• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's Toy Carrying Marsupial: Mini Kangaroo for Super Smash Bros Switch

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Mini Kangaroo Bounces Into Battle!

What is Mini Kangaroo?

Mini Kangaroo was a mascot fo sort for the Nintendo Mini Game series during the 70's before Nintendo entered the gaming scene. The logo is simple, a large orange/yellow kangaroo depicted with an oversized oblong pouch (sometimes with a smaller joey riding inside). It was a simple enough design to emphasize the fun of the various mini games contained within the package (which the pouch is used to symbolize).

Some of these games were rather simple in design, being the Puzzle Ball Maze game where one would role a small ball in a maze towards the end or Chess which is a miniature version of the competitive board game many would enjoy. Then you would have the larger more complex Rabbit Coaster which allows you to build a large track/slide playlet for a series of small beans to roll down towards the end. These toys were sold during a time where toy making grew more than relevant in Japanese society before the rise of video games that truly made Nintendo take.

Is this a joke, how would it fight? Should non-gaming Nintendo characters be allowed?

What you see here is a diverse selection of various games in the entire Mini Game series. Nintendo has a rich history of old toys that would work well as Mini Kangroo's arsenal since she was a toy mascot after all for the company. She could even use other famed Nintendo inventions at the time like the Ultra Hand or the infamous Chitori Vacuum toy. Not to mention being a kangaroo herself could lead to some interesting kicks and tail attacks, in addition to her joey with her pouch. The Rabbit Coaster would be an excellent Final Smash if only because it happens to be the biggest and most complex Mini Game at the time. These toys were arguably games before Nintendo got even deeper into the proper tech to make video games (especially arcades).

We already have the Robot Operation Buddy (ROB), who just happens to be a toy/accessory that was compatible with NES games like Gyromite and Stack Up. If he could be acceptable enough for Super Smash Bros, then I don't see what make Mini Kangaroo prohibited. Not to mention she was a creation of Nintendo long before video games are a thing. Just give her a more anthropomorphic design that still has elements of the logo's appearance (yellow fur, black stripes on the pouch, etc). And maybe give her a cartoony voice since realistic roo noises would be kind of silly for Smash.

