• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Or, hell, look at Final Fantasy XV. An open-world, action-based, driving game with a plot that was universally despised. And now they're adding multiplayer to it.

Sure, it hits more mainstream popularity, and gets more sales. So what? It's not Final Fantasy anymore.

Ask the Pikmin fans or Chibi Robo fans or Paper Mario fans how much you can change a franchise before it stops being the same anymore. Maybe the new direction is more popular. But if that popularity comes at the soul of what made the game what it was, then to hell with it.

Turn based RPGs are rare enough as it is (despite still being fantastic, as games like Bravely Default and Persona 5 show).

I'd rather the series just die than it stop being Golden Sun.
A lot of people liked Final Fantasy XV's plot.

It isn't universally disposed at all.

That said, for every Chibi Robo Zip Lash, you get a Breath of the Wild. Reinventing things can be incredible sometimes.

D

Deleted member

Got me a Japanese Ogon no Taiyo set of game (with Japanese GBA box) & strategy guide last week.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't see a Golden Sun reinvention happening. Maybe they'd move the game from turn based to active battle system but other than that I don't think it will.

It would be nice if the game would go back between The Lost Age and Dark Dawn, though. There was so much time lost between those 2 where nothing happened. I at least wanted something to happen.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't see a Golden Sun reinvention happening. Maybe they'd move the game from turn based to active battle system but other than that I don't think it will.

It would be nice if the game would go back between The Lost Age and Dark Dawn, though. There was so much time lost between those 2 where nothing happened. I at least wanted something to happen.
Yeah I even thought of a game like that as well. A game that covers the massive amount of time between TLA and DD showing what was going on in Weyard in the 30 years. IDK what the plot point would be but I like the idea. Anything to let me play as the old cast again.

Then again though I think we should be a lot more concerned in getting the fourth entry in to the series and finally getting the end to Isaac's story.

Knowing Camelot though the game will most likely end right before we have the chance to fight Alex. :smirk:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I thought of a "Golden Sun 2.5" once, where Susa was the main character. The other three party members were Feizhi, Aaron, and Megan. Much like Isaac and Felix, Susa is a warrior whom can wield many weapons. Unlike Ivan and Sheba, whom were quick but fragile, Feizhi is a sturdy heavy-hitter--and like Sveta, uses hand-to-hand combat. And unlike his older brother, Garet, Aaron is a mage-based Mars Adept. Lastly, Megan is very similar to her mentor, Mia.

I never really expanded upon the story, but in a nutshell: as the Wise One predicted, the restoration of Alchemy sparked nasty ambition in many people, and eventually a greater evil arises that only Susa is capable of defeating.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder if Camelot is working on a Switch game right now. Considering the 3DS is slowly fading out and the fact they finally made an HD game in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash I would say they have to be. Still, it's noticable that a lot of the sports games got mashed into one with the Mario Sports All-stars game. Maybe they're trying to push out the individual games for more "all in one" games?

It COULD be Golden Sun, but I'll admit I think that's unlikely. Still, if ever there was a perfect console to release a new Golden Sun in it would be the Switch, in my opinion.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wonder if Camelot is working on a Switch game right now. Considering the 3DS is slowly fading out and the fact they finally made an HD game in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash I would say they have to be. Still, it's noticable that a lot of the sports games got mashed into one with the Mario Sports All-stars game. Maybe they're trying to push out the individual games for more "all in one" games?

It COULD be Golden Sun, but I'll admit I think that's unlikely. Still, if ever there was a perfect console to release a new Golden Sun in it would be the Switch, in my opinion.
They probably are. All of Nintendo's partners and subsidiaries are heading that way. And we can't go too long without Mario & friends heading to the tennis court or golf course, we might remember Camelot used to do other stuff. :p

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The creators did say that they imagined Golden Sun as sort of a prequel for the events to come, setting up the world and such, so I'd much rather go forward than back (especially since I STILL want Isaac's story to actually be resolved).

