• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Nintendo's Marketing Strategies: The Key to Clearing E3 Confusion/Stress?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
NOTICE: The strikes are edits made after gathering more information and discussion. They are not to be interpreted as sarcastic inside comments. I included this so that my previous statements could still be seen.

I have a feeling that even when the game releases, they'll still be developing the game for future DLC packs.

I get the impression that Sakurai and his team are hurrying through development trying to put as much as they can into Smash (within their deadline) so that they can deliver a game that would help the Wii U's sales.

Remember how Brawl was delayed multiple times? Perhaps they were able to delay Brawl's release because sales of the original Wii weren't in dire straights (the Wii U is suffering, in comparison). This allowed them to spend more time debugging many aspects of Brawl. Brawl took a long time to debug. I don't feel there's enough time from the demo of Smash 4 to its planned release to debug it fully and add more planned content.

As for the 3DS version, they can't delay its release either (US version delayed to October, not a major enough delay to hinder its marketing pressure before the Wii U version's release), even if the 3DS is doing okay with its sales. That would be horrible marketing. I feel that they're releasing the 3DS version before the Wii U to provoke the consumer into buying both versions; I would expect the average consumer to think, by the time the 3DS version releases, "hey, I want the Smash experience, but I don't want to wait", so they'll end up buying the 3DS version before the Wii U version is released. Point being, I have a feeling Nintendo knows that most fans regularly anticipate the Wii U version more than the 3DS version. Why do you think they're pushing so much content for the 3DS version and not the Wii U one? Just check out the official Smash Brothers website! The Wii U section doesn't even exist yet! It feels like they're really trying to pressure us into buying both. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy both, however. I'm just saying that we should try to look at answering Nintendo's antics from a marketing perspective, since in the end Nintendo is a business.

During the Round-table Q & A session with Sakurai, someone asked him about the large gap of release dates between both versions. Sakurai answered that the team needs to focus debugging one version before the other, and that debugging is generally a long process. Sakurai was probably telling a partial truth. They do need to focus on debugging, however Brawl's many long delays prove that there is simply too much debugging to be done in this short amount of time. Not to mention, they're still adding extra content to the games. Once those are completed, they have the process of debugging them as well!

Hear me out on the following, because it's potentially a very important keystone in further explaining Nintendo's possible marketing strategies. The Sal Romano/Gematsu leak. Now before you have any chances of jumping the gun, I have no intention of arguing the leaker/tipster's credibility in this thread (You can take that to The Official Sal Romano/Gematsu leak). Anyways, just an hour before the Digital Event Sal Romano himself posted here in the Smashboards regarding another e-mail he received. He even confirmed this was him on his blog, Gematsu. The most interesting post included in the e-mail was that "Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy."

Now lets take a small step back, after letting that sink in. Let's take a look at the newcomers revealed thus far. Are you underwhelmed? Are you anxious about Nintendo not including newcomers from their more major/prominent franchises (minus Kid Icarus for Smash seniority reasons)? These are legitimate feelings to have, since Nintendo executives have not been clear of their purpose. Their lack of clarity has roused chaos in the fanbase. However, they cannot be clear about the current flaws/bugs and developmental strategies they have planned, because that might make them look weak in front of their investors and competitors. Even in the gaming industry, there are politics and business, no matter how overlooked they might be in the forums or elsewhere by fans. Instead we are left to infer, and that's the purpose of this thread.

** Let me take a minor step aside and clarify what I mean by "Nintendo's major/prominent franchises". I am referring to the franchises that have been expanded upon since Smash's first iteration on the Nintendo 64. We currently have only 2 newcomers that expand upon these franchises: Greninja (Pokemon) and Rosalina (Mario). We are missing newcomers from the remaining franchises that many might argue should be expanded upon, such as: The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Metroid, and Kirby. Instead, the Smash 4 developers seem to be focusing on newcomers outside of this franchise peripheral. My question is this: why? One possible answer, at least hypothetically in this thread, is to look at how Nintendo is marketing the new Smash Brothers. Look at what they're focusing on showing us (more features on the 3DS version of Smash as opposed to the Wii U version, the newcomers outside of the franchises that have expanded since Smash's first iteration, etc.), and question why they are focusing on these things. Take a step back and review all that you have mused with the following in mind: Nintendo is a business. I am well aware I have said this before, but I cannot stress enough how important this fact is to consider into reasoning out Nintendo's actions.

