• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's ace pilots take flight! Time to Switch gears for the Ultimate Battle! Pilotwings for Smash Ultimate!

Which Pilot Wings character(s) would you like to see in Smash?

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Heck yeah!
Well, solitonmedic solitonmedic ... You're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero"! Congratulations!

I'd like to think Lark himself is much more popular then Nester... His identity as Nester just adds to the value, I think.
Yeah, that seems about right.

I hope so! Heck even back in 1997 I found out Lark was actually Nester which made me interested in his comic series. (And let's be frank, the rest of the PW 64 crew would have probably ended up replacing Howard after he left Nintendo.) I even wrote to Nintendo by e-mail back then that the Pilotwings 64 characters should have more exposure. ;)
Well, that's pretty cool!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So... it doesn't look like any CHARACTERS from PW became Spirits, but a Plane got a Spirit. Just... what?

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
So... it doesn't look like any CHARACTERS from PW became Spirits, but a Plane got a Spirit. Just... what?
I'm not gonna lie, I took a peak when the dump first happened, and when I saw NO Pilotwings spirits besides the plane, I admit I felt bad for you most of all, mainly because I thought this would be your chance to have them back in action. Sorry dude, I know you've been wanting 64 representation since the Smash 4 days.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
As an Endless Ocean fan I feel you, we seem to have no Spirits as well. This stings, to bad these two franchises can’t get more attention.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm not gonna lie, I took a peak when the dump first happened, and when I saw NO Pilotwings spirits besides the plane, I admit I felt bad for you most of all, mainly because I thought this would be your chance to have them back in action. Sorry dude, I know you've been wanting 64 representation since the Smash 4 days.
As an Endless Ocean fan I feel you, we seem to have no Spirits as well. This stings, to bad these two franchises can’t get more attention.
*sigh* I mean, what are you going to do, right? I have to say that I'm pretty surprised that not even the SNES instructors got a Spirit. I GUESS I can understand the N64 playable characters, but the SNES cast? Really?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
*sigh* I mean, what are you going to do, right? I have to say that I'm pretty surprised that not even the SNES instructors got a Spirit. I GUESS I can understand the N64 playable characters, but the SNES cast? Really?
Yeah, the weird thing is that Nintendo knows these franchises exist but seemed to forget they have actual characters in them as well. I would have killed to see Lance or Tony as a spirit as well.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, the weird thing is that Nintendo knows these franchises exist but seemed to forget they have actual characters in them as well. I would have killed to see Lance or Tony as a spirit as well.
I know! Heck, the SNES original game and its N64 sequel were both released in Japan, so I sort of hoped that we'd at least get our feet in the door with how Spirits were as easy to make as they were.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey, lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper . Did you hear about Sakurai's newest Famitsu column?

It really makes me wonder if anyone there was aware of PW64's existence...

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/...re-details-about-smash-ultimates-development/
They might have but thought the most important part of the Pilotwings was the vehicles, or they thought there were way too many spirits and are saving them for later dlc. Now you've got me wondering if Nintendo is aware of Pilotwings 64's existence. (Then again Nintendo also forgot there were characters in the first game even though they were NPC instructors.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey, lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper . Did you hear about Sakurai's newest Famitsu column?

It really makes me wonder if anyone there was aware of PW64's existence...

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/...re-details-about-smash-ultimates-development/
They did research for all those characters, yet none of the paint-based Kirby characters are spirits except for Elline. This seems very conspicuous to me, considering that even Gryll is a spirit.

At any rate, at least Pilotwings has a stage, so that's something in case any Pilotwings pilot somehow gets considered in the future.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like to see Lark from Pilotwings 64 as a Mii Gunner costume if he doesn’t get in as a playable fighter.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
They did research for all those characters, yet none of the paint-based Kirby characters are spirits except for Elline. This seems very conspicuous to me, considering that even Gryll is a spirit.

