• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo takes ownership of Astral Chain

astral-chain-switch-screenshot01.jpg

A few weeks ago, fans of Astral Chain noticed that PlatinumGames copyright from Astral Chain was removed. In a response from PlatinumGames, they have confirmed it: it is written as is on the website. In an interview that VGC did with PlatinumGames, Inaba released the following statement: "It's as it is written on the website: Astral Chain is their IP and as such there are limitations on how much we feel we can talk about."

What could this entail for future endeavors? Nobody really knows. It is now doubtful that Astral Chain will come to any other console. A sequel? Fans can hope.

Author's Note: Wow. I didn't expect that. I kind-of slept on Astral Chain - Maybe I should give it a go? I don't know. What are your thoughts?

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

wait, so Astral Chain was initially Platinum's IP initially... I wonder how it changed hands, outright purchase?

I'm more concerned as to what the limitations on them are about... if Nintendo is effectively putting a limit on what can be said, it can only heavily imply they have some kind of plan for it. that being said, if their track record with community plans are of any indication, I'm just as doubtful they're going to do anything with it... outside of potentially being possessive.

as for how it would translate as a Smash combatant... hmm, that's certainly a fun thing to speculate on, I'd likely claim that they'll probably be identified as "Officer Howard" (for those unaware, the player's surname remains the same, the unchosen gender is the younger sibling Akira Howard) or Legionis (the designation of a Neuron Officer with a Legion). they would definitely be designated as a puppet fighter, something along the lines of a desynced Ice Climbers. with substantially more control over the secondary character than, say Luma.

while Officer Howard is capable of fighting on their own (with a baton, a blaster, and a two handed weapon), the moveset really shines when the Legion is summoned. if past history is of any indication with other fighters with multiple weapon options (Byleth, Bayonetta, Dark Pit), it's likely that the starting Sword Legion will take point for the bulk of their moveset... if the other Legions make any appearance, chances are, they only appear for one strike. I'd also say that Unlike Arsene with Joker (since Sakurai's team probably thinks Persona 4 Arena has no business being referenced), the Legion can be attacked, and it'll be encouraged to do so since that's half the fighting force out of commission for a bit.

Last edited:
wait, so Astral Chain was initially Platinum's IP initially... I wonder how it changed hands, outright purchase?

I'm more concerned as to what the limitations on them are about... if Nintendo is effectively putting a limit on what can be said, it can only heavily imply they have some kind of plan for it. that being said, if their track record with community plans are of any indication, I'm just as doubtful they're going to do anything with it... outside of potentially being possessive.

as for how it would translate as a Smash combatant... hmm, that's certainly a fun thing to speculate on, I'd likely claim that they'll probably be identified as "Officer Howard" (for those unaware, the player's surname remains the same, the unchosen gender is the younger sibling Akira Howard) or Legionis (the designation of a Neuron Officer with a Legion).

while Officer Howard is capable of fighting on their own (with a baton, a blaster, and a two handed weapon), the moveset really shines when the Legion is summoned. if past history is of any indication with other fighters with multiple weapon options (Byleth, Bayonetta, Dark Pit), it's likely that the starting Sword Legion will take point for the bulk of their moveset... if the other Legions make any appearance, chances are, they only appear for one strike. I'd also say that Unlike Arsene with Joker (since Sakurai's team probably thinks Persona 4 Arena has no business being referenced), the Legion can be attacked, and it'll be encouraged to do so since that's half the fighting force out of commission for a bit.
Officer Howard would basically be Ice Climbers on anime as heck steroids.

Officer Howard would basically be Ice Climbers on anime as heck steroids.
yep, unless the design were to account for Platinum Ultimate difficulty, where the Legion taking damage also affects the player...

giving it some thought, that would be sensible to have the player take SOME damage if their legion is attacked, maybe at least half damage within a threshold... otherwise, it'd be like having a bulkier Luma, tanking the worst of an offensive whereas Rosalina can wait for a more-or-less free punish.

Top Bottom