During the Roundtable Q & A session with Sakurai, he was explaining how he viewed Smash as a party game, and that he and his team were trying to find ways in expanding the Smash audience. Take another look back at the newcomers revealed thus far. This is a major part in how they're expanding their audience. Since they have limited development time (due to the Wii U's sales being lackluster), they're trying to expand the Smash audience by quickly adding these characters from lesser-prominent franchises (which might very well include the remaining characters from the Sal Romano/Gematsu leak). Obviously, they do have some newcomers from certain prominent Nintendo franchises or are fan-favorites (Greninja, Little Mac, et. al.). This only suggests further that they are trying to expand the audience, since Smash 4 currently haves more newcomers from lesser-prominent franchises than it does more-prominent franchises. The remaining characters from the Sal Romano/Gematsu leak also further suggest this. Again, I'm not arguing this leak's credibility, I'm arguing what it suggests in the sense of marketing, and what we know from E3.

In the end, Sakurai isn't catering towards the fans per se, at least at this moment. Why? Well, they probably aren't worried about us. They know we'll probably get the game already, so they don't need to immediately extend our interest by adding the fan-favorite characters. This is where the post-launch character DLC comes into play. Once the game is released, they could easily focus on the more popular characters for the DLC.

Amendment #1: Look, the main reason why I brought up DLC in the marketing perspective is their current developmental status. It has been proven that the demo was made after the direct (by looking at Samus' final smashes in each version). The demo however has many bugs (some pointed out in this thread). Some bugs are game-breaking, to the point of crashing. The characters in the demo seem to randomly generate different kill power with the same moves (no matter how "stale" the move became [yes, I'm well aware Smash has a stale-move-ratio system, but this randomness has been proven to be beyond that]).

** The demo was made before the direct, given the lack of expressions on the characters. This is a good sign, but we really cannot know for sure either way until we have more information. It'd be nice to know exactly where they are in development, as that'd grant us a clearer perspective on the possibility of DLC. This is important to know though, as it could explain the lack of technical options while fighting in the demo. The only question remaining, is when did they create the demo version? In my opinion, it's rather odd to hold onto a demo version for E3 (on the year of the game's release) that is inferior to the build they currently have. I can understand if it's to withhold information (such as characters) that they do not want revealed yet. To me though, having this demo version held at E3 just felt like a weak representation for Smash, at least in retrospect. When I think of E3, I think about showcasing your best. But that's just me.

It is known that the developers behind Smash 4 are not only debugging current content, but they're inevitably adding newer content as we speak. They'll have to debug said new content after implementation. Development is an arduous process, and with half-a-year away from the Wii U version's release, I worry about its solidity. I have faith that the team can make an excellent game, but I must repeatedly cite Brawl's many delays as evidence to the possibility of DLC.

Brawl was delayed for a lot of time, probably to polish out many of its mechanics (as well as probably adding Wolf, as it has been proven that he was the last addition to Brawl's roster). The Wii's sales were EXCELLENT, which is probably why Brawl had the luxury of being delayed. It was allotted more time to become a solid title upon release, making no need for DLC.

This time around, the Wii U is suffering, and it's obvious Nintendo is trying to find ways to increase its sales. Smash is a great game to help them achieve this. However, I have a feeling the team is being pushed to their limits to produce as much as they can before whatever deadline they have, for I fear Smash 4 cannot be delayed. Otherwise, the investors might end up pulling their shares from right underneath Nintendo. Remember these gaming industries are businesses (I'm not trying to antagonize businesses either, I'm just pointing it out as it is), and there are politics revolving business. They're pushing to market the 3DS version (which is why there is so much more content currently known for it than the Wii U version, as it makes the 3DS version look currently more desirable), whose release date is controlled by the Wii U version (else they could delay the 3DS version and suffer lower sales, because the more anticipated version [Wii U] would be out before).

