• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo What If?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
In the tradition of the Marvel 'What If?' series where small changes to established storylines create alternate spirals of events (sometimes with disastrous consequences!) -

What Nintendo Gaming What Ifs would create fun alternate timelines?

They can be big changes or small ones as both will branch into completely different gaming realities

Here are some to get the ball rolling, please feel free to present your own

What If...
  • The Nintendo Play Station does not break down and instead becomes the official successor to SNES...
  • Microsoft was never interested in purchasing Rare and games such as Kameo: Elements of Power & Grabbed by the Ghoulies came out on Gamecube as intended...
  • No region exclusive releases existed and all games from the NES era released worldwide - what would become a hit and grow into mainstay franchises...
  • Cancelled games were never cancelled and games like Raven Blade, Project Hammer, Catroots, RiQa etc. all were finished and released...

And of course, how do these changes effect Smash Bros?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Here's an elaboration on the first post

In the late 80's/ early 90's Nintendo teamed up with Sony to create a console that read compact discs as opposed to cartridges. This console (nicknamed in post as the Nintendo PlayStation) was announced as the successor to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. But only a day later Nintendo announced that this partnership had broken down and they would instead be partnering with Philips. Later it came out that Nintendo did not like the profit percentages that Sony wanted from marketing and selling the console. This resulted in Sony entering the console race themselves with their PlayStation and Nintendo essentially created their own boogeyman. The rest is history.

What If the deal was more balanced and Nintendo was happy with their profit margins and went forward with the Nintendo PlayStation?

I believe the console would have had the same success the Sony PlayStation enjoyed. Being on discs would allow for larger and more comprehensive games. More accomplished 3rd party developers would not have left Nintendo over the limitations of cartridges. Series like Final Fantasy, MegaMan, Castlevania would have never abandoned Nintendo during this generation for Sony as they would be one in the same.

The console wars would've stayed between Nintendo and Sega, and it is possible that Nintendo could have forced Sega out even before the Dreamcast. Microsoft's entry would have been a contender vs the heavyweight champion. Maybe Sega would have even partnered with Microsoft - who knows?

It could be argued that Nintendo would've gone along the same hardware advancements that Sony had in our timeline, meaning the 'better graphics' comparison would've been between Microsoft and Nintendo. All and all Nintendo could have become even more of an industry juggernaut. Popular, powerful hardware. Endless 1st and 3rd party support that never went through down periods. The elimination of competition and stronger competition to compete against as a result. Maybe Microsoft or the remnants of Sega would've dove into the handheld market to give the Gameboy and its eventual successor (DS? PSP? 3DSP?) a run for its money.

Maybe breakthrough successes like the Wii and Switch don't happen the same way, if at all. Or maybe the Switch is the eventual handheld successor while the Nintendo PlayStation 5 reigns supreme on home TVs.

Who knows for sure, but what if?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, here's my own suggestion: What if Nintendo had made their original NES licensees into 2nd Party developers, similar to how Rare and HAL were handled?

These licensees would have been Konami, Capcom, Namco, Bandai, and Jaleco.

My own thoughts are that many series associated with them would have gone very differently. For example, I can't see Street Fighter II being as big a hit - though characters like Q*Bert would likely have skyrocketed in popularity... going down the line, many more obscure series in this "timeline" would be much better known in the new one! Maybe Nintendo would start working with Taito in a similar way?... but it's also possible they never start working with Rare in the SNES era...

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Okay, here's my own suggestion: What if Nintendo had made their original NES licensees into 2nd Party developers, similar to how Rare and HAL were handled?

These licensees would have been Konami, Capcom, Namco, Bandai, and Jaleco.

My own thoughts are that many series associated with them would have gone very differently. For example, I can't see Street Fighter II being as big a hit - though characters like Q*Bert would likely have skyrocketed in popularity... going down the line, many more obscure series in this "timeline" would be much better known in the new one! Maybe Nintendo would start working with Taito in a similar way?... but it's also possible they never start working with Rare in the SNES era...
That’s a good one. With bigger companies under the umbrella we’re looking at enormous franchises being “Nintendo properties” smaller companies like Rare would likely not get as much notice or notoriety

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
That’s a good one. With bigger companies under the umbrella we’re looking at enormous franchises being “Nintendo properties” smaller companies like Rare would likely not get as much notice or notoriety
I think it would be really weird for modern Smash speculation, too. After all, picks like Simon, Mega Man, and Pac-Man would technically be "Nintendo Properties," so we'd likely have seen them all by Brawl - as well as potential other picks like Dig Dug, Q*Bert, and other characters from whole new IPs developed under these new and unusual circumstances!