At any rate, at least Pilotwings has a stage, so that's something in case any Pilotwings pilot somehow gets considered in the future.
Personally for me I'm more grateful for the awesome Light Plane remixes since in my opinion I had never liked the SNES Pilotwings music except for the Hang Glider and the opening bit that became its leitmotif which led me to download the SSB4 one on my music player. So at least we got some awesome music from the series.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
They might have but thought the most important part of the Pilotwings was the vehicles, or they thought there were way too many spirits and are saving them for later dlc. Now you've got me wondering if Nintendo is aware of Pilotwings 64's existence. (Then again, Nintendo also forgot there were characters in the first game even though they were NPC instructors.)
Well, I can't say I totally blame them on thinking that the vehicles play a bigger part in Pilotwings' gameplay, but it kind of bugs me that a plane from P.W. Resort was literally the only Pilotwings-related Spirit in the game. I mean, at least the cast of PW64 had enough variety in its roster that I would think those guys would be just a bit more than a passing thought. Maybe you're right and Nintendo really is saving some Spirits as DLC, but something about this still feels a tad... insulting.

Heck, Tony, Shirley, Lance, and Big Al weren't even Spirits, and I imagined if the PW64 cast didn't get any Spirits, the SNES cast would have gotten some at the very least.

Honestly, I really would like to ask SOMEONE at Nintendo (Sakurai included) if they're aware of PW64's existence at this point.

BTW, lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper were you the one who suggested a Pilotwings for Smash twitter?

Personally for me, I'm more grateful for the awesome Light Plane remixes since in my opinion I had never liked the SNES Pilotwings music except for the Hang Glider and the opening bit that became its leitmotif which led me to download the SSB4 one on my music player. So at least we got some awesome music from the series.
Yeah, I'm still quite surprised at the lack of Adeleine and Paint Roller spirits (the latter of whom is a Sakurai-created Kirby character, no less!), and when you consider how GRYLL of all characters is a Spirit, I can't help but wonder if the team researching Spirits went a little TOO far into the Japanese side of things, without looking into the Western side of Nintendo's history.

In fact... ACTUAL Pilotwings characters aside, there's STILL no StarTropics or Gumshoe representation (or any Western representation whatsoever) in Smash...

All of this being said, I AM certainly glad that we even have a Pilotwings stage (even if there's still no PW64 representation on that stage...), and who knows? Maybe we won't be too far away from a playable character after all?

I would like to see Lark from Pilotwings 64 as a Mii Gunner costume if he doesn’t get in as a playable fighter.
Hey, that's pretty neat! Um, if you don't mind me asking though... what do you see a Lark Mii Gunner using as a... well... gun? I only ask because I personally can't think of anything off the top of my head, so I've just envisioned him (as well as any other PW character, for that matter) being a Mii Brawler.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey, that's pretty neat! Um, if you don't mind me asking though... what do you see a Lark Mii Gunner using as a... well... gun? I only ask because I personally can't think of anything off the top of my head, so I've just envisioned him (as well as any other PW character, for that matter) being a Mii Brawler
A gun that looks like a Pilotwings plane.

Why not? We have an item that looks like a submarine (Steel Diver).

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Well, I can't say I totally blame them on thinking that the vehicles play a bigger part in Pilotwings' gameplay, but it kind of bugs me that a plane from P.W. Resort was literally the only Pilotwings-related Spirit in the game. I mean, at least the cast of PW64 had enough variety in its roster that I would think those guys would be just a bit more than a passing thought. Maybe you're right and Nintendo really is saving some Spirits as DLC, but something about this still feels a tad... insulting.

Heck, Tony, Shirley, Lance, and Big Al weren't even Spirits, and I imagined if the PW64 cast didn't get any Spirits, the SNES cast would have gotten some at the very least.

Honestly, I really would like to ask SOMEONE at Nintendo (Sakurai included) if they're aware of PW64's existence at this point.

BTW, lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper were you the one who suggested a Pilotwings for Smash twitter?

Yeah, I'm still quite surprised at the lack of Adeleine and Paint Roller spirits (the latter of whom is a Sakurai-created Kirby character, no less!), and when you consider how GRYLL of all characters is a Spirit, I can't help but wonder if the team researching Spirits went a little TOO far into the Japanese side of things, without looking into the Western side of Nintendo's history.

In fact... ACTUAL Pilotwings characters aside, there's STILL no StarTropics or Gumshoe representation (or any Western representation whatsoever) in Smash...