I'll reiterate in hopes of clarifying: The Wii U's sales are suffering, so they're pushing to finish the Wii U version quickly. The 3DS version cannot be sold after the Wii U one because more people anticipate the Wii U version (and in hindsight less people would buy the 3DS version if they did this). Besides, having the 3DS version out before puts pressure on Smash fans around the world because they'll want the Smash experience without waiting for the version most people probably anticipate (the Wii U version).

Hence, development could be limited, especially when compared to Brawl's delays. I am worried for this game, if they're not planning on the definite possibility of DLC, and that includes characters.

For fun, here's another hypothetical situation: What if they released the major-franchise newcomers first, and kept the lackluster characters for DLC? If Pac-Man wasn't debated through the leak (and was to be included as a DLC character), I think less people might be driven to buy him. In other words, keep the more wanted characters for the DLC so more people would buy them. Marketing.

Any other thoughts, feel free to add and discuss. I will be open to feedback, as this is a picture I wish to paint with the help of others. I aim to help people find a better understanding of a possibility behind Nintendo's motive as well as their actions.

Last edited:

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
With the Japan release date being before the US release date, having DLC characters that you can download at the release of the US game could keep a few characters secret, still.

That would also add hype for the US release.

Then, with the Wii U version coming out later, have another DLC character that comes with the release of that.

Again, more hype for the game.

I don't think they will do that, but I think it would be a solid idea if they chose to go that route.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I've written something similar to this before. Nintendo has been actively using Smash Bros. as a marketing tool the entire time. Look at the timed revealings or Olimar, Luigi, Toon Link, Zelda, King Dedede, Sonic, Diddy Kong, and even Villager and Wii Fit Trainer to some extent. They knew from the start they had to appeal to the biggest fanbase from the start and include popular characters from games they want to sell well. This is why I believe the Gematsu leak and Shulk seems incredibly likely this go around, where I wouldn't have thought so for previous games.

Day one Ridley DLC for the Wii U version. Can you imagine the craziness that would ensue if they showed that after the 3DS version is released and we supposedly already know the roster? To top that off, make it free with a copy of the Wii U version. Sh** storm.

Didn't Nintendo say something about how they are "still looking" at characters? It's super late in the game for that. Anyone have a link to it?

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
But that's Mario Golf. This is Super Smash Brothers.
You're right, but it's impossible to know exactly what Nintendo is doing/planning to do. I merely pointed out a possibility.

A major point in this possibility is the development time they're giving themselves for the game. Sakurai repeatedly stresses that the game is WIP. At this rate, I worry for Smash 4's development (seeing the many bugs from the demo, which has been proven that it is a build made after the direct [by looking at Samus' final smashes]), if it's not to have DLC. It's probably going to be pretty lackluster or buggy if there's nothing planned post-launch.

And yes, those who lack internet will not be able to receive bug-patching updates, if Nintendo plans this.

DLC is too touchy a subject for a thread, I guess.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
With Sakurai making that statement about how hard it is for him to cut characters, I could see us getting some of those as DLC. This is especially with Nintendo trying as of late to change their strategy with internet/DLC. So maybe not Ridley.. How about a Day 1 Mewtwo/Roy pack? Maybe with a Lucas or a Squirtle thrown in. That fits in with him still making the game for the wider audience he wants but recognizing the fans, as well.

And yes, those who lack internet will not be able to receive bug-patching updates, if Nintendo plans this.
While I understand thinking this way.. were at a day and age where everyone and their mother (literally) is carrying around a tiny piece of technology that can access the internet anywhere at any time. If you can't access the internet, you're in the minority now.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
With Sakurai making that statement about how hard it is for him to cut characters, I could see us getting some of those as DLC. This is especially with Nintendo trying as of late to change their strategy with internet/DLC. So maybe not Ridley.. How about a Day 1 Mewtwo/Roy pack? Maybe with a Lucas or a Squirtle thrown in.
A veteran pack consisting of Mewtwo, Roy, Squirtle and Lucas sounds like something most would go for. Throw in one retro stage from Brawl and one from Melee and I would be glad to drop around 10-15 dollars on it.

