• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's ace pilots take flight! Time to Switch gears for the Ultimate Battle! Pilotwings for Smash Ultimate!

Which Pilot Wings character(s) would you like to see in Smash?

• Total voters

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Not sure if this is new, but Did You Know Gaming? posted Liam's video on the Factor 5 Pilotwings game that was cancelled.

Very informative stuff.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is new, but Did You Know Gaming? posted Liam's video on the Factor 5 Pilotwings game that was cancelled.

Very informative stuff.
I would have LOVED to play the Pilotwings Wii game if it had come out. It sounds like a souped-up version of Pilotwings Resort.

On Liam saying that the canceled Pilotwings game is very different in tone from the first two games I will have to kind of disagree with him. I think people forget that the first game has you as a student in a Flight Club which is implied to a secret military group. Not to mention that you have to fly missions to save your instructors AND Big Al's brother. Heck, even Pilotwings 64 which is lighter in tone has you fighting against a robot named Mecha Hawk who is wrecking the cities. Pilotwings may be a family-friendly franchise, but even they are willing to sneak in some darkness in order to make their series memorable.

As a cat lover, I do love the easter egg of the cat picture. What type of pictures you guys think the Pilotwings characters would put in their planes?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would have LOVED to play the Pilotwings Wii game if it had come out. It sounds like a souped-up version of Pilotwings Resort.

On Liam saying that the canceled Pilotwings game is very different in tone from the first two games I will have to kind of disagree with him. I think people forget that the first game has you as a student in a Flight Club which is implied to a secret military group. Not to mention that you have to fly missions to save your instructors AND Big Al's brother. Heck, even Pilotwings 64 which is lighter in tone has you fighting against a robot named Mecha Hawk who is wrecking the cities. Pilotwings may be a family-friendly franchise, but even they are willing to sneak in some darkness in order to make their series memorable.

As a cat lover, I do love the easter egg of the cat picture. What type of pictures you guys think the Pilotwings characters would put in their planes?
Yeah, Nintendo loves their dark themes as much as their light. Look at the Mario RPG's and Kirby, they are far from super sugary and sweet. You are right that the early games did have some danger in them and are far from non-violent as Animal Crossing (who only go as far as bees and scorpion attacks). A darker game on the Wii actually would have been fun. A shame so many Nintendo projects from Factir 5 barely come into fruition. They were excellent with Star Wars, so their take on Pilotwings would have been fun.

Not sure how to answer that question. We don't really know much about the personalities of the pilots (SNES and 64). I'd say some of the women like Shirley and Kiwi could have flowers and other womanly things. Goose would probably have some professional air flight shots given his aura. Maybe a gym for Hawk since he looks like body builder. Or perhaps a suit for Tony. What are your ideas?

We should listen to PW64's Birdman theme in our Discord Server again sometime.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Very informative stuff.
Not going to lie, I'm actually pretty...well, pissed that Nintendo turned this down. I REALLY would have wanted to play this. Maybe even more than the cancelled GCN PW game.

As a cat lover, I do love the Easter egg of the cat picture. What type of pictures you guys think the Pilotwings characters would put in their planes?
Lark - SOME Nintendo console. Heck, maybe it'd be a different console each time you selected him

Kiwi - Baby birds(?)

Goose - U.S. themed merch

Ibis - Heart-themed items

Hawk - Bodybuilding stuff

Hooter/Robin - Star-themed stuff

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Yeah, Nintendo loves their dark themes as much as their light. Look at the Mario RPG's and Kirby, they are far from super sugary and sweet. You are right that the early games did have some danger in them and are far from non-violent as Animal Crossing (who only go as far as bees and scorpion attacks). A darker game on the Wii actually would have been fun. A shame so many Nintendo projects from Factir 5 barely come into fruition. They were excellent with Star Wars, so their take on Pilotwings would have been fun.