All of this being said, I AM certainly glad that we even have a Pilotwings stage (even if there's still no PW64 representation on that stage...), and who knows? Maybe we won't be too far away from a playable character after all?

Hey, that's pretty neat! Um, if you don't mind me asking though... what do you see a Lark Mii Gunner using as a... well... gun? I only ask because I personally can't think of anything off the top of my head, so I've just envisioned him (as well as any other PW character, for that matter) being a Mii Brawler.
I don't remember doing a Pilotwings for Smash on Twitter. But that's a pretty good idea, I did suggest to a friend on Discord that we could do a Pilotwings version of Golden Sunday.

You're right that Adeleine, Paint Roller, Mike Jones, and Mr. Stevenson should have gotten some representation. Heck, if Little Mac and Pit, who were more popular in America could get into Smash, surely Mike and Mr. Stevenson could too.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A gun that looks like a Pilotwings plane.

Why not? We have an item that looks like a submarine (Steel Diver).
Huh, not a bad idea! You have a point that Smash already has a gun item shaped liked a submarine, so a plane wouldn't be THAT odd. Heck, PW64 even has the Gyrocopter as a usable vehicle which fired missiles, so...

I don't remember doing a Pilotwings for Smash on Twitter. But that's a pretty good idea, I did suggest to a friend on Discord that we could do a Pilotwings version of Golden Sunday.
Oh, no. I didn't mean that you MADE a 'Pilotwings for Smash' Twitter. I meant that I THINK it was you (or maybe someone else) that suggested the idea of making one after I announced the unfortunate news that not a single ACTUAL character from the Pilotwings games appeared in Smash Ultimate as a Spirit.

That being said, is, uh... is ANYONE here open to making one...?

You're right that Adeleine, Paint Roller, Mike Jones, and Mr. Stevenson should have gotten some representation. Heck, if Little Mac and Pit, who were more popular in America could get into Smash, surely Mike and Mr. Stevenson could too.
Yeah, considering how this is the 'Ultimate Smash game', I really thought the folks supposedly in charge of researching what Spirits would be in the game would REALLY dig deep into Nintendo's library, and include characters that were REALLY obscure (i.e. any ACTUAL Pilotwings characters) or simply Western-exclusive (i.e. Mike Jones or Mr. Stevenson). I know it sounds weird, but the Spirits feel a little... I don't know, empty without characters like them appearing as Spirits, at the very least.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. So... there's... a little something I've been working on, and I guess I just wanted to show it off here. Tell me what you think, I guess? Um... but no flaming, please?

Lark: High-Flying Hero and... Nintendo fanboy...?

Considering the fact that Lark (from Pilotwings 64) is really Nester (of Nintendo Power magazine fame), 2 of his matches will be against his NES idols (Mario and Link) and 4 others are against characters he cosplayed as/actually met during his stint of adventures in Nintendo Power magazine's 'Howard and Nester' and 'Nester's Adventures' comics (Simon, Pit, Mega Man, Captain Falcon).

Match 1: :ultpit: (following Lark (Nester) cosplaying as him in the 'Nester's Adventures' comic strip that promoted the at-the-time upcoming Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters for Game Boy.) Battle takes place on Skyworld.
Match 2: :ultmegaman: (Lark (Nester) cosplays as him a multitude of times in each of his comic series to promote various Mega Man games from the NES. Namely Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3.) Battle takes place on Wily Castle.
Match 3: : :ultsimon: (Lark (Nester) cosplayed as him in a 'Howard and Nester' comic strip that promoted Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.) Takes place on Omega form-Dracula's Castle.
Match 4: :ultfalcon: (Lark (Nester) cosplayed as him in a 'Nester's Adventures' comic strip that promoted F-Zero's upcoming debut on the Super Nintendo.) Takes place on Big Blue.
Match 5: :ultlink:* (Lark (Nester) is noted to be an especially HUGE fan of the LoZ games (the original LoZ is said to be the first Nintendo game he ever played), and also cosplays as Link a multitude of times in each of his comic series to promote various 'Legend of Zelda games.) Battle takes place on N64 Hyrule Castle.
*As a special note, Link will be wearing his 'Classic Link' outfit.
Match 6: :ultmario:* & :ultluigi:* (As with TLoZ, Lark (Nester) is noted to be a HUGE fan of the Mario games, and he wouldn't pass up the chance to meet Mr. Nintendo himself) Battle takes place on Wrecking Crew .
*As a special note, Mario and Luigi will be wearing their 'Builder Mario' and Pink Luigi (which is based on the latter's sprite from Wrecking Crew) outfits, respectively.