Funtime Moveset
Entrance Animation: A simplified version of the Mini Kangaroo logo appears, then it transforms into the anthropomorphic living kangaroo on the battlefield. The joey pops up out of his mothers pouch before she looks at him briefly.
Idle Animation: Mini Kangaroo sways side to side with a smile on her face as her joey looks forward. Her ears will be twitching during the entire stance. Sometimes, the joey would be digging inside his mother’s pouch briefly with her annoyed expression or the mother would be nuzzling her joey’s head with her nose lovingly.
Walk: Mini Kangaroo does a slow kangaroo hop while the joey holds on to her pouch.
Run: She hops ever faster with her head held forward like a real kangaroo. The joey will be clinging tighter with he his head down.
Sleeping Animation: She sleeps with her head down whillist standing. The joey sleeps while almost hanging out of her mother’s pouch.
Dizzy Animation: Mini Kangaroo stumbles around with her eyes cartoonishly rolling around in a daze. They Joey is just as dizzy and tries to avoid falling out the pouch.
Dodge Animation: She does a side hope while the joey teases the opponent from his mother’s pouch.
Normals
Jab: Mini Kangaroo punches with her right glove, then the left, and follows up with a powerful kick from both feet.
Forward Tilt:She swings her massive yellow tail in a whiplash manner.
Up Tilt: She does a heavy headbutt.
Down Tilt: She does a hard-hitting sweep kick with her strong legs.
Dash Attack: She strolls a Mamaberica stroller ahead of her to trample foes. This would cause a racking effect.
Neutral Air: She spins briefly plays the El Conga drums to emit weak shockwaves around her.
Forward Air: She blows with the air pump from Dynamic Soccer. It can only damage up close and the end of the wind has a windbow that blows foes away like Game & Watch’s Up Aerial.
Back Air: She quickly swipes with a Picture Cutter behind herself. With the joey following up with his own from her pouch.
Up Air: She pops a Jumping Bottle, which will cause the top half to fly into the air and explode.
Down Air: She rings a massive blue bell from Block Ringer below herself.
Forward Smash: Her joey pulls out the Air Gun for her mother to grab and aim forward. Depending on the charge, she will fire at least one or three red balls at her opponent, the last hit dealing the most damage.
Up Smash: She pulls out the Space Ball toy and uses it to blue a blue ball into the air above her. The ball can trap opponents like Sonic’s Up Smash.
Down Smash: She faces forward as two large flippers from the Hockey Game appears on either side. Then she hops to command them to flip up to knock her foe into the air.
Grab: Mini Kagaroo’s joey shoots out a Chitori vacuum that will act as Olimar’s grab to suck any opponent that’s close (thus taking them back to her paw’s grip).
Pummel: The joey beats up the grabbed foe as his mother holds them tightly.
Forward Throw: A massive Chess Piece from Magnet Chess appears to push the foe away from them.
Back Throw: She jumps on the closest side of the Twins Seesaw to fling the opponent backwards.
Up Throw: She tosses the foe into a set of large gears from Gear Mesh to grind the opponent.
Down Throw: She traps the foe in a Candy Machine that will “make them into candy”. Which the end result while be the opponent being thrown, but heavier and slower for a brief amount of time due to sugarcoating.
Neutral Special: Shot Racer
Mini Kangaroo takes out a Shot Racer game, which can shoot out a series of cars from the barrel of the gun. These cars can be a fast moving ground projectile and ram at full speed. They can also be able to climb walls or slopes based on the speed/charge of them. A fully charged shot would be enough to break boxes easily. The downside is that they can’t hit anyone that can jump over them easily and they can be reflected back at her.
Side Special: Ultra Machine
She places an Ultra Machine in front of her, which acts very similar to a Killer Eye as it fires five baseballs one at a time. These baseballs do weak damage, but it’s excellent for spacing. Using this attack again while you are far from it would result in it hitting in a different direct and with greater power. It can disappear after a while.
Up Special: Ultra Hand
Mini Kangaroo pulls out the Ultra Hand, then extends it based on the direction. It can stretch at a length that surpasses Zero Suit Samus’s Plasma Whip. Other than being a tether recovery for grabbing ledges, it can also act as a secondary grab that leads into her stomping on her opponent aggressively after pulling them in.
Down Special: Block Puzzle
Mini Kangaroo takes out a large puzzle piece, which will act was a panel for protection and floats like the Bumper/Flipper item. When hit, it will spin around like the blocks from the Yoshi’s Island stage, but damage foes that are too close. It can also deflect items or projectiles as long as that block spins. You can only take out three of these pieces at a time and they can disappear after a while or when hit enough times.
Final Smash: Rabbit Coaster
Mini Kangaroo and her joey whistles for a giant bean from Rabbit Coaster to swoop down across the stage. When a foe is hit, they will be dragged into a cutscene depicting them on the tracks of a massive rabbit coaster. The trapped opponent will see multiple rolling beans heading their way from the top of the rap as Min Kangaroo tauntingly hops above the middle bean.
The foe is then hit by these stampede of beans and sent flying in the sky towards a constellation in the shape of Mini Kangaroo. This returns to normal gameplay of the foe being knocked away or KO’d based on the damage. Mini Kangaroo celebrates with a hi five to her joey at the end of the Final Smash. Multiple foes can be hit by the beginning attack and affected like Duck Hunt and Captain Falcon’s Final Smash.
Taunt 1: Mini Kangaroo plays with a Love Tester device, as her joey looks up curiously. The end result is a heart being spawned above her head from a successful connection.
Taunt 2: The joey jumps jump and down in her mother’s pouch, leading her to scold her son in an annoyed manner in kangaroo noises.
Taunt 3: Mini Kangaroo bends down and looks around like an alert kangaroo, leading her son to remind her mother than she is safe. She eventually raises her body again and “apologizes” to her son.
Victory Animation 1: Mini Kangaroo is playing the Bee Hive game by hitting the blocks with a hammer. All the yellow hexagonal blocks will fall and her joey is excited by the “mess” she made from the game.
Victory Animation 2: Mini Kangaroo takes out her joey from her pouch for him go on quick walk, only for him to tumble after his third hop. She laughs at her son knowing that he as a long way to go.
Victory Animation 3: The joey digs into her mother’s pouch to pull out many cards that he will flutter several times. Then she blushes from the mess and pats his head to let him know it’s time to stop.