Not sure how to answer that question. We don't really know much about the personalities of the pilots (SNES and 64). I'd say some of the women like Shirley and Kiwi could have flowers and other womanly things. Goose would probably have some professional air flight shots given his aura. Maybe a gym for Hawk since he looks like body builder. Or perhaps a suit for Tony. What are your ideas?

We should listen to PW64's Birdman theme in our Discord Server again sometime.
Yep, I think the reason why Nintendo gets stereotyped as 'sugary sweet' is that they hide their dark themes in their hopeful and optimistic worlds and aren't as upfront in their edginess like Sega games in the 80s and 90s. (That's why I love Nintendo games, they're hopeful and optimistic but not afraid to show conflict and darkness in order to show how great their heroes are.)

I think Tony would actually wear suits instead of having pictures of them in his biplane. I think Shirley, Kiwi, and Robin would have 'feminine' things in their vehicles, with Ibis it could go either way. Lance would probably have a picture relating to something from his past. (Probably the squadron he used to be in or a dead friend that he used to work with in the covert ops group.) Big Al may be the only one who doesn't have a picture in his plane.

Not going to lie, I'm actually pretty...well, pissed that Nintendo turned this down. I REALLY would have wanted to play this. Maybe even more than the cancelled GCN PW game.

Lark - SOME Nintendo console. Heck, maybe it'd be a different console each time you selected him

Kiwi - Baby birds(?)

Goose - U.S. themed merch

Ibis - Heart-themed items

Hawk - Bodybuilding stuff

Hooter/Robin - Star-themed stuff
You're right that Lark would have a picture of a Nintendo console in his plane. Now I have to wonder if Kiwi would have a picture of her cat in her plane. Robin should probably have a picture of a Starman power-up in her plane:)

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
smashkirby smashkirby you've been absent recently on Discord right when these were revealed/written. Considering how much you were interested in these characters for Smash, I figured I could work them in this series as early as a I could. The Stories of New Tendo City, is a series that takes all Nintendo characters and reimagines them in a 21st Century New York City like setting.

New Tendo City Briefs - Lark Cumulus
A young man who attends school alongside other children in the city. He is best friends with Kiwi Bird, and they both wish to be able to learn how to fly one day. His hero is Marcus McCloud's father Fox, who he considers a great pilot. Often known for trying to scare Kiwi whenever he can for a quick laugh. This is often met with being hit in the face on a regular basis. Gives Officer Jenny quite the headache, mainly due to his numerous attempts to try and hang-glide off of the roofs of the skyscrapers.

New Tendo City Briefs - Kiwi Bird
Lark Cumulus' best friend, and an aspiring pilot. Like Lark, she also admires a parent of Marcus McCloud's. Unlike Lark however, she admires Fox's wife Krystal, who she considers the greatest female pilot that ever lived. Kind, sweet, and sometimes even a bit airheaded. Lark usually attempt to scare her, but she often counters by slapping him in the face. Looks up to Ibis, a classmate of her's as a big sister.

New Tendo City Briefs - Goose Americana​

A young man who attends the same high school as Lark, Kiwi, and Ibis. He has a yearning to fly as well, but only because it would make him "cool to the ladies". Insists that he needs his sunglasses all the time, and never takes them off, even while sleeping and showering! Considers himself a "ladies man", and often feels that Lark "ruins" his image. Often found attempting to hit on Ibis, but often foiled by Lark stealing his glasses or Kiwi giving him a boot to the face!

These are a part of the New Tendo City Stories. The collected info so far is all on here, with more to come! http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Stories_of_New_Tendo_City ~ Afro

smashkirby

Smash Hero
smashkirby smashkirby you've been absent recently on Discord right when these were revealed/written. Considering how much you were interested in these characters for Smash, I figured I could work them in this series as early as a I could. The Stories of New Tendo City, is a series that takes all Nintendo characters and reimagines them in a 21st Century New York City like setting.