Boss: Lark (Nester) ends up taking on a mini-gauntlet of characters who closely match up to his co-stars from Pilotwings 64 [:ultzelda: (Kiwi), :ultfalcon: (Goose), :ultzss: (Ibis), :ultsnake: (Hawk), :ultpeach: (Hooter/Robin)] and caps off with a boss battle against Dracula (In reference to the Castlevania comic).[/QUOTE]

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey, guys. So... there's... a little something I've been working on, and I guess I just wanted to show it off here. Tell me what you think, I guess? Um... but no flaming, please?

Lark: High-Flying Hero and... Nintendo fanboy...?

Considering the fact that Lark (from Pilotwings 64) is really Nester (of Nintendo Power magazine fame), 2 of his matches will be against his NES idols (Mario and Link) and 4 others are against characters he cosplayed as/actually met during his stint of adventures in Nintendo Power magazine's 'Howard and Nester' and 'Nester's Adventures' comics (Simon, Pit, Mega Man, Captain Falcon).

Match 1: :ultpit: (following Lark (Nester) cosplaying as him in the 'Nester's Adventures' comic strip that promoted the at-the-time upcoming Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters for Game Boy.) Battle takes place on Skyworld.
Match 2: :ultmegaman: (Lark (Nester) cosplays as him a multitude of times in each of his comic series to promote various Mega Man games from the NES. Namely Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3.) Battle takes place on Wily Castle.
Match 3: : :ultsimon: (Lark (Nester) cosplayed as him in a 'Howard and Nester' comic strip that promoted Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.) Takes place on Omega form-Dracula's Castle.
Match 4: :ultfalcon: (Lark (Nester) cosplayed as him in a 'Nester's Adventures' comic strip that promoted F-Zero's upcoming debut on the Super Nintendo.) Takes place on Big Blue.
Match 5: :ultlink:* (Lark (Nester) is noted to be an especially HUGE fan of the LoZ games (the original LoZ is said to be the first Nintendo game he ever played), and also cosplays as Link a multitude of times in each of his comic series to promote various 'Legend of Zelda games.) Battle takes place on N64 Hyrule Castle.
*As a special note, Link will be wearing his 'Classic Link' outfit.
Match 6: :ultmario:* & :ultluigi:* (As with TLoZ, Lark (Nester) is noted to be a HUGE fan of the Mario games, and he wouldn't pass up the chance to meet Mr. Nintendo himself) Battle takes place on Wrecking Crew .
*As a special note, Mario and Luigi will be wearing their 'Builder Mario' and Pink Luigi (which is based on the latter's sprite from Wrecking Crew) outfits, respectively.

Boss: Lark (Nester) ends up taking on a mini-gauntlet of characters who closely match up to his co-stars from Pilotwings 64 [:ultzelda: (Kiwi), :ultfalcon: (Goose), :ultzss: (Ibis), :ultsnake: (Hawk), :ultpeach: (Hooter/Robin)] and caps off with a boss battle against Dracula (In reference to the Castlevania comic).
[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty good gauntlet for Lark, Smashkirby. I also think Ibis would be pretty flattered to be compared to Samus. (I always imagined her to be cocky and bold myself.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That's a pretty good gauntlet for Lark, Smashkirby. I also think Ibis would be pretty flattered to be compared to Samus. (I always imagined her to be cocky and bold myself.)[/QUOTE]

Aww, thanks! I'll be honest, I really equated Ibis to Zero Suit Samus because they're both young ladies with rather tall frames and (AFAIK) rather defined legs. Although, Nintendo HAS confirmed Ibis to be very bold and somewhat cocky, so...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. Me and PigmaskColonel PigmaskColonel got to talking a while ago about the current state of Smash Bros. and how the representation of Nintendo's more 'Western-oriented' IPs has been rather lacking, to the point of having little to no presence (bar the obligatory mention in Brawl's Chronicle), and he said something that sort of struck a chord with me, making me ponder just why there's virtually no reference to PW64 in either Smash 4 or Smash Ultimate.