I am really not wanting to see turn based battles go away, though. You'd think after Bravely Default and Persona 5, people would stop exclaiming the doom of turn based RPGs at every opportunity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A remake would ensure a new system from Camelot to work with however. Am totally not opposed to it in any sort of way. Golden Sun needs it's exposure and a remake is a quick fix, and quite less of a gamble. If it's a huge success financially, they could continue.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Not to say it has to be Golden Sun (though I'd love that) but I'd love to see an older franchise that's gone by the wayside get another game revealed in tomorrows direct. F-Zero, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Eternal Darkness etc.

Seems unlikely but then nobody saw Metroid Prime 4 coming either. So I at least have a little hope that they could blindside us yet again.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Not to say it has to be Golden Sun (though I'd love that) but I'd love to see an older franchise that's gone by the wayside get another game revealed in tomorrows direct. F-Zero, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Eternal Darkness etc.

Seems unlikely but then nobody saw Metroid Prime 4 coming either. So I at least have a little hope that they could blindside us yet again.
Well, we saw Mario + Rabbids rear it's head and I got me Puyo Puyo x Tetris localized... I tell you, Nintendo Switch has strange kind of magic to it. We can only see if it breaks through the heavens and reaches the sun.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

IMO, all of those games sans MAYBE F-Zero are very unlikely.

And that's heartbreaking for me to say given 2 of those series are among my favorite Nintendo franchises let alone gaming in general.
Well, we saw Mario + Rabbids rear it's head and I got me Puyo Puyo x Tetris localized... I tell you, Nintendo Switch has strange kind of magic to it. We can only see if it breaks through the heavens and reaches the sun.

Gonna need a lot of magic to get that done.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At this point it might be a cute idea to have Golden Sun at the next Nintendo handheld. That seems better fit than the Switch. Not even big franchises like Pokemon and Fire Emblem have proper console titles on their name. The most notable I'd say are Pokemon Collosseum and XD. For Fire Emblem, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Golden Sun has little chance to get a Switch RPG game than those Nintendo franchises.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It's been about two years since I bought Golden Sun on Wii U, but I never played past the first part.

I think I should get back on it when I go home for Christmas Break.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Gonna need a lot of magic to get that done.
That's what they said about Switch having consistent quality first-party delivery for this whole year and already beyond, a new proper Bomberman, Metroid Prime 4, + if a new Metroid-installment at all, highly expansive 3rd party support, no region locking... and once more, Puyo Puyo getting actually localized in full English, compared to whatever tried to replace Puyo Puyo Chronicles overseas, Cranky Food Friends...

Eh, I'm bit being tested here in means of staying pessimistic towards Switch after those feats. :4bowserjr:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's what they said about Switch having consistent quality first-party delivery for this whole year and already beyond, a new proper Bomberman, Metroid Prime 4, + if a new Metroid-installment at all, highly expansive 3rd party support, no region locking... and once more, Puyo Puyo getting actually localized in full English, compared to whatever tried to replace Puyo Puyo Chronicles overseas, Cranky Food Friends...

Eh, I'm bit being tested here in means of staying pessimistic towards Switch after those feats. :4bowserjr:
Well we did know beforehand that the reason why the Switch was released in March of this year rather than the holiday season of last year was because Nintendo wanted a steady stream of first party games (and third party ones I guess) to be available on the system so that came to no surprise.

I'm just saying that just because Metroid came back doesn't mean it's anymore likelier that Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Custom Robo, or whatever will be revived. Metroid is still a semi-large Nintendo franchise and it had huge fan support for it's return. The only thing that comes close to the support Metroid has is F-Zero and that doesn't have a great chance of coming back. Granted I do think we'll see F-Zero on the Switch at some point though not in the near future.