Last edited:

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Why so much DLC speculation? You guys act like you want DLC, which is baffling.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Why so much DLC speculation? You guys act like you want DLC, which is baffling.
Because if we had DLC as an option in Brawl, we would probably be playing as Toon Zelda, Dixie, Roy, and Mewtwo in Brawl today. DLC, if used to supplement an already complete game, is not a bad thing.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
A veteran pack consisting of Mewtwo, Roy, Squirtle and Lucas sounds like something most would go for. Throw in one retro stage from Brawl and one from Melee and I would be glad to drop around 10-15 dollars on it.
Ivysaur or bust.
y no one like Ivysaur? Stupid mainstream preferences.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I thought Sakurai mentioned in an interview once that he's going to try to make the game into a full experience as much as possible, by adding all content in the base game with no need for DLC.

The source comes from IGN, which I don't really like, but here you go anyways.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Look, the main reason why I brought up DLC in the marketing perspective is their current developmental status. It has been proven that the demo was made after the direct (by looking at Samus' final smashes in each version). The demo however has many bugs (some pointed out in this thread). Some bugs are game-breaking, to the point of crashing. The characters in the demo seem to randomly generate different kill power with the same moves (no matter how "stale" the move became [yes, I'm well aware Smash has a stale-move-ratio system, but this randomness has been proven to be beyond that]).

It is known that the developers behind Smash 4 are not only debugging current content, but they're inevitably adding newer content as we speak. They'll have to debug said new content after implementation. Development is an arduous process, and with half-a-year away from the Wii U version's release, I worry about its solidity. I have faith that the team can make an excellent game, but I must repeatedly cite Brawl's many delays as evidence to the possibility of DLC.

Brawl was delayed for a lot of time, probably to polish out many of its mechanics (as well as probably adding Wolf, as it has been proven that he was the last addition to Brawl's roster). The Wii's sales were EXCELLENT, which is probably why Brawl had the luxury of being delayed. It was allotted more time to become a solid title upon release, making no need for DLC.

This time around, the Wii U is suffering, and it's obvious Nintendo is trying to find ways to increase its sales. Smash is a great game to help them achieve this. However, I have a feeling the team is being pushed to their limits to produce as much as they can before whatever deadline they have, for I fear Smash 4 cannot be delayed. Otherwise, the investors might end up pulling their shares from right underneath Nintendo. Remember these gaming industries are businesses (I'm not trying to antagonize businesses either, I'm just pointing it out as it is), and there are politics revolving business. They're pushing to market the 3DS version (which is why there is so much more content currently known for it than the Wii U version, as it makes the 3DS version look currently more desirable), whose release date is controlled by the Wii U version (else they could delay the 3DS version and suffer lower sales, because the more anticipated version [Wii U] will be out before).

I'll reiterate in hopes of clarifying: The Wii U's sales are suffering, so they're pushing to finish the Wii U version quickly. The 3DS version cannot be sold after the Wii U one because more people anticipate the Wii U version (and in hindsight less people would buy the 3DS version if they did this). Besides, having the 3DS version out before puts pressure on Smash fans around the world because they'll want the Smash experience without waiting for the version most people probably anticipate (the Wii U version).

Hence, development will be limited, especially when compared to Brawl's delays. I worry for this game, if they're not planning on the definite possibility of DLC, and that includes characters.

As for marketing DLC, here's a hypothetical situation: What if they released the major-franchise newcomers first, and kept the lackluster characters for DLC? If Pac-Man wasn't debated through the leak, I think a lot less people would be driven to buy him. In other words, keep the more wanted characters for the DLC so more people would buy them. Marketing.

EDIT: Amending this to the OP, so that others can see.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If they were hurrying the game it couldve been out in a year like Melee. They are taking there time on this one implementing many new features that can't be found in any other game.
Also the game has already been delayed, they'll keep delaying it until its finished. Nintendo never rushes their games (except Melee but that games still god-tier top quality)
Sakurai was forced onto the project and you can tell that he feels that if they're gonna force him to make a game, then they're gonna have to deal with his demands to achieve perfection, even if it means delaying the game and massively inflating the budget for more amazing character introductions.

I really hope there is DLC in the future besides amiibos.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
If they were hurrying the game it couldve been out in a year like Melee. They are taking there time on this one implementing many new features that can't be found in any other game.
Also the game has already been delayed, they'll keep delaying it until its finished. Nintendo never rushes their games (except Melee but that games still god-tier top quality)
Sakurai was forced onto the project and you can tell that he feels that if they're gonna force him to make a game, then they're gonna have to deal with his demands to achieve perfection, even if it means delaying the game and massively inflating the budget for more amazing character introductions.