I share your grievances with Pilotwings 64. It's yet another game from the minds at R&D3 that has been suspiciously absent from Smash for no particular reason, but what really gets me with this particular game is the fact that, unlike the other examples discussed in this thread, it was released in Japan despite its clear deviance towards western audiences (mostly in its casting of Nester), and as such, I genuinely cannot see why Smash continues to disregard it unless there truly is some sort of stigma with R&D3. It definitely raises some questions about the relationship between Genyo Takeda and Nintendo's management back in the day, since for all we know, these creative conflicts could be part of the reason why R&D3's career as a game developer was cut so short (in fact, Pilotwings 64 was their final game).

I admit perhaps this all sounds a little conspiracy-like, but looking at the development team's history and how quickly they shifted from game development despite the creative prowess displayed in the StarTropics & Punch-Out series, it's not out of the question that Nintendo may have been unhappy with Takeda's dedication to the western market and wanted to put it to an end. There might be negative connotations with games like StarTropics as a result.

Of course, there are also other, more optimistic ways you could approach this; Nintendo has been very kind towards the Punch-Out series in the years since R&D3's game developing days came to end, as we saw with Next Level Games's ambitious reboot on the Wii, and subsequently its inclusion in Smash 4. Perhaps the biggest Smash-related takeaway is Little Mac's appearance as an Assist Trophy in Brawl, since, at that time, Punch-Out hadn't yet gotten the Japanese exposure it would later see in the Wii reboot and was nearly on a StarTropics plane of obscurity (for those who don't know, all Punch-Out games only saw extremely limited release in Japan and didn't have even a fraction of the popularity they did stateside). The fact that it still got an Assist Trophy despite that is very reassuring.

So, assuming in this scenario that there ISN'T an anti-Takeda/western complex at Nintendo, I can only think that the reason why so many western-exclusive or western-tailored first party games are neglected in Smash is just a combined lack of interest and research. We already know that said research and resources were often pulled from unofficial online sources -- I've done a lot of overseas digging regarding StarTropics, and every Nintendo-related Wikipedia discography I've ever found makes ZERO mention of either game, even on biographies of Genyo Takeda himself. Aside from the shoddy article dedicated to the first game (there is none on Zoda's Revenge last time I checked) which would take some major digging to find, StarTropics might as well not exist to easterners. That the "spirit team" on Ultimate let the game slip by them is not surprising, assuming NOA wasn't involved in spirit research.

Pilotwings 64 still baffles me, though. It definitely has historical importance as one of the two Nintendo 64 launch titles, and despite its underwhelming performance in Japan, it's definitely a well-loved game with a memorable cast of spirit-ready characters. Why it's treated so poorly both in and outside of Smash is beyond me.
As I told him, I took his thoughts into consideration here, as it really does baffle me how PW64 has virtually NO representation in Smash. Not even in regards to Spirits, for that matter. I mean, StarTropics and Gumshoe? Them I understand (due to being Western-exclusive games), but PW64? Something just isn't adding up here.

I've even always pointed out how PW64 was actually released in Japan, and while I can't imagine sales were THAT great, I can't see the 'Spirit team' totally overlooking that game as a whole (Despite the fact that it's the only game in the series with defined playable characters, whereas the original SNES game had an unnamed trainee as the protagonist, and Miis were who you played as in Pilotwings Resort).

So what do you all think? Is there some Western stigma going on at Nintendo?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey, guys. Me and PigmaskColonel PigmaskColonel got to talking a while ago about the current state of Smash Bros. and how the representation of Nintendo's more 'Western-oriented' IPs has been rather lacking, to the point of having little to no presence (bar the obligatory mention in Brawl's Chronicle), and he said something that sort of struck a chord with me, making me ponder just why there's virtually no reference to PW64 in either Smash 4 or Smash Ultimate.

As I told him, I took his thoughts into consideration here, as it really does baffle me how PW64 has virtually NO representation in Smash. Not even in regards to Spirits, for that matter. I mean, StarTropics and Gumshoe? Them I understand (due to being Western-exclusive games), but PW64? Something just isn't adding up here.