Mini Game Customers
AwesomeAussie27
StormC
Yomi's Biggest Fan
kylexv
8 Bit-Man
Wario Wario Wario
Pacack
Guybrush20X6
Ghirahilda
SquashiniKun
ChrysanthosVice
ZestyN
BluePikmin11
smashkirby
kool2419
MBRedboy31
Manonymous
verysleepywolf
War Anvil
Gemini-Gene
smash puffle
HYRULESHERO52

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
As far as bat**** crazy nostalgia characters go, this is my favorite pick. Put me down as support.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've been thinking of this character ever since then. She could be something incredibly unique as far as Smash goes.

Basically, I tend to think of three things when considering a Smash character:

1) Does the character have a unique/interesting design?
2) Could they have an engaging, creative playstyle?
3) Do they represent something interesting or important in Nintendo's history?

Mini Kangaroo fulfills all three.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yeah, I've been thinking of this character ever since then. She could be something incredibly unique as far as Smash goes.

Basically, I tend to think of three things when considering a Smash character:

1) Does the character have a unique/interesting design?
2) Could they have an engaging, creative playstyle?
3) Do they represent something interesting or important in Nintendo's history?

Mini Kangaroo fulfills all three.
Right. That alone would make her a very interesting character to design for Sakurai if he would be up for it.

Just imagine the fun he had making Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt work. There is no other character suitable enough to present the toy side of Nintendo's history. Even trying to make the Ultra Hand a standard playable character wouldn't had worked.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I had the feeling you would bring this back from the dead. And good luck with making the entire moveset.

By the way, I still support. The idea of a kangaroo attacking Mario with a toy gun or the Ultra Hand sounds hilarious. She would fit Smash so well.

kylexv

Smash Master
Seeing this thread takes me back to the days where all those ridiculous Smash 4 leaks popped up and were struck down. Back then, I supported having a super obscure retro character or a crazy WTF pick like the Mini Kangaroo, and that hasn't changed.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Seeing this thread takes me back to the days where all those ridiculous Smash 4 leaks popped up and were struck down. Back then, I supported having a super obscure retro character or a crazy WTF pick like the Mini Kangaroo, and that hasn't changed.
Those must had been good times. I was a lurker that time and found the original Mini Kangaroo thread around the time the leak had happened. Was disappointed it was fake, but I would still fight for their inclusion because it's too good of an idea to ignore.

What's better than a yellow kangaroo that beats up people with various old Nintendo toys?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I will support my favourite miniature marsupial! (through she's not my favourite marsupial overall!)

I think her neutral B should be the Shot Racer, because it has such an awesomely dumb concept. it's a gun that shoots cars!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
To quote myself from an old rate their chance topic

Mini Kangaroo
Chance 0%
ha ha ha
Want 100%
As an Australian, I feel it is my patriotic duty to give this a high want score
No seriously
https://smashboards.com/threads/rat...edition-day-192-the-final-day.398604/page-250

I remember rating this and what I said so I dug this up to see

Also about a different Kangaroo, does anyone else get annoyed by Ricky, he's a male Kangaroo with a pouch, he's as bad as the cows from Barnyard

If Mini-Kangaroo gets in, I'd want her to be referred to as a female

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I will support my favourite miniature marsupial! (through she's not my favourite marsupial overall!)

I think her neutral B should be the Shot Racer, because it has such an awesomely dumb concept. it's a gun that shoots cars!
Oooooh, that would be an excellent Neutral Special. I will keep that one in mind while developing her movset.

The Gun Game with the balls however can be used for an aerial.

To quote myself from an old rate their chance topic

No seriously
https://smashboards.com/threads/rat...edition-day-192-the-final-day.398604/page-250

I remember rating this and what I said so I dug this up to see

Also about a different Kangaroo, does anyone else get annoyed by Ricky, he's a male Kangaroo with a pouch, he's as bad as the cows from Barnyard

If Mini-Kangaroo gets in, I'd want her to be referred to as a female
Yeah. I can respect that the Zelda devs wanted to have a kangaroo character to stand out in the cast, but Ricky being anatomically incorrect always bothered me. He's a roo, not a thylacine (the only species where both sexes has a pouch).

And I still appreciate the enthusiasm. A kangaroo would be excellent in Smash. I do hope Sakurai correctly refers her as female since realistically only female roos has pouches.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This just might be daft enough to work.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I swear, people make support thread for complete nonsense characters just because they can. They don't even care if the character could work as a fighter or not.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I swear, people make support thread for complete nonsense characters just because they can. They don't even care if the character could work as a fighter or not.
How does this not work? The character is one of Nintendo's first proper mascots, and it has an entire series of toys to pull from. It makes a lot of sense that this character could represent Nintendo's toymaking past, just as R.O.B. represents their reviving of the North American video game market, Mr. Game and Watch represents their first success in the early handheld market, and Duck Hunt represents Nintendo's light gun arcade and NES games. It's a logical next step to have a character that represents the bridge between being a card company and transitioning to arcade games - the toy era.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Bear in mind that a moveset is still in progress and I have a solid idea of how the character would work.

The harder part is finding which toys would work and how can it be an attack. There are 32 different Mini Games total, plus any other toy I can find on that blog. Research is highly important for it to work.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Bear in mind that a moveset is still in progress and I have a solid idea of how the character would work.

The harder part is finding which toys would work and how can it be an attack. There are 32 different Mini Games total, plus any other toy I can find on that blog. Research is highly important for it to work.
I might work on one too, but no definitives on that one :p

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I might work on one too, but no definitives on that one :p
Good luck. Yours just may wind up being just as unique than mines.

Which I am down to making the specials and Final Smash before I'm finished.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm still waiting on that moveset.

Who am I kidding, both Pacack and Aussie's movesets will be great either way.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Funny now that you mention it, I had uploaded the entire moveset minutes ago. lol

Anywyas, Mini Kangaroo is designed as a fighting clown with zoning and trap elements in her moveset. She's got so many toys than Toys R Us can handle from all of Nintendo's history.

These include the El Conga, Mamaberica, Love Tester, Block Ringer, Picture Cutter, Dynamic Soccer, Air Gun, Hockey Game, Jumping Bottle, Space Ball, Magnetic Chess, Twins Seesaw, Chitori, Ultra Machine, Ultra Hand, Block Puzzle, Shot Racer, Candy Machine, Gear Mesh, and Rabbit Coaster.

It took a lot of research to pull this off and thinking about the practicality of each attack. I feel that I did her some justice.

And here's the link to the Before Mario Blog if you want to see pictures of these toys for comparison.

http://blog.beforemario.com/2011/09/nintendo-mini-game-series-overview-1971.html

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I still support. Hoping they'd go with the minimalist look

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's an honestly adorable moveset and concept and it genuinely makes me smile reading the post. Absolutely supported!
Thanks, glad you loved the moveset.

It really is a cute idea.

I still support. Hoping they'd go with the minimalist look
I'd be fine with any approach with the character, as long as we still see a roo beat up Mario with a toy gun.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I can only see Hanafuda and a 1960s toy character being possible choices for Smash Switch's surprise character. I had not known there was a mascot for one of Nintendo's toy line till now, so I guess the Mini Kangaroo can be used to represent Nintendo's most famous toys. I feel there are more forms that a 1960s toy character can take though, but I support anyway.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I can only see Hanafuda and a 1960s toy character being possible choices for Smash Switch's surprise character. I had not known there was a mascot for one of Nintendo's toy line till now, so I guess the Mini Kangaroo can be used to represent Nintendo's most famous toys. I feel there are more forms that a 1960s toy character can take though, but I support anyway.
The only other character I can think of who's relevant to Nintendo's toy era would be their Joker from their western playing cards, and that's more removed from the toys than the kangaroo is.

Plus, the Joker has two radically different designs.

The Mini Kangaroo makes more sense as a mascot of the toy era.

That said, I think it would be unwise to dismiss Sheriff as a historical rep this time around. He is Nintendo's first video game protagonist, after all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I can understand why people want Sheriff, but I only see historical retros that made a notable impact on Nintendo's history being the ones chosen. Sheriff being the first Nintendo character is more of a novelty than an impactful one. Hence why I think Nintendo toys and Hanafuda are the only historical retro options left.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Say, I don't think I'm on the support list yet...
I will handle that later. Had a lot of things to do.

