• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's ace pilots take flight! Time to Switch gears for the Ultimate Battle! Pilotwings for Smash Ultimate!

Which Pilot Wings character(s) would you like to see in Smash?

• Total voters

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I must be honest: I never played any Pilotwings game, but I'd still be interested in seeing someone hailing from this series because I think it would draw attention to the series again and maybe I'd get to play to one of these games.
Other than that, Lark is from Nintendo and I'm growing tired of third parties.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I must be honest: I never played any Pilotwings game, but I'd still be interested in seeing someone hailing from this series because I think it would draw attention to the series again and maybe I'd get to play to one of these games.
Other than that, Lark is from Nintendo and I'm growing tired of third parties.
Well, at least you're showing some kind of support for the idea of a Pilotwings character in Smash and that's all we can ask for. Funny thing, but Lark is also Nester (The mascot of Nintendo Power magazine).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wow, it's nice to see you still working on this! Not to mention the love you're giving Lark and Kiwi as well. Still, I've been meaning to ask everyone here... is there any way we could spread some Lark/Pilotwings for Smash awareness? I know Smash Ultimate probably won't be adding anyone from PW as a playable character, but I feel that we should try and do something...

In fact, I've been thinking about asking Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan about the Assist Alliance, but since PW's characters don't have much of presence in Smash already, I wouldn't know where we could start...
At the same time, we refuse to add new channels in the Alliance for a long time. We reached a point of adding too many channels, some that drifted too off topic and hardly talked about the character (Octoling) or were just inactive (Captain Syrup). So sorry, we just can't allow adding a channel, the next best thing is to just partner with a PIlotwings discord, IF that exists or if you may want to make one.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys! Been a while, huh? Do you all think someone from Pilotwings has a shot at being one of the additional DLC characters past the Fighter's Pass? I doubt it, but Sakurai has done some crazy stuff before...

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey, guys! Been a while, huh? Do you all think someone from Pilotwings has a shot at being one of the additional DLC characters past the Fighter's Pass? I doubt it, but Sakurai has done some crazy stuff before...
I hope so, if Pirahna Plant can get in then maybe Goose or one of the Instructors could get in. (Heck, Sakurai has already made me happy with the Fighter's Pass with Terry Bogard, so a Pilotwings character would make it even better. ;) )

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I hope so, if Pirahna Plant can get in then maybe Goose or one of the Instructors could get in. (Heck, Sakurai has already made me happy with the Fighter's Pass with Terry Bogard, so a Pilotwings character would make it even better. ;) )
I'm still leaning towards Lark being the playable PW rep, though I'm certainly not opposed to Goose or any of the instructors from the original PW game. Still, I feel as if we should do something raise awareness for a character from this series, but I don't know if anyone's into the idea.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'm still leaning towards Lark being the playable PW rep, though I'm certainly not opposed to Goose or any of the instructors from the original PW game. Still, I feel as if we should do something raise awareness for a character from this series, but I don't know if anyone's into the idea.
Lark would be a really cool choice too. :grin: Heck, he'd probably was at every Smash audition trying to get in and if he'd ever get into Ultimate I wonder if they'll make jokes about the fact that he may also be Nester from Nintendo Power.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Lark would be a really cool choice too. :grin: Heck, he'd probably was at every Smash audition trying to get in and if he'd ever get into Ultimate I wonder if they'll make jokes about the fact that he may also be Nester from Nintendo Power.
Honestly, I've been wondering if maybe I should make a Twitter for the cause, but I don't think I'd be able to attend to it often.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in! I’d love a character from Pilotwings to join Smash. With their own stage, that has music from the Pilotwings series, both originals and new remixes. Especially Pilotwings 64.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Count me in! I’d love a character from Pilotwings to join Smash. With their own stage, that has music from the Pilotwings series, both originals and new remixes. Especially Pilotwings 64.
Sorry for the wait! I was at school today.

Anyways, LoZ00 LoZ00 and ninjahmos ninjahmos ... You're officially honorary "High-Flying Heroes"! Congratulations!

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Wow, how did I not hear about THIS? Imagine this being a tropical storm of Nintendo memorabilia....
Nester has had enough being forgotten, now he’s gonna give everyone something to remember him by for good...

By unleashing a storm of power gloves and Nintendo merchandise on Howard!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Nester has had enough being forgotten, now he’s gonna give everyone something to remember him by for good...