I've even always pointed out how PW64 was actually released in Japan, and while I can't imagine sales were THAT great, I can't see the 'Spirit team' totally overlooking that game as a whole (Despite the fact that it's the only game in the series with defined playable characters, whereas the original SNES game had an unnamed trainee as the protagonist, and Miis were who you played as in Pilotwings Resort).

So what do you all think? Is there some Western stigma going on at Nintendo?
I'm still scratching my head at that too. Heck, even the instructors from the first Pilotwings never show up as spirits, even though Lance's training area is a part of the stage and the Light Plane music is from the SNES game. Pilotwings 64 has it somewhat worse by having NO representation at all, not even Mecha Hawk. It could be possible that the development team didn't do their research as well as having a bias against western-oriented games.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm still scratching my head at that too. Heck, even the instructors from the first Pilotwings never show up as spirits, even though Lance's training area is a part of the stage and the Light Plane music is from the SNES game. Pilotwings 64 has it somewhat worse by having NO representation at all, not even Mecha Hawk. It could be possible that the development team didn't do their research as well as having a bias against western-oriented games.
Honestly, the instructors from the original PW for SNES not appearing as Spirits baffles me even more than PW64's cast not being here, as Nintendo seems to hold the game in even higher regard than its N64 sequel. It really does look like the 'Spirit team' didn't do as much research as I hoped they would...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I've been wondering... do you all think that PW64 will come to the Switch Online Service (in the event of N64 games being a thing on there)? The Switch does seem to have the install base that game might need...

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've been wondering... do you all think that PW64 will come to the Switch Online Service (in the event of N64 games being a thing on there)? The Switch does seem to have the install base that game might need...
I really, really hope so. I would love to replay PW 64 as it was both nostalgic and got me to become a Nintendo fan. (Hope that also means the PW 64 crew will get more fans.)

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Honestly, the instructors from the original PW for SNES not appearing as Spirits baffles me even more than PW64's cast not being here, as Nintendo seems to hold the game in even higher regard than its N64 sequel. It really does look like the 'Spirit team' didn't do as much research as I hoped they would...
According to Sakurai in a recent interview, Spirits were also picked based on available artwork. It appears that save for the sprites of the SNES Pilotwings characters, there's literally NO artwork that they could use. Same could be for Pilotwings 64 as well.

Besides, there's a NUMBER of important characters that didn't show up as Spirits, and considering other factors, it actually becomes little surprising that many were left out, but without decent artwork to work with, that's that. ~ Afro

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
According to Sakurai in a recent interview, Spirits were also picked based on available artwork. It appears that save for the sprites of the SNES Pilotwings characters, there's literally NO artwork that they could use. Same could be for Pilotwings 64 as well.

Besides, there's a NUMBER of important characters that didn't show up as Spirits, and considering other factors, it actually becomes little surprising that many were left out, but without decent artwork to work with, that's that. ~ Afro
This is all true.

They would have to do a group shot of the 64 Pilots since it's the only real artwork of them that exists. But with group characters and having to do a Spirit Battle, I can see why they skipped it.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
This is all true.

They would have to do a group shot of the 64 Pilots since it's the only real artwork of them that exists. But with group characters and having to do a Spirit Battle, I can see why they skipped it.
Not just that, but who could even fit each pilot? I mean Kirby was used for Mallow and Sheik for Geno in Geno's Spirit Battle in World of Light. Not to mention conditions and the other things that go into making spirit battles.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Not just that, but who could even fit each pilot? I mean Kirby was used for Mallow and Sheik for Geno in Geno's Spirit Battle in World of Light. Not to mention conditions and the other things that go into making spirit battles.
That too.

People could stretch and say that Samus would be Robin, but it doesn't really work.

And using items like just the rocket belt or ones that substitute other things like the Birdman suit wouldn't work as well.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

This is all true.

They would have to do a group shot of the 64 Pilots since it's the only real artwork of them that exists.
Funny you say this...

http://videogameartarchive.com/tagged/Pilotwings-64

But with group characters and having to do a Spirit Battle, I can see why they skipped it.
That too.

People could stretch and say that Samus would be Robin, but it doesn't really work.