What I think Golden Sun and all the other dormant Nintendo franchises that people want revived can benefit from doing is having a similar backing that Metroid had. As in a large, organized campaign to have said series revived like what Operation Rainfall was to Xenoblade Chronicles. Not a petition or some bogus like that because those are always useless. I mean a solid backing of fans who continuously demand (not threaten mind you lol) the return of said series whether by E-Mailing Nintendo directly or just getting the series more attention in general.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's been about two years since I bought Golden Sun on Wii U, but I never played past the first part.

I think I should get back on it when I go home for Christmas Break.
To some the initial part is a bit of a slog given that its laden with dialogue, but once you get past that it moves more briskly.

At this point it might be a cute idea to have Golden Sun at the next Nintendo handheld. That seems better fit than the Switch. Not even big franchises like Pokemon and Fire Emblem have proper console titles on their name. The most notable I'd say are Pokemon Collosseum and XD. For Fire Emblem, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Golden Sun has little chance to get a Switch RPG game than those Nintendo franchises.
Despite what Nintendo says I'm not convinced we will see a future handheld dedicated console. Apart from perhaps some "Switch lite" kinda deal which retails for cheaper but is a pure portable. I believe those plans were a contingency for if the Switch underperformed.

Having said that, I'm also unsure as to the odds of Nintendo investing in a Switch-scale GS, which is unfortunate.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To some the initial part is a bit of a slog given that its laden with dialogue, but once you get past that it moves more briskly.

Despite what Nintendo says I'm not convinced we will see a future handheld dedicated console. Apart from perhaps some "Switch lite" kinda deal which retails for cheaper but is a pure portable. I believe those plans were a contingency for if the Switch underperformed.

Having said that, I'm also unsure as to the odds of Nintendo investing in a Switch-scale GS, which is unfortunate.
*Remembers the scene with Babi towards the end of The Broken Seal.*

It was 3AM when I was playing the game and I was almost yelling at Babi to shut up.

EDIT: Here it is. It's the scene after you finish the events in Colosso.

And what's even worse is that he has another scene shortly after this where he keeps going on about the Black Orb.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've been struck by the urge to play through GS1 again... I hope it's not too forever before the GBA comes to Switch...

*Remembers the scene with Babi towards the end of The Broken Seal.*

It was 3AM when I was playing the game and I was almost yelling at Babi to shut up.

EDIT: Here it is. It's the scene after you finish the events in Colosso.

And what's even worse is that he has another scene shortly after this where he keeps going on about the Black Orb.
Well sure the beginning isn't the only bit with a good deal of babbling but it stands to reason that you're probably invested enough in the game to stomach some of the later game moments. Either that or you don't have a problem with the rather pedantic exposition and such. Whereas at the beginning I can see why for some it might be more of a deterrent.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've been struck by the urge to play through GS1 again... I hope it's not too forever before the GBA comes to Switch...
Same. I'm going to be replaying The Broken Seal sometime soon.

I have both TBS and TLA on my Wii U.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Same. I'm going to be replaying The Broken Seal sometime soon.

I have both TBS and TLA on my Wii U.
As do I... but my Wii U is in someone else's house, disconnected, in another country. And who knows where the hell my GBA is. So I play the waiting game. :|

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As do I... but my Wii U is in someone else's house, disconnected, in another country. And who knows where the hell my GBA is. So I play the waiting game. :|
Or you can always emulate the game.

Personally I love playing GS on my Wii U. I know a lot of people don't like the fact the GBA games are on the Wii U instead of the 3DS but I like it much better. I'm a guy that plays games at home only for the most part.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ah, support threads. Glad to be back to this point of speculation.

Anyway, I, as always, support Isaac.

(Plus, I've always wanted to see Kragg from Rivals of Aether's recovery in an actual Smash game, haha.)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still care for Isaac. Hoping he gets in this time.
Plus, Motoi Sakuraba has some amazing music that should be heard.
And not many things could make me happier than battling on top off the Venus Lighthouse.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kind reminder that emulation isn't illegal if you purchased the original game(s).