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Instead we would be reaching for properties from small companies like Rare as they would have been overshadowed forever

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Instead we would be reaching for properties from small companies like Rare as they would have been overshadowed forever
I honestly don't think Rare would even exist by this point. Remember, by this point the most they'd really put out was Battletoads, but stuff like DKC would never be done by them because one of the other companies would probably have been chosen. Rare would likely fade into obscurity, a little like Data East and LJN in a sense.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think Rare would even exist by this point. Remember, by this point the most they'd really put out was Battletoads, but stuff like DKC would never be done by them because one of the other companies would probably have been chosen. Rare would likely fade into obscurity, a little like Data East and LJN in a sense.
I can’t tell if that’s a darker timeline or not haha

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Here's the second bullet point in the OP and one I've been pondering.

"What if Nintendo bought Rare" is a popular discussion topic so instead I'll be more specific - What if Rare's Kameo: Elements of Power and Grabbed by the Ghoulies had indeed come out on the GameCube before Microsoft was interested in purchasing the studio?

It's easy and agreeable to say that Rare's golden ages were on the SNES and N64 - nearly every release was a 'must have' or at least a 'must play' - that all changed when talented and experienced developers left the company for greener pastures. Dinosaur Planet's conversion into Star Fox Adventures was the last time the Rare logo flashed across a Nintendo console's screen (handhelds notwithstanding)

In our time several Rare employees have claimed that both Kameo and Grabbed by the Ghoulies were initially designed with the Nintendo audience in mind and when the games were remade on Microsoft hardware they found difficulty in re-aiming them towards the Xbox market. Kameo received favorable reviews but did not blow up sales and has never received a sequel. Grabbed by the Ghoulies received meh reviews (some of which compared the style and gameplay to Nintendo games) and sold poorly. Rare would then become the Xbox Kinect's developer making games specifically for the motion sensor accessory.

In this alternate timeline Microsoft wasn't so keen on acquiring this studio for one reason or another - so Rare wasn't going anywhere and their slate of upcoming GameCube games would not have to convert to the Xbox.

I believe if Kameo and Ghoulies released on the GameCube they both would have been met with much greater success. Both games' art styles effortlessly fit in alongside games like Pikmin and Windwaker and their simple yet effective gameplay mechanics would've opened them up to that family-friendly market Nintendo is known to cater to. I believe it is possibly, if not likely, that both games would have become series with sequels either on the GameCube itself of the Wii. And if Rare stayed put with Nintendo and released these successful games it is also possible that eventually Nintendo would no longer entertain the idea of allowing Microsoft to snag the studio and instead bring them into the fold. Maybe Rare staples like Banjo could've entered the Smash scene as early as Brawl with Kameo close behind. Who knows?

I also think Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Luigi's Mansion could have become somewhat of rivals within Nintendo's fandom. Both are 'horror' and 'survival' games with toony stakes for a family orientated haunted house experience. Luigi vs Cooper in a crossover game wouldn't be the most absurd thing ever considered. It certainly allows for creative imaginations to run wild.

But who knows?

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This is one that has always fascinated me: What if WarioWare was WaluigiWare?

Would Wario Land continue to make new games? Would WaluigiWare even be a success? Would Waluigi have got in Smash before Wario? What would Waluigi's motivation for making microgames be? Would Waluigi have made it to Mario Kart 7 with Wario in the dust? Would Waluigi still be the collossal meme he is today?

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
This is one that has always fascinated me: What if WarioWare was WaluigiWare?