And using items like just the rocket belt or ones that substitute other things like the Birdman suit wouldn't work as well.
Well, I had some ideas regarding Spirit Battles. For the record, every PW64 spirit would be equipped with a Rocket Belt.

Lark - Pit would use his blond-haired alt, favors his Power of Flight up special from time to time, and will have a tendency to taunt a LOT (referencing Nester's tendency to be a total show-off).

Kiwi - Isabelle wears her pink outfit, favors her Balloon Trip up special occasionally, and has lighter weight as well.

Goose - Captain Falcon gets better jumping prowess, moves even faster, has a tendency to taunt (though not as much as Lark-Pit), and Guile is a permanently activated AT.

Ibis - Zero Suit Samus wears her green alt., moves faster than usual, and she can jump 4 times rather than 2.

Hawk - Snake wears his new shiny jet black alt. and has a tendency to favors his up special, even when he wouldn't need to do it. He is also equipped with a Steel Diver.

Hooter (Robin) - Palutena wears her blue alt., performs her side and down taunts a lot, and favors using her wing-based attacks.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Funny you say this...

http://videogameartarchive.com/tagged/Pilotwings-64

Well, I had some ideas regarding Spirit Battles. For the record, every PW64 spirit would be equipped with a Rocket Belt.

Lark - Pit would use his blond-haired alt, favors his Power of Flight up special from time to time, and will have a tendency to taunt a LOT (referencing Nester's tendency to be a total show-off).

Kiwi - Isabelle wears her pink outfit, favors her Balloon Trip up special occasionally, and has lighter weight as well.

Goose - Captain Falcon gets better jumping prowess, moves even faster, has a tendency to taunt (though not as much as Lark-Pit), and Guile is a permanently activated AT.

Ibis - Zero Suit Samus wears her green alt., moves faster than usual, and she can jump 4 times rather than 2.

Hawk - Snake wears his new shiny jet black alt. and has a tendency to favors his up special, even when he wouldn't need to do it. He is also equipped with a Steel Diver.

Hooter (Robin) - Palutena wears her blue alt., performs her side and down taunts a lot, and favors using her wing-based attacks.
Well that ends up helping for New Tendo City, especially considering only Tony and Lark got designs out of me and my hired artist so far.

Anyways, I dunno how to respond now, all I can say is that the team at Bandai-Namco simply didn't have THAT much time to look up things for Spirits. After all, KID was the ONLY Camelot Mario character besides Waluigi to even GET a spirit, and even then, it's his GBC design, NOT his older, and more recent GBA design.

I mean, one would've thought that Azalea, Plum, Kate, Harry, Alex, Nina, Neil, Ella, Buzz, Helen, Clay, and Ace would ALL be spirits considering their importance to the Mario Tennis/Golf series.

Regardless, we don't know WHAT happened during development aside from what Sakurai reveals in interviews.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey there, High-Flying Heroes! It's a been a while, huh? I came across something recently that I GUESS one could consdier PW-related (espceially when you take into account one of the alt. costumes...)

Crazy, right? Honestly? I wouldn't even complain if this happened in Smash, Heck, I think this would be counted as Smash pushing the envelope to its limit (bar adding the likes of Son Goku to a Smash game...)

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey there, High-Flying Heroes! It's a been a while, huh? I came across something recently that I GUESS one could consdier PW-related (espceially when you take into account one of the alt. costumes...)

Crazy, right? Honestly? I wouldn't even complain if this happened in Smash, Heck, I think this would be counted as Smash pushing the envelope to its limit (bar adding the likes of Son Goku to a Smash game...)
Nester!Kirby is adorable although Nester is missing his trademark red hat in his Pilotwings civilian outfit alt.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Been a while since I last did Lark's article. During that time, I formulated new ideas for Lark, many of which that ended up in Kiwi's article, and will be added to Lark's article later.

https://fantendo.fandom.com/wiki/Kiwi_(Galactic_Battle)

As far as some interesting tidbits go, Kiwi would be summoning Ibis and Hooter/Robin to assist her in the Final Smash, while they will also appear in one of Kiwi's victory animations.

Furthermore, Kiwi's Classic route would be similar to Richter's Ultimate Route, but under different conditions, mainly being that Kiwi would only fight female echoes that are cloned from Male fighters, much like herself from Lark.

