• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's ace pilots take flight! Time to Switch gears for the Ultimate Battle! Pilotwings for Smash Ultimate!

Which Pilot Wings character(s) would you like to see in Smash?

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Don't worry Smashkirby, I didn't make a moveset for one of the instructors so you're not misremembering things. I would love to see more non-Smash Nintendo crossover games. I've always wondered about an RPG or a sequel to Captain Rainbow would be a good idea and the Pilotwings cast could return as a nice bonus. :)
Ah, OK. I just didn't want to offend anyone, is all.:)

This said, it would be nice to see what Nintendo can do with non-Smash crossovers. An RPG actually would be an intersting idea and maybe the PW cast could appear via cameos or a character could actually appear in it. I'm also not opposed to the idea of a sequel to Captain Rainbow that the PW characters appear in!

I sure would like to be added to the support list, smashkirby!
And you're officially a 'High-Flying Hero', CannonStreak CannonStreak ! Congrats!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Man, with all of these Super Nintendo/Nintendo 64 leaks going around, I legit hope to see early stuff from Pilotwings and Pilotwings 64! Has there been anything yet?

D

Deleted member

Man, with all of these Super Nintendo/Nintendo 64 leaks going around, I legit hope to see early stuff from Pilotwings and Pilotwings 64! Has there been anything yet?
How about from pre-Pilotwings when it was called Dragonfly?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I remember looking up Pilotwings stuff and seeing the beta version called Dragonfly. I wonder why Nintendo wanted to make a Mode 7 game based on a Dragonfly before turning it to the Pilotwings we all know and love?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, my gosh! Thank you! Honestly... with all these leaks, I was wondering if Dragonfly was going to be a factor in any of them. Heck, I'm even surprised at how PW was apparently set to have bosses. Maybe that's where the concept of Mecha-Hawk being a boss in PW64 came from?

Really gives me hope that someone's found something regarding PW64! I have been wondering though... where/how did all these leaks come about? Like, I can barely keep up with all of this. Is there like a list of everything leaked so far?

I remember looking up Pilotwings stuff and seeing the beta version called Dragonfly. I wonder why Nintendo wanted to make a Mode 7 game based on a Dragonfly before turning it to the Pilotwings we all know and love?
Yeah, I do wonder where things changed from a 'dragonfly' to piloting flying vehicles...

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Here are some more old logos, as well as another early title for the game.
Can I just say how amazing it is that we're still finding stuff from these leaks? That said, I... feel like I've read somewhere else that Flight Club had been close to being the final title of the series...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Flight Club is admittedly a cool name, but Pilotwings has a nicer ring to it imo.

The Dragonfly concept makes me curious, I wish more had survived from that. The game we got in its stead was fantastic, of course, but the idea of playing as a dragonfly in a Mode 7-heavy SNES game sounds at the very least visually interesting.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I prefer the working title Dragonfly over Flight Club. Flight Club felt rather generic to me. But Pilotwings is the best title over them all. :) I do have to wonder what Dragonfly would have been like as a game and if the story and characters would have been different.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Flight Club is admittedly a cool name, but Pilotwings has a nicer ring to it imo.

The Dragonfly concept makes me curious, I wish more had survived from that. The game we got in its stead was fantastic, of course, but the idea of playing as a dragonfly in a Mode 7-heavy SNES game sounds at the very least visually interesting.
I prefer the working title Dragonfly over Flight Club. Flight Club felt rather generic to me. But Pilotwings is the best title over them all. :) I do have to wonder what Dragonfly would have been like as a game and if the story and characters would have been different.
Well, it looks like we're 3 for 3. I also feel like Dragonfly has more of a... 'hook' as a title for a game, as simple as it sounds. That said, I do feel like Nintendo definitely made a good call in coming up with the Pilotwings name.

Don't get me wrong, Flight Club isn't THAT bad (Heck, that's kind of like the PW series' main setting, if anything), but something about that name just feels... lacking, I guess.

Hmm... you know, I'm kind of wondering now... what would the Pilotwings stage in Smash Bros. be like if Nintendo went with the Dragonfly angle...

I can picture a future Pilotwings game having unlockable secret planes like a Boeing 747, the Wright Flyer, a UFO and a wyvern.
You know what's kind of sad? This right here would have pretty much been one of the hooks to Pilotwings for Nintendo GameCube (i.e. unlockable various flying vehicles for use), had things not fallen through with Factor-5.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I was searching for Pilotwings videos and I saw this interesting one on ideas for new Pilotwings games:

Gotta admit my favorite one is the WWII AU with Constance Liberty and Spot the heroic dog. Makes me think that a sapient cat instructor would have been a cool idea as well for it. (Heck, maybe Constance would have been an ancestor of Goose.;)) The first pitch makes me wonder if it would have been a better Wii Sports sky sports spin-off. The Pilotwings Battle Royale one is giving off ARMS vibes to me. I did notice that the guys thought no one dies in Nintendo games when we all know that's not true and that the host didn't like the idea of humanized Star Fox characters making a cameo. Which made me think "Why not use the Pilotwings Instructors or pilots from Pilotwings 64 for cameoes?" But still, all of the pitches were interesting, what do you guys think?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I never played Pilotwings 64, but I just found out that two of its characters, Hawk and Goose, were part of this retro battle card game themed around Nintendo All-Stars:
8EB44822-D116-4C47-8ED4-8CAB8E38E615.jpeg
1F7565F9-D617-4039-982F-340F01A88E7F.jpeg