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I'd totally support Issac's intro to Smash. Even more so if one of his alt skins would be a Garret. Just make him a clone version of Issac, like Alph is to Olimar or the Koopalings to Bower Jr.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd totally support Issac's intro to Smash. Even more so if one of his alt skins would be a Garret. Just make him a clone version of Issac, like Alph is to Olimar or the Koopalings to Bower Jr.
Garet? That's a cute way of saying Felix or Matthew.

Anyway good to have new people popping up still. Makes me realise that Golden Sun is fondly remembered by a lot of people still.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I always envisioned Felix being a semi-clone of Isaac if he were ever in Smash (and assuming Isaac's in Smash as well).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kind reminder that emulation isn't illegal if you purchased the original game(s).
That is actually false.

Its a case where the emulated copy would be a different copy of the same game.

Legally, it's the same thing as someone owning a copy of Golden Sun then stealing another person's on top of it.

So yeah, don't do that on a legal basis.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That is actually false.

Its a case where the emulated copy would be a different copy of the same game.

Legally, it's the same thing as someone owning a copy of Golden Sun then stealing another person's on top of it.

So yeah, don't do that on a legal basis.
YEAH SO WHAT!?

I downloaded Dark Dawn now anyway! Was a real damn hassle finding a working rom, but now I can FINALLY enjoy Dark Dawn which I hoped to do for like... 7 years or so?

Also, this might finally give me some sort of closure in my life... I NEED THAT, OKAY!?

Please understand

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
User was warned for this post
I'm not even sure how to respond to that.
Something good and encouraging, as; GOOD FOR YOU!

And...?

I dunno, I just wanted to bump the Isaac thread with something sort of relevant. Always was one of the few Isaac supporters who never got to play Dark Dawn. Mainly cause my DS broke like, a few weeks before it's release.

BUT NOW I'M PIRATING IT!

:D

Got warned for this but consider this..... No physical copies of the game are still being made, Camelot would receive abosolutely ZERO from me buying a physical copy of the game.... So, I feel like I'm not so bad a guy for this. Okay thanks for listening...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I haven't played Dark Dawn either believe it or not.

DD runs like poop on an emulator and is hardly playable. I saw used copies of the game running for about 50 bucks on Amazon and decided it wasn't worth it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I haven't played Dark Dawn either believe it or not.

DD runs like poop on an emulator and is hardly playable. I saw used copies of the game running for about 50 bucks on Amazon and decided it wasn't worth it.
Doesn't really run poopy here. Or at least, not that I really notice. It's pretty damn fluid even.

And you know what's worse? From those 50 bucks, absolutely 0 cents go towards Camelot and their development team. That way, even IF I bought a physical copy, it wouldn't lead to the "support" Camelot needed for a sequel to Dark Dawn.

Brb... I gotta find out why exactly Dark Dawn's ending was hailed far and wide as bad.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Did you guys read about this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...l_nintendo_ips_are_bound_for_switch_next_year

It's pretty vague but it does sound like 2018 could be a really interesting year for the Switch.

and obviously it's made me think about a new Golden Sun game.
Despite the concerns, I'm sure 2018 will have a steady stream of Nintendo titles for the Switch, and it's nice to hear Nintendo is truly committed to new IPs going forward. That should, hopefully, help alleviate the rather sparse remaining selection of big names that aren't already on the roster. Assuming, of course, the new IPs can find success.

Though I'm still skeptical of getting a new Golden Sun, especially next year, but never say never. I wonder when we're going to learn of Camelot's next project. I'd like to believe that Superstars game didn't require the entirety of Camelot behind it given the iterative nature of their contribution.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Did you guys read about this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...l_nintendo_ips_are_bound_for_switch_next_year

It's pretty vague but it does sound like 2018 could be a really interesting year for the Switch.

and obviously it's made me think about a new Golden Sun game.
I interpret that as meaning the Switch will have new IP's that people aren't expecting akin to Splatoon and ARMS.