Would Wario Land continue to make new games? Would WaluigiWare even be a success? Would Waluigi have got in Smash before Wario? What would Waluigi's motivation for making microgames be? Would Waluigi have made it to Mario Kart 7 with Wario in the dust? Would Waluigi still be the collossal meme he is today?
I really like this one. Wario stays in his platforming roots where Waluigi comes across as the bored billionaire who takes up tennis, kart racing, golf and eventually his own startup game company to fill his spare time. They’d be connected but separate characters with their own franchises.

not bad

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
What if Kid Icarus was always a mainstay franchise? The characters would have likely never been redesigned, Pit probably could have been one of the Original Smash characters, and we probably never would have gotten characters like Viridi and Hades...I can't tell if this is better or worse...

What if Sega won the Console Wars? Nintendo would be reduced to a third-party developer while Sega would probably be still making consoles (unless the Dreamcast still fails in this timeline) and there's a better chance that Sega would still be running with a lot of franchises instead of basically just Sonic...

My second ponder in my mind:
"What if Sakurai wasn't working in Nintendo Subsidary and he would got Cease and Desist for using Nintendo Character and he would use knock-off versions of them?" (NO OFFENSE AROUND, BUT I WAS WONDERING TODAY WHAT WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS)

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Nice! I’ve been meaning to add another scenario but work has been work. I’m hoping to post it soon to see what you all think of it

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
What if CP11 =

Fighter __ = __ Ahri __ ( League of Legends ) via Riot Games & Tencent

Master Chief = Mii Gunner
Crash Bandicoot = Mii brawler
Hollow Knight = Mii Sword Fighter

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • What if Nintendo had acquired Rareware. Perhaps we could have had more titles in the works from Banjo-Kazooie, Killer Instinct etc.
  • What if F-Zero, 1080 Snowboarding and Wave Race had a new game for the Nintendo Wii.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
What if Nintendo bought both Bandai Namco and Takara Tomy, just because they want to get back to their toy roots.
Could you imagine is Nintendo restarted their toy making endeavors? Every game release would feature a two pronged marketing campaign for not only the game but the adjacent toyline. Like amiibos on steroids

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
A lot of people are speculating on what it would be like if nintendo bought rare but honestly I’m more curious as to what it would be like if rare wasn’t bought by nintendo or microsoft and became more independent, so that they would publish games on all systems. Would they still have the same amount of games or not, and what would the company mostly do?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
A lot of people are speculating on what it would be like if nintendo bought rare but honestly I’m more curious as to what it would be like if rare wasn’t bought by nintendo or microsoft and became more independent, so that they would publish games on all systems. Would they still have the same amount of games or not, and what would the company mostly do?
If Rare went independent, I do wonder if they'd keep the rights to Banjo as he was created specifically for Nintendo to be their IP.

Here's another one: what if Nintendo phased out Mario as a mascot in the SNES era in favour of an edgier character to compete with Sonic? Who would be his replacement? DK? Link? Samus? Pit? Wario? A rehabilitated Bowser? Some obscure black box character? And what reprecaussions would this change have for Nintendo and gaming as a whole?

What if Bubsy 3D came out on the 32X before Jumping Flash did on PS1? Would retrospective opinions of the game be substantially different? How would it impact 3D gaming and, in turn, the Accolade and Bubsy brands today?

I still have some thoughts:

- "What if Nintendo started to remake NES titles on Super Famicom like they did to Wrecking Crew and ExciteBike, like if they remade Duck Hunt on SNES/Super Famicom (Instead of NES Zapper, you could use Super Scope) or Mysterious Murasame Castle remake on Super Famicom?"

- "What if SEGA and Nintendo have swapped their IPs like Sonic could be on Super Nintendo or Kirby on Sega Game Gear?"

- "What if Nintendo started to focus on Dead IPs (Notably F-Zero or Black Box franchises like Ice Climber) instead of making Mario Spinoff games?"

- "What if Nintendo made "Mario and Nintendo Allstars Racing" instead of SEGA making "Sonic and SEG Allstare Racing?"

- "What if Mario and Sonic were still Mascot rivals to today?"

- "What if Sakurai made "Dragon King: The Fighting Game" instead of Super Smash Bros. with Nintendo/3rd Party Characters and it would continue making "Dragon King" franchise?"