By unleashing a storm of power gloves and Nintendo merchandise on Howard!
Don't forget copies of Nester's Funky Bowling AND Pilotwings 64! :)
If only... say, I've been meaning to ask, do you all think there's a chance of PW64 coming to the Switch via the Online Service?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this will happen, either that or Pilotwings 64 is in a N64 Mini alongside Banjo-Kazooie.
I know, right? Heck, it was one of two (three, depending on where you live in the world) launch titles for the N64. No way Nintendo could just skip it. Heck, out of the two (three) launch titles, it and Super Mario 64 were the only 1st-party games, I believe.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You all won't believe this, but...

Not that a Twitter poll means a whole lot, but it's nice to know that Pilotwings may be more notable as a Nintendo IP than we think. Heck, the person who ran this poll even used Lark (That's right, Lark. Not some mere render of a random plane like what the Smash Bros. games are currently using to rep the PW series, but LARK himself) as the character to represent Pilotwings on this poll.

Really, the only nitpick I have in regards to this is that Lark (alongside the rest of the PW64 cast) have ACTUAL artwork the person could have used on their poll rather a rip of Lark's model from the game itself.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

Not that a Twitter poll means a whole lot, but it's nice to know that Pilotwings may be more notable as a Nintendo IP than we think. Heck, the person who ran this poll even used Lark (That's right, Lark. Not some mere render of a random plane like what the Smash Bros. games are currently using to rep the PW series, but LARK himself) as the character to represent Pilotwings on this poll.

Really, the only nitpick I have in regards to this is that Lark (alongside the rest of the PW64 cast) have ACTUAL artwork the person could have used on their poll rather a rip of Lark's model from the game itself.
Me too. It's nice to know that Nintendo fans do care about Pilotwings and the poster realized it actually has characters. (Not to mention that some other series that I love are also among the top 30. :) )

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I'm here to show my support. Pilotwings 64 deservers a rerelease and anknowledgement in Smash just like StarTropics. NoJ is really unfair to R&D3 titles and this has to change sooner rather than later.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm here to show my support. Pilotwings 64 deserves a re-release and acknowledgement in Smash just like StarTropics. NoJ is really unfair to R&D3 titles and this has to change sooner rather than later.
smash puffle smash puffle ... You're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero"! Congratulations!

Sorry I'm doing this late. I had school stuff to deal with. Still though, I very much agree with you that PW64 getting snubbed out of Smash is really unfair, and VERY weird, considering its historical importance as one of the two Nintendo 64 launch titles, and despite its performance in Japan, it's definitely a well-loved game with a memorable cast of spirit-ready characters. Why it's treated so poorly both in and outside of Smash is beyond me.

What really gets me with this particular game is the fact that it was released in Japan despite its clear deviance towards western audiences (I suppose that's mostly in its casting of Nester, who was renamed Lark for this game), and as such, I genuinely cannot see why Smash continues to disregard it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

That's actually pretty cool. I honestly believe that a new Pilotwings for Switch would be pretty amazing!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, High-Flying Heroes. I've been pretty busy with other things lately, so I didn't get a chance to post this on the day it was mentioned, but during Masahiro Sakurai's presentation of Terry Bogard in Smash Ultimate, he said something that I honestly have to admit put a colossal dumb grin on my face:

From the mouth of the man himself, ya'll. That being said, while PW may be a more or less niche series, you all can tell from my Lark moveset on the OP that a PW character would have a pretty unique moveset. Now if only Sakurai would see that too...

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

It may not be anything related to PW64, but it's still nice to see PW love from the man himself! Also, anyone notice how Lesson 3 here looks like... the Smash Bros. symbol?? Tinfoil hats on, everyone....
Yeah, it does kinda look like the Smash symbol, which makes me wish that it was a hint that Lance was going to become a Smash fighter. (Although I imagine after Lark and Kiwi got into Smash Bros the next character to get in would have been one of the Instructors in a way similar to Palutena.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, it does kinda look like the Smash symbol, which makes me wish that it was a hint that Lance was going to become a Smash fighter. (Although I imagine after Lark and Kiwi got into Smash Bros the next character to get in would have been one of the Instructors in a way similar to Palutena.)
If only, right?

By the way, I wanted to turn everyone's attention to something I came across a while ago. Which was this.

With all the talk I've been coming across in regards to series like Golden Sun and Nintendo Wars getting new trademarks around 2018 (Specifically, the former has a LOT lining up for it getting a new game, while the latter is rumored to be getting a mobile game), I wondered if this may mean something for Pilotwings getting a new game soon. I don't see a mobile game happening for it, so no gacha stuff (Thank goodness...).

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
If only, right?

By the way, I wanted to turn everyone's attention to something I came across a while ago. Which was this.