The optimist in me wants to believe the return of dormant IP's we all love like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and F-Zero but i'm inclined to think the former.
Doesn't really run poopy here. Or at least, not that I really notice. It's pretty damn fluid even.

And you know what's worse? From those 50 bucks, absolutely 0 cents go towards Camelot and their development team. That way, even IF I bought a physical copy, it wouldn't lead to the "support" Camelot needed for a sequel to Dark Dawn.

Brb... I gotta find out why exactly Dark Dawn's ending was hailed far and wide as bad.
Yeah. Which is funny because I see a lot of PS2 games running on Amazon for like 10-30 dollars at the most where as Dark Dawn and some other DS games are commanding 50 something dollars.

From what I know it was a cliffhanger ending. I think sort of like what happened at the end of The Broken Seal only more egregious because at least with GS1 we knew a sequel was going to happen almost immediately after. With Dark Dawn the status of the series is completely unknown and is showing no signs of returning which begs the question of why the devs thought it would be a good idea to have a cliffhanger ending. It's almost the same thing with Megaman Legends 2.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I interpret that as meaning the Switch will have new IP's that people aren't expecting akin to Splatoon and ARMS.

The optimist in me wants to believe the return of dormant IP's we all love like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and F-Zero but i'm inclined to think the former.
That was my thought as well. New IPs, not old ones.

From what I know it was a cliffhanger ending. I think sort of like what happened at the end of The Broken Seal only more egregious because at least with GS1 we knew a sequel was going to happen almost immediately after. With Dark Dawn the status of the series is completely unknown and is showing no signs of returning which begs the question of why the devs thought it would be a good idea to have a cliffhanger ending. It's almost the same thing with Megaman Legends 2.
That was one of a couple problems with the storyline. It really was not a great ending. None of the ending from The Lost Age got fixed, and you basically wind up back exactly where you started Dark Dawn at when it's over. Yes, you solved this big threat, but the entire journey was just a setup for something much bigger. Which, in itself wouldn't be bad, except they TELL you that it's just setup right from the start. You know you're going on a fetch quest in preparation for a big adventure, and the game ends right when that big adventure would begin. It robs the story of a lot of its weight, unfortunately.[/quote]

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also think a lot of Dark Dawn's story doesn't make much sense compared to the first two games. Lot's of plotholes, and I keep on asking just where all these towns and ancient civilisations come from. 30 years after The Lost Age and the Golden Sun bringing Alchemy back to Weyard are not really satisfying answers to me. It began GREAT with the Goma Plateu and Isaac's directly explaining a lot, but leave Goma Plateu and I don't recognise anything... Dark Dawn made a lot of curious choices in regard to story-line.

Also, I really like Tyrell actually. He's hilarious. I don't think he's an exact copy of Garet either. He's real strong early on because of all the Mars Djinni you find, and he's got great Psynergy. Karis is the one who cannot compare to Ivan. Matthew is just a happy-go-lucky Isaac, which is cool, and he learns Growth.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I also think a lot of Dark Dawn's story doesn't make much sense compared to the first two games. Lot's of plotholes, and I keep on asking just where all these towns and ancient civilisations come from. 30 years after The Lost Age and the Golden Sun bringing Alchemy back to Weyard are not really satisfying answers to me. It began GREAT with the Goma Plateu and Isaac's directly explaining a lot, but leave Goma Plateu and I don't recognise anything... Dark Dawn made a lot of curious choices in regard to story-line.

Also, I really like Tyrell actually. He's hilarious. I don't think he's an exact copy of Garet either. He's real strong early on because of all the Mars Djinni you find, and he's got great Psynergy. Karis is the one who cannot compare to Ivan. Matthew is just a happy-go-lucky Isaac, which is cool, and he learns Growth.
-Likes Tyrell
-Dislikes Karis

I think this is the first time I've heard this combination.

Karis is generally the most popular of the group besides Amiti and Sveta and for good reason.

Top Bottom