• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendog character concept

Transform987

Smash Rookie
Nintendog playable character:

The Nintendog will not be just the dog but the 'hand' you play as in the games.
The whole idea is that the dog is kinda unaware that they are fighting, this is partly to retain the idea that the dog is having fun the whole time.
Most moves with the dog involve the hand causing the attack or the dog accidentally doing something to deal damage.

Specials:
Neutral special (Trick or Treat)- The dog will preform a random trick from a set list, you must press the special button again to be given a treat by the hand. The treat will heal you.
Trick list: Sit (Short button press), Lay Down (Mid way between sit and roll), Roll (Long button press). I'd say that the longer you go without using it, you get sit more often.

Down special (Buried treasure)- Using this will cause the dog to dig into the ground. It will grant a different item based upon your input after using the move. Each item is a toy from nintendogs. If used when you already have an item, it can be buried and saved for later. If an item is already active, you cannot use the move again.
Item list: Balloon (Up)- The balloon can be used to float, an effect similar to Peach's Parasol. The balloon slowly deflates as it is used. Attacks can be used while holding it.
Boomerang (Side)- The boomerang can be thrown and it will return. A weaker version of the normal boomerang item.
Dumbbell Toy (Down)- A squeaky dumbbell toy with high launch power when thrown.

Side special (Kart chase): The Mario kart item from Nintendogs is thrown on the field causing the dog to chase it. The kart is fully controllable, similar to egg roll. If the dog or kart hits and enemy they will be tripped. If used in the air then the dog will jump onto the kart, allowing it be used for recovery purposes.

Up special (Going for a walk): The dog will don a collar as the hand attached a lead to the dog. The dog will then dash in a chosen direction, pulling the hand along and dealing damage to anyone in the way. Main recovery move.

Ground Attacks:
Jab- The hand will start with a punch, followed by the jumping to it and being finished by the two jabbing forward. Does not lead into an infinite.
F Tilt- The dog will do a short leap forwards before being pulled back by the hand.
D Tilt- The dog will sneeze, causing any enemies nearby to be sent skywards.
U Tilt- The hand will do a swipe, similar to Bowser and DK's U Tilt.
Dash attack- The dog will slide on the ground doing damage to any enemies it makes contact with.

Smash Attacks:
F Smash- The hand pulls out a bubble blowers and quickly blows some bubbles which explode on contact with enemies.
D Smash- The dog runs in a wide circle, pulling any nearby enemies before sending them flying.
U Smash- The hand throws a random assortment of toys upwards. Wide area.

Grabs:
Grab attempt- The hand attempts to grab the opponent.
Grab- The hand holds onto the enemy as the dog runs in circles around them.
Pummel- The dog barks, dealing damage. Fast, low damage.
F Throw- The hand flings enemy forwards.
B Throw- The hand attempts to throw the enemy forward but slips upon the dog, causing the enemy to fall back and into the ground.
D Throw- The dog jumps on the enemy and licks them several times before sending them flying.
U Throw- The hand throws the enemy and a bone upwards, causing the dog to quickly jump up and attack the enemy with the bone. Heals slightly.

Airel:
N Air- The dog spins vertically as the hand holds on.
F Air- The dog leaps forward,dealing damage, before quickly being pulled back by the hand
B Air- The hand throws a treat backwards causing the dog to snap in that direction. High launch and startup.
U Air- The hand swipes upwards.
D Air- The dog kicks its legs in a quick fashion, similar to Yoshi.

Final Smash:
Bath Time- The hand drags the dog off as it holds onto the stage, any enemies caught are brought along. The scene changes to a bathroom with the dog in the bath, the camera zooms down to show the enemies tiny in the bath. The hand grabs a shower head and begins to wash the dog, also washing away the enemies. After the scene is over the dog returns to the stage shaking itself off as the enemies go flying.

Taunts:
The dog runs in a small circle around the hand
The dog does two little hops
The dog receives a pat on the head by the hand

Victory poses:
The hand fingerguns to the dog, the dog follows by playing dead.
The dog run on by jumping over a small hurdle then receiving a treat from the hand
The camera zooms in on the dog chewing a bone as the hand pets it on the head.

Costumes could be various dog breeds with various cosmetic items from the game with the hand being slightly different colours.

Any further ideas/feedback would be appreciated. I had alot of fun coming up with this concept and its an idea I've had for a while. I just thought it was the best way to represent the series and have the character be more then just a dog.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This is a cute idea, and I can admit this is an easy way for Nintendog to be a fighter without making Smash a target of "pet abuse controversy" from PETA. Nice moveeet ideas with the hand.

Unlikely, but I suppot.

Transform987

Smash Rookie
I realise how unlikely it is. The only reasons that they are even slightly likely is:
A) They are the most represented series with no fighter
B) If they release a new game for the switch
C) The fact that they were once considered

I do think they have too much against them, that being the animal abuse thing from PETA but that never stopped them before. I think you just need to show that everyone is having a great time in smash, cause that's always what it seems like. It seem like great fun for the characters as they smile in the battlefield.

But, yeah, I just thought the idea of having the hand be more of the character then the dog was the best way to represent the series. I've seen movesets before but they all were just normal dogs, nothing that really makes it nintendog-ish.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I realise how unlikely it is. The only reasons that they are even slightly likely is:
A) They are the most represented series with no fighter
B) If they release a new game for the switch
C) The fact that they were once considered

I do think they have too much against them, that being the animal abuse thing from PETA but that never stopped them before. I think you just need to show that everyone is having a great time in smash, cause that's always what it seems like. It seem like great fun for the characters as they smile in the battlefield.

But, yeah, I just thought the idea of having the hand be more of the character then the dog was the best way to represent the series. I've seen movesets before but they all were just normal dogs, nothing that really makes it nintendog-ish.
Right right, and that's why I see you going the approach you did for the moves. The pet owner (you) is just as important as the dog you raise, so you would have to have some involvement in the grand scheme of things.

And it's true that Nintendogs is a big enough series with great historical value in Smash. I'm probably in the minority that felt the 3DS games were weaker than the originals, but that's just my subjective opinion.

Last edited:

Transform987

Smash Rookie
I'm glad to have found SOMEONE who agrees that Nintendogs is an important franchise. It was great for Nintendo, the reason many bought the DS and 3DS. It's quite a classic. Plus... I really like my idea for the final smash because cinematic final smashes are delish. I think Brawl was the perfect chance but I think the opportunity may be lost, they won't be in Ultimate that's for sure. But I feel like if any character deserves the promotion, it's the Nintendog. The stage is really cool but I wish it had incorporated the dogs a bit more.

Top Bottom