With all the talk I've been coming across in regards to series like Golden Sun and Nintendo Wars getting new trademarks around 2018 (Specifically, the former has a LOT lining up for it getting a new game, while the latter is rumored to be getting a mobile game), I wondered if this may mean something for Pilotwings getting a new game soon. I don't see a mobile game happening for it, so no gacha stuff (Thank goodness...).
Yeah, a Gacha game wouldn't fit Pilotwings, since there aren't that many characters in the series. However, I still hope there's another Pilotwings game set in the Pilotwings world for the Switch though.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, a Gacha game wouldn't fit Pilotwings, since there aren't that many characters in the series. However, I still hope there's another Pilotwings game set in the Pilotwings world for the Switch though.
Same here. Although, with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice hearing a supposed rumor that some dead Nintendo IPs will be getting revived, I can't help but hold out some hope for Pilotwings. Maybe a Switch game could work?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Same here. Although, with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice hearing a supposed rumor that some dead Nintendo IPs will be getting revived, I can't help but hold out some hope for Pilotwings. Maybe a Switch game could work?
I think a Switch game would be a good idea, I hope it would be set in the Pilotwings world and at least make a few references to past games. Although I love the idea of a spinoff game if we wanna see our favorite characters again. Maybe a shmup or an air racing game would be a good fit for Pilotwings.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think a Switch game would be a good idea, I hope it would be set in the Pilotwings world and at least make a few references to past games. Although I love the idea of a spinoff game if we wanna see our favorite characters again. Maybe a shmup or an air racing game would be a good fit for Pilotwings.
Yeah, I'm actually still holding for the latter. Seriously, Nintendo. Where's our Pilotwings Racing game?!

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
So which Nintendo series could you see Pilotwings crossing over with? My default is F-Zero with a scene Jack Levin making fun of Lance who overheard it and gave a snarky reply back. I also could see a Pilotwings/Kirby crossover with Kiwi and Bandana Dee interacting.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So which Nintendo series could you see Pilotwings crossing over with? My default is F-Zero with a scene Jack Levin making fun of Lance who overheard it and gave a snarky reply back. I also could see a Pilotwings/Kirby crossover with Kiwi and Bandana Dee interacting.
Interesting crossover ideas there! Do you have any more?

By the way, everyone. Can I ask you all something? If the next DLC character hailed from Pilotwings, what do you think about Nintendo using the guessing game on us again?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I made a little moveset for one of the characters from the original Pilotwings, Tony to be exact. I made the special moves and final smash for him. Here they are.

Tony

One of the instructors from the original Pilotwings game, Tony joins the fight in Smash Bros. Aside from the normal melee attacks, Tony uses parts of planes like wheels and swinging with small wings and throwing gliders at opponents, while also using vehicles that fly as well. His especial moves are...

B: Propeller Throw: Tony simply throws a plane propeller at his opponents, which can cause heavy damage.

B Side: Barrel Roll: Tony hops into a plane and does a barrel roll before jumping out of it, charging at opponents.

And no, Peppy from Star Fox is not here to say that line.

B Up: Helicopter Pack: Tony uses a helicopter pack to fly upwards, and the chopper is bigger than the one King K. Rool has on his helicopter pack.

B Down: Aviation Shooter: Tony uses an aviation shooter that can aim up and down. Not only does it shoot enemies, but hitting them also cause the gauge that is in Tony's icon at the bottom of the screen to fill up. Attacking also fills up the gauge, but using this move and hitting opponents fills it more. Even if no one is hit, the gauge fills up passively. This gauge can be used to enhance special moves, depending on how much of the gauge is full, which goes down when used.

Final Smash: Air Ride: Tony takes out his propeller and throws it straight at his opponents. If no one is hit, nothing happens, but if it does, the enemies are sent floating at the middle of the screen, as Tony flies a plane that can be controlled by the player. Tony must fly through the rings that appear in front of him during this Final Smash. If none are gone through, nothing happens. If any rings are gone through, the opponents will be damaged. Going through all rings will cause maximum damage. At the end, the opponents are sent flying, possibly off stage. The plane cannot be attacked by those that are not hit.

What do you think?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I made a little moveset for one of the characters from the original Pilotwings, Tony to be exact. I made the special moves and final smash for him. Here they are.

Tony

One of the instructors from the original Pilotwings game, Tony joins the fight in Smash Bros. Aside from the normal melee attacks, Tony uses parts of planes like wheels and swinging with small wings and throwing gliders at opponents, while also using vehicles that fly as well. His especial moves are...

B: Propeller Throw: Tony simply throws a plane propeller at his opponents, which can cause heavy damage.

B Side: Barrel Roll: Tony hops into a plane and does a barrel roll before jumping out of it, charging at opponents.

B Up: Helicopter Pack: Tony uses a helicopter pack to fly upwards, and the chopper is bigger than the one King K. Rool has on his helicopter pack.