A young man who attends school alongside other children in the city. He is best friends with Kiwi Bird, and they both wish to be able to learn how to fly one day. His hero is Marcus McCloud's father Fox, who he considers a great pilot. Often known for trying to scare Kiwi whenever he can for a quick laugh. This is often met with being hit in the face on a regular basis. Gives Officer Jenny quite the headache, mainly due to his numerous attempts to try and hang-glide off of the roofs of the skyscrapers.

Lark Cumulus' best friend, and an aspiring pilot. Like Lark, she also admires a parent of Marcus McCloud's. Unlike Lark however, she admires Fox's wife Krystal, who she considers the greatest female pilot that ever lived. Kind, sweet, and sometimes even a bit airheaded. Lark usually attempt to scare her, but she often counters by slapping him in the face. Looks up to Ibis, a classmate of her's as a big sister.

A young man who attends the same high school as Lark, Kiwi, and Ibis. He has a yearning to fly as well, but only because it would make him "cool to the ladies". Insists that he needs his sunglasses all the time, and never takes them off, even while sleeping and showering! Considers himself a "ladies man", and often feels that Lark "ruins" his image. Often found attempting to hit on Ibis, but often foiled by Lark stealing his glasses or Kiwi giving him a boot to the face!

These are a part of the New Tendo City Stories. The collected info so far is all on here, with more to come! http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Stories_of_New_Tendo_City ~ Afro
Oh, trust me, I still want a PW character for Smash, I've just been busy lately. Heck, I haven't even posted on SB as a whole for a while now due to school.

Oh, wow! This looks so amazing! For real, I can't wait to see more! How long have you had this thought out?

Also, "New Tendo", huh? :smirk:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Oh, trust me, I still want a PW character for Smash, I've just been busy lately. Heck, I haven't even posted on SB as a whole for a while now due to school.

Oh, wow! This looks so amazing! For real, I can't wait to see more! How long have you had this thought out?

Also, "New Tendo", huh? :smirk:
Thanks! It's always good to hear!

I actually began this universe with a Lucina story during Thanksgiving week, and then it snowballed! Thanksgiving 2017, to be exact! ;)

New Tendo City is a play on words of both New York City and Nintendo. Didn't realize that until after I made the name up! ~ Afro

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

I agree with smashkirby, I definatley want to see the rest of the Pilotwings character's profiles once you come up with it. In fact your idea that Lark and Kiwi are good friends reminds me that back in 1998 I used to ship Lark/Kiwi as a romantic pairing:)

Suddenly the idea of a Star Fox/Pilotwings crossover would be cool, I actually imagined how a Pilotwings game stylized like Star Fox would go.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
I agree with smashkirby, I definatley want to see the rest of the Pilotwings character's profiles once you come up with it. In fact your idea that Lark and Kiwi are good friends reminds me that back in 1998 I used to ship Lark/Kiwi as a romantic pairing:)
Even though this isn't a bio... yet... Ibis has received a surname for the Stories of New Tendo City!

Ibis is now known as Ibis Botros. Since it was mentioned previously that Ibis is Egyptian, I decided to play that into her character, mainly her accent, and her culture. I decided to research actual common Egyptian surnames, and finally decided on Botros.

My research has showed that despite being commonly used as a surname more, and more, the name Botros is a masculine one, and is often known as the Arabic equivelent of Peter! The more you know! Regardless, sounds like a catchy name! ~ Afro

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Even though this isn't a bio... yet... Ibis has received a surname for the Stories of New Tendo City!

Ibis is now known as Ibis Botros. Since it was mentioned previously that Ibis is Egyptian, I decided to play that into her character, mainly her accent, and her culture. I decided to research actual common Egyptian surnames, and finally decided on Botros.