I really hope there is DLC in the future besides amiibos.
How has the game already been delayed? All I know is that the 3DS version was planned for a summer release, and is now getting a fall one. That isn't a large time frame. This game's official development started after Kid Icarus: Uprising's release. Sakurai stressed this, and that game was released in 2012.

EDIT: This game is going to be running on a more sophisticated engine than Melee was (not saying it's going to be a better game, or anything like that), and thus its development presents different challenges. Same could be said for Brawl, and that game was delayed many times.

Last edited:

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Here's the thing: It IS coming in the summer... in Japan.

The other thing is that while the demo has a better final Smash on Samus compared to the direct, you quickly forget that both the demo AND the direct were probably made ahead of time. Making a stable enough demo requires some planning and making a good offshoot point, something I don't feel could have been made in just two months, not to mention several treehouse reps claimed different builds. We're dealing with a buggy mess, but I don't see much to worry about (and seeing it buggy has also meant the pushed back 3DS date hasn't annoyed me).

That being said, I see your point about DLC. I'm just not sure we're going to see it in any rapid fashion.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
DLC characters simply won't happen because most of Nintendo's consumers haven't even connected to the internet.
I believe you can't use a wiiu out of the box with a game until it has updated via the internet and nintendo has been trying out DLC recently (Mario Golf, Steel Diver, Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Animal Crossing, New Super Luigi Bros U., etc.), so it is possible.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
You can use a Wii U without the update, but the only thing you can do is play games on it.
Really? Cause I recall I couldn't last december since it makes you create a miiverse account off the bat and it the servers were down.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I believe you can't use a wiiu out of the box with a game until it has updated via the internet and nintendo has been trying out DLC recently (Mario Golf, Steel Diver, Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Animal Crossing, New Super Luigi Bros U., etc.), so it is possible.
Original Wii Us can't play Wii games or make use of other features without an update, but you need the internet to use most of those features anyway. Newer Wii Us have more recent firmware.

And just a nitpick, Animal Crossing doesn't have DLC in the traditional sense. Just freebie items.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Original Wii Us can't play Wii games or make use of other features without an update, but you need the internet to use most of those features anyway. Newer Wii Us have more recent firmware.

And just a nitpick, Animal Crossing doesn't have DLC in the traditional sense. Just freebie items.
Well, yeah, free DLC but it was one of the first games they released regular DLC for and implemented the Nintendo Zone thing into. Hmm... Okay well maybe I just got an older Wii U or something. It was a bit of a pain I recall.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I have a feeling that even when the game releases, they'll still be developing the game for future DLC packs.

I get the impression that Sakurai and his team are hurrying through development so that they can produce a game that would help the Wii U's sales.

Remember how Brawl was delayed multiple times? Perhaps they were able to delay Brawl's release because sales of the original Wii weren't in dire straights (the Wii U is suffering, in comparison). This allowed them to spend more time debugging many aspects of Brawl. Brawl took a long time to debug. I don't feel there's enough time from the demo of Smash 4 to its planned release to debug it fully and add more planned content.

As for the 3DS version, they can't delay its release either, even if the 3DS is doing okay with its sales. That would be horrible marketing. I feel that they're releasing the 3DS version before the Wii U to provoke the consumer into buying both versions; I would expect the average consumer to think, by the time the 3DS version releases, "hey, I want the Smash experience, but I don't want to wait", so they'll end up buying the 3DS version before the Wii U version is released. Point being, I have a feeling Nintendo knows that most fans regularly anticipate the Wii U version more than the 3DS version. Why do you think they're pushing so much content for the 3DS version and not the Wii U one? Just check out the official Smash Brothers website! The Wii U section doesn't even exist yet! It feels like they're really trying to pressure us into buying both. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy both, however. I'm just saying that we should try to look at answering Nintendo's antics from a marketing perspective, since in the end Nintendo is a business.