Now I don’t know why they included a few 3rd parties like Goemon and Earthworm Jim, but it’s pretty cool seeing how such obscure Nintendo characters like those two were kinda considered all-stars back then. Sad how the tables turn over the years, but I guess if they ever join Ultimate as newcomers, they’d pretty much be forever immortalized, like Ness, Captain Falcon and the Ice Climbers, which is one thing I’ve always loved about the Smash Brothers series.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I never played Pilotwings 64, but I just found out that two of its characters, Hawk and Goose, were part of this retro battle card game themed around Nintendo All-Stars:View attachment 292386View attachment 292387
Now I don’t know why they included a few 3rd parties like Goemon and Earthworm Jim, but it’s pretty cool seeing how such obscure Nintendo characters like those two were kinda considered all-stars back then. Sad how the tables turn over the years, but I guess if they ever join Ultimate as newcomers, they’d pretty much be forever immortalized, like Ness, Captain Falcon and the Ice Climbers, which is one thing I’ve always loved about the Smash Brothers series.
Neat! I remember seeing Hawk and Goose's cards but not realizing that it was a part of a card game. I'd probably would bought it back then just to get their cards.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I'd love it, they made a great Punch-Out! game so I trust they would do well for a new Pilotwings game.
Speaking of Punch-Out!!, I’d love to see Nintendo and Next Level Games make a reboot of the SNES iteration of Punch-Out!!, called Super Punch-Out!!, which by the way, in case anybody’s interested, I made a petition for, although some of you may have already checked it out. I’m not sure. Anyway, here it is: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-and-next-level-games-make-a-switch-reboot-of-super-punch-out

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Here’s a thought: What if Next Level Games did a Pilotwings game?
I think that would be pretty fitting. Much like Retro Studios, Next Level Games seems to favor in working with IPs that seem more appealing to the west (Punch Out, Luigi’s Mansion, Metroid, etc.), so I guess it would be a really good opportunity to revive such an underrated franchise, introduce it to a new generation, and of course promote the idea of having one of its characters in Smash Brothers.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
After playing some of the NSO SNES version, Pilotwings has quickly become one of my all time favorite games. I'm not too familiar with the characters yet, but I'd love to see at least one of 'em in Smash.
Nice, what did you thought of the fact that the Flight Club actually fought against a villain in the Secret Command missions? I noticed some people who played the game today thought it was jarring for such a laid back flight sim to have them. But personally I thought it was awesome and gave it some well-done edge. :)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Nice, what did you thought of the fact that the Flight Club actually fought against a villain in the Secret Command missions? I noticed some people who played the game today thought it was jarring for such a laid back flight sim to have them. But personally I thought it was awesome and gave it some well-done edge. :)
Yeah I thought it was crazy. Pilotwings was kinda my comfort game, like, “damn that was a long day, at least Pilotwings got my back”. And then one day I get far enough to where now I have to do this kinda hard mission with guns and hostages and stuff. It’s jarring but I welcome it-game would’ve been a bit boring without it (still would love the game regardless).

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Well then, now that Nintendo acquired Next Level Games, maybe this does slightly enhance the small chances for a new Pilotwings game to be made (although I guess you could say the same about many of their dead IPs).
I don’t know, it probably depends more if Miyamoto wants to request them this specific project or not.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well then, now that Nintendo acquired Next Level Games, maybe this does slightly enhance the small chances for a new Pilotwings game to be made (although I guess you could say the same about many of their dead IPs).
I don’t know, it probably depends more if Miyamoto wants to request them this specific project or not.
It's funny, I've been thinking about NLG giving the likes of things like PW64's characters getting another shot at life, as well as characters like Mr. Stevenson and Mike Jones (Basically, Nintendo's more Western-oriented characters).

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
It's funny, I've been thinking about NLG giving the likes of things like PW64's characters getting another shot at life, as well as characters like Mr. Stevenson and Mike Jones (Basically, Nintendo's more Western-oriented characters).
Exactly! That’s what I have in mind as well. NGL already stated that they’re well known for bringing back dead Nintendo IPs, and it’s obvious that they choose the ones that appeal more to a western crowd so Pilotwings is definitely a no brainer.
Also since you brought it up, a Gumshoe revival would really kickass! Basically it could be like the 3D Mario games but with detective and shooting elements implemented as well. Damn, Nintendo really does like to sleep on potential, sad but true. Hopefully NLG can now step up and make a difference.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

After coming across this on SG, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post here.

Fun fact: I'm the first one to submit a Guest Article there!

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I got a question, why is Hawk so underrated here?
565AEAE1-3C80-4498-90DE-7DB75E3AE08C.jpeg

Haven’t played Pilotwings 64 yet, but I really dig the character’s unique design, plus he seems like the fellow that’d fit best in a fighting game, tbh.