My research has showed that despite being commonly used as a surname more, and more, the name Botros is a masculine one, and is often known as the Arabic equivelent of Peter! The more you know! Regardless, sounds like a catchy name! ~ Afro
I wouldn't be surprised that Ibis would be Egyptian American, seeing as the Ibis was an Egyptian bird. Heck, I had a headcanon that her family consisted of not only her parents and possible siblings, but her Grandparents as well.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I wouldn't be surprised that Ibis would be Egyptian American, seeing as the Ibis was an Egyptian bird. Heck, I had a headcanon that her family consisted of not only her parents and possible siblings, but her Grandparents as well.
Ibis might as well be one of the few known Egyptian Nintendo characters.

Next to Paper Mario's Tutankoopa.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Agree, you can also include Powert from the Japan-only Game Boy Color game Mobile Golf.
Camelot's Mario Golf and Tennis OCs will be appearing as residents of New Tendo City. Azalea is going to be Daisy's little sister as was originally intended. Plum will be Peach's cousin, as was originally intended.

Again, EVERY Nintendo character will get a chance to shine here! ;) - Afro

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro Do you plan to do anything with the SNES Pilotwings characters or do you plan to focus on the N64 crew. (Which to be honest I'm eagerly awaiting to see what you will do with them, my 1997 self would have literally exploded with happiness to see a Nintendo fic with Pilotwings characters:).)

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro Do you plan to do anything with the SNES Pilotwings characters or do you plan to focus on the N64 crew. (Which to be honest I'm eagerly awaiting to see what you will do with them, my 1997 self would have literally exploded with happiness to see a Nintendo fic with Pilotwings characters:).)
The N64 crew are currently the main focus right now, mainly due to being the real memorable crew of the bunch. The SNES Pilotwings characters are on the back burner right now, mainly due to the amount of research I'd have to do to find them. Rest assured they will be in soon! Thank you! I'm happy to hear that! ~ Afro

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
The N64 crew are currently the main focus right now, mainly due to being the real memorable crew of the bunch. The SNES Pilotwings characters are on the back burner right now, mainly due to the amount of research I'd have to do to find them. Rest assured they will be in soon! Thank you! I'm happy to hear that! ~ Afro
You're welcome;) the N64 crew were the first Nintendo characters I really liked and Pilotwings 64 was my introduction into video gaming.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Found 'em for you.

Bottom of this page https://www.giantbomb.com/pilotwings/3030-14727/ has links to their individual profiles. ... Granted their profiles have pretty much no info, but there's at least a picture of them.

And here is the SNES Pilotwings Ending. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNyEev8QTvw

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Ibis Botros - Ibis Botros - Another one of the pilots, a group of teenagers who wish to become pilots one day. Ibis is the oldest female of the group, and often has to deal with the boys antics. She's considered the "legal defense" of the group, as she's often stuck explaining to poor Officer Jenny who did what this time! It's no surprise that she's often found hiding out at Lily, Ashley Robbins, and Princia's apartment lately, or the bakery by Peach and Daisy! She's loves Kiwi like a little sister, and wishes that Lark and Goose would quit fighting so much, one has to wonder how she does it!

Ibis has been done now, smashkirby smashkirby and lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper !

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Ibis Botros - Ibis Botros - Another one of the pilots, a group of teenagers who wish to become pilots one day. Ibis is the oldest female of the group, and often has to deal with the boys antics. She's considered the "legal defense" of the group, as she's often stuck explaining to poor Officer Jenny who did what this time! It's no surprise that she's often found hiding out at Lily, Ashley Robbins, and Princia's apartment lately, or the bakery by Peach and Daisy! She's loves Kiwi like a little sister, and wishes that Lark and Goose would quit fighting so much, one has to wonder how she does it!

Ibis has been done now, smashkirby smashkirby and lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper !
This is pretty cool, now I'm imagining an adult Ibis as a lawyer.:laugh: Can't wait to see what you'll do with Hawk and Robin.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And I still support Lark at least, or any pilot for that matter.