During the Round-table Q & A session with Sakurai, someone asked him about the large gap of release dates between both versions. Sakurai answered that the team needs to focus debugging one version before the other, and that debugging is generally a long process. Sakurai was probably telling a partial truth. They do need to focus on debugging, however Brawl's many long delays prove that there is simply too much debugging to be done in this short amount of time. Not to mention, they're still adding extra content to the games. Once those are completed, they have the process of debugging them as well!

Hear me out on the following, because it's potentially a very important keystone in further explaining Nintendo's possible marketing strategies. The Sal Romano/Gematsu leak. Now before you have any chances of jumping the gun, I have no intention of arguing the leaker/tipster's credibility in this thread (You can take that to The Official Sal Romano/Gematsu leak). Anyways, just an hour before the Digital Event Sal Romano himself posted here in the Smashboards regarding another e-mail he received. He even confirmed this was him on his blog, Gematsu. The most interesting post included in the e-mail was that "Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy."

Now lets take a small step back, after letting that sink in. Let's take a look at the newcomers revealed thus far. Are you underwhelmed? Are you anxious about Nintendo not including newcomers from their more major/prominent franchises? These are legitimate feelings to have, since Nintendo executives have not been clear of their purpose. Their lack of clarity has roused chaos in the fanbase. However, they cannot be clear about the current flaws/bugs and developmental strategies they have planned, because that might make them look weak in front of their investors and competitors. Even in the gaming industry, there are politics and business, no matter how overlooked they might be in the forums or elsewhere by fans. Instead we are left to infer, and that's the purpose of this thread.

During the Roundtable Q & A session with Sakurai, he was explaining how he viewed Smash as a party game, and that he and his team were trying to find ways in expanding the Smash audience. Take another look back at the newcomers revealed thus far. This is a major part in how they're expanding their audience. Since they have limited development time (due to the Wii U's sales being lackluster), they're trying to expand the Smash audience by quickly adding these characters from lesser-prominent franchises (which might very well include the remaining characters from the Sal Romano/Gematsu leak). Obviously, they do have some newcomers from certain prominent Nintendo franchises or are fan-favorites (Greninja, Little Mac, et. al.). This only suggests further that they are trying to expand the audience, since Smash 4 currently haves more newcomers from lesser-prominent franchises than it does more-prominent franchises. The remaining characters from the Sal Romano/Gematsu leak also further suggest this. Again, I'm not arguing this leaks credibility, I'm arguing what it suggests in the sense of marketing, and what we know from E3.

In the end, Sakurai isn't catering towards the fans per se, at least at this moment. Why? Well, they probably aren't worried about us. They know we'll probably get the game already, so they don't need to extend our interest by adding the fan-favorite characters. This is where the post-launch character DLC comes into play. Once the game is released, they could easily focus on the more popular characters for the DLC.

Amendment #1: Look, the main reason why I brought up DLC in the marketing perspective is their current developmental status. It has been proven that the demo was made after the direct (by looking at Samus' final smashes in each version). The demo however has many bugs (some pointed out in this thread). Some bugs are game-breaking, to the point of crashing. The characters in the demo seem to randomly generate different kill power with the same moves (no matter how "stale" the move became [yes, I'm well aware Smash has a stale-move-ratio system, but this randomness has been proven to be beyond that]).

This time around, the Wii U is suffering, and it's obvious Nintendo is trying to find ways to increase its sales. Smash is a great game to help them achieve this. However, I have a feeling the team is being pushed to their limits to produce as much as they can before whatever deadline they have, for I fear Smash 4 cannot be delayed. Otherwise, the investors might end up pulling their shares from right underneath Nintendo. Remember these gaming industries are businesses (I'm not trying to antagonize businesses either, I'm just pointing it out as it is), and there are politics revolving business. They're pushing to market the 3DS version (which is why there is so much more content currently known for it than the Wii U version, as it makes the 3DS version look currently more desirable), whose release date is controlled by the Wii U version (else they could delay the 3DS version and suffer lower sales, because the more anticipated version [Wii U] will be out before).

Hence, development will be limited, especially when compared to Brawl's delays. I worry for this game, if they're not planning on the definite possibility of DLC, and that includes characters.

For fun, here's another hypothetical situation: What if they released the major-franchise newcomers first, and kept the lackluster characters for DLC? If Pac-Man wasn't debated through the leak, I think a lot less people would be driven to buy him. In other words, keep the more wanted characters for the DLC so more people would buy them. Marketing.