1612393764297.gif

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Wanna put my two cents about Hawk here. He'd be a pretty good pick as the Pilotwings rep for Smash. Heck, if Mecha Hawk could get into Pilotwings Resort as a bonus, Nintendo could put his human counterpart into Smash. ;) (I still wonder why the person who made Mecha Hawk decided to base him on Hawk? Was it a coincidence? I remember reading on an old message board that Hawk created the robot himself but Mecha Hawk turned on his creator.)

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I’m just surprised to be the only one voting for him. Thought Hawk would be one of the best options for Smash coming from Pilotwings.

And about Mecha Hawk, I think having him as Hawk’s final Smash would be the real deal.View attachment 301932
I'd love to see Hawk transform into Mecha Hawk and throw boulders at the other fighters. It would be a fun and creative Final Smash for a Pilotwings character.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey guys Larry Bundy Jr. mentions the idea that Lark and Nester are one and the same in this video. Lark's segment starts at the 9:58 mark:

Gotta admit I was amused by Larry mentioning it and I honestly liked the idea ever since I read it on a now defunct message board on World of Nintendo back in 1997.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys Larry Bundy Jr. mentions the idea that Lark and Nester are one and the same in this video. Lark's segment starts at the 9:58 mark:

Gotta admit I was amused by Larry mentioning it and I honestly liked the idea ever since I read it on a now defunct message board on World of Nintendo back in 1997.
Wow! It's always nice to see PW64 get ANY sort of mention in this day and age!

Say, as long as I'm here... if Nintendo FINALLY added the N64 to the NSO, how likely do you all think PW64 would be for it? I just remembered that PW64 has NEVER gotten a Virtual Console release, so...

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Wow! It's always nice to see PW64 get ANY sort of mention in this day and age!

Say, as long as I'm here... if Nintendo FINALLY added the N64 to the NSO, how likely do you all think PW64 would be for it? I just remembered that PW64 has NEVER gotten a Virtual Console release, so...
60%

They added the original Pilotwings in the SNES one, and they aren’t new to adding obscure games to the NSO apps. But as you know, they usually like to forget this game exists, for some extremely weird reason.

Tbh I think it would make better justice if it were to be included in a hypothetical N64 Classic Mini, but of course that would be far more unlikely.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
60%

They added the original Pilotwings in the SNES one, and they aren’t new to adding obscure games to the NSO apps. But as you know, they usually like to forget this game exists, for some extremely weird reason.

Tbh I think it would make better justice if it were to be included in a hypothetical N64 Classic Mini, but of course that would be far more unlikely.
Seriously, I have to wonder what's going on at Nintendo in regards to this game. Like, it's the INTERQUEL game and probably has the most 'personality' out of all three games, yet Nintendo seems keen to not acknowledge its existence whenever they can. What's more, PW64 STILL has virtually NO reference made to it in SMASH BROS. of all things.

The crossover event that seems to guarantee that (at the very least), almost everything Nintendo's developed (and released) in Japan would make some sort of an appearance in. It seems to get treated almost as bad as (and I assure everyone here, I'm not trying to throw shade at these games) StarTropics and Gumshoe. Which is really odd as PW64 actually WAS released in Japan.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Seriously, I have to wonder what's going on at Nintendo in regards to this game. Like, it's the INTERQUEL game and probably has the most 'personality' out of all three games, yet Nintendo seems keen to not acknowledge its existence whenever they can. What's more, PW64 STILL has virtually NO reference made to it in SMASH BROS. of all things.

The crossover event that seems to guarantee that (at the very least), almost everything Nintendo's developed (and released) in Japan would make some sort of an appearance in. It seems to get treated almost as bad as (and I assure everyone here, I'm not trying to throw shade at these games) StarTropics and Gumshoe. Which is really odd as PW64 actually WAS released in Japan.
Hear hear, mate.
It’s even more insulting when they represent extremely obscure junk as spirits when StarTropics has a strong cult following and Gumshoe comes from the iconic NES Black Box series (and is the only Nintendo Zapper series with absolutely 0 reference).

I don’t know all that much about the Pilotwings series as a whole but watching some Pilotwings 64 footage I can say that it was undoubtedly a big step up from the SNES game, mostly for how much personality they gave it with its set of memorable and unique characters. It really is baffling and insulting that this entry in particular has 0 representation, specially when it came out in Japan like you said, considering Nintendo’s weird bias for its home country. And on top of that it was even the N64’s launch title along with Super Mario 64. It is certainly deserving of a character, at least imo.
I sure would love to see Hawk duking out with Captain Falcon and other old school Nintendo icons, but it seems some things are just too much to ask for, even tho they shouldn’t be.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Heck, the great thing about Pilotwings 64 is that the pilots are fully realized characters unlike the first games protagonist who we literally don't see until the ending. As someone who got into video games through PW 64 it surprises me that Nintendo hasn't at least reference this game through spirits, mii costumes, and music tracks. Heck, a Pilotwings 64 character such as Lark was top on my list of video game characters I wanted to see in Smash. So it's pretty frustrating to see it get ignored in Smash Ultimate.

Top Bottom