You still there smashkirby smashkirby ?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The series needs more representation, the gameplay is unique enough to make a moveset out of. Eh, why not?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hold on, guys! I'll get everything ready soon once I'm done with school today, alright?

Still though, it's great to see everyone coming back!

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hold on, guys! I'll get everything ready soon once I'm done with school today, alright?

Still though, it's great to see everyone coming back!
Sure is, since there's a new Smash game coming out, there may be a chance that Nintendo will put in a Pilotwings representative.

On a somewhat different yet similar subject, I was thinking about the EVIL Syndicate and that in the Japanese version Big Al mentioned that they were drug lords. It made me ponder a possible headcanon that some of the members live like rich drug lords with tacky golden mansions and diamond encrusted weapons and the rest of the syndicate is pissed off at them because they're trying to fly under the radar. (Maybe one of them stupidly lands their plane near the Flight Club?)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pilot Wings was one of the first games I ever owned. I cannot say I am rooting for them, but it would certainly be a series that brings a smile to my face to see represented with a character should it happen.

...unless it is a Mii in Wings. Then I'd throw my fist into a wall.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Pilot Wings was one of the first games I ever owned. I cannot say I am rooting for them, but it would certainly be a series that brings a smile to my face to see represented with a character should it happen.

...unless it is a Mii in Wings. Then I'd throw my fist into a wall.
So, I take it I can add you to the support list? Also, let's all PRAY Sakurai DOESN'T ignore Pilotwings 64 this time around....

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, I take it I can add you to the support list? Also, let's all PRAY Sakurai DOESN'T ignore Pilotwings 64 this time around....
Sure. It would excite me to see a Pilotwings character. I tend to get hype if I've played the characters games.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I agree, it would irritate me if he forgets that Pilotwings 64 exists. I would love to see a PW 64 stage, trophies, music and best of all, a fighter in Smash Bros. (I would main the heck out of a Pilotwings character in Smash Bros.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We have a Pilotwings item and stage, so why not take it step further with a character?

And I don't mean a Mii (Mii Fighters already exist), I mean the coaches from SNES or even the characters from Pilotwings 64.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
We have a Pilotwings item and stage, so why not take it step further with a character?

And I don't mean a Mii (Mii Fighters already exist), I mean the coaches from SNES or even the characters from Pilotwings 64.
Yes, this exactly. I would love to play as any of the pilots from Pilotwings 64 or Lance or Tony from the SNES game. (Heck, I have a headcanon that some of Lance's, Tony's, and Shirley's victory poses are a little bittersweet as they have to deal with the aftereffects of being held hostage by the EVIL Syndicate and presumably interrogated. I was inspired by Marth's victory poses as I found out that that he was saying "Today I was able to survive again." and "Everyone please look at me." among others. They would have at least one unambiguously happy victory pose.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I agree, it would irritate me if he forgets that Pilotwings 64 exists. I would love to see a PW 64 stage, trophies, music and best of all, a fighter in Smash Bros. (I would main the heck out of a Pilotwings character in Smash Bros.)
It's even weirder when you consider how PW64 was the "interquel" game in the series' trilogy. I mean, how do you completely ignore that?

Thank you! Hopefully, the playable spot goes to Lark! As for a Mii outfit, I see one being based on the Golden Pilot.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
It's even weirder when you consider how PW64 was the "interquel" game in the series' trilogy. I mean, how do you completely ignore that?

Thank you! Hopefully, the playable spot goes to Lark! As for a Mii outfit, I see one being based on the Golden Pilot.
Yeah, why would Sakurai ignore Pilotwings 64? A Mii outfit based on the nameless protagonist from the SNES game would be cool.

I just remembered I had an idea for one of Tony's victory poses that he's rubbing his right wrist while having a subltly funny quizzical look on his face as if his wrist is acting up because of an old wound. As if he's thinking "That smarts! And just as I was enjoying my victory too!"

Top Bottom