Both you and Blue will be on their later.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Whoops! Sorry. Didn't know you were busy. I hope I wasn't coming off as rushing you or anything.
Oh no, that's alright.

Just that most of what I ddi last week was kind of rushed. lol

But you two should be up there now.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh no, that's alright.

Just that most of what I ddi last week was kind of rushed. lol

But you two should be up there now.
Oh, OK. First things first, I'd like to take the time to say your moveset for Mini-Kangaroo was REALLY sweet!

Also, do you think Mini-Kangaroo would use realistic noises (a'la Duck Hunt) or cartoonish noises (a'la Yoshi)?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh, OK. First things first, I'd like to take the time to say your moveset for Mini-Kangaroo was REALLY sweet!

Also, do you think Mini-Kangaroo would use realistic noises (a'la Duck Hunt) or cartoonish noises (a'la Yoshi)?
Oh thanks, I worked very hard on the whole thing and did the research.

Also, I feel she needs more cartoonier voices to stand out. Real roo noises coming out of her would be awkward since they only grunt when attacking or in pain.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Ahh, what a cute, obscure character... I do think the lack of international knowledge of them hurts their chances (unlike several other Japanese exclusive Nintendo toys, I don't think they even got referenced in 9-Volt's sets in WarioWare, correct me if I'm wrong?) but it would be fun to see how they could be implemented, it would help people learn more about Nintendo's history, plus I would like to see more cartoony kangaroos in videogames in general. Might as well sign up for the support list, right?

By the way, I'm the one who anonymously made that CGI fanart of Mini Kangaroo back on their Smash 4 speculation thread that a friend posted on my behalf. I really have lurked this site for years, ahaha...
Edit: Image didn't work, so I used the URL from the old Smash 4 thread.

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
What a cute obscure character. I had no idea Nintendo had a history of toys before they made video games and yet another old school Nintendo character i would like to see in Smash Switch. Mini Kangaroo has my support.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh thanks, I worked very hard on the whole thing and did the research.

Also, I feel she needs more cartoonier voices to stand out. Real roo noises coming out of her would be awkward since they only grunt when attacking or in pain.
Well, it certainly shows!

Yeah, you have a point on the voice clips. I guess the reason I asked this was because...well, I don't know if you saw my earlier post pertaining to Mini-Kangaroo, but I basically stated what I've stated in the past about Mini-Kangaroo. "If Tekken could make a fighting kangaroo work..."

Ahh, what a cute, obscure character... I do think the lack of international knowledge of them hurts their chances (unlike several other Japanese exclusive Nintendo toys, I don't think they even got referenced in 9-Volt's sets in WarioWare, correct me if I'm wrong?) but it would be fun to see how they could be implemented, it would help people learn more about Nintendo's history, plus I would like to see more cartoony kangaroos in videogames in general. Might as well sign up for the support list, right?

By the way, I'm the one who anonymously made that CGI fanart of Mini Kangaroo back on their Smash 4 speculation thread that a friend posted on my behalf. I really have lurked this site for years, ahaha...
You know what's funny? As far as I know, WarioWare STILL hasn't referenced the Mini-Kangaroo in any way, shape, or form... but Yoshi's Island DS DID. I think there was an item in the game in Mini-Roo's likeness that Yoshi and the babies could use to get across large gaps or something? I could be remembering this wrong...

Also, that's YOUR art? It's really cute!

What a cute obscure character. I had no idea Nintendo had a history of toys before they made video games and yet another old school Nintendo character i would like to see in Smash Switch. Mini Kangaroo has my support.
Yeah, Nintendo did a LOT of... "different" stuff before video games. Love hotels, trading cards, toys, you name it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

You made this CG art? It’s cute and honestly close enough to the way she looks if she were in Smash. You must had had a lot of fun making this.

And I do agree her being well known only in Japan hurts her alot compared to Napoleon from Hanafuda.

Well, it certainly shows!

Yeah, you have a point on the voice clips. I guess the reason I asked this was because...well, I don't know if you saw my earlier post pertaining to Mini-Kangaroo, but I basically stated what I've stated in the past about Mini-Kangaroo. "If Tekken could make a fighting kangaroo work...”
Oh yeah. I know that one. You sure love your fighting games. In this case, I feel the only things she should take from Roger is the concept and jabs. The voice, it would be too unfitting and offputting.

Top Bottom