B Down: Aviation Shooter: Tony uses an aviation shooter that can aim up and down. Not only does it shoot enemies, but hitting them also cause the gauge that is in Tony's icon at the bottom of the screen to fill up. Attacking also fills up the gauge, but using this move and hitting opponents fills it more. Even if no one is hit, the gauge fills up passively. This gauge can be used to enhance special moves, depending on how much of the gauge is full, which goes down when used.

Final Smash: Air Ride: Tony takes out his propeller and throws it straight at his opponents. If no one is hit, nothing happens, but if it does, the enemies are sent floating at the middle of the screen, as Tony flies a plane that can be controlled by the player. Tony must fly through the rings that appear in front of him during this Final Smash. If none are gone through, nothing happens. If any rings are gone through, the opponents will be damaged. Going through all rings will cause maximum damage. At the end, the opponents are sent flying, possibly off stage. The plane cannot be attacked by those that are not hit.

What do you think?
Tony is one of my favorite instructors so I'm always glad to see a moveset using him. Although I always imagined the SNES Pilotwings characters Final Smash using the helicopter and as it switches to a top down view like in the Secret Command missions as the player can shoot a barrage of missiles at their opponents. You still have a pretty imaginative moveset thought.

Heck, the idea of a helicopter pack would be a good vehicle for a Pilotwings game on the Switch. :)

What do you imagine Tony's victory poses would be?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

By the way, everyone. Can I ask you all something? If the next DLC character hailed from Pilotwings, what do you think about Nintendo using the guessing game on us again?
I rather doubt it'd happen again, seeing as every DLC reveal so far happened differently, just about.

Besides, how many casual players would know of 64?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tony is one of my favorite instructors so I'm always glad to see a moveset using him. Although I always imagined the SNES Pilotwings characters Final Smash using the helicopter and as it switches to a top down view like in the Secret Command missions as the player can shoot a barrage of missiles at their opponents. You still have a pretty imaginative moveset thought.

Heck, the idea of a helicopter pack would be a good vehicle for a Pilotwings game on the Switch. :)

What do you imagine Tony's victory poses would be?
Why thanks!

I haven't thought of any victory poses, though. I will have to think on that.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

I'd actually would have love to have a crossover where every single Nintendo aviation-based game such as Pilotwings, Star Fox, Sky Skipper and any others have a huge air race to see who is the best pilot in the Nintendo multiverse only to have to deal with the Nintendo villains teaming up to take them out.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Tony

What do you think?
Not bad! Not bad at all! Actually, I just realized that you might be the first person on this thread to ever make a moveset for a character from the very first Pilotwings game!

Unless I'm remembering that wrong, and lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper did one first. If so, I'm sorry. It's a been a while since I've checked on this thread, so I've kind of lost track.

I rather doubt it'd happen again, seeing as every DLC reveal so far happened differently, just about.

Besides, how many casual players would know of 64?
Honestly, with how obscure PW64 is, I feel like people would find it pretty funny (in an ironic way) that Nintendo would put in the effort like this, and at the same time, be pretty ticked off because of how obscure PW64 is...

I'd actually would have love to have a crossover where every single Nintendo aviation-based game such as Pilotwings, Star Fox, Sky Skipper and any others have a huge air race to see who is the best pilot in the Nintendo multiverse only to have to deal with the Nintendo villains teaming up to take them out.
It would be pretty neat to see another crossover game from Nintendo that isn't Smash Bros. and I have to say, the idea of it being an aviation racing game in the vein of Kirby Air Ride seems interesting.

By the way, as long as you're here SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor , would you like to be added to the support list?

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Not bad! Not bad at all! Actually, I just realized that you might be the first person on this thread to ever make a moveset for a character from the very first Pilotwings game!

Unless I'm remembering that wrong, and lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper did one first. If so, I'm sorry. It's a been a while since I've checked on this thread, so I've kind of lost track.

Honestly, with how obscure PW64 is, I feel like people would find it pretty funny (in an ironic way) that Nintendo would put in the effort like this, and at the same time, be pretty ticked off because of how obscure PW64 is...

It would be pretty neat to see another crossover game from Nintendo that isn't Smash Bros. and I have to say, the idea of it being an aviation racing game in the vein of Kirby Air Ride seems interesting.

By the way, as long as you're here SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor , would you like to be added to the support list?
Don't worry Smashkirby, I didn't make a moveset for one of the instructors so you're not misremembering things. I would love to see more non-Smash Nintendo crossover games. I've always wondered about an RPG or a sequel to Captain Rainbow would be a good idea and the Pilotwings cast could return as a nice bonus. :)

Top Bottom