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Here's a point I was sort of thinking to myself recently... what if LABO were to continue with new projects and builds? It's a bizarre concept, but let's say in this world that LABO was popular enough to warrant it... let's take a look at what sort of things we could pull off.

First things first, let's look at peripherals from previous consoles - not necessarily Nintendo, by the way. My best example here is the Fishing Rod, which was also a peripheral for the Dreamcast, but technically the Piano and also the Vehicle Kit from other consoles overall. Not only this, but some concepts were unique, designed for the uses of the Switch itself - look, for instance, at the House as an example of this.

Also, just to clarify before I begin, this is like hella spur-of-the-moment, so I haven't done any research. Some things may have been considered or even might be fan-made projects! Here's some of my thoughts:
  1. A LABO "Light Gun." Similar to previous peripherals famous for being on Nintendo hardware, such as the NES Zapper, I feel like this is a weirdly obvious inclusion. Making sure that it keeps the cartoony appeal seen in other such peripherals, ensuring that Nintendo wouldn't "come under fire" for some sort of criticism over it, I think it's a surprisingly obvious choice. There's a lot of potential for external use here too, similar to the VR kit. As for form factor - I think a pair of Zappers as opposed to a single Super Scope would be good for multiplayer, but either could work well.

2. A LABO "Arcade Cabinet." I feel like a small-scale arcade cabinet made of cardboard, which you could slot your Joy-Cons into and maybe attach small joysticks to, would be an incredibly fun addition. Whilst I can't see it being particularly popular for the sake of the content included (I can imagine Nintendo making a couple of arcade-style games and maybe one or two based on their NES titles as a part of it, but still) but I can imagine it being very popular for, for instance, games like Smash - or even titles like Blaster Master Zero. It'd be a weird but fun way to control your games!

3. A LABO "puppet." This is probably one of the least likely, but I think it could be fun to have a sort of boxing game where you can make a small figure out of cardboard, putting the Joy-Cons as sensors in the figure's arms, and then using string to use them as a marionette of some sort. Even if you were to go and do it another way, such as using a mechanical way of doing it, I think it could be really fun to see as an evolution of the "LABO Man" concept!

4. A LABO "Ocarina." Whilst the idea of the Piano was really interesting to me, I think it really opens the door to various alternative musical ideas... and what better way to do it than with an instrument that Nintendo essentially brought into popularity! I feel like it could work similarly, using a mix of tactile buttons and sensors as opposed to holes, and it might be a little large - but hell, you could change it to become a trumpet if you wanted. It'd be a weird little thing, yeah, but who wouldn't want to see the start of a LABO band?!

5. A LABO "Arm Cannon." Yes, I know I mentioned the Light Gun earlier, but picture this. You could have a Joy-Con in the centre, acting as the sensor, and then a Joy-Con on the side, allowing you to change aspects such as the firing type, as well as letting you move around and stuff. I feel like when you consider that Nintendo has an IP like, well, Metroid, it'd be a fun and pretty cute thing to see!

6. LABO "Bongos." Look, Donkey Konga worked - and I think seeing the latest iteration of it in cardboard would be fun. Building from the mentioning of a LABO band earlier, I think that given how inventive games like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat were with the control scheme, you could pull some cool stuff off with this!
How would all of this work, though? Well... I'd personally suggest that this would be good to release given the nature of us having fairly recently gotten Game Builder Garage. The Joy-Cons are really cool things to experiment with, and I think that these cheaper LABO sets (or an all new collection, perhaps a Variety Pack 2?) would be amazing to see if they were a little cheaper - after all, you couldn't have to package in an all new development, just GBG!

This is... just a random thought. Some ideas here are way worse than others - hope y'all like them though!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
A LABO "puppet." This is probably one of the least likely, but I think it could be fun to have a sort of boxing game where you can make a small figure out of cardboard, putting the Joy-Cons as sensors in the figure's arms, and then using string to use them as a marionette of some sort. Even if you were to go and do it another way, such as using a mechanical way of doing it, I think it could be really fun to see as an evolution of the "LABO Man" concept!
A puppet controller is an interesting enough idea to justify an entire brand of its own rather than being tied to Labo IMO.

Top Bottom