Hope this renews spirits and restores vigor to the support of your most anticipated characters/content. Have faith in Sakurai, and be glad we're in 2014 and not 1990 (otherwise Nintendo would be screwed without the option of DLC, in the marketing sense).

Any other thoughts, feel free to add and discuss.
It all makes sense to me! No one was getting hyped about a Rhythem Heaven character before the leak, and there isn't that much hype about it even now, with it being all but confirmed. But, if they put characters like Ridley or Mewtwo as DLC shortly after the WiiU release, I'm sure they're going to make a ton of microtransactions. I know I'd buy that stuff without so much of a second thought, speaking for myself. You can talk about principles and high philosophy all you want, but if I have to pay six dollars more (or what have you) for Mewtwo in Smash 4, so be it. He's my favorite. I'd do that. Nintendo knows people will buy their crazy fan characters and I don't blame them for wanting to please the fans and make a buck.

Like the OP said, this game looks like it will have a massive amount of content, and that takes lots of manpower to produce at a high quality. I can get a smidge salty about them not picking Character A from the get-go, sure. But if they release Character A after release? So long as it's not a lot of money ($10 is too much for one character, for me), I'm suddenly grateful!

I could see this playing out like this quite easily, though I'd much rather have my fav Mewtwo from the start... But I don't want another Mewtwo-less Brawl situation, either.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I don't know why people are saying that the Smash games are being rushed. They seem to be going along fine to me. Also, where is this proof that the demo was made after the Smash Direct?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't know why people are saying that the Smash games are being rushed. They seem to be going along fine to me. Also, where is this proof that the demo was made after the Smash Direct?
Actually, the evidence suggests the exact opposite, the demo was made on a build from BEFORE the Smash Direct. Based on what others have said, Mega Man has a better expression in his Final Smash, but in the demo version, Mega Man just has a blank expression in his Final Smash, implying that its from an earlier build before the expressions were added in. (That doesn't mean the demo was made before the Smash Bros. Direct, just that its a build from before the Smash Bros. Direct.)

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Actually, the evidence suggests the exact opposite, the demo was made on a build from BEFORE the Smash Direct. Based on what others have said, Mega Man has a better expression in his Final Smash, but in the demo version, Mega Man just has a blank expression in his Final Smash, implying that its from an earlier build before the expressions were added in. (That doesn't mean the demo was made before the Smash Bros. Direct, just that its a build from before the Smash Bros. Direct.)
I must have not hung around that thread long enough. I'll change that in the OP, as it makes sense.

While it does alleviate some of my fears of the initial release's quality, we have much to see before we can definitively know wither way. Hoping for the best (which is why this thread is mostly hypothetical).

I'm just interested in seeing if the marketing perspective can provide viable reasons for the way Sakurai is revealing things in Smash.

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
I am not too comfortable with dlc but nintendo did it well in fe:awakening (supposedly).

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I am not too comfortable with dlc but nintendo did it well in fe:awakening (supposedly).
Well, this is what they did; you decide if it's done well or not:

DLC missions were released in groups of three. You could buy them individually for something like $2 - $3, or as a 3-pack for a little over $6 or thereabouts, saving you about $2 or so. Aposthesis, the final map with the hardest difficulty, is a special case, being off on it's own and costing about $2.50.

There are many of these mission packs. Some are story-driven, for people who want to see their characters from the main game continue to have adventures. Some are fanservice-driven, for people who want to see their characters being cute and flirting with other characters (or something). Some are puzzle-driven, providing a unique challenge that must be completed under tight circumstances. Some are nostalgia-driven, allowing you to fight a representation of every army from every previous Fire Emblem game ever made (you can also recruit any of those units you want)! Finally, a lot of these missions come with unique prizes for completing them, such as powerful skills, powerful classes, tons of gold, experience, and rare weapons, etc.

So, to buy most of these, you're going to spend maybe $40? But you're getting a lot for your money. It pretty much doubles the amount of game content and gives you all kinds of goodies.

And it's not like the main game of Awakening is half-done or anything. It's plenty long enough with 4 different difficulty levels and lots to accomplish with lots of replay value, due to the infinite reclassing you can do on characters, and different marriages you can do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom