• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's ace pilots take flight! Time to Switch gears for the Ultimate Battle! Pilotwings for Smash Ultimate!

Which Pilot Wings character(s) would you like to see in Smash?

• Total voters

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey as long as we're dreaming, I'm down for Ibis. Bring on the WoC in Smash
Gotta agree with you there Tomatoboxer. Don't forget that Shirley's a WoC too as her name in the Japanese version of Pilotwings was Ran Shiraishi. (And to be fair, even with the name change, it's obvious that she has some Asian ancestry if you look at her.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey as long as we're dreaming, I'm down for Ibis. Bring on the WoC in Smash
Take it I can add you to the support list, then?

Gotta agree with you there Tomatoboxer. Don't forget that Shirley's a WoC too as her name in the Japanese version of Pilotwings was Ran Shiraishi. (And to be fair, even with the name change, it's obvious that she has some Asian ancestry if you look at her.)
Wait, what's "WoC" again? Also, was Shirley the only SNES PW character to have a name change to Ran Shiraishi?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Okay, as I'm happy to refresh your memory on the list of name changes for the Flight Instructors:

Tony/Fumiya Tanaka
Shirley/Ran Shiraishi
Lance/Indy Scott
Big Al/Doubei Kuroda

The talk about Pilotwings PoCs reminded me that when I was a kid I had a hunch that Tony, Shirley, and Big Al were Asian when I played the game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yep, absolutely!

WoC = women of colour
Congrats, T Tomatoboxer ! You're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero"! Once again, congratulations!

Also, thanks for the 'WoC' defintion!

Okay, as I'm happy to refresh your memory on the list of name changes for the Flight Instructors:

Tony/Fumiya Tanaka
Shirley/Ran Shiraishi
Lance/Indy Scott
Big Al/Doubei Kuroda

The talk about Pilotwings PoCs reminded me that when I was a kid I had a hunch that Tony, Shirley, and Big Al were Asian when I played the game.
You know what? It's funny. Tony always struck as the most 'foreign' (specifically some form of Asian) compared to his co-workers. This includes Shirley, BTW!

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Congrats, T Tomatoboxer ! You're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero"! Once again, congratulations!

Also, thanks for the 'WoC' defintion!

You know what? It's funny. Tony always struck as the most 'foreign' (specifically some form of Asian) compared to his co-workers. This includes Shirley, BTW!
I kinda have to agree with you there that Tony probably has the most markedly Asian features. Heck my sister and I thought Shirley might have been mixed race with part of it being Asian. (I admit to a bias since I'm partly Asian myself;))

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, do any of you think our votes mattered in the long run for the Smash Ballot?

Also, did anyone here vote for Lark (or ANY PW character, for that matter)?

I mean, I understand that Nintendo DID say they may start looking at that for info on future characters from here on out, so maybe he/they have a chance, but they won't be high priority?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Out of curiosity, do any of you think our votes mattered in the long run for the Smash Ballot?

Also, did anyone here vote for Lark (or ANY PW character, for that matter)?

I mean, I understand that Nintendo DID say they may start looking at that for info on future characters from here on out, so maybe he/they have a chance, but they won't be high priority?
We know for sure the Ballot will be used in determining characters. Though I wouldn't say the most highly requested characters will be chosen. For example, Nemesis Firebrand were hardly that popular in the Marvel vs Capcom 3 fan poll yet were chosen as a part of the final 12 DLC for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

For a Pilotwings character, it depends if Sakurai sees the support and thinks of any ideas for them as a fighter. Also, depends if he will do more with Pilotwings than just bring back the Rocket Belt item and Pilotwings stage.

Lark was one of the many characters I've voted for in the ballot. Not expecting much votes because of Pilotwings 64's obscurity.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
We know for sure the Ballot will be used in determining characters. Though I wouldn't say the most highly requested characters will be chosen. For example, Nemesis Firebrand were hardly that popular in the Marvel vs Capcom 3 fan poll yet were chosen as a part of the final 12 DLC for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

For a Pilotwings character, it depends if Sakurai sees the support and thinks of any ideas for them as a fighter. Also, depends if he will do more with Pilotwings than just bring back the Rocket Belt item and Pilotwings stage.

Lark was one of the many characters I've voted for in the ballot. Not expecting much votes because of Pilotwings 64's obscurity.
If only I could show Sakurai the Dream Smashers guest article I made for SG regarding Lark. I can only hope Sakurai is aware of PW64's existence enough to NOT skip over the aforementioned INTERQUEL game in the series.

Also, thanks for voting for Lark!

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
If only I could show Sakurai the Dream Smashers guest article I made for SG regarding Lark. I can only hope Sakurai is aware of PW64's existence enough to NOT skip over the aforementioned INTERQUEL game in the series.

Also, thanks for voting for Lark!
Crossing fingers in hopes that Sakurai remembers Pilotwings 64 and that the series had characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Crossing fingers in hopes that Sakurai remembers Pilotwings 64 and that the series had characters.
Something that still bothers me to this day is how PW64 was the SECOND game in a trilogy and it got skipped over in Smash 4. Not even a trophy of any character hailed from that game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Something that still bothers me to this day is how PW64 was the SECOND game in a trilogy and it got skipped over in Smash 4. Not even a trophy of any character hailed from that game.
Didn't the studio that developed that game died?

I did recall you or S SSBCandidates managed to contact the former members of that studio over a song. I think it was a few years ago.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Didn't the studio that developed that game died?

I did recall you or S SSBCandidates managed to contact the former members of that studio over a song. I think it was a few years ago.
Oh, yeah! It was me that contacted Dan Hess (PW64's composer). As far as I know, he said he had no idea that Smash 4 even had a PW stage (though he was delighted to hear that there was one), and that he himself does NOT own the rights to the 'Birdman' song. Apparently, the song still belongs to Nintendo, thus bothering me even MORE that Nintendo didn't (at the very least) add a song from PW64.

For the record, I would have (at least) wanted the 'Birdman' and 'Gyrocopter' themes in Smash 4.

Heck, the closest PW64 has to a song in Smash 4 is a few snippets of PW64's 'Hang Glider' theme being heard in the 'Pedal Glider' theme that Smash 4 ripped straight from PW Resort.

BTW, I should mention that S SSBCandidates (or maybe someone else?) DID contact another person that worked on the original PW game for SNES. I forgot what the subject was about though...

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Oh, yeah! It was me that contacted Dan Hess (PW64's composer). As far as I know, he said he had no idea that Smash 4 even had a PW stage (though he was delighted to hear that there was one), and that he himself does NOT own the rights to the 'Birdman' song. Apparently, the song still belongs to Nintendo, thus bothering me even MORE that Nintendo didn't (at the very least) add a song from PW64.

For the record, I would have (at least) wanted the 'Birdman' and 'Gyrocopter' themes in Smash 4.

Heck, the closest PW64 has to a song in Smash 4 is a few snippets of PW64's 'Hang Glider' theme being heard in the 'Pedal Glider' theme that Smash 4 ripped straight from PW Resort.

BTW, I should mention that S SSBCandidates (or maybe someone else?) DID contact another person that worked on the original PW game for SNES. I forgot what the subject was about though...
No, it was someone who worked in an indie game, but right now I forgot its name. It was at Miiverse.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
If Wii Fit Trainer and Villager can get in then a pilotwings character could also get in. Although my main two choices are Lark and Robin.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
ATTENTION: The OP has been slightly revised. But I'm not done just yet! More will be added to the OP soon! But for now, if you all have any opinions or ideas, please tell me!

But... no flaming, OK?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, High-Flying Heroes. So, I'm sure many of us know that the new Smash game's title has been revealed to be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Alongside this, Pilotwings (from the Wii U version of Smash 4) has been confirmed as a returning stage. Hopefully, we'll get some more PW representation (and what's more, it'll hopefully feature content from PW64 as well).

BTW, I've changed up the title of the thread to keep up with current events.. Please let me know what you all think. Should I change it up more?

Also, I wanted to post this here. I'd like to thank splat splat for these awesome Smash Ultimate stock icon mock-ups!

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’d love a pilot Wings character, personally Goose has always been my favorite, but I’d be fine with anybody to be honest. Could be interesting to see an aerial based move set, maybe even take a page from the rivals of Aether characters Wrastor and have the pilot wings character be able to preform smash attacks in air instead of the ground.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I’d love a pilot Wings character, personally Goose has always been my favorite, but I’d be fine with anybody to be honest. Could be interesting to see an aerial based move set, maybe even take a page from the rivals of Aether characters Wrastor and have the pilot wings character be able to preform smash attacks in air instead of the ground.
Funny you mention all this...take a look at the OP. I revised my Lark moveset a while back, and I would like some feedback...

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I Love Weird Fighters! This is such an out there pick and it’s fantastic. You have my support!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, thanks! I'm also a sucker for characters who are more "out there" as choces than the more established ones too!

Anyways... You're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero", Captain Shades Captain Shades ! Congratulations!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I wanted to support someone from Pilot Wings, I'd go with the Super Nintendo game.

It's the only one of the series I owned and still enjoy it.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
I forgot to bring this here after revealing both Mike Jones and Ayumi Tachibana's designs for New Tendo City! Since you aren't on Discord anymore smashkirby smashkirby , I figured you'd LOVE this!

Hipster Robin commission.png

I'll have her bio plucked from Discord soon! ;) ~ Afro

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Funny you mention all this...take a look at the OP. I revised my Lark moveset a while back, and I would like some feedback...
Disclaimer: I’ve played a lot of 64, but not the two other games so I don’t have the widest pool of knowledge for a Pilotwings character. One thing that’s tricky about making a pilot wings character is that they obviously need to fight good in the air and be able to recover well to feel like the series they come from, just not too good since you don’t want a brawl meta Knight situation or have a play style just built around stalling.

