Smash, obviously, is proper Miracle Ball. Anyone on-screen gets trapped in this little toy pinball game and will be forced to stay away from the bottom - if you get sent down to the bottom pocket, it's KO-ville for you.

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
Not only do I support - I kind of "came up with" this character idea. I was scrolling through beforemario some time after Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, because I had been blindsided by her appearance and I loved it, so I did a ton of research around that time about characters that would similarly gobsmack folks. I had always thought that a character representing pre-video game Nintendo would be cool, and the topic interested me in general, so as I was reading the blog I had multiple ideas of different characters who could be adapted from Nintendo toys into Smash.

The Mini-Games stood out to me, and I made a couple topics on GameFAQs, a personal-use roster maker icon, and tried to drum up some support for the character... and in the end I resorted to getting in on the Fake Leak scene that had been really swelling during Smash 4's release cycle. I posted it on 4chan, screenshotted it myself and then also sent it to the blog challengerapproaching.tumblr.com, and let the internet do its magic.

I coined the name Mini-Kangaroo, too.

I can prove this if you feel I need to, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I am so incredibly happy that there is ANY support, fanart, etc. for this character. She's my #1 most wanted newcomer and she will never be added but. We can all imagine together.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not only do I support - I kind of "came up with" this character idea. I was scrolling through beforemario some time after Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, because I had been blindsided by her appearance and I loved it, so I did a ton of research around that time about characters that would similarly gobsmack folks. I had always thought that a character representing pre-video game Nintendo would be cool, and the topic interested me in general, so as I was reading the blog I had multiple ideas of different characters who could be adapted from Nintendo toys into Smash.

The Mini-Games stood out to me, and I made a couple topics on GameFAQs, a personal-use roster maker icon, and tried to drum up some support for the character... and in the end I resorted to getting in on the Fake Leak scene that had been really swelling during Smash 4's release cycle. I posted it on 4chan, screenshotted it myself and then also sent it to the blog challengerapproaching.tumblr.com, and let the internet do its magic.

I coined the name Mini-Kangaroo, too.

I can prove this if you feel I need to, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I am so incredibly happy that there is ANY support, fanart, etc. for this character. She's my #1 most wanted newcomer and she will never be added but. We can all imagine together.
So you were the one that coined the 'Mini-Kangaroo' name and created the 'leak' that featured her, huh? Well, thank you for giving us a name to rally behind! Say, I'd like to ask you all... if Mini-Kangaroo was a Spirit in Smash Ultimate, what would the conditions of her Spirit Battle be?

Last edited:

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
So you were the one that coined the 'Mini-Kangaroo' name and created the 'leak' that featured her, huh? Well, thank you for giving us a name to rally behind! Say, I'd like to ask you all... if Mini-Kangaroo was a Spirit in Smash Ultimate, what would the conditions of her Spirit Battle be?
I was. No prob lol, thank you for rallying around her.

Spirit Battle... I think Isabelle is probably the closest character fit - that or Mr. Game and Watch, but I think Isabelle... in Living Room, maybe? It's hard, there really isn't anyone quite like Mini-Kangaroo in Smash.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was. No prob lol, thank you for rallying around her.

Spirit Battle... I think Isabelle is probably the closest character fit - that or Mr. Game and Watch, but I think Isabelle... in Living Room, maybe? It's hard, there really isn't anyone quite like Mini-Kangaroo in Smash.
Hmm... I was thinking Mini-Kangaroo's Spirit Battle would consist of a giant yellow Yoshi (the mom) and a little yellow Yoshi (the child) assisting it.

Top Bottom