Since it's my game, the fighters that she would fight would be Fay (:ultfox: Echo), Miyu (:ultfalco: Echo), Ribbon Girl (Spring Man Echo), Cynder (Spyro Echo), Coco (Crash Bandicoot Echo), Toadette (Captain Toad Echo), and Ms. Pac-Man (:ultpacman: Echo). ~ Afro

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Been a while since I last did Lark's article. During that time, I formulated new ideas for Lark, many of which that ended up in Kiwi's article, and will be added to Lark's article later.

https://fantendo.fandom.com/wiki/Kiwi_(Galactic_Battle)

As far as some interesting tidbits go, Kiwi would be summoning Ibis and Hooter/Robin to assist her in the Final Smash, while they will also appear in one of Kiwi's victory animations.

Furthermore, Kiwi's Classic route would be similar to Richter's Ultimate Route, but under different conditions, mainly being that Kiwi would only fight female echoes that are cloned from Male fighters, much like herself from Lark.

Since it's my game, the fighters that she would fight would be Fay (:ultfox: Echo), Miyu (:ultfalco: Echo), Ribbon Girl (Spring Man Echo), Cynder (Spyro Echo), Coco (Crash Bandicoot Echo), Toadette (Captain Toad Echo), and Ms. Pac-Man (:ultpacman: Echo). ~ Afro
Wow, it's nice to see you still working on this! Not to mention the love you're giving Lark and Kiwi as well. Still, I've been meaning to ask everyone here... is there any way we could spread some Lark/Pilotwings for Smash awareness? I know Smash Ultimate probably won't be adding anyone from PW as a playable character, but I feel that we should try and do something...

In fact, I've been thinking about asking Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan about the Assist Alliance, but since PW's characters don't have much of presence in Smash already, I wouldn't know where we could start...

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Wow, it's nice to see you still working on this! Not to mention the love you're giving Lark and Kiwi as well. Still, I've been meaning to ask everyone here... is there any way we could spread some Lark/Pilotwings for Smash awareness? I know Smash Ultimate probably won't be adding anyone from PW as a playable character, but I feel that we should try and do something...

In fact, I've been thinking about asking Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan about the Assist Alliance, but since PW's characters don't have much of presence in Smash already, I wouldn't know where we could start...
We could do what the Golden Sun fans have done and have our own version of Golden Sunday on Pilotwings's release date and spread our love of Pilotwings around. ;)

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I might just support every Nintendo fighter that has some sort of following, just to let Sakurai know we'd like some more Nintendo characters as DLC, instead of a full group of 5 third parties.
Count me in.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias

Yeah, this game is always being worked on. It's basically a rebooted Universe with fewer fighters and a whole new type of Adventure Mode known as the Elemental Labrynith.

Lark and Kiwi will both have roles in The Elemental Labrynith, and at some point in the story will be under the control of Boreas (Lord of Wind), one of the six antagonists within The Elemental Labrynith.

While I'm on the subject, Ricky Winterborn, Ryota Hayami, and Akari Hayami will also have roles, mainly due to their playable status. ;) ~ Afro

smashkirby

Smash Hero
We could do what the Golden Sun fans have done and have our own version of Golden Sunday on Pilotwings's release date and spread our love of Pilotwings around. ;)
So... anyone got a Twitter?:lol:

At this point, I might just support every Nintendo fighter that has some sort of following, just to let Sakurai know we'd like some more Nintendo characters as DLC, instead of a full group of 5 third parties.
Count me in.
Well then, LoZ00 LoZ00 ... You're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero"! Congratulations! And thank goodness, we've got a new supporter around here. At least we're getting activity still.

Yeah, this game is always being worked on. It's basically a rebooted Universe with fewer fighters and a whole new type of Adventure Mode known as the Elemental Labrynith.

Lark and Kiwi will both have roles in The Elemental Labrynith, and at some point in the story will be under the control of Boreas (Lord of Wind), one of the six antagonists within The Elemental Labrynith.

While I'm on the subject, Ricky Winterborn, Ryota Hayami, and Akari Hayami will also have roles, mainly due to their playable status. ;) ~ Afro
Wow, this is pretty creative, dude!

Top Bottom