I like your move set, especially the floating ring idea as it reminds me of the new launch star item in ultimate. Personally I think the move set might need a “gimmick” for lack of a better word, something that makes Lark standout mechanically from the rest of the smashers. The ability to preform smash attacks in air instead of the ground could be a “gimmick”.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Disclaimer: I’ve played a lot of 64, but not the two other games so I don’t have the widest pool of knowledge for a Pilotwings character. One thing that’s tricky about making a pilot wings character is that they obviously need to fight good in the air and be able to recover well to feel like the series they come from, just not too good since you don’t want a brawl meta Knight situation or have a play style just built around stalling.

I like your move set, especially the floating ring idea as it reminds me of the new launch star item in ultimate. Personally I think the move set might need a “gimmick” for lack of a better word, something that makes Lark standout mechanically from the rest of the smashers. The ability to preform smash attacks in air instead of the ground could be a “gimmick”.
Hey, thanks! Honestly, you wouldn't believe my surprise at the Launch Star item being Ultimate and how it was pretty much a 1:1 match of my Boost Ring special move for Lark/any Pilotwings character. Also, the weird thing is that I had the idea of Lark/any Pilotwings character having the gimmick of being able to perform Smash Attacks in midair, but I wasn't sure if that would be too OP or not, so I dropped the idea.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hey, thanks! Honestly, you wouldn't believe my surprise at the Launch Star item being Ultimate and how it was pretty much a 1:1 match of my Boost Ring special move for Lark/any Pilotwings character. Also, the weird thing is that I had the idea of Lark/any Pilotwings character having the gimmick of being able to perform Smash Attacks in midair, but I wasn't sure if that would be too OP or not, so I dropped the idea.
Yeah the ability to preform mid air smash attacks could potentially be OP, I'd probably have them be rather weak in comparison to most other character's ground smash attacks just in case.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah the ability to preform mid air smash attacks could potentially be OP, I'd probably have them be rather weak in comparison to most other character's ground smash attacks just in case.
Actually, that's not a bad idea. If you don't mind, I'd like to use that idea!

BTW, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan , AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 , Crap-Zapper Crap-Zapper , Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro , Captain Shades Captain Shades , lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper , kool2419 kool2419 and any other PW for Smash supporters I've missed.

I don't suppose you all saw the recent info regarding Bayonetta and the Smash Ballot, have you? I'm not saying this means anything big for Lark (or any PW character as a whole), not in the slightest. But considering how the JP Smash Ballot website was WAY more upfront with us, explaining how whatever you post in the Smash Ballot will (at the very least) be taken into consideration, what do you all think about it?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

BTW, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan , AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 , Crap-Zapper Crap-Zapper , Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro , Captain Shades Captain Shades , lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper , kool2419 kool2419 and any other PW for Smash supporters I've missed.

I don't suppose you all saw the recent info regarding Bayonetta and the Smash Ballot, have you? I'm not saying this means anything big for Lark (or any PW character as a whole), not in the slightest. But considering how the JP Smash Ballot website was WAY more upfront with us, explaining how whatever you post in the Smash Ballot will (at the very least) be taken into consideration, what do you all think about it?
I think it's a great idea, maybe we'll be able to finally get a Pilotwings character in Smash.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias

Personally, I'm okay with the development of that. Anything that means a higher chance for characters such as Ayumi Tachibana.

Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind seeing Lark. You never know... ;)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Anything is possible now. Japan exclusive? Got no reason held against them now if they are requested in the west.
With actual content of Pilotwings making a presence in Smash 4, that's a start, and a big leaf. I just think it's sad how it was tied in with Mii Resort, thing.
The Jetpack was my favourite in regards to PilotWings refrences. I'd love to atleast see something, but I'm not particularly leaning towards it, yet. Since we don't know how much new content is being featured, other than the Ballot making a huge impact.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

As much as I like the idea of them having a chance, I wouldn’t count on it. The Mega-Krool fandom essentially dominated the list. Along with them other characters like Bandana Waddle Dee (my personal pick), Rayman, Wolf, Snake, Inklings, and others. But the chance seems higher than Wii U and 3DS as this Smash seems to harken back to more fan demand characters unlike Wii U’s heavy emphasis on marketing picks. (Ie: Robin, Corrin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Palutena, Shulk, and more.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If I wanted to support someone from Pilot Wings, I'd go with the Super Nintendo game.

It's the only one of the series I owned and still enjoy it.
Oh, man. I'm really sorry that I never asked you about this. Considering your post here, I don't suppose you want me to add you to the support list?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
As much as I like the idea of them having a chance, I wouldn’t count on it. The Mega-Krool fandom essentially dominated the list. Along with them other characters like Bandana Waddle Dee (my personal pick), Rayman, Wolf, Snake, Inklings, and others. But the chance seems higher than Wii U and 3DS as this Smash seems to harken back to more fan demand characters unlike Wii U’s heavy emphasis on marketing picks. (Ie: Robin, Corrin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Palutena, Shulk, and more.)
That's true, to be fair I've wanted Bandana Dee alongside a Pilotwings rep so it doesn't bug me if he gets in before the Lark, Kiwi, and the rest. If there's another Smash Ballot I'll happily vote for a Pilotwings character. I just want to see Sakurai acknowledge Pilotwings 64 in the Pilotwings stage.

Top Bottom